New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Slums, Sewers and Dark, Dank Dungeons [D&D 3.5] [Eberron]

As Natrax brings the unconscious Banjo into the room, Fergus watches the brown-haired wererat remove the arrow from the blonde and bandage her up, axe at the ready. While Gomb circles around them to their rear, Aetgexe returns to the newly-cleaned table of tidbits, picking through for clues and trinkets. Cass' wand fizzles over the arrow in his own shoulder once before a soothing hum emits, forcing the arrow out of his back as the wound heals up.

Spoiler: Aetgexe Search OOC
    Show
    Two leather collars, One ivory collar.
    Many bones, some human and some animal, no blood remaining after the cleaning.
    Sword scars across the tabletop, Water damage causing the table to be warped.

The brown rat sighs as he staunches the Blonde's bleeding wound, but not so loudly as to drown out Gomb's ready ear on the yellowed curtain, through which no sound travels. Once the Blonde is stable, Fergus slips out a pair of manacles he's brought along for just such an occasion, bolting the woman's hands together in front and stowing away her short sword while Natrax leans into the well-scarred man.

Spoiler: Gomb Spot+Listen OOC
    Show
    The curtain is a once-white, simple patterned cloth now weathered with filth and age, but without any large holes. The steady silence indicates to the scout there is nothing of interest happening on the other side at this time.

"In fairness, she was simply defending her home from those that would barge in after killing her guard birds." The man tilts his head to the side, "If someone came into your yard, killed your guard dog and entered without permission, any Rekkenmark patroller would arrest the intruder, not yourself. Granted, my Mistress is more squatter than owner of this particular bend..." The wererat shrugs with his hands returned to the air, in more laid-back acceptance of the situation than an admission of any guilt.

Spoiler: Natrax Sense OOC
    Show
    Natrax feels genuine honesty coming from the man, and sees no attempt to return to battle on his own. His bearing is still quite defensive as he's outnumbered and surrounded, looking around at the others as the circle and loot the room, but for all appearances is waiting to react to the developing situation around him.

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show
    Two more rounds before I reveal if there will be another 5+ rounds of downtime or not!

The sounds of their own combat no longer echo in the hallways, and no new sounds emerge.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Natrax seems to get more relaxed when talking with the brown rat-person. There isn't even a tang of guilt when he's talked to.

I have to object. When there is someone following a trail of blood that leads into my yard I think the patrollers would have some questions for me. And most of the guard birds survived I even spared a healing potion for Banjo here. We want to avoid bloodshed if possible, that's why I have to ask you again if you know anything about this suspicious trail of blood leading us here? Though before Natrax can shoot him a hard look he looks at the other wererat.

Will she be alright?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Exactly! Gomb nods along emphatically as Natrax speaks. We tried to calm down those poor birds when they descended on us and guess what? It worked! Right until she sicced them on us again, and yes, even then we tried not to hurt them. he continues grumpily. I was a squatter once, you know, before I realized it's not a thing one's supposed to do, and yet when these fine peolple here found me there, trying to kill them didn't even cross my mind. There's something seriously wrong with you people. The sparrow nocks a fresh arrow while talking and pushes past the curtain, looking around in the room beyond with his weapon raised for any sign of further hostiles, Weston or both.

Spoiler: CHECK.
    Show

Spot: (1d20+6)[9]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Having found no clues of interest, Aetgexe sweeps the items into her backpack before returning to join the others in conversation. Shrugging, the faerie adds, "In Thelanis, trespass on a lord's domain is always a punishable death rite. But I am unaware of the customs here."

Stretching out her hand, she begins to clear the piles of waste in the corner as she looks on at the pair of were's. "Have you truly seen no others down here recently?"
    As the group pushes on the mousy man, they recall the path they took to arrive here. The trail of blood ended at the base of the ladder, at the time presumed to be lost in the wading waters of city filth. Fergus, Cass, and Natrax each at one point needed to swim through sewage to even arrive this far deep. The few random splatters of blood on the wall may well have been entirely unrelated to their original target at any point in their travel, hours away from the entrance they had found...

