New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Blackwing/Toto

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

biggrin Blackwing/Toto

So, just realized.

Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz books (and I'm speaking from the books, not the film), has a little black dog named Toto. She understands everything he barks (though in the film Dorothy seems to know what he's saying, too), making him sort of a familiar.

However, later in the books, it's revealed all animals can speak like humans. Someone notes that Toto has never spoken. Dorothy then asks Toto if he wants to speak. He says, "Woof!" (which Dorothy recognizes as "no"). She asks again to say something, just to prove he's like every animal in Oz, and he barks, "Woof!" (no, again.) She then cajoles, "Just one word, Toto — and then you may run away." Toto, says, "All right. Here I go" and runs away.

Sort of reminds me of another black animal companion who didn't speak for a long time because they just didn't want to, partly because their human master already knew what they were thinking or saying due to a psychic bond.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Blackwing/Toto

Interesting idea. I think Blackwing choosing not to talk to V in particular is down to V ghosting hir familiar out of existence on a regular basis, which is new levels of rude.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Blackwing/Toto

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    So, just realized.

Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz books (and I'm speaking from the books, not the film), has a little black dog named Toto. She understands everything he barks (though in the film Dorothy seems to know what he's saying, too), making him sort of a familiar.
    "Toto is Dorothy's familiar" is not a take I was expecting to hear. But here it is.
    Shh! I'm hiding.