New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post The OOTS Cosmology

For speculating about the cosmology of the OOTS solar system.
    get dunked on lol

Epic avatar by linkele

Currently DMing: Curse of (super sexy) Strahd

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are reading this, then you have some serious dedication.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Cosmology

Quote Originally Posted by georger0171 View Post
    For speculating about the cosmology of the OOTS solar system.
    The inside part is on the inside, and the outside part is on the inside as well.

The top part is also on the inside.

It’s a sort of inside cosmology.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-04-05 at 06:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there's the earth, and we also see one sun and one moon. And plenty of stars.

At the end of How the Paladin Got His Scar, we do in fact get a glimpse of the material solar system.

Spoiler: Cosmic Spoils
    Show
    There's the aforementioned sun and moon and earth, and there seem to be two planet-like entities closer to the sun. There's also a rich background of stars, and uneven blobs of even color. My guess is that they're meant to depict nebulæ, but they could also be something like clouds or smog—which would suggest be a very different material cosmology than the one we inhabit ourselves.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingRogueGuy

I don’t have an answer, but I read once the best way to get the right answer on the internet is to post the wrong answer.

So, if perhaps you might volunteer what you believe the cosmology OotS should be (perhaps phrased as a Star Wars comparison), then I’m quite sure you’ll get answers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Just like Star Wars I think OOTS has nothing but various single biome planets

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It is very clear that there is the world and every day Sunna rides his firey chariot across the sky, which is also where Blessed Thor hides his thunderbolts.

One might extrapolate a deity driving a moon chariot across the sky at night and thousands of campfires around which the honorable dead gather to await their living kinfolk, but those theories are unconfirmed.

If you disagree with the first part, though, you are saying Sigdi is a liar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

How exactly does control of the Sun work? The Western pantheon most likely also has a god of the Sun, Utu or Shamesh. I have no clue about the Southern pantheon and I believe the Dark One is just an independent god of humanoids. This is getting more into OOTS theology but I thought I might ask.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    How exactly does control of the Sun work?
    I'd tell you, but then that opens up the chance of someone taking control away from me.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    It is very clear that there is the world and every day Sunna rides his firey chariot across the sky, which is also where Blessed Thor hides his thunderbolts.
    Her (and then Mani is a he)
    ungelic is us

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Her
    Yep. High Priest of Sunna is a guy though.
    I admit, I had to go and check.
    Didn't remember which way around it was.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardfolk

How exactly does control of the Sun work? The Western pantheon most likely also has a god of the Sun, Utu or Shamesh. I have no clue about the Southern pantheon and I believe the Dark One is just an independent god of humanoids. This is getting more into OOTS theology but I thought I might ask.
    If the Oots cosmology is set out like our solar system, then 'control of the sun' isn't as important to the Gods as 'taking credit for controlling the sun while suppressing heliocentrism'.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    If the Oots cosmology is set out like our solar system, then 'control of the sun' isn't as important to the Gods as 'taking credit for controlling the sun while suppressing heliocentrism'.
    Wake up, stickle!
    steeckle? Stcikple?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    But Gods are powered by belief. There are a bunch of people believing Sunna moves the Sun, so therefore Sunna moves the Sun. I'm guessing that maybe the pantheons make a deal or something regarding who controls the Sun and when to prevent making another snarl.
    My extended signature

Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Well, there's the earth, and we also see one sun and one moon. And plenty of stars.

At the end of How the Paladin Got His Scar, we do in fact get a glimpse of the material solar system.

Spoiler: Cosmic Spoils
    Show
    There's the aforementioned sun and moon and earth, and there seem to be two planet-like entities closer to the sun. There's also a rich background of stars, and uneven blobs of even color. My guess is that they're meant to depict nebulæ, but they could also be something like clouds or smog—which would suggest be a very different material cosmology than the one we inhabit ourselves.
    I'm not sure that's right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Is that actually a moon? It seems way too big (it's significantly bigger than Stickworld, though I suppose that could be perspective). Of course a planet that close would causes them to mess up their orbits and tear each other apart. Maybe Stickworld is a moon of the other world? We've seen a crescent moon in comic, but of course a crescent planet would look roughly the same.
    Last edited by facw; 2021-04-06 at 08:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course a planet that close would causes them to mess up their orbits and tear each other apart.
    Wouldn’t gods be able to build a universe with the physical laws designed so that didn’t happen?
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-04-06 at 02:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's clearly perspective.