The wererat gets further defensive at the intruder's push against their self-defense, "She will recover from your gracious patrol against squatters in time, yes. Unless you decide to pursue more of your pointed questioning? You're aware, it is moments like these that drive her hatred of people..."

Tilting his head, the wererat looks to Aetgexe's more specific question. "My mistress did take in an injured man she found today. Uncommon for her, she would usually leave them to die if they wandered down here." Nodding his head back towards the curtain, "He was unconscious when she brought him here. He wasn't wounded that badly, but I did bandage him before she bound him."

At the continued accusatory faces of the party, he adds, "For our own protection, of course. Humans just seem to love trying to kill us wererats on sight. Ah, and do mind the tripwire to her bedroom."
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Aetgexe moves to O5, cleaning waste from square P7.

The wererat nods towards the curtain, implying that Weston may be back that way. He's still looking back and forth between the party, the Blonde, and the unconscious rat in little clothing.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

While Cass isn't the best lately, Lady Luck ebs and flows with her luck. He figured he would try to search for this supposed tipe wire by the curtain. At least find it, if not disable it.

Spoiler
    Show

+8 search and ability to find/disable magic so I have a chance. Granted wererat could have been joking.
    I'll use my turn to move over thee and search the other round I got left.
    (1d20+8)[20]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Fergus maintains his vigil over the Wererats, the blonde in manacles and the bandaged one beside her on the floor, staring them down without breaking gaze to check the curtain. Aetgexe continues to clean the room looking for clues, moving slowly through the large piles of waste with nothing yet to show for it.

As Cass moves up towards the curtain with Gomb, the caged rat in the corner strains against the bars to snap it's jaws at the blacksmith, but is unable to wriggle far enough. Cass carefully peels back the curtain bottom, rolling up the fabric looking for the promised tripwire. Knowing what to look for, it takes little effort to safely find the wire just behind the curtain, roughly five inches off the ground. Cass peels the curtain back without issue, revealing the trap and the small room beyond in the exposed torchlight.

The first thing everyone notices is the small wooden table against the wall, with a mounted crossbow pointed at Gomb in the doorway, attached line running across the ceiling and back down the wall towards the tripwire. From his vantage point, Gomb can see a makeshift bedspace in the left corner not unlike his own in the Old Rat Hole. In the right corner is an unconscious human male, bound by rope and gagged with more orange fabric. His bandages are dried with blood, centered mostly on the ones wrapping his head and covering whatever hair the aged human male may have remaining.

7. - Top - End - #157

You are freaks. Gomb tells the wererats as he inspects the trap, before turning briefly towards Cass. Hold that curtain for me, will you?
    Once the fabric's out of the way, the bird hops over the tripwire and after approaching the crossbow cautiously, removes the bolt with a swift motion.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If there's more traps and the birdy triggers one, feel free to retcon stuff as needed.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, Natrax still didn't feel much guilt because it turned out that they were right. That Aetgeye was basically looting the place made him a bit queasy on the other hand, she should know what she were doing. It was probably fine.

The rest of the party all had a task and Natrax just hold vigil over the wererats. He didn't thought that they were in the position to fight, but it was best to stay alert.

Show
    Just keeping watch over the wererats (and Banjo) should they start something.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #159

Figuring that nothing else is going to hit him, Gomb approaches probably-Weston while drawing his axe and crouching down by the man, slips the blade under the rope as close to the knot as he can manage (no point in wasting some perfectly good rope, after all), and proceeds to cut through the bindings before removing the gag. Hey, Cass! he calls to the mage once done with the task. The room should be safe now. Could you tap might-be-Weston with your healing stick? He looks like he could use that.

