New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Slums, Sewers and Dark, Dank Dungeons [D&D 3.5] [Eberron]

Keeping an eye on the gnome as he leads them through the guild, Gexe eventually sees enough to recognize the Dragonmark on his neck, wondering to herself why someone from House Sivis is helping run a Ratcatcher's Guild... But the updated death toll is far more concerning at the moment.

Aetgexe focuses on the dead, brushing past the rats and the missing finger. "Cutthroats, after all. That's something we can help you with!" When Greenflower (d'Sivis?) defers to his superior down the hall on the real issue of payment, Gexe walks with the rest past the catcher's card games and through the unlatched door. "Knock Knock, Weston?"

The empty room is less surprising than the bloodstain on the floor, too large for a simple rat-cooking accident... "Well, that doesn't look good..." Gexe calculates quickly, with Greenflower clearly of the impression Weston was just here, and the unassuming pair of catchers down the hall, no one ran bleeding out of the building recently. Weston (and likely his attacker) are either somewhere nearby, or took a closer exit... There may be an escape through the vagrant's derelict shed, next door.

Narrowing her eyes, Gexe quickly sweeps the small office for leads.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Oh hey, something that Gexe is actually good at! Searching!

Search, Taking 10 for a quick 6-second scour of each 5x5 square of the office, at 20 each...
    Mainly looking for any useful signs of struggle, things the assailant may have left behind, or secret entrances/exits they may have used to get away?

Passive Spot/Listen of 13 , if she gets jumped during her search...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Natrax gives a slight nod to the ratcatchers playing cards, when Gexe opens the door and the unmistakable patch of blood comes into his view Natrax seems to be paralyzed for a moment but then springs into Action, first speaking to Gomb. Get out and in the air, see if anyone runs away from here.

He then runs back and into the common room with the two ratcatchers playing cards. Tell me immediately, has anyone gone to Weston besides us or has anyone left his room? To give his words more meaning the young man looks menancingly at the two ratcatchers.

Show
    It feels like an Intimidate is fitting for this? (1d20+8)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

The tattoo and how Greenflower tried to hide it makes Gomb cautious. He keeps a good eye on the gnome as the group moves around the guildhouse and listens attentively to what he has to say to see if something feels off.
    Damn it! Damn it! Dmn it! DAMN IT! Gomb doesn't like the empty room, let alone the bloodstain at all. Registering Natrax's instruction, he quickly bolts past Aetgexe and dives for the closest window. On it! Once outside, he takes to the sky, soaring in a wide circle, keeping an eye on the surrounding streets. The pool on the floor was only mostly dry, so there might be a chance that he can spot, well, something. Judging by the amount of blood, someone's gravely injured at the very least, or more likely dead. That should slow down… Whoever they are after.

Spoiler: Checks!
    Show
    A retroactive sense motive for the conversation with the gnome: (1d20+5)[15]
    As well as a Spot check to see a body, someone dragging a body, someone running away suspiciously or the like: (1d20+6)[20]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Aetgexe
    Show
    You do not find anything too suspicious in the room, except for the door. There are clear cracks around the lock, someone forced their way into the room!

As you look harder at the floor, you see a few faint blood drops leading from the big bloodstain to Weston's door.

The two ratcatchers look up, clearly stunned by the way Natrax bursts in and starts demanding things. After a few confused seconds, the one with a missing thumb responds, "Uhhh. No, I didn't see anyone go see him. Weston is the only one who lives here. Everyone else has their own place. Weston doesn't like to be bothered in the mornings."

The other ratcatcher chimes in, "Have... You seen Beila?"

"No. She didn't come in today."

"Weird."

"She usually comes in in the morning. She's new though. Newbies always come in late once they get comfortable."

Spoiler: Gomb
    Show
    You race outside, sadly you do not see anyone suspicious... Except, across the street from the Ratcatcher's Guild Hall is the "Quick Stay Inn". On the second floor, a man stands on the balcony. He is clad in all black. He is staring at the Guilds Hall with a scowl on his face.
    "Never tell me the odds!"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Cass is very worried, blood belongs inside the body not outside assuming it was the Guild Master's blood.
    "Do you think it was a robbery or a kidnapping?
    Everyone else was stolen, but why go after Guild Master, he isn't grabbing rats personally..."

