New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Hellfire Warlock Questions

First: What breaks if we edit this clause out of the Hellfire Blast and Hellfire Shield powers?
    Because the diabolical forces behind the power of hellfire demand part of your essence in exchange for this granted power, if you do not have a Constitution score or are somehow immune to Constitution damage, you cannot use this ability.
    You still take the con damage, but you don't lose the ability if you become immune to the con damage or lose your con score.

Second: Would a specific feat, possibly an epic feat and/or one with steep prerequisites, that makes you immune specifically to con damage from hellfire warlock class features, with the note that this does not prevent you from using it, be overpowered, underpowered, or just eh(this is assuming that the above clause has not been removed.)

Third: More of an opinion, since I'm kind of confused on RAW vs RAI: Would you allow Hellfire to count as Fire for the purposes of things that are vulnerable to fie damage, such as a creature with the cold subtype or a Troll, whose regeneration is engaged by fire damage? By RAW Hellfire is not fire in terms of energy damage, but it's also described as behaving like fire and burning hotter than natural fire.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Hellfire Warlock Questions

First clause: Probably nothing. It is kind of weird that Hellfire Warlock essentially tanks itself if you suddenly gain a specific immunity. There probably should be some clause for still paying a price even if you can't/don't take Con damage.

Second: Being immune to Con damage is in general a very powerful ability. On the flip side a feat that negates a single disadvantage from a decent class feature would be (almost) under-powered pre-epic. A simple feat the requires something like Hellfire Blast +6d6 and lets you ignore the Con damage would probably be fairly balanced due to feats being an extremely valuable resource.

Third: I don't think so. The fact it ignores Fire immunity is a trade of in exchange for not dealing extra damage against those who are weak to fire.

Fourth: (wait what) It is worth mentioning that in Neverwinter Nights 2 there are ways to gain immunity to ability/Con damage and you can use them at the same time as a Hellfire Blast. It really isn't that overpowered at all, infact I would say Hellfire Warlocks that have to pay for their bonus damage are practically useless.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

1: IIRC you can suppress your immunities and as such I don't see the need to change the warlock ability. You can already do what you intent to do here.

2: There are options to do this.
    Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest (feat) is the most common and easy to get. It counters the CON dmg on attacks (! doesn't work with AoE blast shapes, nor with Hellfire Shield, since those don't require an attack roll !). I consider it as high optimization. Not OP/gamebreaking, but high optimization. So take this option only if dmg optimization is fine at your table. My Hellfire Glaivelock does use this (see signature) and has an extended explanation if you are interested.

3: By RAW as you said it, it's not fire. RAI you could argue that it's supposed to be an upgraded version of fire. Balance wise it won't break the game (unless you have problems with dmg optimization at your table).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to note that it seems funny that channeling negative energy is/can be an Evil act but channeling literal hellfire is not.

From an RP perspective it feels like there should be SOME price for hellfire, ‘cos that’s what devils do. If nothing else, if immunity (homebrew-feat-powered or otherwise) actually works and you can get “hellfire for free,” at the very least I’d think it would (at least eventually, the more it’s used) attract attention from Mephistopheles’ chain of command. —Note that this could be more of an adventure hook opportunity than a penalty per se, but would play more into the flavor as described.