Spoiler: SUNDER!
    Show

Against the damn rope: (1d20+5)[14] for (1d6+1)[7]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Cass moves forward hoping the traps are gone and taps the wand on the wounded man.
    "We have been looking for you Mr. Weston. Darn, this thing isn't working."
    Spoiler
    Show

UMD - (1d20+8)[15]
    (1d8+1)[2]

Hope this is Weston.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Aetgexe wraps up her cleaning of the large piles of waste in the corner, turning up no more than empty containers and tools trusted beyond repair. Looking at the others, she shrugs "There appears to be no further clues here, just a sewer lifestyle..."

Fergus looks around past the others as Gomb and Cass crowd around the body, but can not see through the pair. "Oy, is that 'im? Still breathing? Let's git 'im out of 'ere, then... 'Fore any Laranaks arrive ta finish the job."
    The Brown Wererat looks over his shoulder at the two in the bedroom, then back at the others in the room. "You can take the man whose life we saved with you, no skin off our snouts. Tell him not to venture too far into the city sewers again, yeah? There's dangerous creatures down here..."

Dropping his arms back down at his sides, he walks around the piles besides Banjo and the Blonde. "If'n you don't mind, we'd love to be alone, again?" The brown-haired man checks on Banjo, feeling through for any wounds he may need to care, seemingly pleased not to find any remaining.
    Show
    2 Rounds remaining inside the sewer bend / makeshift bedroom!

Weston weighs ~200lbs, and remains unconscious. Nothing additional has been heard / spotted so far!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After the wererat checked Banjo Natrax goes next to him and holds a portion towards him. Something like that saved him. With a clear indication that it was for them. By the way do you know anything about other missing people in the sewers? Like someone named Algie or other ratcatchers? You don't have to answer know. We have an inn in town. it seemed a bit inappropriate regarding the two but well it was the name. Ye Ole Rat Hole. And we won't throw you out just for being what you are.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Diplomacy check to get a bit of info, with a bribe. [ROLL]1d20+3[\ROLL]

13. - Top - End - #163

Gomb gently lifts Weston's upper body and motions to Cass, urging him to grab the man's legs. Reaching the doorframe, he sticks his little bird head out from behind the curtain and stares at the ratman intently. Also, are you absolutely sure Weston just stumbled down here, bleeding all over the place and crossed the cesspool with the tentacle thing all by himself? he looks down for a second, carefully stepping over the now harmless tripwire. Also also, your boss there alleged that we are Toads. Do those dumb goons we'd never ever work with use these tunnels too?

Spoiler: Check!
    Show

Sense Motive on the rat: (1d20+5)[9]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    let's try that diplomacy again. (1d20+3)[4]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gomb and Cass collect the unconscious man, Gexe collects the clues she's gathered and and Fergus returns to the hallway, sweeping the sewer for incoming and ready to take point on the return trip.

The wererat looks astonished at Natrax's suggestion. "Yes, I'll be sure to come right around to my mistress' attackers just as soon as I am able! Perhaps our next meeting you will be able to finish her off?" As the group files out and Gomb pushes once more at the man, he finally drops the sarcasm as his snouts curls into a snarl. "I have repeated myself enough. Your bloody bounty there stumbled into our sewers and my mistress' good graces to save him, whatever the idiot was doing down here by himself." Heading down the sewers in line, he leans his head out the doorway and shouts back, "And at least the Toads have never broken in, or assaulted us on sight!"

Winding back through the sewers, Cass and Gomb carry Weston well enough with Fergus on point, Natrax carrying the torch, and Aetgexe rear guard. This works until the return to the Carrion Eater, still bound but blocking the stairwell back. Aetgexe flashes her own kaleidoscope of colors to blind it long enough for herself and Fergus to gain a hold of the opposite leashes and corral it between the two of them. Natrax leads them through a side tunnel large enough to get the crawler out safely from an alleyway entrance, the day now late enough that foot traffic in the slum has died off. The few people they do encounter seem to want nothing to do with the group carrying a body and an aberration, vacating the alleyway for the main streets.

