Thread: Loki (2021)

1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: Loki (2021)

Gonna agree with Psyren here.

Spoiler
    Show

Loki and Sylvie...uh, I hope not. If it was literally any other media/character in existence then I would be okay with it, but this new subtext just makes it extremely weird and definitely has negative implications from the previous episode.

The shot of

Spoiler
    Show

the asteroids falling and Sylvie's line about the ends of worlds was really great, though.

2. - Top - End - #392

Spoiler: Renslayer
    Show
    Renslayer is a female variant of Kang the Conqueror. Yay or Nay?
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Show
    We already know that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jonathan Majors will be Kang in Quantumania

so while this could be an interesting twist I doubt that it's going to be the case here. In other words, the chances of both being the same character are very slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not likely for another reason as well- Ravonna (Renslayer's first name) is a known character from Kang's mythos- his love interest, the one woman who stood up to him. So while there is a strong connection to Kang... and for that matter, there has been a female Kang in the past on the Crosstime Council of Kangs (yes, that was a thing. Comics, everyone!) who might even have been Ravonna... it's very unlikely that they'd introduce Kang's love interest as a variant of himself, especially after they've just done exactly that with Loki.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

Wait, what's Quantumania?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Isnt it antman 3? Antman is the one that mainly has to do with quantum stuff.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Ant Man 3 (the full title is Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Why would Kang be in the Quantum realms?

So, we learned Pym particles help with time travel in End Game I guess. Is that why Kang gets involved you think?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

So, we learned Pym particles help with time travel in End Game I guess. Is that why Kang gets involved you think?
    Only Disney knows

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Spoiler: Blink and you'll miss it
    Show
    The time city of Chronopolis that he is ruler of appears to be located there in the MCU. Rewatch this clip from Ant-Man and the Wasp, at 3:07 in the background:

As for why - the whole point of the Quantum Realm is that it is outside of the regular flow of time in some way - what better place? Hell, the TVA might be there - they might even be one and the same!

Also also:

Spoiler: Kang's real name
    Show
    Kang is the alias of one Nathaniel Richards. Yes, he's related to THAT Richards. So being smart enough to figure out the Quantum Realm and be able to live there would pretty much be a given.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-07-06 at 11:13 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #401

NinjaGuy

Whoa boy, that was another doozy. Probably my favourite of the series to date. My random thoughts:

Spoiler: Ep5 Journey into Mystery
    Show

- THANOS COPTER IS NOW CANON IN AT LEAST ONE TIMELINE THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY
    - Every bit with ClassicLoki and AlligatorLoki was fantastic (with one exception*), loved the fight with PresidentLoki's gang. And that moment when kidLoki said that his nexus event was killing Thor, damn.
    - Super happy that Mobius is still around, I know some in the thread have aren't that happy that he's just being Owen Wilson doing another Owen Wilson character, but I think he's got a great rapport with Loki - and now Sylvie too.
    - Likewise, really come to appreciate the rapport between Loki & Sylvie. To be honest I really didn't find them connecting at all in Ep3/Lamentis (which has lead to that episode being the weakest out of the bunch** for me) but Eps 4+5 turned that around completely.
    - Renslayer ... I don't really know what her deal is at this point. Prior to this episode I thought she was completely in on the charade, but then everyone in this episode thought that she was trying to find out the truth as well and .. I'm not convinced? I don't know, it's a hard feeling to put into words. On that note, I'm disappointed that Sylvie didn't catch on to her completely obvious betrayal instantly, you're a Loki for goodness sake.
    - Apparently Alioth is a thing from the comics, looks like a fairly neat translation into the MCU.

* CLASSIC LOKI NOOOOOOOO, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL HIM DAMMIT.
    ** So far, let's hope the finale doesn't disappoint.

