New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Looking for input on a class

I have a 3rd party book made by Sword & Sorcery called Players guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers. The stuff in it is a little on the "meh" side for the most part but theres one class in it ive always liked, the Shelzari Eroticist. Ive always kinda of liked those Arabian themed settings and believe lore-wise that this class really hits home for me. The seductive and alluring dancer that entices men/women of wealth, class, rank and power. The only issue is that quite frankly.. it kinda sucks. Mechanically its just not impressive in any way, to me at least.

Right now im running an Arabian themed game and id like to use this class for a npc thats going to be a big part of the story but i dont want that npc to simply fall flat and be something short of forgettable. I was wanting to rework the class a little but im stuck on what i can do that doesnt over/under power the class and also lets it keep its aesthetics.

If anyone knows the class and might happen to have some input on where to start id love to hear any suggestions. as it stands all i can think of is to either cut the dead levels out and condense it to a 5 level prc and/or let it retain progression for bardic music and stuff like that.
    Last edited by Blazeteck; 2021-04-06 at 06:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for input on a class

Looks like a pretty standard, early 3e bard prestige class. Any reason you can't just dip sublime chord and call it a day?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Looks like a pretty standard, early 3e bard prestige class. Any reason you can't just dip sublime chord and call it a day?
    Well, first off ive never taken a look at sublime chord but if i had to give a reason then id say because the game is not that high level so there wouldnt be enough lvls to go into many prcs. Also this a bit of an exercise to make this class good enough to justify actually using it. As i said in the post i really like the concept of the Eroticist from a lore and aesthetic standpoint so trying to slap in other prcs may be making the npc or player better from a power or mechanical standpoint but its not really doing anything to actually take advantage of trying to use a lore friendly class in a setting that it fits well into. Im not trying to min max or craft some powerful npc for a game just make the class that i think fits well into something usable and enjoyable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, what do you want the character to do?

By virtue of being in this class you are going to be presumably playing at the levels 7-12 even if you compact this down to a 5 level class, so are you looking to make her the party hips face, or as a support caster, or as some sort of DEX-based fighter?

One feat that would slot right in to increase the combat capacity would be Snowflake Wardance, notwithstanding that being from Frostburn it's right out of left field to the Arabian setting. Add CHA to attack rolls with slashing weapons wielded in one hand. Equipment that also synergises are Slippers of Battledancing which add CHA to attack and damage. That said you would still need a pretty damn good DEX score to deal with the lack of AC if you're going to fight like that. 7/10 BAB isn't too bad, that's basically a bard progression. Saves are similar, though that Will save could really use a boost. Also, did I miss it, or does this prestige class have no hit dice mentioned? I presume it would be d6 like the bard, but maybe just slap it up to d10 for the hell of it on the argument that the dance is extremely taxing and Eroticists learn fantastic stamina and muscle control along with their art. I'd also insert a custom feature that allows her to cast a spell as a swift action if she expends 2-3 bardic music attempts too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Why not just use beguiller and flavour then as a dancer? Maybe take a level of human paragon first for the perform dance skill if you don’t want to just cross class it.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Why not just use beguiller and flavour then as a dancer? Maybe take a level of human paragon first for the perform dance skill if you don’t want to just cross class it.
    Beguilers are an int-based caster though, so if you want to make a cha-based character, that makes it rather difficult.
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-04-06 at 11:00 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, what do you want the character to do?

By virtue of being in this class you are going to be presumably playing at the levels 7-12 even if you compact this down to a 5 level class, so are you looking to make her the party hips face, or as a support caster, or as some sort of DEX-based fighter?

One feat that would slot right in to increase the combat capacity would be Snowflake Wardance, notwithstanding that being from Frostburn it's right out of left field to the Arabian setting. Add CHA to attack rolls with slashing weapons wielded in one hand. Equipment that also synergises are Slippers of Battledancing which add CHA to attack and damage. That said you would still need a pretty damn good DEX score to deal with the lack of AC if you're going to fight like that. 7/10 BAB isn't too bad, that's basically a bard progression. Saves are similar, though that Will save could really use a boost. Also, did I miss it, or does this prestige class have no hit dice mentioned? I presume it would be d6 like the bard, but maybe just slap it up to d10 for the hell of it on the argument that the dance is extremely taxing and Eroticists learn fantastic stamina and muscle control along with their art. I'd also insert a custom feature that allows her to cast a spell as a swift action if she expends 2-3 bardic music attempts too.
    If i had to say what they would be more inclined to do then id lean more towards a face and/or support caster. Being able to fight to some small degree isnt a bad thing but i think the aesthetic is definitely more suited to being a social character.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazeteck View Post
    If i had to say what they would be more inclined to do then id lean more towards a face and/or support caster. Being able to fight to some small degree isnt a bad thing but i think the aesthetic is definitely more suited to being a social character.
    Well, then, you've basically got the tools you need already. Glibness is on the bard list. After that it's looking for stuff which pumps Diplomacy.

Maybe consider Spelldancer from Magic of Faerun. 5 levels, full casting, make your spells more powerful by doing the Moonwalk. Stupid prereqs, but anyway.