New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

I’ll cop to the possibility I misread his intentions, but GG is generally expressed at the end of a game in Arena, not the start. And given the other evidence - Blue-Green deck, Teferi avatar - I’m willing to bet he/she was more of a Seto Kaiba than a Joey Wheeler/Katsuya Jonouchi.

Also, just to be clear, I’m not claiming to be a great player or even a good player. I’m just making a point about the dangers of overconfidence.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-11-30 at 08:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Last I checked, admittedly this was a while ago, there wasn't a "good luck" emote and good game was as close as you could get.
    "Hello" seems much closer, to me.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

They did hit the Hello emote before Good Game. Didn’t think that was relevant, but maybe it was.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-11-30 at 09:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    “Good game,” my opponent with the Teferi avatar says in the opening turn, as though the game were already over. And indeed, perhaps he has the deck to back up that confidence, we're not far into the game, and he has a couple of 7/7 and 8/8 beatsticks summoned, along with with Saryth the Viper’s Fang; Kohma, World Serpent; Wrenn and Seven and another planeswalker whose name escapes me.

But I’m playing Red/Green Werewolves and I have a crapload of them out thanks to Howlpack Piper. (A must-have for werewolf decks, BTW.) Then I cast Ill-Tempered Loner, give it Haste thanks to Reckless Stormseeker, and his giant wall of monsters turns into a liability as I attack with everyone and transfer all the damage his monsters deal my wolves into direct damage aimed at his head. He gets brought down to -1 life and I hit the "Good game" emote just before the game ends.

That, my friends, is a lesson in hubris.
    What’s your werewolf deck list if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m having trouble picking my finisher. I keep flopping between Huntmaster, Loner, and Caretaker. I’ve been using huntmaster for getting a solid 3 bodies after a wipe. But I’ve been seeing fewer boardwipes that aren’t meathook massacre recently.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Keep in mind I'm playing Arena and I need some Enchantment removal to contend with the plethora of Lifegain decks and their 1.5 million Cleric Class spells. Also, I just started playing Arena a month or two ago, so don’t give me grief for not having four copies of Sarulf, World Eater or whatever.

End the Festivities x2 (good for removing those pesky Halfling Innkeepers)
    Cathartic Pyre x2
    Outland Liberator x2
    Return to Nature x2
    Sporeback Wolf x2
    Kessig Naturalist x4
    Unnatural Moonrise x2
    Electric Revelation x2
    Moonrager's Slash x2
    Reckless Stormseeker x2
    Howl of the Hunt x2
    Dire-Strain Rampage x1
    Tovolar, Dire Overlord x2
    Ill-Tempered Loner x1
    Hookhand ravager x2
    Howlpack Piper x2 (wonderful card)
    Child of the Pack x2
    Wolfkin Outcast x2
    Tovolar's Huntmaster x1
    Mountain x11
    Forest x11
    Rockfall Vale x3

A typical game usually involves putting out Kessig Naturalist on Turn 2 which usually gives me the mana to cast Hookhand Ravager or Child of the Pack by Turn 3 (assuming I don't have a Tovolar in hand - he really needs to get out as soon as possible, circumstances permitting).

Child of the Pack may not seem great, but you can use her ability to summon a wolf on Turn 4, and since you haven't cast any spells, it becomes night. Howlpack Piper also works this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I’m having trouble picking my finisher. I keep flopping between Huntmaster, Loner, and Caretaker. I’ve been using huntmaster for getting a solid 3 bodies after a wipe. But I’ve been seeing fewer boardwipes that aren’t meathook massacre recently.
    Tovolar's Huntmaster is a great card but I always seem to lose him to removal. I don't have Avabruck Caretaker but I hear she's an absolute beast; I would go with her.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-11-30 at 11:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

They did hit the Hello emote before Good Game. Didn’t think that was relevant, but maybe it was.
    I would definitely read that as them wishing you a good game rather than getting on a my knickers in a twist thinking they were trying to be disrespectful.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

For anyone here who enjoys drafting, do you think it is worth putting Halana and Alena, Partners into an Orzhov Lifegain shell? I've got an Honored Heirloom and an Evolving Wilds to help fix my mana if I do. Only one Training creature, but Halana and Alena seem to be super good in limited.

Alternatively, I could splash in a Markov Waltzer instead. Without H&A or the waltzer, I have one flier and two sorceries to deal with my opponent's fliers. I did manage to assemble the Bride's Gown & Groom's Finery combo though.
    Last edited by RayGallade; 2021-12-04 at 05:37 PM.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    For anyone here who enjoys drafting, do you think it is worth putting Halana and Alena, Partners into an Orzhov Lifegain shell? I've got an Honored Heirloom and an Evolving Wilds to help fix my mana if I do. Only one Training creature, but Halana and Alena seem to be super good in limited.

