Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to Hogwarts [Wands and Wizards DnD 5e]

Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    Anyr: I think Aria might have too many skills? I think she should have two proficiencies from her class and two from her background. Sorry if I've missed something obvious.
    She chose Auror Training as her school ability. I forgot to list that on my sheet.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    So thanks to everyone who submitted characters. I said 8 would be my max, and that's the number of applicants we got. I realise that's a lot, but given the attrition that afflicts pbp I'm happy to start high and see who sticks around. So the good news is, you're all accepted into the game! Please follow this link to the Out of Character (OOC) thread.

I've looked through them and here are my thoughts:
    onlie2005: I like Lisa as a character and think you have a really interesting idea for her. I have some reservations about the amount of baggage that might come with Jay because a) of the franchise (though I have never watched or have any knowledge of the series, and there is an irony in me shooting down a franchise character in a franchise-ripping game...), b) the whole memories of a serial killer in an 11 year old. I actually quite like the idea of having a darker member of the party (since otherwise the party is quite an ordinary group of kids), but do have some reservations. If you did decide to go down the Jay route, then removing some of the franchise elements (making it more of an homage) and or keeping references to it toned down could work.
    As it stands, Lisa is still missing a fair amount of crunch, so you'll need to work on a sheet fairly speedily once I set up the OOC page.

Alaize-Chan: Phoebe looks great to me: note perfect. Lumos and flipendo are fine. Astronomer's tools will cost 10 galleons.

Anyr: I think Aria might have too many skills? I think she should have two proficiencies from her class and two from her background. Sorry if I've missed something obvious. Bombarda and Episkey might be stretching what a first year would know, but given Aria's lack of adherence to the rules, I imagine they'd both come in handy.

Sir Moogle: Love the sheet - it looks really good! And Martin seems really fun. I like your pairing of spells!

igordragonian: I think Fabia might be 1 point over on the point buy. And don't forget you can pick two starting spells. Otherwise, Fabia looks great to me, and now I won't ever think a party is complete without a half-goblin desperate to prove their worth!

Thundercracker: I can only hope this game lives up to your expectations! Holly's sheet looks pretty much there (is the sheet linked here the most up to date?). Holly is also in need of some spells!

DpsmaxerRoaming: Welcome to the forum. Happy to have a newcomer on board, and just message me if you are confused about how these games work. There is a stickied threads here that might help you understand how they work and some of the terms. I don't think technique (wisdom) casters can pick athletics proficiency. I am happy with the Lucky feat, and think it works well - perhaps before Timothy knew he had magic he found things seemed to work out for him with alarming regularity. I am also happy for Timothy to know the shield charm.

MornShine: Ah another 11 year old with a manic desire to prove themselves... What could go wrong? Sheet looks good, I um-ed and ah-ed over inanimatus conjurus but decided that for the sake the game it wasn't that big a deal that conjuring isn't taught until later years, so happy for Pierre to keep that. Welcome on board!

thank you and is having an issue understanding what technique meant and you never got back to me on silent image so I took a spell from wands and wizards I tried to stay away from curses because you said that we wouldn't normally know combat spells in the beginning.

I wasn't sure how much money we started up web so I took the best thought I could and went three galleons

I took athletic because of my abnormally high decks but if need be I could change that for handle animal
    Last edited by DpsmaxerRoaming; 2021-04-19 at 02:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Then Lisa Chadwick it is! I will finish the sheet by tomorrow evening. A few things though.

It seems to me that engineering is a profession that requires a more diverse range of skills more than any other profession. Aside from intellect you need to be able to see things abstractly as well as logically. Being able to design things requires creativity and adaption and those tend to require skills far beyond number crunching and precision. That is why Lisa as a structural engineer may not tend more towards either intellect or technique spellcasting. Its more than being able to attain information and understanding it. Engineers also have to be able to take the information and apply it properly. And be able to adapt to changing and unforeseen circumstances. Intellectual spellcasters tend to be more precise and knowledge based and while they use that knowledge well, technique spellcasters are more intuitive and better at adapting to unpredictability. For example an intellectual spellcaster might solve a certain situation at that instant while a technique spellcaster may also come up a better solution in the long run. For example Lisa would design structures that would not only meet design requirements outlined by her clients, she would also take into account other factors such as weather and/or earthquakes, basically things she cannot control to help create a project that lasts not just serves its purpose it was meant to be built for when it was first created. Am I making sense here?
    Last edited by onlie2005; 2021-04-20 at 02:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    Then Lisa Chadwick it is! I will finish the sheet by tomorrow evening. A few things though.