Last edited by thatSeniorGuy; 2021-07-07 at 06:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Whoa boy, that was another doozy. Probably my favourite of the series to date. My random thoughts:

Spoiler: Ep5 Journey into Mystery
    Show

- THANOS COPTER IS NOW CANON IN AT LEAST ONE TIMELINE THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY
    - Every bit with ClassicLoki and AlligatorLoki was fantastic (with one exception*), loved the fight with PresidentLoki's gang. And that moment when kidLoki said that his nexus event was killing Thor, damn.
    - Super happy that Mobius is still around, I know some in the thread have aren't that happy that he's just being Owen Wilson doing another Owen Wilson character, but I think he's got a great rapport with Loki - and now Sylvie too.
    - Likewise, really come to appreciate the rapport between Loki & Sylvie. To be honest I really didn't find them connecting at all in Ep3/Lamentis (which has lead to that episode being the weakest out of the bunch** for me) but Eps 4+5 turned that around completely.
    - Renslayer ... I don't really know what her deal is at this point. Prior to this episode I thought she was completely in on the charade, but then everyone in this episode thought that she was trying to find out the truth as well and .. I'm not convinced? I don't know, it's a hard feeling to put into words. On that note, I'm disappointed that Sylvie didn't catch on to her completely obvious betrayal instantly, you're a Loki for goodness sake.
    - Apparently Alioth is a thing from the comics, looks like a fairly neat translation into the MCU.

* CLASSIC LOKI NOOOOOOOO, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL HIM DAMMIT.
    ** So far, let's hope the finale doesn't disappoint.

Spoiler
    Show
    I must have missed the Thanos Copter bit. Where was it?

Spoiler
    Show
    When the group is going into the bunker for the first time, did anyone else notice a small figure scrambling around near Mjolnir?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I must have missed the Thanos Copter bit. Where was it?

Spoiler
    Show
    When the group is going into the bunker for the first time, did anyone else notice a small figure scrambling around near Mjolnir?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just before 9 minutes in, there's a crashed and vine covered yellow helicopter with THANOS written on the tail.

Yes, it looked like a miniature Thor trapped in a jar jumping for MeowMeow.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: Loki variants
    Show
    Classic Loki steals every scene he's in and his final moments were glorious. What surprised me though is that his ruse didn't "ping" the TVA, since a Loki's life record doesn't extend past his encounter with Thanos.

I sure hope that Young Avengers rumour is true. I want to see more of that young Thorkiller Loki, and it looks to me his role for this season is done.

I'm just not getting the Gator Loki humor. I didn't like Groot either, which it reminded me of.

I would've loved to see more of Boastful Loki and an explanation on his hammer. Was he really lying that he beat Iron Man and Cap?

The other Lokis felt so tacked on and underutilized, but the betrayals work as reinforcement of what generic Lokis are supposed to be about. Speaking of which...

The possibility of betrayal is being telegraphed so hard. That aforementioned scene. The love-dagger metaphor. Sylvie asking if MC Loki will end up betraying her. At this point, I'm expecting it to happen, possibly Sylvie being the one to do it.

Spoiler: TVA
    Show
    Glad to see Mobius again, but what is he supposed to do again once he's back at the TVA? He'll likely get pruned in short order if he starts conflict, alongside whoever he told TVA's secret to. That is, unless Ravonna will be able to convince him to work with her in finding out the truth.

I'm confused on how Ravonna's story thread will end, though. If she's not in on the Timekeepers secret, then Kang is very unlikely to be the BBEG, which is good because a last-minute new character addition wouldn't work for me. I feel like all these conflict against Sylvie and eventually against the TVA seem so inconsequential that even Ravonna, who appears to be the most prominent antagonist figure, is clueless as to what she's even fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I saw Mjolnir and what looked like a mini-Thor. From what I was told, it's Frog Thor (Throg) from the comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler: Loki variants
    Show
    Classic Loki steals every scene he's in and his final moments were glorious. What surprised me though is that his ruse didn't "ping" the TVA, since a Loki's life record doesn't extend past his encounter with Thanos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what I understand, variants don't ping the TVA. If you oversleep for work when you're not supposed to and your boss says "No harm no foul" and everybody forgets it, that doesn't cause the TVA to come and prune you because the overall timeline hasn't changed. Your life still plays out the way it was supposed to apart from an hour or so when you were 20, and a new timeline isn't created. It's the same principle as changing your actions during an apocalypse - nobody who matters is affected, ergo no ripples creating a Nexus Event.

