New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Question about Print and Play Miniatures

Hello;

I was curious if there are more sets in the works for the future? I own the five I know about but was unsure what plans, if any, there were for more.

Thank You

dafrca
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Question about Print and Play Miniatures

Can't find the post right now, but I'm pretty sure he said he was working on a new A Monster For Every Season sometime last fall, but without any promised date.

He does also mention working on them to do something when suffering from writer's block in the Fall Patreon Q&A
    Last edited by facw; 2021-04-08 at 12:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Can't find the post right now, but I'm pretty sure he said he was working on a new A Monster For Every Season sometime last fall, but without any promised date.

He does also mention working on them to do something when suffering from writer's block in the Fall Patreon Q&A
    Thank You!

I will keep an eye out knowing it has an "unknown" date.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the new Patreon Q&A:
    5.) Jenni Black: During the Kickstarter event you did two Monsters for Every Season (Autumn 2016 and Winter 2018). I really love them. Have you considered doing more of these and offering them for sale?

Wow, do I have good news for you. I actually did four volumes of A Monster for Every Season for Kickstarter. I also did Spring 2012 and Summer 2013. You can download them from updates #37 and #65 if you were a Kickstarter backer, or you can buy them from Gumroad here and here if you weren’t. I’ve also done a second volume of Spring, helpfully called Spring 2, though that one is solely available on Gumroad. And Summer 2 is on the verge of being released soon, though I had put it on hold due to a technical issue I was having with Gumroad (that had nothing to do with purchasing, there was a problem on the back end). So, yeah. Three more you can get today, and a fourth coming soon. Enjoy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Many moons ago I purchased all 4 seasons of monsters as digital PDFs off Gumroad. If the Giant is working on new editions, is there any chance he might release an archive of high dps .png files? I love using his drawings for the games I run online, but it would be so nice to not have to manually cut and resize those images for upload.

Or does anyone know if this is something that is already on offer somewhere that I could buy?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    Many moons ago I purchased all 4 seasons of monsters as digital PDFs off Gumroad. If the Giant is working on new editions, is there any chance he might release an archive of high dps .png files? I love using his drawings for the games I run online, but it would be so nice to not have to manually cut and resize those images for upload.

Or does anyone know if this is something that is already on offer somewhere that I could buy?
    Like, png of the individual minis? I can't imagine that'd be very easy to do, even if you did it by page.

I'm on Windows so I just screenshot with SHIFT + WINDOWS KEY + S and click-drag for what I want -- if you're zoomed-in enough, I find that's more than good enough for online games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Like, png of the individual minis? I can't imagine that'd be very easy to do, even if you did it by page.

I'm on Windows so I just screenshot with SHIFT + WINDOWS KEY + S and click-drag for what I want -- if you're zoomed-in enough, I find that's more than good enough for online games.
    Yeah, individual .pngs, jpegs, .webp whatever. My current workflow is copying a screen snip into photoshop and removing the background, then resizing and uploading. If I could just eliminate having to crop every toon by hand that would be a huge time save as everything else can be automated for batch processing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yeah, individual .pngs, jpegs, .webp whatever. My current workflow is copying a screen snip into photoshop and removing the background, then resizing and uploading. If I could just eliminate having to crop every toon by hand that would be a huge time save as everything else can be automated for batch processing.
    I doubt this is feasible -- I'm assuming Rich has structured the .pdf in a way that makes it hard to take each illustration apart into its component pieces, for piracy reasons. That probably includes making the background transparent instead of white.

Plus, you know, it's a massive granular project for something that probably nobody else is asking for. Kinda like sorting & selling rice by the grain instead of the pound: you could do it, but where's the benefit?

Ultimately I still recommend "SHIFT + WINDOWS KEY + S" for quick, easy screengrabbing/cropping for online games. You can zoom in so far the single mini fills the screen, if you need a super-hi-res version.

9. - Top - End - #9

You could probably screencap each entire page and write a program to crop the images on the thicker black lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

"Probably nobody" is a pretty silly assumption to make, given there are at least as many people looking for digital token/avatar art for virtual d20 games as there are people looking for printable cutouts for physical tabletops. Unless you can get me some direct quotes from the artist himself, kindly avoid making wild supposition on his behalf.

I don't know how Rich created his art for pdf publishing, but either he painted each individual page as a whole unit, or (probably more likely) they were all individual files that were later arranged into grids for printing. If it's the later and the original files still exist, then the tedious part has already been done. If the Artist wanted to release those files as a zipped archive, I would be eternally grateful and gladly pay money for that content (and I imagine my players would enjoy seeing those doodles on their screens).

All I'm here to say is I want to pay him money for more VTT friendly versions of his work, and I think there are probably others like me out there too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Probably nobody" is a pretty silly assumption to make, given there are at least as many people looking for digital token/avatar art for virtual d20 games as there are people looking for printable cutouts for physical tabletops. Unless you can get me some direct quotes from the artist himself, kindly avoid making wild supposition on his behalf.

I don't know how Rich created his art for pdf publishing, but either he painted each individual page as a whole unit, or (probably more likely) they were all individual files that were later arranged into grids for printing. If it's the later and the original files still exist, then the tedious part has already been done. If the Artist wanted to release those files as a zipped archive, I would be eternally grateful and gladly pay money for that content (and I imagine my players would enjoy seeing those doodles on their screens).

All I'm here to say is I want to pay him money for more VTT friendly versions of his work, and I think there are probably others like me out there too.
    His work is already VTT-friendly. Those others like you out there (myself included) are just screenshotting the PDFs with no issues.

AMFES is already available for sale as a product, and preparing new versions of an existing product for online delivery still takes a non-zero amount of time. There is no business reason to offer a zipped folder, especially since it would be less aesthetically-pleasing and you wouldn't be able to watermark it with the purchaser's email address (thus dis-incentivizing piracy).

I'm not "making wild supposition" on Rich's behalf - just trying to offer some of the reasons that your request is not as easy or reasonable as you think it is.