It seems to me that engineering is a profession that requires a more diverse range of skills more than any other profession. Aside from intellect you need to be able to see things abstractly as well as logically. Being able to design things requires creativity and adaption and those tend to require skills far beyond number crunching and precision. That is why Lisa as a structural engineer may not tend more towards either intellect or technique spellcasting. Its more than being able to attain information and understanding it. Engineers also have to be able to take the information and apply it properly. And be able to adapt to changing and unforeseen circumstances. Intellectual spellcasters tend to be more precise and knowledge based and while they use that knowledge well, technique spellcasters are more intuitive and better at adapting to unpredictability. For example an intellectual spellcaster might solve a certain situation at that instant while a technique spellcaster may also come up a better solution in the long run. For example Lisa would design structures that would not only meet design requirements outlined by her clients, she would also take into account other factors such as weather and/or earthquakes, basically things she cannot control to help create a project that lasts not just serves its purpose it was meant to be built for when it was first created. Am I making sense here?

That does make sense and I like your explanation of the differences. Not to mention there is literally a feat called prodigy (that someone else has already taken) so it's hardly like the only way to be a 'prodigy' is to have 18 Intelligence.

5. - Top - End - #125

I have made some changes to my character post. Please tell me what you think?

6. - Top - End - #126

RedKnightGirl

Lisa is looking good! Just a few comments, but they should be quick fixes.

• I think you have actually underspent on stats - remember Keen Mind gives you +1 Intelligence.
    • I'm not sure how you have ended up with your skill proficiencies Technique caster gives you two and Bookworm gives you two (History of Magic and Investigation), so I think you should just have four.
    • Which transfiguration feature is Lisa taking at level 1?
    • You also get to pick up to two spells

7. - Top - End - #127

I think my character sheet is done. How do you handle equipment?

I will try to play Lisa as a regular, though exceptionally bright, Hogwarts student but I am also thinking about the plotline and how to roleplay it. Will you be showing examples, though very subtle, for her to notice? If she sees a big enough clue such as a part of the castle falling to the ground or a large enough growing crack along its halls, or the castle seemingly tilting to one side(most structural engineers build homes and schools to be straight, not crooked) she might be taking more action faster than planned. Remember she is a trained structural engineer and no engineer worth their salt regardless of experience would not take notice of these. Do you want me to roleplay her noticing these things myself or will you provide the clues? I don't want to impose on you or ruin your plans. It probably would take more than one year for her to figure it out. Just want to make sure I don't ruin the fun of the game or plot.

8. - Top - End - #128

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    I think my character sheet is done. How do you handle equipment?

I will try to play Lisa as a regular, though exceptionally bright, Hogwarts student but I am also thinking about the plotline and how to roleplay it. Will you be showing examples, though very subtle, for her to notice? If she sees a big enough clue such as a part of the castle falling to the ground or a large enough growing crack along its halls, or the castle seemingly tilting to one side(most structural engineers build homes and schools to be straight, not crooked) she might be taking more action faster than planned. Remember she is a trained structural engineer and no engineer worth their salt regardless of experience would not take notice of these. Do you want me to roleplay her noticing these things myself or will you provide the clues? I don't want to impose on you or ruin your plans. It probably would take more than one year for her to figure it out. Just want to make sure I don't ruin the fun of the game or plot.
    Looks good to me, I think Lisa is good to go. Head on over to the OOC and post in the in character thread when you're ready!
    For equipment you have:
    3 sets of school robes, 1 winter cloak (11 AC + dex), 1 set of 1st year school books, 1 wand, 1 potion making kit, 1 telescope, up to one basic pet (owl, cat or toad). Your character will also start with 2d4 galleons.