Classic Loki is the grand scale version of that. He pretended to die, and then for all intents and purposes stayed dead. He didn't influence the timeline past the point of his "death" because he was living alone on a remote planet and nobody knew he was alive. The timeline rolled on without noticing his survival.

Then he decides to reveal himself to the universe, to drop back in on Thor and see how he's doing. Instant Nexus Event, the TVA shows up, he gets pruned.

This also explains why there are so many "weird" Lokis. The Lokis can be very different from one another externally, but as long as they fulfill their role in the timeline the TVA don't care. It's only when they do something out of line (like killing Thor) that the TVA pings them and prunes them.

What makes me curious is why Sylvie got pruned. She wasn't doing anything untoward, she was just sat there playing with toys. Was it something she did? Was it a change in her thought processes that changed her future? Or was Ravonna running her own agenda even then?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Sylvie and Ravonna
    Show

I found that bit very in character, specifically because she is a Loki. Loki is a treacherous trickster, but he also thinks he's smarter than everyone else. That gives him a giant blind spot when it comes to other people tricking him, as we saw to glorious effect with the LokiFight and its multilayered betrayals.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What makes me curious is why Sylvie got pruned. She wasn't doing anything untoward, she was just sat there playing with toys. Was it something she did? Was it a change in her thought processes that changed her future?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely the latter. She was playing "Valkyrie saves Asgard from a dragon", when she should have been playing "Princess seizes the throne of Asgard".

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what I understand, variants don't ping the TVA. If you oversleep for work when you're not supposed to and your boss says "No harm no foul" and everybody forgets it, that doesn't cause the TVA to come and prune you because the overall timeline hasn't changed. Your life still plays out the way it was supposed to apart from an hour or so when you were 20, and a new timeline isn't created. It's the same principle as changing your actions during an apocalypse - nobody who matters is affected, ergo no ripples creating a Nexus Event.

Classic Loki is the grand scale version of that. He pretended to die, and then for all intents and purposes stayed dead. He didn't influence the timeline past the point of his "death" because he was living alone on a remote planet and nobody knew he was alive. The timeline rolled on without noticing his survival.

Then he decides to reveal himself to the universe, to drop back in on Thor and see how he's doing. Instant Nexus Event, the TVA shows up, he gets pruned.

This also explains why there are so many "weird" Lokis. The Lokis can be very different from one another externally, but as long as they fulfill their role in the timeline the TVA don't care. It's only when they do something out of line (like killing Thor) that the TVA pings them and prunes them.

What makes me curious is why Sylvie got pruned. She wasn't doing anything untoward, she was just sat there playing with toys. Was it something she did? Was it a change in her thought processes that changed her future? Or was Ravonna running her own agenda even then?
    Spoiler
    Show

The show's approach to multiverse is a weird mashup of "Different timelines" and the classic comic "Alternate Worlds"

Like, some of the Lokis are "Loki if X happened", others seem to be "Loki, from a timeline that diverged long enough ago that Loki is a substantially different person".

Which doesn't quite gel with the idea that the TVA is preserving "The Sacred Timeline", since in that case they should have intervened long before that point.

If the Sacred Timeline requires Tom Hiddleston Loki, then how did a Timeline even get to the point of having an Alligator Loki?

We did see, from Loki and Sylvie's "Connection" that the act of decision can form a nexus event. Presumably, the TVA prefers to show up at that point, before the timeline can start branching. Except we've seen enough wildly different Lokis that, all things considered, SHOULD have had their timelines pruned before they could get to that point.