In terms of making the hellfire blast count as actual fire when you want it to, it might seem reasonable to me to let the prereq brimstone blast essence be applied to hellfire blasts? (The wording is a little strange, does hellfire actually count as a blast essence, and if not, can you apply a blast essence to hellfire blasts normally?)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    a feat that negates a single disadvantage from a decent class feature would be (almost) under-powered pre-epic.
    Natural spell would like a word.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    First: What breaks if we edit this clause out of the Hellfire Blast and Hellfire Shield powers?You still take the con damage, but you don't lose the ability if you become immune to the con damage or lose your con score.
    The entire concept of having to pay for the benefit you're getting. Being able to ignore your own immunity is what I would normally have expected, but getting it for free if you have no con score just means its free.
    Second: Would a specific feat, possibly an epic feat and/or one with steep prerequisites, that makes you immune specifically to con damage from hellfire warlock class features, with the note that this does not prevent you from using it, be overpowered, underpowered, or just eh(this is assuming that the above clause has not been removed.)
    Depends on what level you consider powered. Char-op seems to assume that the cost is always offset or negligible anyway, so from that perspective it's just a convenience feat. I find the feature obviously overpowered to begin with (because it is so easily gamed around), and so I would find a feat that ignores it without fail just as overpowered.
    Third: More of an opinion, since I'm kind of confused on RAW vs RAI: Would you allow Hellfire to count as Fire for the purposes of things that are vulnerable to fie damage, such as a creature with the cold subtype or a Troll, whose regeneration is engaged by fire damage? By RAW Hellfire is not fire in terms of energy damage, but it's also described as behaving like fire and burning hotter than natural fire.
    Nope. The books have a clear habit of making stuff that ignores energy resistances also ignore vulnerabilities, so unless it was already specifically worded to work that way, there's no reason to buck the trend. It's called Hellfire for fluff purposes and used regarding the Warlock because they build the class with zomg Evil fluff and the book has a bunch of other things that reference Hellfire. You can think of it like real life, where at ridiculous temperatures the question of whether it burns becomes less important than the fact that it's going to vaporize- but since hit points are an abstraction, the actual damage of an effect is just whatever the damage is (and thus clearly the duration and concentration of that "heat" is not enough to actually do much).

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    Fourth: (wait what) It is worth mentioning that in Neverwinter Nights 2 there are ways to gain immunity to ability/Con damage and you can use them at the same time as a Hellfire Blast. It really isn't that overpowered at all, infact I would say Hellfire Warlocks that have to pay for their bonus damage are practically useless.
    The Neverwinter Nights games have always cut corners, changed things, and had gaping loopholes. And when I played, yeah Hellfire Warlock was pretty overpowered. You spend the whole game as a Warlock having a certain amount of reliable but not huge damage, and then suddenly it basically just doubles. Playing without Hellfire Warlock is just fine (you have some gasp, challenging fights!)- and when going into the epic-level DLC, taking Hellfire Warlock means you're massively delayed in taking the flat +1d6 blast damage feats as well as access to the Epic Spell feats.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-04-11 at 09:43 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post

2: There are options to do this.
    Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest (feat) is the most common and easy to get. It counters the CON dmg on attacks (! doesn't work with AoE blast shapes, nor with Hellfire Shield, since those don't require an attack roll !). I consider it as high optimization. Not OP/gamebreaking, but high optimization. So take this option only if dmg optimization is fine at your table. My Hellfire Glaivelock does use this (see signature) and has an extended explanation if you are interested.
    I did try this and my DM shot it down, saying that I have to take the damage for it to work. So I ended up buying a few rods from the MIC that healed ability damage 3 times a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Binding Naberius is another way to deal with it that unambiguously works, but it does mean your Con will effectively be 1-2 points lower than normal when in combat.

Undead Hellfire Warlocks seems pretty thematically fitting, so I'd houserule that you take Charisma damage instead if you don't have a Con score, and that you can voluntarily let the damage through any immunities you have.

For ignoring it entirely - a feat sounds fine balance-wise, although it becomes effectively a feat tax.
    Yes, this boosts damage significantly beyond a standard Warlock, but a standard Warlock's damage is bad unless they're using Eldritch Glaive. I'm halfway inclined to say just ditch the cost entirely, but then this PrC becomes almost mandatory.

In a perfect world, base Warlock should do more damage, Eldritch Glaive shouldn't multiply it, and Hellfire Warlock ... might actually be fine without cost then, as the additional damage wouldn't be as significant. Maybe it should add something different like a burn effect.

Reading this PrC again, I'm unclear about something - does Hellfire count as a blast essence? Because if it does, that's a cost in itself, not being able to use Vitriolic Blast for example.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you can't take Con damage you can't empower your blasts simple as that. Strongheart vest stops you from taking the damage, but also stops you from empowering your blasts.

A homebrew feat or epic feature to avoid the Con damage would be just that: Homebrew, but it would be reasonable IMO.

