New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Does this change make Charger worthwhile?

I have a couple of threads going right now about my tweaks to the Player's Handbook, and I understand that that can turn people off of replying. But I have a question that has recently come up for my table, and I'd like to shine a spotlight on it. The official version of Charger is very restrictive, and has a very small payoff, and I'd like to make it an appealing choice for players. Do you think these changes (listed in red) accomplish that, or would you skip over this feat?

Charger
    You’ve learned to let your momentum carry you forward in combat. You gain the following benefits:
    • When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature.
    • If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before making a melee weapon attack or shoving a creature, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack's damage roll (if you chose to make an attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and succeed).
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

2. - Top - End - #2

Daemon

Default Re: Does this change make Charger worthwhile?

That’s pretty good.

I feel like a Tabaxi PAM fighter with GWM and mobility breaks it... makes monks hella good too.

3. - Top - End - #3

To be fair, that first one requires a minimum of three feats, and if you're not keeping up with your ASIs you're not really overperforming, so it isn't a problem until ~14th level. By that point most campaigns are dropping off anyway, and the challenges fall away pretty quickly. I agree that it is good on a monk, but monk doesn't really have the room to be picking up feats. But even if it could, monks can use the help. Would you consider taking this as readily as shield master?
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My standards for feats is "is it as good as +2 to your primary attack attribute".

The "action to dash" is just a crappy action economy problem. It works ok at level 1-4, but for most weapon users becomes a trap at and after 5. Having it in the feat doesn't work well.

Myself, I'd go and steal the orc racial ability.

"When are taking the attack action on your turn, before you attack you can use a bonus action to move up to your speed towards a creature end end the movement adjacent to them. You must then take the attack action and attack or shove that creature. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line during this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the first attack’s damage roll or increase your pushing distance by 5'"

At level 1-4 this acts a lot like the existing charger feat, but it is no longer a trap option at level 5+.

Another approach might be

"Once on each of your turns, you can attempt to attack or shove creatures as if your reach was 20' greater on your turn. When you do so, you first move up to your speed directly towards the creature, and if you are now in range you can complete the attack. If you moved at least 10' directly towards the creature, the attack gains a +5 bonus to damage, or if it is a shove it shoves 5' further."

This removes the bonus action tax, and rewords how the attack works. The additional reach is limited to 20', not your speed.

A concern I have is making this not useful for a halfling keeping up with their allies, but I'm not sure how to avoid that.