Like, Sylvie says that her crime was being born the Goddess of Mischief, but if that were the case, the TVA would have grabbed her earlier and reset the timeline. Just how in episode 1 the TVA intervened once Loki was in Mongolia, not when he was in New York surrounded by Avengers and SHIELD agents.

Like, it's possible the writers just want to have their cake and eat it too, playing with the idea of Multiverse and "The Sacred Timeline" simultaneously even if it doesn't make a ton of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #409
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The show's approach to multiverse is a weird mashup of "Different timelines" and the classic comic "Alternate Worlds"

Like, some of the Lokis are "Loki if X happened", others seem to be "Loki, from a timeline that diverged long enough ago that Loki is a substantially different person".

Which doesn't quite gel with the idea that the TVA is preserving "The Sacred Timeline", since in that case they should have intervened long before that point.

If the Sacred Timeline requires Tom Hiddleston Loki, then how did a Timeline even get to the point of having an Alligator Loki?

We did see, from Loki and Sylvie's "Connection" that the act of decision can form a nexus event. Presumably, the TVA prefers to show up at that point, before the timeline can start branching. Except we've seen enough wildly different Lokis that, all things considered, SHOULD have had their timelines pruned before they could get to that point.

Like, Sylvie says that her crime was being born the Goddess of Mischief, but if that were the case, the TVA would have grabbed her earlier and reset the timeline. Just how in episode 1 the TVA intervened once Loki was in Mongolia, not when he was in New York surrounded by Avengers and SHIELD agents.

Like, it's possible the writers just want to have their cake and eat it too, playing with the idea of Multiverse and "The Sacred Timeline" simultaneously even if it doesn't make a ton of sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Classic Loki's explanation for that was good enough. He didn't cause a nexus event until he tried to return to the world after his 'death. So its not that you have to be Tom Hiddleston Loki, but that you have to do everything important TH Loki does, when he does it. Lokis are inherently chaotic though and refuse to stick to 'the plan' by their nature. Sylvie saying her divergence was being born mus be hyperbole, because she tries to interrogate Ravonna as to her nexus event.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: multiverse
    Show
    For me the answer is simply this. They're lying about how the Multiverse and timeline work. We have zero reason to believe what they're saying about how the universe works is true.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

21. - Top - End - #411

Loved it. Stoked for the finale.

Spoiler: Idle Sylvie Theory
    Show
    It's strange to me that of all the wild and wacky permutations, she is the ONLY female Loki.
    But what if she isn't actually Loki?

I mean to say, she is Loki - Loki became Loki when he/they were adopted into Asgard royalty by Odin. But Sylvie from the comics, Sylvie Lushton, was an ordinary human who was fooled into thinking she was Asgardian by Loki, and became the Enchantress as a result. Could something similar have happened to this girl? What if what sets her apart is that she was in fact the only Loki who was not born, but made?

Her Nexus Event could simply have occurred when she - the wrong being - accepted her place in the family, and began thinking of herself as Loki in truth. The show's ultimate reveal might simply be that she is the most different Loki of all, by not actually being a Loki, until she chose to be. This would also neatly tie up any lingering squick from their blossoming "romance" if they aren't actually time-duplicates of one another, but rather two independent beings who happen to share a title.

I won't actually mind if that one ends up not being true but I thought it was interesting.

Spoiler: Classic Loki
    Show
    I loved the idea that if Loki simply gave up on his ambitions for conquest and (quite literally) his backstabbing nature, symbolized by eschewing blades, that he (and the rest of him) can see the true potential and dizzying heights his magic can reach. Going from Major Image to Mirage Arcana is a pretty strong indicator of what a Loki who breaks free of the TVA's tyrannical cycle can ultimately accomplish.