Cass thought he should make sure, this isn't all an illusion. Never be to sure...
    Cass casts Detect Magic, waving his hands, "Litmi Vuu Vi Mogic"
    Cass then carefully tries to piece together if everything is in its place, due to lack of dust or other movement to placed, so things aren't where they should be.

Spoiler
    Show

Might as well roll these bones for search/spot as well.
    Casting Detect Magic and searching for anything out of place if it is a robbery.
    Search - (1d20+8)[23]
    spot - (1d20+0)[8]

For my fake magic, I will basically say general effect:
    Vowel: replacing normal E with i's, but two E's become u's instead. Normal A's will become o's. Normal O's become a's. Normal I's become e's.
    Consonants: Normal S's become v's. Normal B's become k's. Normal V's become s's. Normal K's become b's

Figured that should usually make it look mysterious but still readable.

6. - Top - End - #36

Catching a glimpse of the man in black, Gomb begins to gain altitude and turns slightly to the right to get safely out of his field of vision. This can't be good. he mutters to himself as he starts gliding down to the roof of a building behind the inn. Once there he quickly looks around and gets down to business. His gear slowly melds into his body as he grows smaller and smaller until he's indistinguishable from an ordinary little sparrow. Done with that, he takes wing again and softly lands on top of the inn. He hops down to the edge of the roof trying to make as little noise as possible, and pressing himself against it he cautiously sticks his head out and looks down at the balcony.

Show

My name is Gomb. James Gomb!
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[12]
    Hide: (1d20+15)[22] (+8 size, +6 DEX (in little sparrow form only!), +1 rank)
    Spot (looking for tattoos, insignia, distinguishing features etc.): (1d20+6)[7]
    Listen (for anything from the man or from the room behind him): (1d20+6)[14]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Damn, it seems disaster has struck twice.

Can you tell me where Beila has her place? It may be crucial.

Already Natrax can't stand still, impatiently clenching his fists, his mind already half-forming the first phrases of a spell. It was agonizing for him staying in one place when there was clearly something to do.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Cass
    Show
    Cass looks around the place for several minutes, before stumbling on a few tufts of hair stuck in the floor boards, as well as some blood droplets here and there, as well as some scuff marks on the floorboard. Following the clues, Cass finds that they lead to a trap door. The door looks to be a trash chute of some kind, leading to the sewers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You do not detect any magic.

The men look at each other and shrug, "Not sure, really. Don't like to be too personable with the newbies. Forming attachments leads to sadness when they quit."

"I think she lives in the hostel near the lightning rail?" replies the other ratcatcher to Natrax.

Show
    You swoop in quite and stealthily. You take a peak at the man and spots the black toad tattoo on the man's wrist, indicating he is a member of the Ebony Toads!

Inside the room, there appears to be a bed, two night stands and a candle that has not been lit.

Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-23 at 01:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The trapsmith sweeps the room as she would any dangerous dungeon, but finds only a trail of blood leading out of the office door. Gexe follows the trail to see where the bleeder (assailant or victim?) may have gone...

Out in the hallway she overhears the discussion about the newbie Beila, "Another missing ratcatcher? We need to act fast to save everyone we can!"
    Show
    Gexe will keep taking 10 for a Search result of 20 as she goes, to try and find the trail as fast as possible... That'll reveal most non-magical traps and secret doors, but if the trail goes cold she'll do a deeper search of the last area she gets stuck at from the blood trail.

If stuck, 1 Round Search - (1d20+10)[24].

Is she's still stuck, she'll take 2 min to really dig in and look, Taking 20 for Search 30. She's got Trapfinding, so she can find magical traps + doors if this gets really interesting!

10. - Top - End - #40

Having seen enough, Gomb resumes flight and circling around not to reveal himself, maneuvers back into the guildhouse and gracefully lands on Gexe's left shoulder. So. No sign of Weston outside, but we do have company. An Ebony Toad is watching the guildhouse from the balcony of the inn across the street. He's alone as far as I can tell and he doesn't look happy. Should we do something about that?

Spoiler: Check!
    Show
    Move Silently to get away unnoticed: (1d20+11)[26]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Gexe keeps her eyes on the trail, listening to Gomb's report. "Ugh, I thought this might have something to do with those greasy, wannabe up-and-comers." At Gomb's suggestion they take the initiative, she stops for a moment and thinks.