They return to the Old Rat Hole tavern at six after-noon (or six to-night, as some prefer) entering through the back as some thirsty customers are hopefully checking the doors. Aetgexe and Fergus shuffle the aberration into the basement as the others take Weston to an empty room upstairs. Laying him out to recover, the trio look to one another to determine what to do next. Let the man recover in time, and run the Tavern tonight? Close the Tavern to try something else? Attempt rushing his recovery at your wand's expense?

Show
    It is now 6 to-night!

If the Tavern is staffed by at least two of you, you'll make some income!

If not, the Tavern's future earnings will be slightly impacted by the odd hours it keeps.

If anyone wants to pawn or purchase something, most stores are still open until 8 to-night, giving you 2 hours for any shopping. One hour per item type, per shopper!

Someone can make local rounds with a Gather Info check, entertain the night's crowd, run to the Ratcatchers with an update, or ... something else you decide

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Natrax was still a little down that they weren't able to establish at least somehow friendly connections with the ratpeople down there, on the other hand... They were trying to solve the conflict from the beginning without bloodshed and they were pretty aggressive, perhaps they were just that way.

At least they got they're charge out of the sewers and into the tavern. Time to organize some things. Aetgexe and Fergus were already occupied by trying to build they're new garbage disposer a cozy new home. They would need to get someone from House Vadalis here, perhaps they could help train the Thing. But one after another.

Hey Gomb, could you fly to the ratcatchers Guild and tell them we have found they're missing leader? And if you have time, could you drop by a House Vadalis station and ask if they have someone who could train… Whatever we have down there? I'm gonna make everything ready for our guests, after I have cleaned myself. Cass could you try again to wake Weston with your wand? Perhaps the sewage water made it malfunction? If he's awake he can hang out in the barroom and he'll get a drink on the house.

Show
    Natrax try to get himself clean and then does what needs to be done to make everything ready for guests. Sweeping the floor, cleaning glasses, tables and chairs. Probably also other things that I'm blissfully unaware of.

17. - Top - End - #167

Sure thing! Gomb flaps his wings happily. The sooner they learn the better. And they should probably be warned about that creepy trapdoor leading to angry ratpeople things as well. he muses. Maybe the guild will even recompense them for their trouble! That would be nice. I'm not so sure about those Vadalis folks, though. he adds, while approaching and opening the window. They might not normally work with tentacle centipedes, you know. But I'll see what I can arrange! with that, the bird hops up on the windowsill and dives through, rising into the air.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Gomb, in Overland Flight

The Scout takes wing, flitting over the rooftops to check back in with the Ratcatchers Guild. The rooftops of this area of Rekkenmark are a mix of fresh timber and broken stone, all still recently repaired from the last war. Apparently someone has been jumping around, as even the rooftops have the occasional graffitti normally seen in the alleyway walls. It doesn't take Gomb long to get back to Greenflower at the guild's doorway. It takes longer to explain the situation to the gnome, who once down is visibly relieved.

"Wererats? Those foul creatures... Though if they truly did save the Guildmaster, then they have our most sincere gratitude. Not that I trust their word for it."

Heading to the back, Barnan eventually returns with a reddish potion vial in hand, offering it to Gomb to give Weston in order to heal the human. Gomb wings off to rejoin the others, keeping an eye out for any additional tails he may pick up. At one point he spots someone that might be following him, but a quick doubling back around leaves him alone on his return journey.

Cass and Natrax, Meanwhile back at the Bar

Leaving Weston upstairs to recover in the spare suite, Cass and Natrax head downstairs tp the main hall of the Old Rat Hole, still immaculate from the magical cleaning given to it this morning. The young Necromancer makes his way to the bar, readying his latest liqours for the evening as Cass checks out the front door eyelet for trouble before cracking open the entrance for the three guards at the door. Cass knows them as Jocylene, Eyre, and Brigid, three Shieldmaidens that frequent the bar often enough without trouble. In truth, having them around usually reduces any issues they might see that evening.

"Ah, there's the lad!"

"And we were worried we may have to start a search party inside!"

