New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Looking for some suggestions

So, I am looking to start a Youtube series (relatively) soon. It's going to be an anime review series, but with a few tweaks to the usual formula. First off, I will not be covering any new series on it, they will all need to be 10 years old or older (so released in 2011 or earlier, as of posting). Second, I will actually not be talking about series that are well known or quite popular in any way, so series like Yu-Yu Hakusho or InuYasha are out. Lastly, I will be presenting them from as objective as viewpoint as I can, trying to give a balanced analysis of it, and let my viewers decide if it sounds like a good series or not. My hope with this is that people find anime they enjoy and can really get into, which would have otherwise been lost in the mists of time. I'm posting this here because I would like to get some suggestions of series to include in this series of mine, to make sure I can get a good handful of episodes up and try to draw in viewers. Here are the ones I already know I want to cover in it:

Spoiler: Anime List
    Show
    Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge
    Yami to Boshi to hon no Tabibito
    Venus Versus Virus
    Medabots
    Fighting Foodons
    Tokyo Mew Mew

If anyone has ideas for other series that would fit my criteria (10+ years old and not very well known), please go ahead and share them! Or, if you feel some of the ones I am planning on already may not be appropriate, then go ahead and let me know your reasons, and I'll consider removing them. Thanks a lot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Looking for some suggestions

I'm sure I don't know what counts as "well-known" anime any more. How about Haibane Renmei, or Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran? They had DVD releases in English translation, but I don't think they were ever on television. But I like them both.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2021-04-05 at 02:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

SwashbucklerGuy

Wondering what counts as 'well known' is definitely a problem, but I may have a solution. Look the series up on MAL, and see how many people have reviewed it. Of the six I mentioned, two of them (Akahori and Fighting Foodons) both had fewer than 2000 reviews total, as compared to Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the favorite series of the people who maintain the site, with well over a million. I think having fewer than 400K reviewers on there would be a reasonable criteria for it.

EDIT: Also, the one with the most reviews of them seems to be Tokyo Mew Mew with a little less than 60K, so yeah
    Last edited by Aleolus; 2021-04-14 at 04:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

I'd suggest Samurai Champloo. It's at about 475k reviews on MAL, so it's over your limit, but I don't think it gets talked about much as its own product - I almost always see it spoken of in comparison to Cowboy Bebop, usually in the vein of "let's examine why this wasn't as successful as Bebop." I'd be interested to see a more objective analysis that meets the series on it's own terms.
    Last edited by quinron; 2021-04-14 at 03:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

You are throwing an extremely wide net - I'm sure there are countless anime that fit your criteria, especially if they only need to have less than 400,000 reviews (which at least for me, sounds like a whole lot).
    You probably want to have diversity of genres in your first videos so you won't seem like you only cover a specific genre, but other than that, you probably have specific genres which you'll rather watch and review.
    I'm guessing you won't cover any hentai or ecchi animes. You could also rule out old shows which had sequels in the last decade (like full metal panic).
    If it's supposed to be a long running series of videos, or of indefinite length, people in the comments would suggest animes for you to review anyways, so I don't think you should bother making a comprehensive list before starting. 6 animes looks like a good start to me.
    If you want to attract viewers, and you don't already have a significant subscriber base, expect it to take a while - since you specifically aim for unfamiliar shows, people won't search videos or reviews for them often. You could try to generate interest in those shows to indirectly raise views, but that might be hard.
    If you'll narrow your criteria further, I'll throw in some names.

P.S. please send me the link when you post the Venus vs Virus video.
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Give Noein a look, it's pretty...interesting. Looks like ~25k reviews on MAL. Not sure if I'm looking in the right spot. I particularly like this one, which fits my experience very well.

I briefly considered starting this review by summarizing the show's plot, but it's my opinion that Noein should win an award for “hardest plot to summarize,” so at the risk of making an idiot of myself, I decided against it. I then considered describing the concept in popular science that is behind Noein's plot, but that's almost as complicated as the plot. I'll spare myself some embarrassment.
    Black Jack is worth a look, as one of Osamu Tezuka's (Astro Boy, Cyborg 009, etc.) more overlooked creations. I believe I watched the OVA, but I'm not sure. There was some wild **** on the "For Kids" section ob Comcast Instant Video in the early 00s. Less than 9k reviews. 11 written ones.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn, one of the casualties of the dominance of the Big Three back in the day; a gag comedy series turned shonen action that never quite managed to do either right enough, IMO. At least it had Ryohei. ~200k reviews.

If you're looking to review a manga, try Parasyte. While the anime does not fit your criteria (800k reviews, and recent...er, well, jeez 2014 is past your cutoff anyway; time flies), the manga is a late 80s/early 90s creation that bears significant aesthetic differences from the anime, which might be worth a discussion topic of its own. I love both, but the manga is lesser known and IMO has a bit more aesthetic charm and grit than the adaptation. ~40k reviews for the manga.