You can always just take Binder for Naberius, nothing wrong with taking the damage, then healing the damage the next round.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Undead Hellfire Warlocks seems pretty thematically fitting
    I don't know. Fluff wise the fact that your soul has been artificially prevented from entering the afterlife, perhaps indefinitely, might influence the devils' willingness to bargain for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    If you can't take Con damage you can't empower your blasts simple as that.
    That's...not the rule. It's only if you're immune to Con dmg. Strongheart vest doesn't grant immunity, only reduction.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Hellfire blast is not an essence, nor is it halved by eldritch chain secondary targets as it gives itself an exception. It is not an invocation, nor does it declare itself an essence or have an effective spell level.

There are ways of increasing the damage of eldritch blast to be a decent blaster, but warlocks were never designed to be damage dealers. Instead, they gain a very strong benefit in that they can add fairly strong effects to an infinitely castable ability. You can frighten/sicken, blind or light something on fire for major extra damage and some control as they try to put themselves out, lower spell resistance/nauseate/confuse, and eventually hand out negative levels like candy/stun anything not immune to mind affecting.

I think the double penalty for ranged attacks is a little harsh to overcome, but it is doable once you get precise shot. And it's not like the damage is terrible, it's more that damage can be optimized so high that the benefits of a warlock are less obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    I don't know. Fluff wise the fact that your soul has been artificially prevented from entering the afterlife, perhaps indefinitely, might influence the devils' willingness to bargain for it.

That's...not the rule. It's only if you're immune to Con dmg. Strongheart vest doesn't grant immunity, only reduction.
    Immunity isn't a defined term. Due to the reduction, you are indeed immune to constitution damage of 1 or less which is the rule. It prevents you from taking the damage hence immunity. On top of the obvious intent, strongheart vest is a tough sell.
    Last edited by Darg; 2021-04-14 at 03:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Hellfire blast is not an essence, nor is it halved by eldritch chain secondary targets as it gives itself an exception. It is not an invocation, nor does it declare itself an essence or have an effective spell level.

There are ways of increasing the damage of eldritch blast to be a decent blaster, but warlocks were never designed to be damage dealers. Instead, they gain a very strong benefit in that they can add fairly strong effects to an infinitely castable ability. You can frighten/sicken, blind or light something on fire for major extra damage and some control as they try to put themselves out, lower spell resistance/nauseate/confuse, and eventually hand out negative levels like candy/stun anything not immune to mind affecting.
    As Darg said, "Hellfire Blast" despite its name ain't declared as Blast Shape an is instead just another rider ability that can be stacked on top of the entire blast.

Many people ignore the dmg potential that results from this.

The magical keyword here is "Hellfire Vitriolic Blast". Hellfire also affect the damage per round component of Vitriolic Blast. This increases the damage/round component from 2d6 up to 8d6 hellfire.
    And as a glaivelock you can easily stack the damage over time component. As shown with on my glaivelock build, you can manage to get up to 10 (touch) attack/round @ lvl 16 and up to 20 attacks/turn when you hit epic lvls. Each doing ~17d6 initial dmg + the stacking 8d6 damage over time component. I mean, when was the last time you did need dozens of d6 for you dmg rolls? It imho feels more like an optimized Shadowrun character when you do triple digit d6 dmg per turn.

And on a sidenote: clawlock ubercharges have great dmg without relying on hellfire at all. So there are at least a 2 types of "top tier dmg builds" for warlocks available.

As said, warlocks can get decent dmg, but the options are very limited. But compared to many other classes (e.g. Barb, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Paladin..) it's on a fine spot imho.

There is even another cheesy option (another Hellfire combo), but I will reveal that within one of my next showcases on the forum. *grinevil*

Warlocks have a few good dmg options, it's just they are all niche and are build in a very specific way without to many choices to differentiate them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Immunity isn't a defined term.
    It's a clearly understood and used term. For example, undead are immune to physical ability damage. That means they never take that ability damage.

Mitigation or reduction is not immunity. With strongheart vest, you're fully capable of taking Constitution damage. Therefore you aren't immune. This is basic.

You want it to not be allowed, and in play you can always disallow it. But when we read the text we should be clear-eyed about what it says. Understand it, then change it as you see fit.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

The magical keyword here is "Hellfire Vitriolic Blast". Hellfire also affect the damage per round component of Vitriolic Blast. This increases the damage/round component from 2d6 up to 8d6 hellfire.
    Could you explain that for me?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Could you explain that for me?
    "Creatures struck by a vitriolic blast automatically take an extra 2d6 points of acid damage on following rounds."
    "A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level."

