A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki (2021)

1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Loki (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Because she's hitting the TVA itself with them, preventing it from pruning divergences.
    "Someone has bombed the sacred timeline!"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler: Fridge Brilliance
    Show
    Wait, was the reason we see TVA agents disintegrated by their own reset batons an early clue to the secret reveal that the TVA is staffed by variants?

Also...is that weird arm-baton stance the Minutemen use something out of a real martial art? It looks so odd when the weapon they're bracing is a melee weapon, but maybe there is logic I don't know.
    Show
    I don't think that it's a clue. We did see a cart get disintegrated when hit, so I am working under the assumption that the baton will vaporize anything, person or object, regardless of where it came from.

I couldn't find anything on the stance used. Dunno.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Sparks, kobold wizard

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Didn't the TVA hunters just let go off the variant (who turned out to be Sylvie) that stole oil so they can skip out on paperwork? Presumably, the reset device wouldn't take care of the variants themselves, just the timeline they messed up.
    My working theory is that "reset bombs" create localized, deniable apocalipses. They erase the variance, and "let time heal all wounds." Implying, of couse, that having an entire 1980s renfair removed from the sacred timeline is less disruptive than what would happen if a "red line" is crossed.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Random thought: Black Panther got hit by one of Sylvie's reset bombs. Noone knows what happened, he just doesnt exist anymore, and Wakanda needs to figure out what to do about the succession.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

The Avengers 1 timeline exists, and so does the Endgame version of the Avengers 1 timeline. Presumably, there's untouched Pompei eruptions as well as at least one where Mobius and Loki show up pronouncing the imminent end. This is also why the TVA has to show up after a nexus event happens. If you go back to before the event and change things so the event wouldn't happen, that just turns into another timeline copy with no effect on the actual problem.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

First thoughts on Episode 3 are hurray at Loki being recognized in Disney-Marvel canon as bi/pan!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fully on the train that Loki is currently under Sylvie's influence. It'd be just like him to assume he's immune to her magic because his will is too strong and it would be very appropriate for him to be hoisted on that arrogance. Also chalk me up on the side of The Sacred Timeline being more of a general thing with small variances allowed.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Endgame basically presupposes a timeline that HAS to be past it's "red line"- the SPACE timeline that's missing a Thanos and Thanos conquest fleet, as well as the Guardians team. With active moderation, 2012 and 1960 could become indestinguishable from the sacred timeline, and Thor 2 is only missing the hammer which cap will return, but SPACE is already engaged in the exact kind of multiversal warfare the TVA is supposed to prevent.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2021-06-25 at 08:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Endgame basically presupposes a timeline that HAS to be past it's "red line"- the SPACE timeline that's missing a Thanos and Thanos conquest fleet, as well as the Guardians team. With active moderation, 2012 and 1960 could become indestinguishable from the sacred timeline, and Thor 2 is only missing the hammer which cap will return, but SPACE is already engaged in the exact kind of multiversal warfare the TVA is supposed to prevent.
    So that bit of slight time shenaniganary involving past Thanos taking a swing at the bat was approved though. The sacred timeline included it, presumably because the Time Keepers thought it was cool or whatever other weird silly reason that they use to decide what series of events are canon. I do figure that when Tony used the Infinity Gauntlet to solve all his problems he undid whatever strange knot time had been wound into. Now that I think about it though, it might be that there was no way to avoid some bare minimum amount of time travel and they just wanted to do damage control at that point.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Show
    I don't think that it's a clue. We did see a cart get disintegrated when hit, so I am working under the assumption that the baton will vaporize anything, person or object, regardless of where it came from.

I couldn't find anything on the stance used. Dunno.
    Darn, that's right. I was thinking it only hit people...maybe the cart was a variant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn, that's right. I was thinking it only hit people...maybe the cart was a variant?
    Malicious bureaucratic furniture? Seems legit to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

My working theory is that "reset bombs" create localized, deniable apocalipses. They erase the variance, and "let time heal all wounds." Implying, of couse, that having an entire 1980s renfair removed from the sacred timeline is less disruptive than what would happen if a "red line" is crossed.
    The fair wasn't removed, though. The bomb only vaporised things that weren't supposed to be there, like a TVA helmet, and things that were moved, like one of the red-and-white lances.

I am not sure what else happened. Did the bomb reassemble the lance on its display stand? Did the woman who complained about the agents not being dressed right forget they ever met? Did it indeed "reset" the fair to the way it was before Sylvie arrived? Or did it overwrite the "deviant" fair with a copy-paste of the "sacred" fair at that moment? I am thinking the red line could represent the butterfly effect propagating beyond the radius of a reset bomb.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    The fair wasn't removed, though. The bomb only vaporised things that weren't supposed to be there, like a TVA helmet, and things that were moved, like one of the red-and-white lances.

I am not sure what else happened. Did the bomb reassemble the lance on its display stand? Did the woman who complained about the agents not being dressed right forget they ever met? Did it indeed "reset" the fair to the way it was before Sylvie arrived? Or did it overwrite the "deviant" fair with a copy-paste of the "sacred" fair at that moment? I am thinking the red line could represent the butterfly effect propagating beyond the radius of a reset bomb.
    Interesting- I missed that the first time around. looping back in time before the variance feels like it would cause more problems than it solves, but copying one timeline onto another really should be more than a "bomb".

An unstable multiversal portal that overwrites the "weaker" timeline with the "stronger" one? With the red line being the point where a variant timeline starts being able to influence the Sacred one back? But then what happened when Sylvie "bombed the sacred timeline"?

