New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Drawings in Serini's room

I am wondering if those drawings in Serini's room are some big clue as to what will happen. They look like a child's drawings.
    Could they be by the Orange voice? What's going on there?
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-04-06 at 01:29 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Drawings in Serini's room

I have acces to high res, but because it's patron/paid exclusive it feels wrong share it completely. Instead I did attempt earlier to explain them, together with Ron Miel:

Spoiler: for size
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I only have the low rez version, but it reminded me of this:

High res version here. It could be something like that, the larger reddish shape is a circle with 3-4 triangles. Which could be a beast with spikes. The smaller green and red seems to be a O atop a squarish U. Which could be a basic humanoid body + head shape.

Also the right painting is clearly a dragonlike creature. Batwing, lizardtail, round body and round head with a squiggly line for a jaw (sharp teeth).

The middle painting is two symbols. They look like a 2 with a horn and S-shaped tail, and 4 with a 3-shaped tail.

P.S. Explaining pictures in tekst is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Maybe it's the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 ?
    Possible, especially if you see it a kids drawing. The spacing is a bit weird, like the 1 being on atop of the 2. Or the 3 being super close against the 4. Or the 5 just hanging in the middle half a line down. Also the the 3 and 5 miss a part of their upper line, the 2 is too angular and the 5 is too round to be called "proper" Arabic numerals. A child doodling/learning numbers can easily explains all these things.

As for the order, it's 1 2 5 4 3, with the 1 being a line higher because it's on the 2. And the 5 being half a line lower. Maybe relevant, maybe we are literally speculating over a child's scribble.

Short answer: Child drawings seems likely. The drawings have a dragon/monster theme. With some symbols or numbers in the middle.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-04-06 at 02:04 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #3

But if they are a child's drawings, that suggests Serini is not as alone as she appears.

Or maybe they are drawings by troll children. Aunty Serini gives them paper and crayons and they give her works of art to take home.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-04-06 at 02:12 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Orange Voice calls Serini ''Boss'' which isn't very childlike.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    The Orange Voice calls Serini ''Boss'' which isn't very childlike.
    No and it isn't very Dad/Partner like either. So Orange is unlikely to be the father of the "children".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    But if they are a child's drawings, that suggests Serini is not as alone as she appears.

Or maybe they are drawings by troll children. Aunty Serini gives them paper and crayons and they give her works of art to take home.
    That's a very wholesome explanation that hadn't occurred to me. I like that, I'm going to headcanon that until we get any explanation here.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

No and it isn't very Dad/Partner like either. So Orange is unlikely to be the father of the "children".
    Plenty of dads (and moms) have bosses. I don’t think we can rule out the idea that Orange is the parent of whoever drew those drawings.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Looking closer in this room it appears that every single dart thrown at that dart board has completely missed even the board itself which is odd for an epic level character with racial bonuses to thrown projectiles. It does seem likely that someone else (who is very bad at darts) is using these same quarters
    Last edited by DevotedPaladin; 2021-04-09 at 02:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Instant headcanon. (^_^)b

Fwiw, I have heard spouses playfully refer to their partner as "boss". Crack headcanon: Those are Orange/Serini's kids' drawings, despite Serini referring to herself as "Aunt".

Quote Originally Posted by DevotedPaladin View Post
    Looking closer in this room it appears that every single dart thrown at that dart board has completely missed even the board itself which is odd for an epic level character with racial bonuses to thrown projectiles. It does seem likely that someone else (who is very bad at darts) is using these same quarters
    Hadn't noticed before zooming in, but the darts are also embedded in what appears to be stonework. If Orange is a copper dragon (my favorite hypothesis) who can shapechange (as required by my new crack headcanon), it suggests they're Adult or older.
    (Giving them 23+ strength. Having a 10 dexterity wouldn't cause terrible aim, but even athletes can be klutzy in something they don't normally do.)

Edit: Explaining reference to age category.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-04-09 at 03:46 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."