The argument is that the vitriolic DOT counts as eldritch blast damage...not sure it works though. That extra 2d6 is phrased as a separate rider effect, nor arguably is it your "normal eldritch blast damage".

Rereading, let me add:
    It prevents you from taking the damage hence immunity.
    If someone has resist fire 10 and takes no damage from a spell that deals 1d8 fire, would you say they're immune to fire? Of course not. And the phrasing here is general -- "if you are immune to Constitution damage, you cannot use this ability." Not 'if you don't take the Constitution damage from this ability', etc. It couldn't be more clear.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Creatures struck by a vitriolic blast automatically take an extra 2d6 points of acid damage on following rounds."
    "A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level."

The argument is that the vitriolic DOT counts as eldritch blast damage...not sure it works though. That extra 2d6 is phrased as a separate rider effect, nor arguably is it your "normal eldritch blast damage".
    Yeah, the "Vitriolic Blast" is a rider effect on Eldritch Blast. Hellfire targets (the entire) Eldritch Blast and as such affects the vitriolic DOT too.

Rereading, let me add:

If someone has resist fire 10 and takes no damage from a spell that deals 1d8 fire, would you say they're immune to fire? Of course not. And the phrasing here is general -- "if you are immune to Constitution damage, you cannot use this ability." Not 'if you don't take the Constitution damage from this ability', etc. It couldn't be more clear.
    yeah, damage reduction (or prevention) doesn't equal Immunity. And Hellfire only disallows Immunities, not prevention/reduction.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Rereading, let me add:

I'm not going to argue because it is simply moot. Strongheart Vest only works on attacks anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by MoI, pg 89
    The strongheart vest protects you from attacks that would reduce your ability scores.
    This line limits the scope of the soulmeld.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not going to argue because it is simply moot. Strongheart Vest only works on attacks anyway:
    That's not true either. Look at the next sentence. It literally says "Any time you would take ability damage, the damage is reduced by one point." The use of the word attack in the earlier sentence functions as fluff because it's not part of the mechanical description of its powers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The strongheart vest protects you from attacks that would reduce your ability scores. Any time you would take ability damage, such as Constitution damage or Strength damage, the amount of the damage is reduced by 1 point, to a minimum of 0.
    "Any time" clearly refers to "attacks" from the previous sentence. Imho Darg is right on this.

But..^^

It doesn't require you to be the target of the "attack". Nor that you get "hit" by an attack. The source (of the ability damage) just needs to be an "attack", that's all it asks for. This works for all Eldritch Blast abilities that require an attack roll: e.g. regular EB, Chain Blast, Glaive,...
    It doesn't work with the AoE shapes nor does it work with the Hellfire Shield (since it auto-hits without an attack roll and thus doesn't count as "attack" in 3.5).

You might now think that binding Naberius would be superior to the Strongheart Vest but that is not the chase. Naberius helps to use it on AoE shapes too, but only helps once per turn.
    Strongheart Vest on the other hand activates on each attack and thus becomes more interesting for those warlocks that have multiple attacks per turn. E.g. Escalation Mage Glaivelock that has up to 10 attacks (20 when epic) per turn. You clearly want the Strongheart Vest here.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Any time" clearly refers to "attacks" from the previous sentence.
    That makes...absolutely no sense. Zero. At least if we're still speaking English.

However it is a pretty funny point that the hellfire blast is indeed an attack that would reduce your ability scores. Cheers on that one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes...absolutely no sense. Zero. At least if we're still speaking English.

However it is a pretty funny point that the hellfire blast is indeed an attack that would reduce your ability scores. Cheers on that one.
    In this case it's pretty straight forward. The first sentence sets up the scope of the effect which is protecting from attacks. The second tells you that any situation where you take ability damage is valid. Because of the first sentence, the second is limited to only situations in which you are attacked. It's actually pretty common english. However, it would have been better if they just removed the word "any" from the books entirely because of it's ambiguous meaning when not further clarified as WotC is wont to do. They like to do this thing where they imply a "one" after the word any just because you can use any without making it "any one" even though leaving it as "any" could also mean "any several or all." Seriously, any is way too ambiguous for use making a structured system.