"That's not a bad plan... Rather than wait for them to jump us, we can get the drop on them. If you catch them setting up an ambush ahead of us, we can turn the tables and beat some information out of them, instead. Think they saw you?" Gexe flashes a mischevious grin at the borby scout.
    Show
    I like it If we don't find anything, we can gently interrogate some thugs and get our lead that way!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Cass goes to find his fellows and whispers to them, "Psst, guys, I found a trap door that leads to the sewers, if we follow it, we might find the Guild Master. I was searching for anything we missed and found it."

Just then Gomb appears on Gexe's shoulder. Cass was wondering where that bird friend was doing.
    "Are Ebony Toads involved? So, we have at least two options interrogate the Ebony Toad or check out the sewers."

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    Think they saw you?"
    No way! Gomb replies, adding a few proud, emphatic chirps for good measure. I mean, he might have seen me flying away before I switched size, but that's it. It didn't seem to bother him much either, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he's been spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    "So, we have at least two options interrogate the Ebony Toad or check out the sewers."
    Gomb then turns to Cass and ponders his words briefly. Well, I bet the sewers won't go anywhere and the Toad might while we trudge through the sludge.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The toad or the blood… It seems that it may be more important to follow whoever got injured but if the toads are directly responsible it would probably be better to get them first, or they may get us when we are in a bad situation. Natrax nods, both to himself and to the others.

Let's get to him. Fergus and me get in his room, Gomb should stay afloat, should other people arrive and the rest of you can get him if he wants to jump out of that window. Sounds good?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Aetgexe listens as everyone bands back together, with three leads pulling them all in different directions... Gexe feels worried about potentially leaving someone to bleed to death, but the rest of the gang was right. This blood is dry, whereas that Toad is alive, here and now, and dangerous... Moreso if he's got a hold of some of his friends, already. "The Ebony Toads aren't the brightest bunch, but they do have numbers... And gang toughs love their group ambushes. We need to get to him before he gets the word out, if he hasn't already."

Looking at Gomb, "Keep an eye on him, and signal to the rest which window he's watching from, but stay safe and out of sight." Gesturing at the raring Natrax and the stoic, yet still somehow clearly grumpy Fergus, "The boys and I will go around back of his building, and cut him off. They can handle him if things get rough, and I'll see if we can't convince him to stick around for a chat." Gexe pats her pack, clanging lightly off of the toothy trap inside.

Finally, she locks eyes with Cass. "Once we're set, our bewitching blacksmith here can walk up to the voyeurs' window and see if we can't just convince him to just play nice with us. Best bet, this is all just a misunderstanding, and the Toads want to our Ratcatchers back on the streets and feeding the poor."
    Show
    Everyone seems on board with taking on the Toad(s) first, so lets give it a go!

If they make it in time, Gexe will plant her Footsaw outside the nearest door to the bedroom / Inn she expects him to come bolting out of, and get behind the bruisers. She can at least try to give them a +2 flanking bonus each, if nothing else

Footsaw Trap: Search DC 20, Touch Attack +8, 1d6 Subdual dmg, movement halved, automatic 1d4 dmg per target movement until removed. STR DC 25, Escape DC 30

She'll take 10 to carefully set the trap (Disable Device 20 vs DC 20) at regular speed,
    Trap set in - (2d4)[7] Rounds

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, guess we get to see how tough the minds of these Toads are to crack." Cass says as he chuckles.

"Hey, maybe you right that Toad knows what the problem is and was sent to solve it. So, we team up briefly while he is charmed? More help the merrier and all." Cass says as he readies a Charm Person till Toad is in range.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 14 for Charm Person.
    Assuming they have only a +0 Will, it is like a 70% success so good chance.
    If it fails, guess we interrogate them in a harder way.

17. - Top - End - #47

Gomb flaps his wings excitedly. They are doing this, after all. Sounds like a sound plan. he says. I'll look around to see if there's other Toads on the streets around and I'll get back quick to flutter a bit under his window. Not that you can miss it: he's on the second floor balcony. Make sure you don't look up unless and until you have to. We don't want him to know that we know. With that, off he flies, not suppressing a few amused chirps responding to the idea that the Toads might mean well. Once he's out and in the open, he soars high and circles around to check the streets below before diving down to see to business.