Alternatively, I could splash in a Markov Waltzer instead. Without H&A or the waltzer, I have one flier and two sorceries to deal with my opponent's fliers. I did manage to assemble the Bride's Gown & Groom's Finery combo though.
    Probably a little late, but I can't see a double off colour splash ever being worth it. I'd even be hesitant on the waltzer. By way of comparison, yesterday I had a GW deck where I initially tried splashing Dorothea, Vengeful Victim (so needing a single blue mana) off an evolving wilds and three Islands. I somehow ended up with a couple of games where I drew 2 Islands before drawing any of one of my main colours, and never saw Dorothea. After that I went pure GW, and ended up 6-3 on the Arena draft.

Obviously, these are likely exceptional draws, but with a double off colour splash you have a very high chance of finding yourself with the mana to play Haland and Alena, not having them in hand, and not being able to play the BW cards you do have!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Any parrticular reason for this apparent 180 in moral outlook?
    Its a return to a more natural state for me. When I was younger, I was more prone to help others more than myself, but having a disability, I was never valued by others. I had to compensate by becoming mean and scary and getting my needs met in unorthodox ways. Now that I've gotten into a more settled position though, I have started a movement to prevent others suffering as I have suffered, and I already have some followers.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

We've got our first Neon Dynasty stuff! A teaser video and a story that's the background of Kaito, our new ninja planeswalker. I absolutely love the aesthetic of this set already; they did a good job making it cyberpunk, but still recognizably Kamigawa, especially in some of the pictures from the story.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    We've got our first Neon Dynasty stuff! A teaser video and a story that's the background of Kaito, our new ninja planeswalker. I absolutely love the aesthetic of this set already; they did a good job making it cyberpunk, but still recognizably Kamigawa, especially in some of the pictures from the story.
    I saw a few spoilers and Im still wary. Im sure that visually, there is going to be some awesome cards... but they dont the fantasy overral theme of MTG. Sure there was some steampunk things before but I dont think we ever had so much cyberpunk...

But Im still somewhat excited.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Colossus in the Playground

Kaito is gay as **** and I love him so much. Bad hair cut imho but super adorkable.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I saw a few spoilers and Im still wary. Im sure that visually, there is going to be some awesome cards... but they dont the fantasy overral theme of MTG. Sure there was some steampunk things before but I dont think we ever had so much cyberpunk...

But Im still somewhat excited.
    Mostly with Emmerlaus here. Don't particularly care much about cyber-techno punk aesthetics. And having the teaser focus on someone with a cyber raccoon mask really doesn't do much for me.

But maybe some of the cards will be fun.

14. - Top - End - #434

If it helps at all, the guy with the raccoon mask is Kaito, our protagonist for the set, and the mask is a kami familiar that has bonded with a prototype origami drone made by his potential boyfriend for the express purpose of bonding kami and machine. Which means it can turn into an actual raccoon, and likely other things, like a cool animal companion.

Also, the plane isn't 100% neon cyberpunk aesthetic. There's more to it than just that, and I think you'll be able to learn to love, or at least tolerate, the glow.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-12-17 at 07:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If it helps at all, the guy with the raccoon mask is Kaito, our protagonist for the set, and the mask is a kami familiar that has bonded with a prototype origami drone made by his potential boyfriend for the express purpose of bonding kami and machine. Which means it can turn into an actual raccoon, and likely other things, like a cool animal companion.

Also, the plane isn't 100% neon cyberpunk aesthetic. There's more to it than just that, and I think you'll be able to learn to love, or at least tolerate, the glow.
    I tolerate it now. It’s just not my thing. And that’s fine. I just got my werewolves, and before that I had my knights. It’s not like I need to be in love with every set.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

I tolerate it now. It’s just not my thing. And that’s fine. I just got my werewolves, and before that I had my knights. It’s not like I need to be in love with every set.
    *Makes a set with WG Werewolf Knights.* And this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    *Makes a set with WG Werewolf Knights.* And this?
    Ah, the Powerwolf set. I'm in for this.

Venom of Venus intensifies

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Ah, the Powerwolf set. I'm in for this.