As for attacks, it is much more broad than just the glossary definition of something requiring an attack roll:

Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. For instance, invisibility is dispelled if you attack anyone or anything while under its effects. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents (such as disarm and bull rush) are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Summon monster I and similar spells are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.
    You aren't attacking yourself with hellfire blast, the con damage is simply a consequence of attacking something else.
    Last edited by Darg; 2021-04-15 at 12:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

What they also do a lot is put a little flavor text and then describe how that's implemented mechanically.

In this case, you have a grammatically independent and self-contained sentence that says "Any time you would take ability damage, the damage is reduced by one point." Play word games as you like, there is no way to construe that as anything but...Any time you would take ability damage, the damage is reduced by one point.

You aren't attacking yourself with hellfire blast, the con damage is simply a consequence of attacking something else.
    But it's an attack and it would reduce your ability score. That satisfies the wording. It's a funny point, admit it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You might now think that binding Naberius would be superior to the Strongheart Vest but that is not the chase. Naberius helps to use it on AoE shapes too, but only helps once per turn.
    Strongheart Vest on the other hand activates on each attack and thus becomes more interesting for those warlocks that have multiple attacks per turn. E.g. Escalation Mage Glaivelock that has up to 10 attacks (20 when epic) per turn. You clearly want the Strongheart Vest here.
    Eldritch Glaive is a single invocation (a full round action) which gives you multiple attack rolls; it doesn't count as using Eldritch Blast multiple separate times. Although if you're also Quickening one, that would be.

Actually, I'd always assumed it was a normal full attack, including attacks from Haste, etc. But now that I'm looking at the wording, it looks like you might only get the attacks from BAB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch Glaive
    If your base attack bonus is +6 or higher, you can (as part of the full-round action) make as many attacks with your eldritch glaive as your base attack bonus allows. For example, a 12th-level warlock could attack twice, once with a base attack bonus of +6, and again with a base attack bonus of +1.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-04-15 at 01:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As for attacks, it is much more broad than just the glossary definition of something requiring an attack roll:

Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. For instance, invisibility is dispelled if you attack anyone or anything while under its effects. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents (such as disarm and bull rush) are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Summon monster I and similar spells are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.
    1) The quote describes the exception for "spells" that reference "attacks" as trigger in their effects like invisibility (which triggers to cancel itself) or "Sanctuary" (triggers a save roll to prevent the "attack").
    Strongheart Vest ain't a spell and as such only follows the general definition of "attack". And that requires some kind of attack roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glossary: Attack
    Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll.
    Attacks require an attack roll. Your quote is an specific exception for spells only that doesn't apply in our situation here (Strongheart Vest feat/ability).
    And Strongheat Vest doesn't require you to be the target of the attack. Nor does it require you to be hit by the attack. As soon as an "attack" causes some kind of ability damage, it activates. It's worded that loosely..

here the same rule with different wording in the "Actions in Combat - Attack" section:
    Attack
    Attack Rolls

An attack roll represents your attempts to strike your opponent.
    The general rules for "Attack" require an attack roll, since it is part of the definition. Spell effect may have exceptions to this (like Invisibility and Sanctuary) .

Eldritch Glaive is a single invocation (a full round action) which gives you multiple attack rolls; it doesn't count as using Eldritch Blast multiple separate times. Although if you're also Quickening one, that would be.

Actually, I'd always assumed it was a normal full attack, including attacks from Haste, etc. But now that I'm looking at the wording, it looks like you might only get the attacks from BAB.
    Yeah Hellfire deals ability damage per Eldritch Blast use and which the entire Eldritch Glaive full attack is. But with quickening Eldritch Glaive you get 2 times per round dmg. And when epic with the feat for double shapes you can use eldritch glaive 4 times in a round. Still in favor for Strongheart Vest unless your go for AoE shapes.