Spoiler: Checks! Comments!
    Show

Spot to see if the streets are clean and safe: (1d20+6)[16]
    If he sees no gang of Toads, he swoops down to fly under the balcony:
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[18]
    Hide (while moving): (1d20+18)[19] (+16 size (I messed it up last time and added his special size modifier instead of the special Hide modifier) +6 DEX +1 rank -5 movement)
    If he sees more toads, he gets back to the group to warn them instead.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Charm person failed, he made his save (Nat 20! Wow!)

No other toads around.

Aetgexe sets the trap.

Cass attempts to charm the Toad from a distance but the man shrugs it off. Thankfully, he does not seem to notice that a spell was cast on him.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

" Wow, I failed to enrapture his mind. I will try again but be advised, he might be too strong."
    Cass tries again to Charm his friend so they can interrogate him.

I may not be a religious man, but may Tymora guide my magic this moment.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 14 for Charm Person.
    Hope for the best!

20. - Top - End - #50

Gomb flies up high again to circle about, surveying the scene.

Show
    There isn't much he can do currently, so while I do not expect that anyone will show up, he'll continue to be on the lookout for now.
    Spot check, just in case: (1d20+6)[10]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Toad on the balcony yawns then looks down at the street. He notices Cass staring at him, "OIY! What you lookin' at!? You know I'm with the Toads, don't ya? Get out of here before we SQUASHA YA!"

Show
    Nothing out of the ordinary

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sorry, I was just dazzled by your good looks and muscular figure. Never seen such a heroic figure. I don't mean any harm." Cass says slyly.

Spoiler
    Show

Try diplomacy
    (1d20+2)[20], I need more ranks, but never know, I mean the Toad rolled 20's and 15's

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man looks Cass over and smiles. He calls back, "Why don't you come up here? You can admire my heroic figure from a better vantage point."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Cass whispers to his fellows, "Well, guess I should try to talk to him. Wish me luck"

Cass replies, "I'll see you inside the Inn if I can find you" as he walks into the Inn looking for the second floor where the Toad is.

Spoiler
    Show

Am I able to see the Toad from inside of the Inn?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    No, the second floor is not visible from the first floor.

As you enter the inn through the old, wooden door, you're welcomed by a thick musk of incense and debauchery. A short, squat halfling woman, wearing a poufy red wig, sits at the bar. When Cass enters, she taps a bell. The bartender is smoking a large pipe fashioned into the shape of a dwarven battleaxe. He makes no effort to acknowledge your presence. The tavern itself is almost completely abandoned. The few people inside are eerily silent, you're unsure if all of them are even alive, but whoever they are, they radiate a nervous energy. The Toad from the balcony outside stands at the top of a narrow staircase leading to the second floor, he nods, acknowledging you. With a simple motion, her invites you upstairs...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Cass is starting to get nervous a little at the atmosphere. Cass smiles at the halfling as he ascends the stairs.

"So, nice place you got here, are the drinks any good?"
    Cass says as he makes it upstairs.

27. - Top - End - #57

Overhearing the shouted conversation between Cass and the Toad, Gomb takes another quick look around and then swoops down to the balcony as the Toad retreats into the building so that he'll be at hand if things turn ugly.

Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[15]
    Hide: (1d20+23)[42]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Toad escorts you to his room. It is plain and simple, as you would expect for a hotel in the slums. He walks over to the balcony and cracks open a bottle of very cheap wine. He offers it to Cass.

Show
    Nothing out of the ordinary. You are well hidden.
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-05-02 at 11:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Cass scans the area of the room: Taking in the ambience, just needing to be careful, as he is in unfamiliar territory.

"Thanks for the wine, " Cass says as grabs his empty waterskin and fill a bit with the wine and sips it. "Ah, that hits the spot."

Cass smiles, "So, how long have been in the Ebony Toads?"
    Cass tries to hide a thumbs up to Gomb to indicate "I am okay" so the team doesn't worry.

Spoiler
    Show

Cass is too trained in politeness to drink from the bottle.
    Thiinking I should talk a bit then go into disappearances.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man nods at Cass, "Good call. Sorry, I don't get many visitors." He walks over to the edge of the balcony and leans against the railing, "How long have I been a Toad? Longer than I have been an adult. I am sure it is the same for you and your group. Honestly, I'm happy you came. I was beginning to worry Halbin was going to back out of the deal. The shipment will be here in two days. Halbin's goons need to be at the docks at midnight. The Express to the Plains leaves at 1 AM, sharp." He turns around and takes a big swig from the bottle, "This time next week, the Toads and your organization will be as rich as this slum is stinky."