Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Picard: Season Two Teaser

So this just happened:

And I have mixed feelings.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, I firmly believe Picard Season One is the best thing that's happened to Trek since DS9 was on the air. I lived it, I loved it and I've been craving Season Two.

But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q, and I'm much less enthused about a season revolving around yet another one of Q's tiresome little exercises.

But we shall see. Season One was outstanding enough that I'm willing to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-04-06 at 10:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Picard: Season Two Teaser

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, I firmly believe Picard Season One is the best thing that's happened to Trek since DS9 was on the air. I lived it, I loved it and I've been craving Season Two.

But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q, and I'm much less enthused about a season revolving around yet another one of Q's tiresome little exercises.

But we shall see. Season One was outstanding enough that I'm willing to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.
    Spoiler: Picard Season 1 Spoilers
    Show
    I'm cautiously optimistic. On the one hand, I thought the way they bookended TNG with strong Q epsiodes was perfect, and left it on a good note. I think that whole trial plotline was complete and doesn't need any more added to it. I didn't mind Q. I liked that he was cosmic threat putting humanity on trial to keep them on their feet and continue growing as a species, instead of stagnating at their current level. I wasn't terribly fond of him when he was just goofing around and trolling the Enterprise.

But considering what happened at the end of Picard Season 1, with Picard getting a robot body essentially, it opens up a new angle that Q can poke at. Like, making him question if he's still even human, or some other existential question about life. Q could even come at him with the whole "leaving Starfleet behind" thing and test his dedication to his principles. It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Spoiler: Picard Season 1 Spoilers
    Show
    But considering what happened at the end of Picard Season 1, with Picard getting a robot body essentially, it opens up a new angle that Q can poke at. Like, making him question if he's still even human, or some other existential question about life. Q could even come at him with the whole "leaving Starfleet behind" thing and test his dedication to his principles. It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.
    Spoiler: Picard Season 1 spoilers
    Show
    I can't believe I forgot about that little plot point, but it's a good reminder to temper expectations going in. I was pretty mixed on season 1, some fantastic sections marred by some awful ones, but there was enough done right that I'm also in the cautiously optimistic set. At the very least it was a much better send-off for Data than Nemesis was.

Although, Brent Spiner's aging was one thing. The off-putting CGI de-aging worked on Data, and I felt that that uncanny valley effect was always what Data was supposed to look like in a way that 80's TV couldn't manage.

But now with Guinan and Q's return, we have two more ageless characters being played by actors who have obviously changed a lot in the intervening time. I'm just hoping they're there for more than just some nostalgic fan-service.

As a thought, I'm not sure I want that godlike AI-entity brought up again, but if it did continue into season 2, that would be a good way to bring the Continuum into the story.

Good news to see teasers for fans of all three continuing Trek series, but for myself I was most excited for the return of Lower Decks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

And the trailer isn't available here.
    Great bit of advertising there
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    But on the other hand, I frickin' hate Q
    Say WHAAAAAAAA?!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yep, looking forward to this.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that whole trial plotline was complete and doesn't need any more added to it.

…It has potential, I'll give it that. It could be very cool, or it could go very poorly. That's up to the writers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed on all points, especially the part about Picard’s synthetic form. If Q gave Picard such a hard time about having an artificial heart, just imagine what kind of hay he’d make of an artificial body.

It really does open up some of the questions about human existence that Star Trek excels at posing. From that angle, Q could be more of a catalyst than a constant presence, which could work out very well.

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    Spoiler
    Show
    But now with Guinan and Q's return….
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, what?!?

Wha— Guinan? But—I mean—Guinan?!?!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Mixed feelings, but maybe we give it a chance? :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Guinan*
    Can you follow up on this? I assume this is from another source besides the teaser?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

This article is back from January of 2020.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Can you follow up on this? I assume this is from another source besides the teaser?
    "I'm here with a formal invitation," Stewart personally told Goldberg on The View last year, "and it's for you, Whoopi. Alex Kurtzman, who is the senior executive producer of Star Trek: Picard, and all his colleagues, of which I am one, want to invite you into the second season."

Made news on live tv when this happened.

Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-04-09 at 07:59 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

Spoiler: Akiva Goldsmith interview on Season 2
    Show

Full interview link

Will Picard’s new body impact his character in season two, or does it just not?

It doesn't. We did fundamentally try to address that at the end of 10. He's not Super Picard. We reset this congenital problem he lived with since Next Gen and gave him the opportunity for rebirth, but it's nothing more than a record as he might have been where he not here.

Huh...

Spoiler: Well on the one hand....
    Show
    I thought the android Picard body was one of the biggest mistakes in the first season and it's interesting to hear them admit they didn't really have a plan or think it through.

On the other hand....

They did it, and it would have been nice to have them go somewhere with it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

To be honest, I don't think I'm going to get into this one. It doesn't seem like Discovery or Picard are really for me.

Spoiler: Picard S1
    Show
    I kinda checked out of Picard at the eyeball-plucking and 7 of 9 killing spree, but also because I didn't enjoy the serial format. The story felt like it was written and then they got Patrick Stewart to join in at the last minute and rewrote it so he could be around, and that there were so many developments that felt like they were there to artificially drag the story out, like killing Dr. Maddox immediately after finding him.

I also really felt nauseated by how Picard would have a moment to talk, and then everyone around him would be like, "yeah that isn't how things work" and then ignore him I much prefer the quiet optimism that you got from TNG/VOY.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. View Post
    To be honest, I don't think I'm going to get into this one. It doesn't seem like Discovery or Picard are really for me.

Spoiler: Picard S1
    Show
    I kinda checked out of Picard at the eyeball-plucking and 7 of 9 killing spree, but also because I didn't enjoy the serial format. The story felt like it was written and then they got Patrick Stewart to join in at the last minute and rewrote it so he could be around, and that there were so many developments that felt like they were there to artificially drag the story out, like killing Dr. Maddox immediately after finding him.