13. - Top - End - #313

Maybe a reset charge set off inside the Sacred Timeline itself creates a nexus event, because in the Sacred Timeline that didn't happen? Normally they are detonated inside the branching timeline, so they would erase themselves along with the rest of the branch.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe a reset charge set off inside the Sacred Timeline itself creates a nexus event, because in the Sacred Timeline that didn't happen? Normally they are detonated inside the branching timeline, so they would erase themselves along with the rest of the branch.
    But what would that do? If one fell out of a time portal next to T'challa and went off, would he be sending it to his sister for analysis, or would Wakanda have a mysterious succession crisis?

15. - Top - End - #315

But what would that do? If one fell out of a time portal next to T'challa and went off, would he be sending it to his sister for analysis, or would Wakanda have a mysterious succession crisis?
    I have no idea. Maybe we'll find out in the next episode. All we know right now is that it does cause a variance because of the bombing scene, not how or why.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea. Maybe we'll find out in the next episode. All we know right now is that it does cause a variance because of the bombing scene, not how or why.
    Yeah, same. And I feel the show might be playing the "What the Hela is going on?" card a bit too much.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For some reason I thought Sylvie altered the bombs so that they would destroy everything in a radius around them rather than just variants, and they would only destroy variants if unaltered.

18. - Top - End - #318

Didn't they set a bomb in the church in ep 1? I'm 99% sure they did. There were no variants there right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

It's a real shame this is only six episodes.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

20. - Top - End - #320
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    It's a real shame this is only six episodes.
    There's supposed to be a season 2 in the works.

21. - Top - End - #321

If there is, hopefully it's Kid Loki and leads into him getting a spot on Young Avengers- well, unless Hiddleston wants to still be in the role by then.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Didn't they set a bomb in the church in ep 1? I'm 99% sure they did. There were no variants there right?
    There was the kablooey candy, the dead tva agents, and the little girl that was given the kablooey.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    For some reason I thought Sylvie altered the bombs so that they would destroy everything in a radius around them rather than just variants, and they would only destroy variants if unaltered.
    Spoiler: time bombs
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the bombs don't just destroy variants, they destroy an entire section of a timeline somehow. They destroy a sequence of events. I don't think Sylvie needed to modify anything, she just had them rigged to go the through time portals to different locations along the timeline. And based on what she did next, I assume her plan was to cause enough chaos to get most of the agents to leave the headquarters to put out fires so that she could break in and kill the Time Keepers. Since she didn't just set off a bomb in the place, I'm guessing she doesn't want the entire TVA apparatus destroyed, just the leaders and their allies. Although, it might be that the bombs don't work in the TVA city because it is in some sort of timeless dimension? Although I'd think it is just in a far future, not actually outside of time.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    There was the kablooey candy, the dead tva agents, and the little girl that was given the kablooey.
    I don't think any of those count.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #325
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wouldn't a far simpler explanation to all this be...."Loki turning into a troll creates the variant timeline?" At least, that one doesn't require creating an entire alternative mythology where everything the show tells us about the TVA is actually a lie.
    I mean, given that we already *know* that the TVA is lying about the origin of its agents, that it's hard to parse why *Loki* should be the Variant and not the Avengers, and how the Time Keepers have lots of general context clues pointing at them being villains, despite Mobius' Owen Wilson charm--I think we probably *should* assume that the we can't trust the Miss Minutes presentation to be more accurate than it has to be for propaganda purposes.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't think any of those count.
    Not as far as the arrest-and-judge procedure is concerned, no. But if the reset bomb affected the TVA helmet and the displaced lance, I think it would react the same to the TVA corpses, the anachronic candy, and very possibly the girl with a mouth full of anachronic candy.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I mean, given that we already *know* that the TVA is lying about the origin of its agents, that it's hard to parse why *Loki* should be the Variant and not the Avengers, and how the Time Keepers have lots of general context clues pointing at them being villains, despite Mobius' Owen Wilson charm--I think we probably *should* assume that the we can't trust the Miss Minutes presentation to be more accurate than it has to be for propaganda purposes.
    I wouldn't neccessarily call the TVA/Timekeepers "villainous". They have an agenda to prevent wars between the timelines and nothing we've yet seen calls that into question. The setup seems more of a "the ends justify the means" extreme Lawful approach. The Timekeepers have decided how things have to happen by some critieria we don't know, and vaporizing entire timelines is worth the cost. Keeping the variant agents in the dark about their nature is just a level of control to keep them on task.

In other words, what the Timekeepers are doing is not NICE. It doesn't follow that they are doing it with evil motives. The phrase "for the greater good" springs readily to mind. And it appears at least one version of Loki disagrees with their assessment.

That said, I'm not ruling out the Timekeepers (or whoever is acting in their stead) being full on end-the-universe villains. I just think it's too early to call between evil, misguided, and actually being a force for good.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    They have an agenda to prevent wars between the timelines and nothing we've yet seen calls that into question.
    They say that's their agenda, but nothing we've seen corroborates it. Between their overall awfulness and their recently demonstrated lack of credibility, I think the safe bet is that the "prevent a multiversal war" claim is also a lie.

29. - Top - End - #329

My money is still on the technical truth. Either they won a multiversal war and want to preemptively stamp out rebellions, or they're trying to win one by pruning competitors.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My money is still on the technical truth. Either they won a multiversal war and want to preemptively stamp out rebellions, or they're trying to win one by pruning competitors.
    My money is on the former. The original description of what all happened sounds very much like that, just put in more palatable terms.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”