The women file in to a table near the center and order a round of mead to start their evening, discussing their patrols for the day. Over the next hour, others join in from the road, mostly bedraggled travelers inb long cloaks, their filth-crusted hems dragging across once-clean floors as they unintentionally bring the outside slum in with them. In between serving tables, Cass shuffles more straw by the door to abet the worst of it.

Natrax makes small talk at the bar itself, keeping pleasant company as he catches eyes from men and women alike. One particular traveler regales him of goblin highwaymen on the roads, sloppily warning him to keep his ale in stock before they can't get anymore of the "good stuff" in, before ordering more of the cheaper swill once more.

Cass notes two new additions to their quest board, helping one halfling with a stoll to tack hers up higher for notice. Cass takes the opportunity to read it himself before a group of three elves walk by to check for themselves. Another day, another missing person request.

Eventually Fergus and Aetgexe both emerge from the basement, the Dwarf taking his usual station as security at the door as the Fey jumps in serving tables and making bar bites. Not soon after Gomb can be seen from the stairwell, motioning to the others to join him upstairs. Leaving Fergus to watch and Gexe to serve the pre-made swills, Cass and Natrax make their way upstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show
    Sorry for the wait!

Many checks were made, mostly Spot/Listen/Gather Information throughout... Results left unknown

Let me know in Discord or OOC if anything above needs a slight tweak, otherwise we reconvene upstairs!

19. - Top - End - #169

Once the two humans catch up with him, Gomb steps closer to the bed and pulls the vial the gnome gave him from his belt. So, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that these people are just cheap. All they gave me for our trouble was some potion and even that was meant for Weston. But! The good news is the bird pinches the guildmaster's nose and as Weston opens his mouth to inhale, he pulls the stopper out of the vial with his beak and releasing the man, he inserts the neck of the small bottle into Weston's open mouth, pouring its contents down his throat. that we should soon be able to squeeze a happy thank you out of the man himself!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After serving the three shieldmaidens. Always good to know that the guards are ready to rescue a dapper lad in distress. Says Natrax with a boyish smile before getting back to his duties.

As he hears the usual stories, the unusual one about the goblin highwaymen is noted, perhaps something to investigate later, but now they definitely still had they're hands full regarding Weston.

Gomb's method of feeding a potion may have been a bit unorthodox, but it definitely get the job done. I'm sure we will get a proper thank you when they have they're guildmaster savely with them. Hopefully he knows a bit more of what exactly happened.

Natrax looks at Weston to see if the potion that Gomb gave him was comparable to one of the healing potions he liked to keep around.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Natrax, History of Animal Husbandry
    Show
    In the northern region of Khorvaire, the nation of Karrnath has always struggled to feed it's people due to the short growing season they endure. To supplement foodstocks, the people have relied heavily on the availability offered by the meat and byproducts of magebread livestock. After the Last War, it's exceedingly rare to find any non-genetically-modified offerings on sale, and the citizens have learned to either eat or starve.

To that end, House Vadalis is known to be attracted to the nation's offerings to be on the cutting-edge of agricultural research. As the population is already inured to working with whatever harvest may come, changes in the food supply are met with little question or hesitancy, allowing strides in food sciences that other countries would little stomach.

Outside of the Capital, the Karrnathi branch of Vadalis maintain small outposts dotted throughout the rural farming communities, wandering between towns as they experiment and observe, offering help and insight where they can, as well as postal services to the most out-of-the-way communities they support.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

The liquid pours down the unconscious man's throat, working it's magic as he stirs on the bed. Eyelids fluttering open, Guildmaster Weston sits up slowly, taking in his new surroundings before checking his wrists for bindings. Finding none, the older man relaxes, before finally speaking. He speaks in a rich, older timbre without frailty, at contrast with his shock white mane and dark circles under his eyes.

"I must thank you for the rescue, I expect whatever that Wererat had in store would have been deeply unpleasant." Searching the walls of the spare room for a window and finding none, he inquires, "We are above ground, yes? Or is this another undercity hideout? How long have I been unconscious?" Eyebrows set together in concern, he faces the group as he pulls his legs around the edge of the bed into a sitting position.