Spoiler: response to facw
    Show
    They're clearly not on the same plane and 3 planetary diameters apart. It's possible the moon is bigger than the planet (tho I doubt it was meant that way) but one is clearly closer to the "camera" than the other. My first instinct was that the sun, moon, and planet were all on roughly a straight line but that's definitely not the only interpretation now that I look at it more.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Is that actually a moon? It seems way too big (it's significantly bigger than Stickworld, though I suppose that could be perspective). Of course a planet that close would causes them to mess up their orbits and tear each other apart. Maybe Stickworld is a moon of the other world? We've seen a crescent moon in comic, but of course a crescent planet would look roughly the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Wouldn’t gods be able to build a universe with the physical laws designed so that didn’t happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emberlily View Post
    I think it's clearly perspective.

Spoiler: response to facw
    Show
    They're clearly not on the same plane and 3 planetary diameters apart. It's possible the moon is bigger than the planet (tho I doubt it was meant that way) but one is clearly closer to the "camera" than the other. My first instinct was that the sun, moon, and planet were all on roughly a straight line but that's definitely not the only interpretation now that I look at it more.
    Spoiler: Top Secret
    Show
    I agree with Emberlily. The OOTS inhabit a sketchy world, and I'm not sure Rich would bother generating an alternative material cosmology that the characters would never discuss or see. Also, I'm not sure he bothers with astronomic accuracy—I remember readers arguing that the moon in this comic suggested specific things about the cosmology of OOTS, and Rich saying that he just put it like that cuz it looked good.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

If only they could agree on how to do that ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If only they could agree on how to do that ...
    Yeah, if only they had rules or something. But I bet they all just do whatever they want, and the world just tangles up in a big self contradictory ball and destroys itself.

Oh hey! Someone should write a comic about that.

“Snag Trek: The Trouble with Tangles!”
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-04-07 at 03:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I choose to believe they do it Discworld-style and settle the matter by having a football match.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I choose to believe they do it Discworld-style and settle the matter by having a football match.
    Thor is quarterback.

Monkey is goalkeeper.

Tiamat is seeker.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The biggest question with OOtS cosmology would probably be why the gods never just make a bunch of different solar systems worth of souls while covering the Snarl's prison with ever more protection
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler
    Show

You're putting more thought into the panel than Rich probably did. He just wanted a nice looking shot, he probably didn't make sure the details were astronomically accurate.

He's said before when someone complained about the crescent moon not being the correct real world shape that it's not a detail he cares about.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

But Gods are powered by belief. There are a bunch of people believing Sunna moves the Sun, so therefore Sunna moves the Sun.
    I'm pretty sure that enough people believing otherwise could prevent that. Even if they don't believe it currently! Recall how Odin is still recovering from how he was regarded in the previous world.

If it didn't work that way, then, barring some means in place to prevent sufficiently large numbers of people believing contradictory things, we'd quickly wind up with true contradictions. In which case, the answer is simple: Each pantheon has a deity who alone moves the sun across the sky. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    The biggest question with OOtS cosmology would probably be why the gods never just make a bunch of different solar systems worth of souls while covering the Snarl's prison with ever more protection
    They did, but by the time they'd got the other solar systems worth of souls up and running, the Snarl was already breaking out of its prison. The Gods ran the universe as a Galactic Horror Space-Opera world, but squabbles over how FTL travel should work meant they pulled the plug before they even had chance to throw PCs the campaign seeds.

Just a thought: do we see the cosmology from the perspective of a Southerner? It could be the North and West pantheons have Sun Gods who mooch credit from the superstitious, while the Southern pantheons followers have a more enlightened view of the universe.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-04-13 at 08:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

Every sun deity is responsible for the sun travelling over the geographic region they have jurisdiction over. They ride all together on the chariot and switch the reins when they go over a certain meridian, so that each of them is responsible for giving sunlight to one-third of the planet.

Works as good as anything else.

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRogueGuy

How exactly does control of the Sun work?
    There are four suns. Each pantheon flies one around. The eastern pantheon was supposed to fly theirs at night, but they don’t anymore.

That’s why it’s dark.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There are four suns. Each pantheon flies one around. The eastern pantheon was supposed to fly theirs at night, but they don’t anymore.

That’s why it’s dark.
    Genius.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

That’s why it’s dark.
    Then why don't we see more than one sun?

Another possibility is that the three pantheons all push the Sun at the same time. In the first world, day and night were shorter (since they got the help of Hermes). So Sunna moves the Sun, but so does Utu/Shamesh and whatever the Southern god of the Sun is (rooster?).
    Last edited by ziproot; 2021-04-14 at 09:17 AM.
    My extended signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The sun exists in a superposition of states until directly observed. It's so bright to keep mortals from looking directly at it and collapsing the waveform.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.