New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

yuk Re: Picard: Season Two Teaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    How can one hate Q?
    Wait how can one like Picard Season 1... we are talking about the same show right? *CONFUSED Sounds*
    The show where romulans who can abduct Jordi off the enterprise beam down to kidnap someone? That show?
    The show that when they go lets bring back Stewart to both kill him off and at the same time revive him and then say oh yeah your new body will die in a few months as well?

I'm not looking forward to this except for Q returning.
    Then again people tell me that me not liking Discovery is weird. I also did not like Lower Decks... it is interesting but it feels weak to me like its mocking star trek rather then playing and having fun with it.
    You are appealing to a person with alien morals, who delights in being immoral, and is all powerful.

Imagine him as a toxic ex who will not understand the word no. Wait they did that as a Q episode in DS9!

People with boundary issues, anxiety, and dozens of other reasons do not like Q. Feel free to enjoy Q even if I do not. Someone should enjoy him.

—————

Consistency with tech for things like transporters has never existed literally due to plot, the plot being the same factor that determines the amount of time to cross the galaxy between two planets.

Remember Sitcoms are Situational Comedies who descend from Stage plays, likewise Star Trek is a Situational Drama (plus other things) with manufactured plot to tell a story, create tension, etc.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-19 at 07:33 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Picard: Season Two Teaser

The (far too short) bit they did with Q in Lower Decks were the best of Q to date. And I love me some Q.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

The show that when they go lets bring back Stewart to both kill him off and at the same time revive him and then say oh yeah your new body will die in a few months as well?
    He's not going to die "in a few months". They gave him a body with his natural life-span and physical/mental capabilities (as much as natural means anything in Star Trek) but without the degenerative disease that was going to cripple and ultimately kill him. it would be relatively the same to say they merely cured him but... well, thematically him deciding to embrace this uncomfortable unknown in a show about overcoming fear does make a certain amount of sense.

*Also this is especially resonant in Trek where genetic engineering and/or cybernetics are treated with a degree of fear or contempt in a puritanical kind of way in both text and subtext. Views only really DS9 challenged to any degree, specifically the overarching views of both the Federation and by extension past Trek writers on the matter.

Though, being aghast that people like a show where you have things like this to criticize feels rather forced considering I could list off countless similar criticisms aimed every Trek show and most of speculative fiction and fantasy while I'm at it. Or do you think Picard was the first to be inconsistent in its use of its own invented technologies or to seemingly change a character fundamentally only to have it not really matter in the next episode?
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2021-05-19 at 09:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Rodin
    TNG had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. We just didn't care as much about tight plotting back then.
    The Nitpicker’s Guide for Next Generation Trekkers would like a word.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The (far too short) bit they did with Q in Lower Decks were the best of Q to date. And I love me some Q.
    You mean the bit where the annoying characters shout at him that they don't have enough time when he could kill them all and when he doesn't get respect he does.... the scene where it should just end with the ship gone? Cause Q is petty enough to do that?
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean the bit where the annoying characters shout at him that they don't have enough time when he could kill them all and when he doesn't get respect he does.... the scene where it should just end with the ship gone? Cause Q is petty enough to do that?
    Why is this character fun again and not an all powerful bully?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yes, the cartoonish scene in the cartoon where people behave cartoonishly.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

They did a serious version of that in the novel Q Squared. Trelane (a.k.a. Squire of Gothos from TOS) finds a way to become more powerful than other Q and decides to torment the Enterprise. Picard manages to buy them some time by surrendering completely and daring Trelane to kill them since they won't be his playthings anymore. Trelane storms off in a snit. Picard then admits that it was a coin flip over whether Trelane would snuff them out of existence on his way out, but it was the only option that gave them some chance of getting Trelane to leave them alone for a bit.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

A Star Trek show that involves Picard as a really old man, Q, and a temporal disturbance.

I think I have seen this before.