Spoiler: Natrax
    Show
    The potion is much akin to the ones you carry, the main difference being the now-borken House Jorasco wax seal on the stopper, indicating it was obtained and purchased legally, rather than home-brewed. A price hike for sure, but a common enough first aid kit ingredient for more dire injuries.

Spoiler: Cass
    Show
    As Cass quietly watches the man come to, his focus is more on reading his behavior and mannerisms. Based on his waking demeanor on bearing, this man would be no small challenge in a fair fight. If the Wererat is to blame for his injuries, she would have had a rough time of handling him on her own.

A full Hunch will require further assessment, more observation, and more dialog.

23. - Top - End - #173

Hah! I so absolutely told you those ratperson things are the bad guys! Gomb flaps his wings with a triumphant little chirp. We should have shot the blonde one in the face when we had the chance. he adds, before turning to the guildmaster. Rest assured that you are safely above ground, Sir. Some twelve feet or so above ground, in fact. he replies to Weston cheerfully. As for how long you Sir've been out, I'm not sure. We are some way into the latter half of the afternoon, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You're at Ye Ole Rat Hole and safe. Though the two wererat's claimed that one of them actually found you wounded in the sewers, dragging you to they're hideout to take care of you. Did they attack you?

Natrax is pretty surprised that Weston seems to have it well together after all. He remembers his manners after that and introduces himself and his companions.

Are you hungry or thirsty? Or should we bring you back to the ratcatchers guild as soon as possible?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"When did you notice a Wererat was in your residence? Did she ambush you in your room or she say she wanted a talk and during the argument attack you? Regardless, why did she keep you?"
    Cass was curious, he understood in human form, she might be fetching and the gentlemen fell for it. But then maybe she had a grudge and just attacked. Maybe it was a ransom? Do wererat need money too? Something wasn't adding up, like when you fix something and get extra bolts, one definitely made a misstep.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Weston's one eyebrow raises at the murderous bird's excitement, before registering the time and place. The man relaxes slightly at the news, before answering questions.

"Someone... Something jumped me in my office, but I didn't see who. I was discussing things with Beila, our newest hire..." Looking suddenly surprised at himself, he quickly follows up, "Did you find her? I would hate to lose another so soon."

At the offer of a drink, he waves dismissively. "I've too much to do, too many of my people to find. Avenge." As Cass furthers the line of inquiry, "If the Wererat was in my office, I never knew. First I saw of her I was in the sewers, mostly tied up as she examined me, before she knocked me back out."

With a shrug, Weston thinks aloud, "May have been one of these Earth Rights halfwits, claiming that the cities' land ownership is against the natural order of things. Wanting to live life rent-free, wherever and however they want." Punctuated with a derisive snort, he finishes, "Only a rat would want to live in our poorly-maintained sewers. If even them. War took as much a toll underground as it did topside."

Standing, the man looks at the three one at a time. "I do need to be back at the guild. If you have any further information, on my own assault or those of my members, it's worth coin to me. As is your help to date, I'll have Greenflower draw up the contract if he hasn't already... Though he surely knows better than to touch our fund until he's seen my corpse cold."

Show
    Weston is ready to head out, last chance for any quick questions/mentions on your part as you walk him out / let him find his own way!

27. - Top - End - #177

When Weston mentions Beila, Gomb bows his head somewhat before shaking it slowly. Not unless she turned into a rat thing herself, Sir. the possibility that they might actually have her down in the basement, somewhere in the stomach of the tentacle caterpillar is nothing the bird would like to bring up or indeed think about too hard, so he decides to leave out this detail of possible relevance.
    The words "coin" and "contract" do, in turn, cheer him up significantly. Thank you, Mr. Weston, Sir. We'll keep looking. he chirps. But. Until then, we'd be happy to walk you back to the guild, lest you vanish again. I'd love to check if they plugged the trapdoor you Sir've been kidnapped through anyway.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm sorry we didn't find anyone else except you down there. We're just began the search thanks to Mung the baker who was concerned about another missing rat-catcher named Algie. We will definitely investigate further, sir perhaps you can give us a bit more direction where to look? We only searched the part of the sewer directly under your office after all.

Natrax nods to Gomb's suggestion. I think it'll be a good idea to accompany you. Who knows what these who attacked you may try next? Though I guess now that you're warned you will be save in your guild? And I can assure you that Greenflower only spared the potion which we used to heal you, nothing more.

Show
    I guess Natrax and Gomb will accompany Weston with Cass holding the inn? Probably after that a much needed rest (and spell refills) are in order.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Weston heads through the door and down the stairs, walking and talking. "Sad to say, Algie is no longer my latest missing member. I pray we find him and the others soon." As the group reaches the ground floor, they see their tables less full than when they left. Fergus' harsh barking laughter echoes through the din, pouring out more tankards for those still at the long bar. Aetgexe dances through the remaining tables with drinks towards a serious group playing cards, past the guardswomen as they toast to some unknown feat. Seeing them leaving she smiles to the group across the floor with a handmotion that they have things handled without them for now.

Heading back through the dark city streets, Weston takes a deep breath of the rank city night. "With the curfews lifted, it seems everyone wants to be out again these nights. I do appreciate the escort." The group make their way through the streets without issue, wending through the main paths and avoiding the back alleys. The guildmaster walks a decent pace, though it's clear he's still only recently recovered from his kidnapping. Cass and Natrax flank the older man patiently, while Gomb flits through the air, joined by the other fliers and gadgets whizzing through. Nothing appears to take immediate notice of them on their journey, and they arrive at the Guild safely.

Inside they find the excitable gnome beside himself, having feared the worst after the party left to find Weston. The old man assumes immediate command of the group inside, sending them to check the guild's trapdoors and scout the immediate areas for clues. Greenflower stays behind to draft both a general contract for aid, as well as a specific contract for the Old Rat Hole's prior assistance. Weston returns from his office dressed more appropriately in full leathers, carrying a rapier on his side and a small coin purse in his other hand.

"I've secured our guild's sewer entrance, no sign of recent movement. We've our posts secured for the evening, your work is done this night." He proffers the purse to Natrax, dropping it into his hand. "We'll post you tomorrow should we find a lead. I expect to be informed of the same. My thanks again. Take care of yours." He claps Cass' shoulder, with that last warning, sending them off into the night before barring the door behind them.

The night is dark and now fully cast upon Rekkenmark, lit by the occasional glow-torch of a building's outdoor sconce and the carried torches of the citizenry moving to and from. The night hangs a low half-moon between the clouds, offering a general lowlight outside of the darker alleyways. The wartime curfew has been recently lifted in this prior month, offering legitimate nighttime business and ventures opportunities to seize upon again. Your own experience has shown longer stays in your tavern, and some additional income, but with it you're sure the illegitimate night ventures have also increased under the more lax rule of the local Warlord.

Show
    The Party has received 300 gold each for their previous quest, in a coin pouch of 50 Platinum and 1000 gold coins. Most legitimate stores (including all the ones you are familiar with) are still closed at this hour.

Would we like to return to rest, explore, gather information, or something else?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Natrax nods thankfully for the coin purse and refrains from counting it at the moment. Way better to see what may be inside after meeting up with the rest of the party. Should we find out anything we will definitely tell you. We'll come back here tomorrow, perhaps we can assist you further. After the others gave they're Farewells, Natrax steps into the night of Rekkenmark to return to the inn, he know can call home.

We'll we didn't really find what we were looking for but I guess we at least found someone right? Perhaps we can get a more substantial lead tomorrow and with some of my arcane powers back I guess we can at least get a bit further. Perhaps the wererats do know more than they initially led on.

If nothing on the way back happens I guess Natrax would wait till they close the pub and then open the purse with everyone and share the gold.