New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Teleport: Self + 50 pounds of Objects only, + Animal Companion?

Say I have the ability to Teleport myself + 50 pounds of objects only (as many outsiders) but I also have an animal companion. What options do I have to also be able to transport my companion with me as well other than stuffing the poor critter into a bag of holding prior to teleporting.

Doing it as a SLA so Share Spells specifically does not work.

Lets say I am using a medium sized Riding Dog as my animal companion.
    Last edited by Yogibear41; 2021-04-08 at 12:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Teleport: Self + 50 pounds of Objects only, + Animal Companion?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Say I have the ability to Teleport myself + 50 pounds of objects only (as many outsiders) but I also have an animal companion. What options do I have to also be able to transport my companion with me as well other than stuffing the poor critter into a bag of holding prior to teleporting.

Doing it as a SLA so Share Spells specifically does not work.

Lets say I am using a medium sized Riding Dog as my animal companion.
    Find a plane with low or no gravity, plant an oak tree, cast acorn of far travel, and give the acorn to your animal companion so it (and its equipment) are all under 50 lbs? Find a way to make it count as an object, such as turning it into an intelligent item.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-04-08 at 12:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Not many options other than stuffing it in an extradimensional space, and most of them are arcane. Petrify, shrink, and then restore via Break Enchantment to avoid the death save of Stone to Flesh, but Druids don't have any of those and it's a lot of spells. If you've got a caster that can handle 6th level Sor/Wiz (party, NPC, hire, etc), Smoky Confinement from Complete Mage is essentially a pokeball spell- but if you're paying for scrolls or an item of a 6th level spell, you could just buy a travel spell with passengers. Even at half formula price a 1/day item would still be around 12,000gp, if the DM agreed that only working on the user's willing animal companion was worth a 50% discount.

Best option is probably to get a custom Animal Crate of Holding, which is just a bag but with a bigger entrance.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-04-08 at 02:23 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Shrink animal will likely allow it to fit into practically any extradimensional storage for the 6 seconds it takes you to teleport.

Best option is probably to get a custom Animal Crate of Holding, which is just a bag but with a bigger entrance.
    A riding dog could easily fit through a normal bag of holding entrance.
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-04-08 at 04:16 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

You kill your animal companion and simply get a new one on the other side. Yeah, it sucks that you have to spend a day praying to get your class feature back, but it's not like it costs money or anything.

I am assuming you are an EVIL outsider of course.

The good solution is to release your animal companion from your service to much the same effect.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2021-04-08 at 11:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    A riding dog could easily fit through a normal bag of holding entrance.
    The phrasing "stuff the poor critter" suggests they are sensitive to the animal's feelings on the matter, and I'm pretty sure most human sized dogs would not be any more interested in being stuffed in a bag (probably head first) than a human would- they already don't like carrier crates meant for them.
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The phrasing "stuff the poor critter" suggests they are sensitive to the animal's feelings on the matter, and I'm pretty sure most human sized dogs would not be any more interested in being stuffed in a bag (probably head first) than a human would- they already don't like carrier crates meant for them.
    Depends on how trained they are, and while the bag might be small in volume from the outside, it's decently large on the inside, it would be the equivalent of having the dog walk into a tunnel that opens up into a small cave, just hold the bag open horizontally and have the dog walk in, no stuffing required. Basically the same as having it walk into a crate, which speaking of, well trained dogs enter readily on command. As an animal companion, I have to assume it's fairly well trained, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    You kill your animal companion and simply get a new one on the other side. Yeah, it sucks that you have to spend a day praying to get your class feature back, but it's not like it costs money or anything.

I am assuming you are an EVIL outsider of course.

The good solution is to release your animal companion from your service to much the same effect.
    Plenty of celestials have the same teleport SLA limitations.
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-04-08 at 04:03 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Depends on how trained they are, and while the bag might be small in volume from the outside, it's decently large on the inside, it would be the equivalent of having the dog walk into a tunnel that opens up into a small cave, just hold the bag open horizontally and have the dog walk in, no stuffing required. Basically the same as having it walk into a crate, which speaking of, well trained dogs enter readily on command. As an animal companion, I have to assume it's fairly well trained, right?
    Assuming the Type 1, it holds 30 cubic feet, or a hair more than a 3'x3'x3' if in a cubic shape, narrower if it has to "stretch" longer. Not what I'd call a small cave, but comparable to a crate.

I'd probably charge a separate trick for entering tight spaces readily, if it was being considered before game: while modern life includes many situations where an animal needs to be put in a crate (making it part of the trick package commonly used), I don't think it was nearly so common in the "medieval" era, at least for full-grown dogs. Races of Stone says that the Come and Heel tricks will get an animal into a tight space, but those are follow commands, not go commands. But there doesn't seem to be a Go command. But since a decent Handle Animal check will let you skilltastically make any animal perform any trick, that easily include an obvious trick or "trick" that wasn't stipulated before the game began, and Animal Companions are much easier.
    sheer awesomeness

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If Pathfinder material is permitted, there's a 2nd level spell for it.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #10

If you have a psychoactive skin of proteus and can somehow teach your animal companion to use it like you want...

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

Plenty of celestials have the same teleport SLA limitations.
    Again, the good solution is to release the animal from your service and do the ritual to call a new one at the new location. It's free. It takes 24 hours, and that kind of sucks, but is far less of a pain than doing something like summoning a familiar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Ask the DM? If your animal companion could travel with you, I don't see this a gamebreaking (especially compared to what a druid could do). Invent a RP reason for it, like you share a soul or somesuch, I don't know.
    If it's for an IC competition, sure you need a solution, but if it's for fun around a table with your mates, it seems like a mean hurdle to leave in the way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Soften your animal companion up with some contact dex poison, then cast 'Jungle's Rapture' on them. If the AC's Dex was low enough to begin with (might as well start with zero Dex just in case), the business end of the spell will be instantaneous and the critter won't be tortured. They'll turn into a plant 'the same size' as the AC, but they'll probably be leafy and branched (if it's a really big AC, prune it back), and they'll also count as an object. Then, teleport with your plant, dismiss the spell, then use a Wand of Restoration to fix the Dex issue.

Otherwise, cast 'Acorn of Far Travel', name the tree '50 pounds', now anyone who holds the acorn is under 50 pounds and can be teleported as a normal passenger.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Otherwise, cast 'Acorn of Far Travel', name the tree '50 pounds', now anyone who holds the acorn is under 50 pounds and can be teleported as a normal passenger.
    If this level of willful misinterpretation of the text is allowable, there's no need for acorn of far travel. The limits all say "self plus 50 pounds of objects only", so just name your animal companion "50 pounds of objects" and you can apply the teleport to them.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    If this level of willful misinterpretation of the text is allowable, there's no need for acorn of far travel. The limits all say "self plus 50 pounds of objects only", so just name your animal companion "50 pounds of objects" and you can apply the teleport to them.
    That's the spirit!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    That's the spirit!
    Go name optimization!

… and Vow of Nudity, since it is *only* self plus "50 pounds of objects" that gets teleported
    Last edited by Quertus; 2021-04-10 at 11:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

You could always find a way to manifest fusion on your companion, then teleport your new self. When you unfusion, your companion is right there with you.