New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Cosmology

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    Then why don't we see more than one sun?
    The gods decided the other suns are always off panel.

It’s a comic. You can do that in a comic.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-04-14 at 01:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    The gods decided the other suns are always off panel.

It’s a comic. You can do that in a comic.
    Well I guess each Sun is visible from the location controlled by that pantheon. Sunna's Sun is only visible in the Northern continent, Rooster's Sun (I think) is only visible in the Southern continent, etc
    Last edited by ziproot; 2021-04-14 at 05:33 PM.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You guys are so mired in Newtonian thinking.

Multiple deities can occupy the same timespace simultaneously and each individually can be the sole motivator of the same celestial object.

Don't think of it like trying to put two rocks in the same exact spot at the same exact time. Think of it as shining a red, green, and blue spotlight on the same actor.

And if that don't work for you, Google the Mystery Science Theater theme song.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    The sun exists in a superposition of states until directly observed. It's so bright to keep mortals from looking directly at it and collapsing the waveform.
    Right, that's the answer, thread over.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    Then why don't we see more than one sun?
    Are you sure we don't?

Take panel 21 it is clearly day time so we can assume that the object over the ship is the sun, however in the distance we can see a clear indication that a seperate sun is either raising or setting - this second sun is likely the sun of the western continent.

We can see waht appears as that visible sun on panel 1 as they move back to the northern continent, however the sun of the western continent when it is on the horizon appears red as seen onpanel 27 (it is yellow when high in the sky as seen on panel 1 which may lead to confusion - but in that case it is brighter then the sun on 672).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Are you sure we don't?

Take panel 21 it is clearly day time so we can assume that the object over the ship is the sun, however in the distance we can see a clear indication that a seperate sun is either raising or setting - this second sun is likely the sun of the western continent.

We can see waht appears as that visible sun on panel 1 as they move back to the northern continent, however the sun of the western continent when it is on the horizon appears red as seen onpanel 27 (it is yellow when high in the sky as seen on panel 1 which may lead to confusion - but in that case it is brighter then the sun on 672).
    About that -

Have you noticed that there don't seem to be time zones on this planet? When someone is Sending during daytime on one continent, it's also daytime for the receiver on another continent? It's hard to be certain as there are no shadows in this comic, but it doesn't seem like there's an appreciable difference in time of day. And the day/night transition itself seems to be rather abrupt.

This leads to an inescapable conclusion: The earth of the Stickverse is flat.

Just like the real Earth.

(edit)
    Alternatively - to make this match up with our confirmed incontrovertible fact that the Stickverse has four suns - the earth of the Stickverse is not just one flat surface, but instead a polyhedron made up of four flat surfaces, each of which has one continent and one sun.

That's right, the earth is a D4.

Every day, the three suns - carried by Sunna in her chariot, Utu in his chariot, and, I dunno, Rabbit on a swegway - each ride across the heavens of their pantheon's designated surface, racing from a single point towards the Eastern quadrant of the planet. They travel at exactly the same pace. At the same precise moment, they all cross the boundary into the Eastern face, and night quickly descends upon the rest of the earth.

Sunna, Utu, and Rabbit then all meet up at a cosmic garage located at the center of the Eastern quadrant to pool their tips and grab a beer.

The night shift - consisting of Mani, Sin, and Rooster on roller skates - is then responsible for doing nightly maintenance and transporting the four suns back to the point on the other side of the planet for the following morning.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    About that -

Have you noticed that there don't seem to be time zones on this planet? When someone is Sending during daytime on one continent, it's also daytime for the receiver on another continent? It's hard to be certain as there are no shadows in this comic, but it doesn't seem like there's an appreciable difference in time of day. And the day/night transition itself seems to be rather abrupt.

(edit)
    Alternatively - to make this match up with our confirmed incontrovertible fact that the Stickverse has four suns - the earth of the Stickverse is not just one flat surface, but instead a polyhedron made up of four flat surfaces, each of which has one continent and one sun.

Every day, the three suns - carried by Sunna in her chariot, Utu in his chariot, and, I dunno, Rabbit on a swegway - each ride across the heavens of their pantheon's designated surface, racing from a single point towards the Eastern quadrant of the planet. They travel at exactly the same pace. At the same precise moment, they all cross the boundary into the Eastern face, and night quickly descends upon the rest of the earth.

Sunna, Utu, and Rabbit then all meet up at a cosmic garage located at the center of the Eastern quadrant to pool their tips and grab a beer.

The night shift - consisting of Mani, Sin, and Rooster on roller skates - is then responsible for doing nightly maintenance and transporting the four suns back to the point on the other side of the planet for the following morning.
    This neatly explains everything, so it's the correct answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    About that -

(edit)

Sounds about right.
    Last edited by ziproot; 2021-04-15 at 08:54 AM.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Rabbit on a Segway" would be a great name for a band.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's been stated in-comic that Gods are willing to mooch credit for things happening that they didn't do. I don't see why Sunna et al wouldn't be the same as Hel mooching free worship in the previous world; after all, The Gods Must Be Lazy.

11. - Top - End - #41

I'm imagining the "is Pluto a planet" debate, but between the pantheons.

I'm also imagining us (this form) trying to have that discussion, but it turns into the "Is Goofy a dog or a cow" debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Yep. High Priest of Sunna is a guy though.
    I admit, I had to go and check.
    Didn't remember which way around it was.
    There's no general rule, but I'm going make one up anyway,

In cold places, the sun is gentle and therefore female.
    In hot places, the sun is strong and therefore male.

The moon is always the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emberlily View Post
    I think it's clearly perspective.
    Sure, it looks that way to you.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If you lived on a planet which had a moon that was larger than the planet, why then you live on a moon.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    If you lived on a planet which had a moon that was larger than the planet, why then you live on a moon.
    Well, strictly speaking ... this isn't necessarily true. It sorta hinges on what you mean by "larger."

If by "larger", you mean by mass - then no, the moon definitely can't be more massive than the planet. The center of mass would lie between the two bodies and would qualify as a "binary planet" or "double planet", with two planets orbiting each other (or rather, orbiting a point between them).

(If you define "double planet" based on center of gravity, which is the most common - but by no means unanimous - definition.)

However, if by larger you mean by volume, i.e. "taking up more space" ... then theoretically yes, the moon could be larger than the planet. You could have a planet that was composed of very dense material being orbited by a moon that measured wider across in diameter and took up more space, but had significantly less mass.

This post has an excellent and thorough review of the details, including the formulas, which I am too *dense* (ha-ha!) to understand myself, but it might enlighten other minds.

No examples are yet known to exist - but it's a big universe.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    "Rabbit on a Segway" would be a great name for a band.
    Screw it, time to start a new religion just to have The Rabbit on a Segway who tows the sun
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad