New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spikes

Welcome to the 25th annual MTG thread! Here we talk about the mechanics of the card game, deck building, playing, etc. If you want to talk about MTG color philosophy you can do so here.

On Card Spoilers: Currently as far as I understand most posters here don't mind having the next set of cards spoiled. So we can post them. However if someone request cards to be spoiled we will probably oblige them.

If you want, you can post decks and have them placed here in a list similar to the one below! Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I don't have my Ivory Mask.

Note: This is horribly out of date These are from time immemorial.
    The Deck Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mirrinus' "Norg'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures:
    4 Cloud Sprite
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    4 Pestermite
    3 Thieving Sprite
    3 Latchkey Faerie
    4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
    2 Okiba-Gang Shinobi

Instants:
    4 Mana Leak
    4 Agony Warp
    3 Rend Flesh
    2 Condescend

Lands:
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    7 Swamp
    12 Island

Sideboard:
    2 Mistblade Shinobi
    3 Echoing Truth
    3 Negate
    3 Remove Soul
    4 Peppersmoke

The basic strategy is to play evasive creatures with nice CIP abilities, then bounce them with ninja to replay them again, gaining tons of card advantage. Save the instant counters for things you can't handle, like high cost spells that Spellstutter Sprite can't hit, or board-wiping spells. The deck has lots of disruption and can usually play pretty aggressively. Nearly every spell can potentially 2-for-1 the opponent, giving me control of the game thanks to my strong card advantage. It's a very cheap deck to build due to being made entirely of commons, yet I find that it's still a solid deck to play in other casual formats as well. Its biggest weaknesses appear to be board-sweeping spells and pingers, so my sideboard is built to accomidate either of those threats. Peppersmoke handles most pingers and can decimate casual aggro decks. Remove Soul is also good against aggro, while Negate is for control decks that have been popular lately. Echoing Truth is to stop pauper storm decks based on Empty the Warrens, and the Mistblade Shinobi is for keeping midrange creature decks off balance.

Mirrinus' Pauper Mono White Control
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deck: Sarutabaruta (or just call it Pauper Mono-W Control)
    Format: MTGO Pauper Classic

Creatures
    4 Order of Leitbur
    3 Shade of Trokair
    4 Noble Templar

Instants
    4 Judge Unworthy
    3 Dawn Charm
    3 Holy Light
    4 Fire at Will
    4 Unmake

Sorceries
    1 Cenn's Enlistment

Enchantments
    4 Oblivion Ring
    2 Faith's Fetters

Lands
    20 Plains
    4 Secluded Steppe

Sideboard
    4 Circle of Protection: Red
    1 Circle of Protection: Black
    4 Kami of Ancient Law
    1 Holy Light
    1 Cenn's Enlistment
    4 Relic of Progenitus

(Note: the circles of protection were common when printed in 7th edition, so they're legal for pauper.)

Anyway, I realized that most decks for pauper are creature-heavy, due to the lack of mass removal. So I built a deck designed to crush aggro strategies. I run a wealth of removal spells, some of which can earn card advantage. My creatures are few, but are versatile and are great both early and late game, oftentimes utilizing my excess mana to the fullest. The Kami of Ancient Law in the sideboard is mostly to switch in against creature-light decks as an early beater, or to replace Holy Light against white decks. I figure that if a deck is playing white, it's likely to be playing white enchantment-based removal like Oblivion Ring or Temporal Isolation, so the Kami would be great at keeping my other creatures clear of these answers.

What I'm still considering, though, is the removal suite. I like Fire at Will for its potential for card advantage, particularly against weenie swarms like Slivers. Unmake is also great simply for the lack of the attack/blocker clause. The Dawn Charms are there mostly for versatility, as I can usually think of a good use for it. I'm not sure if I should be maindecking the Holy Lights, though. So far, they've only been useful against pinger decks, Empty the Warrens, and certain elf builds. However, given that Storm may be one of the best pauper builds, Holy Light affords me with my best chance of trumping Empty the Warrens. But most of all, I'm debating Judge Unworthy. On one hand, having 8 removal spells that require attacking/blocking is kind of restrictive; on the other hand, it's my cheapest removal spell, and my only removal option for turn 2. The Scry is oftentimes a toss-up; getting rid of excess land is great, but I've had instances where I needed to draw another land, but can't put a land on top of my deck with Scry if I want to kill a creature. I guess Temporal Isolation is a possible substitute, but it's pretty lousy in the Silvers matchup, which is perhaps the most common deck played in the pauper casual room as of late.

I'm still debating whether Relic of Progenitus should be in the sideboard; perhaps I could use more aggro options to switch in against creature-light decks, even though those tend to be fewer in number for this format.

Mirrinus' Countersliver
    Spoiler
    Show

Deck: Pauper UW Countersliver
    Format: Extended Pauper

Creatures:
    4 Azorius First-wing
    4 Bant Sureblade
    4 Deft Duelist
    4 Ethercaste Knight
    4 Esper Stormblade

Artifacts:
    4 Fieldmist Borderpost

Enchantments:
    4 Temporal Isolation

Instants:
    4 Mana Tithe
    4 Mana Leak
    3 Remove Soul
    3 Hindering Light

Lands:
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    7 Island
    7 Plains

Countersliver is a classic and effective Magic deck archetype that seeks to win by playing a few cheap, efficient threats to take the early game lead, then using permission and light removal elements to prevent the late-game from coming as you press your advantage. The archetype is named after the original version, which played Crystalline Sliver as its flagship creature.

Countersliver is a good example of an effective aggro-control deck. Your creatures are weaker than your opponent's best aggro creatures, and your removal and card advantage suite isn't nearly as strong as a dedicated control player's. What you do have, though, is tempo. You have superior early-game creatures to all but the best aggro decks, and you'll be shaving pieces off your opponent's life very quickly while trying to maintain your board advantage. Countersliver especially likes to prey on slower decks. Compare a Countersliver deck to a normal permission control deck. Against a mid-range deck, both are able to stall for several turns with their counterspells. However, while the permission deck is just buying time to play a big finisher, Countersliver will have a guy in play by turn 2, and attacking the opponent relentlessly while stalling for time. In other words, it has a tangible clock in play, which will likely win before the late-game hits.

Countersliver is normally weak against fast aggro decks with superior creatures. However, my personal build contains a few elements that help that matchup. First is the high number of first-striking creatures. Bant Sureblade and Deft Duelist make formidable blockers, easily dispatching lots of popular aggro creatures with high power but low toughness. Deft Duelist is also impossible to burn out of the way, making it a particularly impressive defender. Of course, both are also rather nasty on offense as well. Another nice card in the aggro matchup is Ethercaste Knight. 3 toughness means it can handle many early-game opposing creatures with ease, and it can lend power to my offense without ever having to tap. My favorite starting plays with this deck involve Esper Stormblade on turn 2, followed by Ethercaste Knight on turn 3 with one land up for Mana Tithe. I get to swing for 4 points of flying starting on turn 3, which can lead to a turn 7 win. With Ethercaste Knight blocking on the ground and a slew of countermagic and removal, I'm likely to win a damage race with just those two creatures.

The key to playing this deck is to not overextend with your creatures, and to keep mana open for counters available as often as possible, even if you aren't actually holding a counter. Exalted lets you finish games quickly without having to play many additional creatures. I prefer my fliers for attacking while keeping the first strikers back for defense to win the damage race against aggro. Of course, if you have a clear creature advantage, by all means attack en masse! Just be sure to have countermagic on hand in case they drop a big creature or removal spell. The good thing about this deck is that practically every single spell costs just 2 mana or less (I don't count the borderposts, as I usually pay their alternate cost), which means by turn 4 you can feasibly drop another threat and still have Mana Leak or Remove Soul ready. The deck desperately wants to hit UW by turn 2 (an opening hand that can't do this should be mulliganed), but with 4 Terramorphic Expanses and 4 Borderposts, that shouldn't be too hard to do, at least in my testing thus far.

If you want a sideboard, I would recommend trying out Steel of the Godhead. Against decks light on removal but heavy on aggro, this card is a total beating that almost ensures victory in the damage race. Just keep in mind that you can't enchant your Azorius First-wings or Deft Duelists. In such a matchups where I'd want Steel of the Godhead, such as against aggressive red decks, I'd probably swap out the griffins for Vedalken Outlander.

Shas'aia Toriia's Orzhov Control
    Spoiler
    Show

Creatures (13)
    4x Divinity of Pride
    4x Graveborn Muse
    2x Shimian Specter
    3x Oriss, Samite Guardian

Artifacts (1)
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow

Instants (4)
    4x Mortify

Planeswalkers (2)
    2x Liliana Vess

Sorceries (16)
    4x Demonic Tutor
    4x Vindicate (substituting in a couple Oblivion Rings until I can afford a playset)
    4x Gerrard's Verdict
    2x Wrath of God
    2x Damnation

Land (24)
    4x Godless Shrine
    4x Fetid Heath
    4x Caves of Koilos
    1x Shizo, Death's Storehouse
    1x Eiganjo Castle
    2x Orzhova, Church of Deals
    3x Flagstones of Trokair
    2x Forbidding Watchtower
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains

To start off with this deck, you want to either strip their hand away with Gerrard's Veridct or search for something good with Demonic Tutor. Once you have Graveborn muse in play, just start accumalating card advantage. If they try to attack, prevent the damage with Oriss, or block with Forbidding Watchtower. Finish off the game with Liliana Vess or Divinity of Pride. Above all, though, don't be afraid to Wrath often. With 4 wrath effects and 6 tutors, you can always get more.

Lastly, there is a soft lock in this deck. See if you can find what it is.

MountainKing's UBR Elemental Shenanigans:
    Spoiler
    Show

Creatures:
    Supreme Exemplar x2
    Mulldrifter x3
    Mournwhelk x3
    Shriekmaw x3
    Spitebellows x3
    Inner-Flame Acolyte x3
    Stingscourger x3

Artifacts:
    Proteus Staff x3
    Cauldron of Souls x3
    Cloudstone Curio x3
    Armillary Sphere x3

Sorceries:
    Heat Shimmer x2

Instants:
    Peel from Reality x2
    Turn to Mist x4

Lands:
    Basic Swamp x6
    Basic Mountain x7
    Basic Island x7

Sideboard (aka the Experiment Pile):
    Thrumming Stone
    Coalition Relic
    Cruel Ultimatum x3
    River Kelpie x2
    Heat Shimmer
    Mana Echoes x2
    Dawn of the Dead
    Tar Fiend x2
    Footbottom Feast x3

The basic premise of the deck is to use the triggered come into play or leaves play effects on creatures, repeatedly, in order to bring about an effective soft lock on the game through denial. This is achieved through taking two keywords abilities (Evoke and Persist)... and breaking them soundly over your knee.

The core of the deck is the interaction between Cauldron of Souls (the only card in the deck that gives creatures Persist) and Elemental creatures with Evoke alternative casting costs. In response to the Evoke's triggered effect, you tap Cauldron of Souls to give the Evoked creature Persist. It leaves play, then returns to play, causing its triggered come into play ability to go on the stack a second time, for no additional mana cost.

Example: If I evoke a Mulldrifter for 2U, when it comes into play, I draw two cards. Since I paid the Evoke cost, the triggered effect goes on the stack. I give it Persist via Cauldron of Souls, and when it comes into play a second time, I draw two more cards.

Example 2: The interaction between Spitebellows and Cauldron of Souls is fundamentally the same, except that the creature's ability triggers when it leaves play, rather than comes into play. However, when Persist brings Spitebellows back into play, it has a zero toughness courtesy of its -1/-1 counter from Persist, sending it cheerfully back to the graveyard a second time, allowing for either 12 damage to be done to one creature, or 6 damage to be done to two separate creatures.

The typical play of the deck leaves it feeling like its ramping a little slowly. Turns 1-5, you'll probably only have played an Armillary Sphere, Cloudstone Curio, Cauldron of Souls, and land. ***NOTE*** This deck likes its mana, and digging up lands with the Armillary Sphere is crucial.

Once turn 6 hits, however, you'll be causing some serious hurt, having surprisingly rapid, effective tools at your disposal during your turn. Mournwhelk empties your opponent's hand, Shriekmaw and Spitebellows tear down your opponent's creatures, while Stingscourger stalls out their creatures. Supreme Exemplar is the only huge beater in the deck, though clearing the opposing board, casting a Spitebellows (not Evoking), and then giving it +2/+0 and Haste via Inner-Flame Acolyte (if not +4/+0) can give you a suitable beater as well. Otherwise, your damage comes from lightweight, evasive creatures like Shriekmaw and Mulldrifter.

This deck isn't especially meant to play against terribly competitive players, but it *can* perform against moderately fast decks. The difference is that it moves slightly slower, and loses out on creatures, because instead of holding on to your Evoke creatures, you'll be playing them in to deal with threats on board. I've got a list of cards that I personally intend to use to tinker with the deck even further, but I'll leave the deck *as is* for the purpose of posting it. I want people to be able to tinker with it, and the deck *does* work well in its current form.

The deck also has a number of specific weaknesses, none of which should be terribly worried about. It's meant to be a fun deck... for you. It won't be fun for them.

Maho-Tsukai's The Black Plague, a deck for multiplayer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deck:
    Lands:
    3x Cabal Coffers
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    20x Swamp

Creatures:
    2x Pestilence Demon
    4x Stuffy Doll
    4x Cemetary Gate
    4x Reassembling Skeleton

Enchantments:
    4x Pestilence
    4x Circle of Affliction

Sorceries/Instants:
    2x Consume Spirit
    4x Diabolic Tutor
    1x Demonic Tutor
    2x Bubbling Muck
    4x Dark Ritual
    1x Culling the Weak

Description:
    This is one deck that will make you absolutely hated in multiplayer. It's a mono-black deck that focuses on using the combination of Pestilence + Circle of Affliction (set to Black) to lock down the game by wiping the board every turn and kill your opponent(s) all at the same time.

This deck acts very similar to the old school W/B decks that pared Pestilence with Circle of Protection: Black and Pro Black creatures like White Knight. However, due to the printing of cards like Reassembling Skeleton, Stuffy Doll and Circle of Affliction white this deck no longer needs white to run properly. Mono Black now has enough cards to emulate the white cards that this kind of deck used to rely on and by using only black you have more mana to pour into your main win condition, pestilence

As for how the deck should be played, it's really a combination of combo and control, leaning heavily towards combo. As stated before, pestilence is your main wincon, as it can burn all players for damage continually. However, to prevent your own death, circle of affliction(set to black) is used in tandem with pestilence, the one life gained offsetting the burn from pestilence, while burning your opponent more in the process. As a result you goal should be to assemble this combo as soon as possible, using your defensively-minded creatures and removal from pestilence itself and twin consume spirits to stall out while you use your various tutors to assemble all the cards you need.

The real beauty of this deck, though, is that pestilence also hits all creatures, meaning that each time you burn your opponent your also wiping his board clean of threats, essentially locking down any deck that tries to win with creatures. However, pestilence dies when you have no creatures, so you have to play creatures that can survive the enchantment. Cemetery Gate has protection from black. Reassembling Skeleton can revive himself after pestilence wipes him off the board. Stuffy Doll is indestructible....and as mentioned before all of them are strong defensive walls that can stall for time if you don't have a pestilence in play.

As for the rest of the cards, most of them are devoted to gaining tons of black mana that can be poured into pestilence. One thing this deck tries to do is maximizing Pestilence by providing lots of ways to gain extra mana to pour into it. Dark Ritual is an old standby that's great for this kind of deck while bubbling muck essentially doubles your mana for a turn. This deck features the infamous all-star of black mana gain, Cabal Coffers which can make ridiculous amounts of mana, and Urborg makes this even more ridiculous. Culling the Weak is like a stronger dark ritual with a drawback....that happens to play well with Reassembling Skeleton.

Consume Spirit provides a "finisher" as well as a way to pad your life from the times you may have had to use pestilence to wipe the board without a circle of affliction to prevent it's self-burn. It can also double as removal in a pinch, too. Also, if you find that you just need something really big and scary to beat face with, Pestilence demon comes ready to serve you, and can double as pestilence #5-6 too.

The main thing you should remember in this deck is that while the combo is nice, you should not be a slave to it. If you have a pestilence in play but no circle you should not be afraid to wipe the board and eat some damage yourself. Losing a bit of life to end the thread of a creature hoard coming your way is a worthwhile trade, and one that could save your life in the long run.

Please include lots of info on how to play the deck so that others can partake in the fun that is whatever deck you have destroyed the Multiverse with or help suggest other cards to increase the awesomeness contained in your 60 (or more) cards.
    This list has been maintained by Squark, tgva, Johnny Blade, Shas, and Duos in the past.
    Also, if anyone wants to drop/update any of these decks, let me know.

Prior MTG Threads (WIP):

previous thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Many-Chandras!
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-04-11 at 10:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

All the C2021 decks have been revealed, and one of the legendaries in the Silverquill one is the lesbian vampire from Rootha's story, so that's cool.

I do feel a little "eh" about not really getting any cards that showcase one of the "Impossibles" mentioned in the Quandrix part of the planeswalker guide... but then how would that even be shown, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Question for you lot. Do you guys know any janky nonsense artifact focused strategies/combos/decks?

Because of quarantine boredom a friend of mine wished to essentially test out nonsense decks against each other for fun with different themes. First theme we chose was artifact, so we’re both trying to see what fun we can make with them.

Doesn’t have to be particularly viable a strategy. The goal is essentially to get each other to laugh.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Question for you lot. Do you guys know any janky nonsense artifact focused strategies/combos/decks?

Because of quarantine boredom a friend of mine wished to essentially test out nonsense decks against each other for fun with different themes. First theme we chose was artifact, so we’re both trying to see what fun we can make with them.

Doesn’t have to be particularly viable a strategy. The goal is essentially to get each other to laugh.
    If you want it competitive and on Arena, while I haven't seen it in forever there is a Paradox Combo Aetherflux Reservoir Storm deck, or there was, and I just lost to an energy deck that used the card that pays 6 energy to look at the top whatever cards and give you a free cast.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5

Has anyone else played any Strixhaven?
    I played a bunch of limited on Arena, weirdly ending up in Black every time. Killian is honestly bonkers if you can keep him alive, and works especially well with learn, because you can turn all of the overpriced kill spells/buffs into underpriced kill spells and buffs.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    I played a bunch of limited on Arena, weirdly ending up in Black every time. Killian is honestly bonkers if you can keep him alive, and works especially well with learn, because you can turn all of the overpriced kill spells/buffs into underpriced kill spells and buffs.
    I’m giving it a go on Arena, onto my second sealed pool atm. Finding building a deck really difficult! Feels difficult to have enough creatures without going three colour...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

7. - Top - End - #7

I have! My first draft was Quandrix, but all focused around Strixhaven Stadium. You would be surprised at how very very good this is.

Then a KillianxDina deck focused on life gain that was also really strong. Dina and Killian were both prime players in that one.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I have! My first draft was Quandrix, but all focused around Strixhaven Stadium. You would be surprised at how very very good this is.

Then a KillianxDina deck focused on life gain that was also really strong. Dina and Killian were both prime players in that one.
    Ah right, I think Magic Arena have an IOS option now for the Mac users? Now that I should have more time for myself, I might check that out!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

How does Strixhaven compare to Kaldheim in terms of limited complexity? Normally, I love drafts, but Kaldheim felt too complex for me. I had a really hard time figuring out what the smart picks were on a consistent basis.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I just had a game where I won at 1 life, and did so with overwhelming excess. I'm not sure how exactly I accomplished both at once, but I did.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I just had a game where I won at 1 life, and did so with overwhelming excess. I'm not sure how exactly I accomplished both at once, but I did.
    Because the only life point that matters is the last one.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Because the only life point that matters is the last one.
    You're not wrong, but it's worryingly easy to lose that last one once its nineteen friends are gone.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Got my first Premiere Draft in, using the token I got from the previous pass. I was going to wait until I understood the set well enough to pick cards intelligently, but couldn't resist jumping in. Ended up with a Witherbloom deck, though I also snagged some rares that were outside that scheme.

Strixhaven Limited feels a little weird though, due to the Mystical Archive. First time drafting a set where some of the best cards aren't actually Standard legal.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

14. - Top - End - #14

So, I saw Raya and the Last Dragon this weekend, and does anyone else feel like it started off as somebody's AU KTK fanfic? They even did the same "the clans are named after parts of a dragon" thing, though they chose different body parts.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Part 5 of the, uh, story has been released. On my phone so linking is a hassle.

Spoiler
    Show
    It does feel a little rushed, and far too short, though I guess important stuff did happen for most of the characters.
    Will and Rowan defeat the Blood Avatar, which is no surprise given the cards, but the story indicates long-term injuries. Will’s leg and Rowan getting side effects from the Snarl.
    Liliana seemingly gives up on resurrection, and teaches under her real name. Though having her teleported out of the final fight was kind of annoying, this was Will and Rowan’s moment so fine.
    Kasmina and Lukka...might as well not have been in the story at all, if I’m being completely frank.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kasmina and Lukka are definitely here in a "lets catch up with the Mystery Lady and the scruffy ******* no one likes but will be important later" sense, yeah. Liliana getting bounce spells out of the conflict is a little annoying, but also hilarious.

Will and Rowan had a great time saving the day, though both got ****ed up, and I like it. Rowan has tasted the power and is left kinda empty without it, and Will lost a leg but we're not dweling on it like it is a bad thing- far from it, it's a sign of his time at school here that it's made of his improved magic and with help from his friends.

also rip Extus, not saving any removal for when his big finisher gets taken over by the red/blue deck. For shame.

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfMonkGuy

Extus is... definitely one of the worst villains we've had in a while. I couldn't name a single thing about him that wouldn't apply to 20 other generic villains. The Blood Avatar, despite being the personification of an entire era of global warfare, may as well have been a T-Rex with what was shown in the story. Liliana's part of the story was good, the twins were alright if also a bit cliched, and Kasmina and Lukka were greatly underutilized. The side stories have been good, though.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-04-21 at 11:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'll be honest I'm glad we had Extus as a villain. I love this college flunk out loser.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Zimone story has been released. It definitely has my interest, and I hope we see more.

Also it seems like the side stories are occurring concurrently with the main story. So the chronological order isn’t immediately clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Extus being alive is a big clue, lol.

Given how her card’s flavour text has her rattling off technobabble like a typical Hollywood genius, I was expecting Zimone herself to be similarly unlikeable.

But the story was...okay. We get an understanding of who Zimone is as a character, what she’s trying to achieve and why.

I don’t quite know what the situation with her grandma is. Maybe she’s suffering from some real world condition that I am unfamiliar with. If I had to guess, Nimiroti has moments of clarity and she uses those opportunities to send her packages.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    The Zimone story has been released. It definitely has my interest, and I hope we see more.

Also it seems like the side stories are occurring concurrently with the main story. So the chronological order isn’t immediately clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Extus being alive is a big clue, lol.

Given how her card’s flavour text has her rattling off technobabble like a typical Hollywood genius, I was expecting Zimone herself to be similarly unlikeable.

But the story was...okay. We get an understanding of who Zimone is as a character, what she’s trying to achieve and why.

I don’t quite know what the situation with her grandma is. Maybe she’s suffering from some real world condition that I am unfamiliar with. If I had to guess, Nimiroti has moments of clarity and she uses those opportunities to send her packages.
    Whether induced due to the strain of the math she solved, or her own brain punching, she very clearly has Alzheimer's Disease.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I decided to buy a set booster box. Sat down with my wife to do an 8-pack Winston draft. Definitely an interesting way to play.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

So I just had an interesting match. My opponent was playing an Abzan angels/graveyard recursion deck, I was playing a Grixis Foretell deck. My opponent gets Elspeth Conquers Death out, I play Tegrid's Lantern. Next turn I top draw Tegrid, and play her. Third lore counter goes on ECD, and opponent brings back Kaya (Kaldheim). Tegrid triggers from ECD being sacrificed. I put it on the battlefield under my control and exile Kaya. My opponent scooped.

So Tegrid is now on my list of soft counters for Sagas.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    So I just had an interesting match. My opponent was playing an Abzan angels/graveyard recursion deck, I was playing a Grixis Foretell deck. My opponent gets Elspeth Conquers Death out, I play Tegrid's Lantern. Next turn I top draw Tegrid, and play her. Third lore counter goes on ECD, and opponent brings back Kaya (Kaldheim). Tegrid triggers from ECD being sacrificed. I put it on the battlefield under my control and exile Kaya. My opponent scooped.

So Tegrid is now on my list of soft counters for Sagas.
    Te grid is cancer lol! She’s the reason I want 10 copies of Homewards Path... and it only work for creatures sigh

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Te grid is cancer lol! She’s the reason I want 10 copies of Homewards Path... and it only work for creatures sigh
    What format is this?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

What format is this?
    One for each Commander deck I have. Not in the same deck lol

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Whenever I play a forest then an island (or vis versa) on my first two turns, people tend to concede, presumably because they don't know I'm playing 4-color jank.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm building Birgi Storm, using Grinning Ignus as well as Cloudstone Kobold and the 0-drop Kobolds. Any other good recommendations for jacking my storm count up?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    One for each Commander deck I have. Not in the same deck lol
    So, presumably this means that someone in your group always brings a Tergrid deck. If so, while not a perfect or permanent solution, you can always go with the solution of bringing a Trostani Discordant deck for yourself.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

So, presumably this means that someone in your group always brings a Tergrid deck. If so, while not a perfect or permanent solution, you can always go with the solution of bringing a Trostani Discordant deck for yourself.
    Nah but stealing creatures is a recurrent thing. Thanks for reminding me of that card however... I’m considering making a Jared true heir deck thematic deck with beautiful girls/cards inside and this fit the bill lol

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

By the gods Strixhaven Limited is a handful. I am by no means experienced with it, but I have had two 7 win runs on MTGA on previous sets. My two runs this time were 2-3 and 1-3. Between Mystical Archive bombs from enemies and my cantrips not doing enough most of my decks suffered from either bad mana fixing or an anemic top end.

But it's mostly Magecraft I cannot get my head around in that format. Timing was way off the few times I played my creatures for tempo. I feel too hasty when playing for tempo, and too greedy when the stuff sits in my hand while my opponent mashes my face in.
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-04-28 at 10:54 PM.