And Eldritch Glaive is a Full Attack. It obeys the general rule for attacks and full attack, since it doesn't call out an exception for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Actions in Combat
    Multiple Attacks

A character who can make more than one attack per round must use the full attack action in order to get more than one attack.
    As soon as you make more than one attack it is a full attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Actions in Combat
    Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.
    Full Attack confirms that it counts for all chases of multiple attacks, despite its source (even special sources). Normally this requires a Full-Round-Action as payment to get the Full Attack. But Eldritch Glaive creates a specific exception since it itself is consuming the Full-Round-Action and gives the Full Attack within its duration.
    Combined with a quickened Glaive (e.g. Escalation Mage), you get 2 Full Attacks. The quickened glaive gets speed up to a swift action duration for the full attack, leaving the rest of the turn for the regular glaive.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

That's the thing though - it doesn't (AFAICT) give a "full attack", it gives a number of attacks based on your BAB, as part of a special full-round action. Unlike some things, it doesn't specifically call out not getting extra attacks, but it doesn't have anything to allow them either.

Full Attack confirms that it counts for all chases of multiple attacks, despite its source (even special sources).
    If that were true, Scorching Ray would take a full-round action. And Landshark Boots wouldn't work. And a bunch of other things.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-04-15 at 03:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

That's the thing though - it doesn't (AFAICT) give a "full attack", it gives a number of attacks based on your BAB, as part of a special full-round action. Unlike some things, it doesn't specifically call out not getting extra attacks, but it doesn't have anything to allow them either.

If that were true, Scorching Ray would take a full-round action.
    Scorching Ray creates a specific exception for itself (similar to Eldritch Glaive) by giving you multiple attacks.
    "Multiple Attacks" is defined as a full attack action (! not full round action). And as said, normally a full attack requires a Full-Round-Action, but Scorching Ray creates a specific exception for itself (by having a standard action activation cost and giving you a Full Attack).
    Scorching Ray counts as a Full Attack, not more, not less. Besides from some kind of special RAW abuse this won't affect your game in 99,99% of your games. Just being/counting as (special) Full Attack doesn't really change anything that I would be aware of.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

All hellfire warlocks are multiclass Binders and best friends with the Vestige Naberius, as he allows for a loophole into the contract that gives them Hellfire.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    All hellfire warlocks are multiclass Binders and best friends with the Vestige Naberius, as he allows for a loophole into the contract that gives them Hellfire.
    This is pretty much my initial thoughts on it. The drawback is somewhat dangerous, the way to mitigate it is relatively easy (as long as you have access to the books). If you put another solution into a feat, what you're doing is changing the tax from a level in Binder, to a feat.

If you're trying to homebrew a fix anyway, how about this: Hellfire Warlock is now a 6-level class. +1d6 extra hellfire each level, to the max of 6d6 at level 6. (I'm sure Mephistopheles would be happy with that number setup). You get immunity to the Con damage at level 6.

So, there are still drawbacks. You still take some damage along the way, and a six-level investment is a lot more significant (3-levels is barely more than a dip). But it's streamlined. You don't have to fiddle around with Binder or arguments about Strongheart Vest.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Scorching Ray counts as a Full Attack, not more, not less. Besides from some kind of special RAW abuse this won't affect your game in 99,99% of your games. Just being/counting as (special) Full Attack doesn't really change anything that I would be aware of.
    Wait, are you saying that Scorching Ray would then get extra attacks from Haste? Because I've never seen that interpretation used.

I'm not really seeing the difference between:
    * Scorching Ray (CL 11): Gives you three attacks regardless of other factors.
    * Eldritch Glaive (BAB 16): Gives you four attacks regardless of other factors.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2021-04-15 at 02:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Wait, are you saying that Scorching Ray would then get extra attacks from Haste? Because I've never seen that interpretation used.

I'm not really seeing the difference between:
    * Scorching Ray (CL 11): Gives you three attacks regardless of other factors.
    * Eldritch Glaive (BAB 16): Gives you four attacks regardless of other factors.
    The difference is that Eldritch Glaive summons some kind of weapon which can be used to attack repeatedly without expanding it.

Scorching Ray on the other hand is limited by the amount of rays conjured. Haste allows for one more attack, but it doesn't conjure any more Scorching Ray for you other then your regular amount from the spell. If the spell would conjure e.g. "a magical bow that shoots Scorching Rays" (like Hank's Bow), Haste would work, but that is not the chase here.

That's what I meant as I said that in most chases it won't change anything..^^