Spoiler: TVA
    Show
    Glad to see Mobius again, but what is he supposed to do again once he's back at the TVA? He'll likely get pruned in short order if he starts conflict, alongside whoever he told TVA's secret to. That is, unless Ravonna will be able to convince him to work with her in finding out the truth.

I'm confused on how Ravonna's story thread will end, though. If she's not in on the Timekeepers secret, then Kang is very unlikely to be the BBEG, which is good because a last-minute new character addition wouldn't work for me. I feel like all these conflict against Sylvie and eventually against the TVA seem so inconsequential that even Ravonna, who appears to be the most prominent antagonist figure, is clueless as to what she's even fighting for.
    Spoiler: Mobius
    Show
    I suspect his first step will be locating and releasing B-15. No doubt Sylvie told him about her and that he'd have a powerful ally if she's freed. And given how easily she subdued Loki even outside the TVA, I suspect she'll be a badass fighter who will keep him from being pruned again.

Spoiler: Ravonna
    Show
    You're assuming that she has to have a pre-existing connection to Kang in order for Kang to be involved. What you're not considering is the possibility that she IS just a brainwashed variant, but having found that out, simply doesn't care. Maybe her life pre-TVA actually sucked, and she is embracing her new role as an enforcer. And furthermore, she's determined to find the Man Behind the Curtain - but is doing so in order to swear fealty.

In other words, she can still end up roughly where she is in the comics - Kang's right hand - in spite of having been a dupe up until this point, rather than a willing accomplice, merely by becoming a willing accomplice now.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Spoiler: multiverse
    Show
    For me the answer is simply this. They're lying about how the Multiverse and timeline work. We have zero reason to believe what they're saying about how the universe works is true.
    Exactly. For that matter, a random thought I had earlier:

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    What if the TVA is nowhere near as old as we were led to believe? I half wonder if it even existed prior to the Avengers' time-heist, in fact.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Exactly. For that matter, a random thought I had earlier:

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    What if the TVA is nowhere near as old as we were led to believe? I half wonder if it even existed prior to the Avengers' time-heist, in fact.
    Where time travel is involved, something could be as old as time and brand new *at the same time,* after all. Like how it's my headcanon that, in Deep Space Nine, Sisko was always meant to be the Emissary--but that only *became* always true after he met the Prophets.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Show
    I suspect his first step will be locating and releasing B-15. No doubt Sylvie told him about her and that he'd have a powerful ally if she's freed. And given how easily she subdued Loki even outside the TVA, I suspect she'll be a badass fighter who will keep him from being pruned again.

Show
    You're assuming that she has to have a pre-existing connection to Kang in order for Kang to be involved. What you're not considering is the possibility that she IS just a brainwashed variant, but having found that out, simply doesn't care. Maybe her life pre-TVA actually sucked, and she is embracing her new role as an enforcer. And furthermore, she's determined to find the Man Behind the Curtain - but is doing so in order to swear fealty.

In other words, she can still end up roughly where she is in the comics - Kang's right hand - in spite of having been a dupe up until this point, rather than a willing accomplice, merely by becoming a willing accomplice now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did consider B-15. But after her conversation with Ravonna, I'm getting the feeling that they're on an uneasy alliance at the moment. So unless Ravonna is able to also sell that alliance of convenience to Mobius as I mentioned earlier, I'm just not confident B-15 will be his protector.

As for Ravonna being a blind follower of whoever's in charge, while that's technically a possible resolution, I'm still cautiously optimistic on how this will end. The first 2 episodes are tightly connected to each other narratively, especially on the TVA aspect, but only marginally consequential to where they're heading to in the finale.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

25. - Top - End - #415

Spoiler
    Show
    I did consider B-15. But after her conversation with Ravonna, I'm getting the feeling that they're on an uneasy alliance at the moment. So unless Ravonna is able to also sell that alliance of convenience to Mobius as I mentioned earlier, I'm just not confident B-15 will be his protector.

