New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Getting Access to Summon Monster

Suppose you’re playing a divine caster who wants to get into Nar Demonbinder but Summon Monster isn’t natively on your list. How could you fix that?

I have 3.5 ideas right now.
    1. Take Initiate of Olidammara. Olidammara’s Bard Spell gives
    you access to the Bard spell list up to 3rd level.

2. Take Magical Training (Wizard) and copy a Summon Monster spell into your spellbook. Having a spell in your spellbook and knowing the spell may be different things though.

2.5. Take Magical Training, Alternate Source Spell, and Arcane Disciple (Summoner Domain), treating your Divine casting side as the arcane casting for the purposes of the feat.

3. Just take a dip in any class that has access to the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Getting Access to Summon Monster

Radiant Fire for another initiate feat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Extra Spell cheese?
    I’d considered that, but that feat is so hard to parse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvistic View Post
    Radiant Fire for another initiate feat.
    Unfortunately that feat requires Cleric levels, which get SM natively.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to suggest Summon Monster as an SLA (since SLAs can sub for specific spells when it comes to reqs), but the wording of Nar Demonbinder is a bit weird "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell".

Nightbringer Initiate feat adds Summon Monster V to a Druid's spell list.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unfortunately that feat requires Cleric levels, which get SM natively.[/QUOTE]
    I think some others like favored soul can take it too, but I suppose that's not much different either to matter.

What's the class you're thinking of, healer?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvistic View Post
    Unfortunately that feat requires Cleric levels, which get SM natively.
    I think some others like favored soul can take it too, but I suppose that's not much different either to matter.

What's the class you're thinking of, healer?[/QUOTE]

Urban Druid actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I was going to suggest Summon Monster as an SLA (since SLAs can sub for specific spells when it comes to reqs), but the wording of Nar Demonbinder is a bit weird "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell".

Nightbringer Initiate feat adds Summon Monster V to a Druid's spell list.
    This is why I considered Magical Training and scribing the spell into the spellbook. Does that count as knowing?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With DM permission, maybe do a private research on a new spell like Summon Monster 0? As a zero level spell it shouldn't be that hard, and is all you need.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Urban Druid actually.
    Nghtbringer Initiate adds Summon Monster V to the Druid spell list - a generous reading might include Urban Druid, but probably not.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Nghtbringer Initiate adds Summon Monster V to the Druid spell list - a generous reading might include Urban Druid, but probably not.
    The feat also requires spontaneous SNA which Urban Druid doesn’t get :/

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Divine Disciple or Contemplative can both give bonus domains (including the ones that give Summon Monster), but come online fairly late if you are trying to get into Nar Demonbinder.

Maybe Planar Touchstone / Catalogues of Enlightenment might work with the right domain?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

but the wording of Nar Demonbinder is a bit weird "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell".
    That actually makes it rather difficult, because clerics and druids don't actually count as knowing any of their spells according to the definition of what spells known is in the phb. Only sorcerers and wizards, and classes that mimic their casting (like bards, assassins, archivists, favoured soul etc), "know" any spells, but divine casters who pray for their spells will never qualify, as even if the spell is on their spell list, they still don't actually count as knowing that spell.

This is why I considered Magical Training and scribing the spell into the spellbook. Does that count as knowing?
    Yes, that should technically qualify, as a wizard counts as knowing all the spells in their spellbook, even if they aren't capable of casting them.
    Last edited by Crake; 2021-04-10 at 04:31 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Divine Disciple or Contemplative can both give bonus domains (including the ones that give Summon Monster), but come online fairly late if you are trying to get into Nar Demonbinder.

Maybe Planar Touchstone / Catalogues of Enlightenment might work with the right domain?
    Planar Touchstone (Catalogues) is my usual go-to. Since the higher order abilities are cast as spells, it even arguably can cheese you into NDB without otherwise being a caster.

For earlier access than Divine Disciple/Contemplative, you can use something like Divine Oracle or Holt Warden that gives a specific domain and then UMD a wand of Substitute Domain to swap it out for Summoner.

If SLAs count as knowledge of the spell, and for this purpose it seems like they should. Touch of Summoning (though its an Eberron regional feat which might have a setting conflict with NDB) or the Draconic Rite of Passage can get you SM I.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    That actually makes it rather difficult, because clerics and druids don't actually count as knowing any of their spells according to the definition of what spells known is in the phb. Only sorcerers and wizards, and classes that mimic their casting (like bards, assassins, archivists, favoured soul etc), "know" any spells, but divine casters who pray for their spells will never qualify, as even if the spell is on their spell list, they still don't actually count as knowing that spell.
    Hmm that is troublesome. Funny that the wording is that way when NDB can explicitly qualify through divine casting and generally it seems that PrC's are written with the assumption that Cleric and Druid are the only actual divine casters.

Yes, that should technically qualify, as a wizard counts as knowing all the spells in their spellbook, even if they aren't capable of casting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Adding Spells to a Wizard’s Spellbook
    Wizards can add new spells to their spellbooks through several methods. If a wizard has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, she can learn spells only from schools whose spells she can cast.
    Aha. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Planar Touchstone (Catalogues) is my usual go-to. Since the higher order abilities are cast as spells, it even arguably can cheese you into NDB without otherwise being a caster.

For earlier access than Divine Disciple/Contemplative, you can use something like Divine Oracle or Holt Warden that gives a specific domain and then UMD a wand of Substitute Domain to swap it out for Summoner.

If SLAs count as knowledge of the spell, and for this purpose it seems like they should. Touch of Summoning (though its an Eberron regional feat which might have a setting conflict with NDB) or the Draconic Rite of Passage can get you SM I.
    Ah I knew that PT (Catalogues) would give access to the domain power, I forgot about Higher-Order Uses. It's pretty explicit that it allows you to cast spells from that domain, but now it does make me wonder if that counts for the "knowing" part...

Touch of Summoning is about as straightforward as I could have asked for! I knew there'd be a feat like that out there somewhere.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The feat also requires spontaneous SNA which Urban Druid doesn’t get :/
    If there was a way to get SNA on the urban druids spell list, they could get the spontaneous summoner feat.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Argue that knowledge arcane gives you knowledge of summon monster. And that spellcraft teaches you how it is cast Alternatively add a rank in knowledge:summon monster.

Hope this helps!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Argue that knowledge arcane gives you knowledge of summon monster. And that spellcraft teaches you how it is cast Alternatively add a rank in knowledge:summon monster.

Hope this helps!
    I know you’re joking but in all honesty, how meaningful is the phrase “must know X spell” when most other instances of casting requirements are phrased “must be able to cast X spell” or “must have X spell known”?

It may very well be possible that simply being aware of Summon Monster spells and capable of casting 4th level spells qualifies you for NDB.