I also really felt nauseated by how Picard would have a moment to talk, and then everyone around him would be like, "yeah that isn't how things work" and then ignore him I much prefer the quiet optimism that you got from TNG/VOY.
    Voyager was optimistic?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Voyager was optimistic?
    I certainly think so. Plus the episodic format lets you stop and decompress a lot more easily.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Voyager was optimistic?
    I figure the Voyager crew got sent to the Delta Quadrant the same way the Golgafrinchams got sent to Earth, so...yes?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2. Season 1 was a self contained story. Leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2.
    Spoiler: Theory
    Show
    Because they want to? Like, it's not inconceivable that there is more story they want to tell. it's not as if you have to watch it, you can just be happy with a self-contained story already.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Theory
    Show
    Because they want to? Like, it's not inconceivable that there is more story they want to tell. it's not as if you have to watch it, you can just be happy with a self-contained story already.
    Honestly, if I were to express a single hope for this season it's that it's equally as self-contained. One of the bigger issues permeating serialized fiction is the tendency for productions to feel the need to escalate over time even if it makes things repetitive or increasingly ludicrous.

From ST: Picard's perspective, where the first season already dealt with this huge ancient apocalyptic threat to their galaxy, saying "that's done, and now we're moving on to do something different" sound great to me personally.

Also, well, while Picard as a character does go through some growth and development, functionally his real strength as a character is how he represents this paragon of morality and humanism. That putting him in a morally complex situation is interesting because he has the rhetorical and philosophic tools to adequately engage with it whatever the conclusion may be, and seeing him go about it over the course of the narrative is usually pretty satisfying. Which is why TNG Picard is still generally enjoyable to watch despite the predominantly episodic nature of the series. Season one brought Picard back from an emotional and moral hiatus (that the series itself created) to be more TNG Picard - that was his arc, essentially - and now he can just be unambiguously Picard in a way that I hope doesn't relitigate his character.

Basically, I'm hoping for a season with a different style of conflict, different themes to discuss and consider, and a - metaphorically and I guess somewhat literally - resurrected Picard.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Spoiler: Akiva Goldsmith interview on Season 2
    Show

Huh...

Spoiler: Well on the one hand....
    Show
    I thought the android Picard body was one of the biggest mistakes in the first season and it's interesting to hear them admit they didn't really have a plan or think it through.

On the other hand....

They did it, and it would have been nice to have them go somewhere with it.
    I mean, I knew the instant they did it that they didn't really think it through.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They bent over backwards to explain "Oh don't worry, it's just like the old one in every way including aging and mental faculties and illness" in which case... why then? Seriously, why?

My full expectation is that Q is here primarily to undo that whole mess and make him human again so that PS can retire the character with dignity after this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I legit don't know why they're making a Season 2. Season 1 was a self contained story. Leave it alone.
    Because C.R.E.A.M.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for posting the trailer. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed. I'll be curious to see where they take this show next.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am really intrigued by the idea of delving into Q and Guinan's relationship and past history together. I wonder if part of it has to do with the Nexus.
    "Never tell me the odds!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Voyager was optimistic?
    Of course, no matter how bad things got everything was always back to normal by the next episode. The ship was cut off from any possible resupply but still managed to go through somewhere between ten and seventeen shuttles. You'd hardly know they were stranded on the other side of the galaxy from watching most episodes. So yes Voyager was very optimistic so long as you weren't Harry Kim.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

25. - Top - End - #25

All jokes about Voyager and the Infinite Shuttles aside, looking back I actually liked it a good bit. If it weren't for Neelix, Harry, and most of all Tom Paris, I probably would have loved it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

All jokes about Voyager and the Infinite Shuttles aside, looking back I actually liked it a good bit. If it weren't for Neelix, Harry, and most of all Tom Paris, I probably would have loved it.
    I feel bad for Garrett Wang. He was told he was going to be the star of the show but then the writers did absolutely nothing with the character for 7 seasons. Ensign Kim was never really given anything interesting to do, and never allowed to grow and progress beyond being a simple "wide eyed" Ensign. Personally, I think the writers should have allowed Kim to "grow up" and then position the younger cast members (like the Borg kids and Naomi) to fill that wide-eyed void.
    "Never tell me the odds!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah, though I'll argue that if they had just Tom, or just Harry I think it would have worked out. Putting them next to each other really seemed to amplify everything that was wrong with their writing.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

How can one hate Q?
    Wait how can one like Picard Season 1... we are talking about the same show right? *CONFUSED Sounds*
    The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone? That show?
    The show that when they go lets bring back Stewart to both kill him off and at the same time revive him and then say oh yeah your new body will die in a few months as well?

I'm not looking forward to this except for Q returning.
    Then again people tell me that me not liking Discovery is weird. I also did not like Lower Decks... it is interesting but it feels weak to me like its mocking star trek rather then playing and having fun with it.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone?
    Geordi was kidnapped off a shuttle by a Romulan warship.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-05-19 at 07:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geordi was kidnapped off a shuttle by a Romulan warship.
    Geordi also managed to be kidnapped and have his visor hacked twice. The first time is forgivable, but you'd think they'd put some security measures in place after the first time.

There's plenty not to like about Picard, but trying to compare plot holes between it and TNG seems like a losing proposition. TNG had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. We just didn't care as much about tight plotting back then.

I enjoyed Picard for what it was, and most of my disappointment with the show came from lost potential. Hopefully the writers will take the criticisms on board going forward. Not likely, but the show earned a second season watch from me anyway. Despite it's flaws it was still better than any other Star Trek I've seen since DS9.