I'll add more if I think of them.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-04-14 at 07:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    You are throwing an extremely wide net - I'm sure there are countless anime that fit your criteria, especially if they only need to have less than 400,000 reviews (which at least for me, sounds like a whole lot).
    You probably want to have diversity of genres in your first videos so you won't seem like you only cover a specific genre, but other than that, you probably have specific genres which you'll rather watch and review.
    I'm guessing you won't cover any hentai or ecchi animes. You could also rule out old shows which had sequels in the last decade (like full metal panic).
    If it's supposed to be a long running series of videos, or of indefinite length, people in the comments would suggest animes for you to review anyways, so I don't think you should bother making a comprehensive list before starting. 6 animes looks like a good start to me.
    If you want to attract viewers, and you don't already have a significant subscriber base, expect it to take a while - since you specifically aim for unfamiliar shows, people won't search videos or reviews for them often. You could try to generate interest in those shows to indirectly raise views, but that might be hard.
    If you'll narrow your criteria further, I'll throw in some names.

P.S. please send me the link when you post the Venus vs Virus video.
    I have some subs, the problem is that most of them are from years ago when I first started my channel and was (unintentionally) pirating anime. I took the first couple episodes of Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge, split them into three eps of 9 mins each and uploaded those. Hence both why I am wanting to get back into anime videos (get back to my roots), as well as why that particular series is on this list. And hentai is definitely out, ecchi will depend on how intense the ecchi is. Something along the lines of Rosario Vampire would be fine, whereas something like Highschool DxD or Testament of Sister New Devil definitely wouldn't.

8. - Top - End - #8

Here are some animes for you, all with less than 400,000 reviews:
    1) Ergo proxy: while I feel that this anime quality dropped significantly from a certain point, it is definitely an anime which will be easy to talk about at length.
    2) Paranoia agent: violent, horror, less paranoia than you probably expect from the title.
    3) Serial experiments lain: a very confusing series.
    4) Tezuka Osamu no Don Dracula: a funny anime, less than a 1000 reviews.

Also, I would like to note that legend of the galactic heroes has around 53,000 reviews, but is ranked #7 in MAL.
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Seconding Paranoia Agent and Lain, can't really recommend Ergo Proxy... that had a few interesting episodes and looked really good, but then sort of went up its own ass into incoherent navelgazing. And I usually like incoherent navel gazing.

Anyway... never been on MAL before, don't actually see where you see number of reviews. Number of people reviewing maybe?

Entirely apart from that, Mushishi needs to be added to this list, because I feel it needs to be on every list. A very nice, mostly quiet, fantasy antology show, about a travelling scholar in medieval-ish Japan-ish studying various supernatural phenomena involving spirits. Some light horror occasionally, very slow and moody.

Also, it's kind of a crime that not more people talk about Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit, in English). A mature (in the "written for actual adults" sense, not the "tits and gore" sense) fantasy series with excellents character work and world building and some sparse and low-key, but very well done fight scenes. The young crown prince has a powerful water spirit bound to him and must flee the palace, so the empress hires a travelling mercenary to be his body guard against the imperial agents tailing him. It goes from there.

THinking about my recommendations here, maybe I'm just a sucker for characters standing in beautifully rendered sets, drinking tea and philosophizing. Almost everything else I can think of I actually like is probably too popular. There's just in general not a lot of anime I like, and most of what I do tend to be movies.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Entirely apart from that, Mushishi needs to be added to this list, because I feel it needs to be on every list. A very nice, mostly quiet, fantasy antology show, about a travelling scholar in medieval-ish Japan-ish studying various supernatural phenomena involving spirits. Some light horror occasionally, very slow and moody.
    Wait Mushishi should be classified as less popular ? How can that be, it's one of the most beautiful shows I ever watched. It's great, and i love that opening theme by Ally Kerr
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being – literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

By the definition of this thread, I mean. 200'000 people rated it, 400'000 is the cutoff here.

So, it's reasonably well-known, but not like Full Metal Alchemist or Attack on Titan or any of the other big ones everyone has heard about.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-04-23 at 03:26 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Then Trigun should be on top of your list, it has 280k reviews, but still it would be mostly due the fact it was released in 1998 and not beceou it wasnt popular :)
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being – literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

I am using the number of reviews more as a guideline than a definitive cutoff point, though I do think I will drop it down from 400K to 100K, since that is still a lot of people knowing about the show, and all the ones I listed were less than 100K.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, let me ransack my mind for old memories.
    Midori no Hibiki
    Gokudo
    Aachi & SSipak (I think this one was Korean? Not technically anime.)
    Kamen no Maid Guy
    Yuugen Kaisha
    Golden Boy

Those are all the memorable shows I can remember from high school off hand. They're sure to be older than 10 years, and I suspect they're pretty obscure too.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

I remember Golden Boy, and I think that one might be pushing the envelope a little bit for Youtube. I've also seen like, one episode of Kamen no Maid Guy, and thought it looked hilarious, but could never find any more to watch