As for Ravonna being a blind follower of whoever's in charge, while that's technically a possible resolution, I'm still cautiously optimistic on how this will end. The first 2 episodes are tightly connected to each other narratively, especially on the TVA aspect, but only marginally consequential to where they're heading to in the finale.
    Uh.... "alliance?" With the person who has you indefinitely locked up without trial? Were we watching the same episoode?

And I'm not sure why
    Show
    Ravonna turning out to be okay with temporal oppression in spite of her origins

opposes "optimism" for the series as a whole.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Uh.... "alliance?" With the person who has you indefinitely locked up without trial? Were we watching the same episoode?

And I'm not sure why
    Show
    Ravonna turning out to be okay with temporal oppression in spite of her origins

opposes "optimism" for the series as a whole.
    Yes. The same way MC Loki was temporarily allied with the organization that wanted him pruned for his temporal crimes. Were we watching the same series?

The series hasn't ended yet, so we don't know exactly how Ravonna's story thread is gonna conclude and how much whichever direction MCU chooses will make sense.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

What is especially frustrating to me is that episode 1 baked that double cake in a satisfying way, only for the rest of the series to ignore this.

Long ago, there was a vast multiversal war. Countless unique timelines battled each other for supremacy, nearly resulting in the total destruction of, well, everything. But then the all knowing time keepers emerged, bringing peace by reorganising the multiverse into a single timeline, the sacred timeline.

So, why not simply introduce the Lokis as remnants of the pre-TVA multiverse? Plus that would really emphasize Loki as a survivor, if so many of hims made it through this multiversal collapse.

But nooo. Instead, we have the TVA seemingly managing multiple timelines, trying to keep them within some general script. I guess that still includes a timeline where Loki is an alligator, only he did not step out of line by "eating the wrong neighbor's cat".

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    So, why not simply introduce the Lokis as remnants of the pre-TVA multiverse? Plus that would really emphasize Loki as a survivor, if so many of hims made it through this multiversal collapse.

But nooo. Instead, we have the TVA seemingly managing multiple timelines, trying to keep them within some general script. I guess that still includes a timeline where Loki is an alligator, only he did not step out of line by "eating the wrong neighbor's cat".
    Mobius did say he didn’t remember the TVA arresting any alligators. Maybe Alligator!Loki was lying about being a variant? I admit I’m reaching here.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I think we can all be confident in saying that the series decided partway through that it was bored of its own premise and is quietly ignoring it.

Likely giving the MCU TV series' a three for three record on interesting starts that fall to bits in the back half.

30. - Top - End - #420

I really wanted more after this episode (in a good way). Really enjoyed it. :3

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Cake
    Show
    I think that's one of the underlying messages for the audience to have by the end of this-- don't get wrapped up in the canon and the idea there is only one timeline, because it can otherwise stifle some really good story ideas.

I've read a lot of comics and those sure do a lot of rewriting history and canon. Still love the stories despite that, though. :3

Also, with this show messing around with it's own internal logic of how the TVA operates timeline pruning and adjustments, it could be just an unreliable narrator thing as it seems even the TVA was lied to as how their job works; the time keepers weren't real, pruning didn't disintegrate the victim, the agents are all varients, etc.

Loved it. Stoked for the finale.
    Show
    Show
    Don't forget that there were about half a dozen agents that saw Mobius pruned. Him coming back like nothing is going to raise a lot of questions and doubts about the TVA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Mobius did say he didn’t remember the TVA arresting any alligators. Maybe Alligator!Loki was lying about being a variant? I admit I’m reaching here.
    Spoiler: More Mobius
    Show
    It's possible our Mobius came onboard the TVA after that arrest. If agents are just brainwashed varients, there might have been previous Mobius agents before and considering how they can go through agents like tissue paper, they probably had to replace him at least once (I think back to the scene where Ravonna tells him to use a coaster for his drink and he doesn't remember making those water stains).
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-07-08 at 06:41 AM.