New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Post-Tashas Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    That is where custom backgrounds can come in. "I want to be a Folk Hero, but instead of Animal Handling, I was studying much more broad aspects. Can I take Nature instead?"
    Except in that example, Animal Handling was wanted. It was the PC studying Nature rather than one of the other “knowledge skills associated with being a Wizard.

You changing my example to “well let’s make it so that PC does not want Animal Handling” isn’t correctly addressing the example.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rsp29a View Post
    Except in that example, Animal Handling was wanted. It was the PC studying Nature rather than one of the other “knowledge skills associated with being a Wizard.

You changing my example to “well let’s make it so that PC does not want Animal Handling” isn’t correctly addressing the example.
    Then we are back at the point of "abilities also reflect your characters training". Your wizard will most likely have a fairly high int which means that they will know a bit about nature. If you want proficiency in that particular skill later on there are feats that can deal with that. Or are you asking for a way to get more skill proficiences than the rules allow at the start of teh game? Because that is also kind of part of the game, that there are limitations.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So this is a character where 3 skills of they 4 skills they wanted fell in the 2/3rds of skills not on the class skill list?

Yes that extreme case is not supported outside of Rule 0 (assuming feats and species don't address it).

However you passed many characters that did break the archetype before you reach the character that wants 3. So it makes sense if the authors did not consider it as pressing or significant of a topic. (plus the other factors)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry, I was skimming

""I want to be a Folk Hero, but instead of Survival, I was studying much more broad aspects. Can I take Nature instead?"

Fixed it, now you can have Animal Handling and Nature. The only possible issue comes if you want Animal Handling, Nature and Survival. That is harder to do without picking the right race.

But, it can be done with Human, Elf, Half-Elf, HAlf-Orc, Tiefling... basically any race that gives any skill, thanks to Tasha's
    Last edited by Chaosmancer; 2021-04-12 at 04:53 PM.