Venom of Venus intensifies
    Why not wereknights?
    Humans by day, knights by night.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

I love top-down designed sets, and I hope NEO is one of those. Naturally with that comes horrible balancing (I loved ELD, but I see what it did to the meta), but it feels so much more "vorthos-y" this way. (Just PLEASE, less parasitic gameplay ala Adventures)

As for the cyberpunk aesthetic, I hope they can do the balancing act between modernity and still having the set being "somewhat" feeling like Magic. But honestly, after Godzilla promo, Stranger Things and even a LotR secret lair, I can't see anything really jarring with the mixture of themes. After all, Magic unites Steampunk, Magepunk, classic fantasy, grim fairy tales, Asian folklore, Russian, Mongolian and other history with magic and absolutely bonkers insane stories and ideas.

Sure, let me have cyborg as a creature type, or make the graveyard a computer recycling bin. I don't care.
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-01-10 at 12:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    (Just PLEASE, less parasitic gameplay ala Adventures)
    Wait how are adventures parasitic? You can add a card with adventure to any deck and it’s perfectly functional.

Edit: you meant Adventures into the Forgotten Realms didn’t you? One somewhat parasitic mechanic per set seems the norm nowadays (Mutuate, Learn, Venture)
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2022-01-10 at 05:00 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #441

The final Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty story is up and!

B o y.

I'll have a better... run down of what all happens later, since I'm still getting through Innistrad due to various personal reasons delaying me from reading, but here are the relevant things.

Spoiler: Nothing bad happens : )
    Show
    1: Jin-Gitaxis shows up
    2: The Wanderer is the Emperor of Kamigawa
    3: Tamiyo gets dragged to New Phyrexia by Tezzeret, and thanks to some tech from Kamigawa is NOW A PLANESWALKER PHYREXIAN WHO KEPT HER SPARK ALSO JIN-GITAXIS HAS ALL HER IRON SCROLLS WHICH WE KNOW ARE VERY VERY BAD NEWS.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Lot of black tears being shed for Tamiyo today.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lot of black tears being shed for Tamiyo today.
    My favorite planeswalker...

(I mean, it's actually a really cool idea, and I hope they'll execute on it well, but that was a bit hard to see in the spoilers)

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Not reading the story, since most of it wont be used again for the next set. Maybe they are trying something for the long run though. The green one was in Kadlheim to become a god, now this one transformed a planeswalker and steal her dangerous scrolls... I wonder if the red one will be given a big power boost eventually. That would be fitting for the incoming mafia set.

In any case, from the things spoilers so far, my favorite has to be Greater Tanuki. Perfect for my Alta Palani deck. Otherwise, I still like the Atsushi dragon and the mythic white planeswalker Empress (I know they put Emperor but thats a girl. Bite me.) bbut those last two probably going to be on the costly side so I wont buy them if its the case.

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    My favorite planeswalker...

(I mean, it's actually a really cool idea, and I hope they'll execute on it well, but that was a bit hard to see in the spoilers)
    A clearer look at the card is here.

It honestly looks excellent, and that keyword makes it clear we're seeing this again.

Not reading the story, since most of it wont be used again for the next set. Maybe they are trying something for the long run though. The green one was in Kadlheim to become a god, now this one transformed a planeswalker and steal her dangerous scrolls... I wonder if the red one will be given a big power boost eventually. That would be fitting for the incoming mafia set.

In any case, from the things spoilers so far, my favorite has to be Greater Tanuki. Perfect for my Alta Palani deck. Otherwise, I still like the Atsushi dragon and the mythic white planeswalker Empress (I know they put Emperor but thats a girl. Bite me.) bbut those last two probably going to be on the costly side so I wont buy them if its the case.
    Not sure what you mean by that, since a lot of what has shown up in stories recently has had importance throughout all of it. We learn the Wanderer's identity as the Emperor (which is not a gendered term, so use the one they gave her. Chomp.) and she's likely to be a principle character given her revenge seeking against Tezzeret. The Reality Chip Tezzy boy steals is certainly to be important to.

Vorenclex stole the Elixer from Kaldheim, but likely not for himself but for Elesh Norn. My best guess is Norn is planning on rising herself up to Phyrexian God status as the Mother of Machines. Last we saw of Urabrask (the red one) he was seemingly killed for defiance against the rest of the Praetors, so we're either getting a new red praetor or Urabrask will show up to help fight back.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Compleated is an interesting mechanic, but I'm going to have to see more of it before I evaluate. Phyrexian mana was cracked in half on the good cards, but Phyrexian mana with a drawback of you pay the reduced cost is interesting design space. The problem is that you have to get something that's reasonable on both mana values.

This Tamiyo for instance looks mostly playable at 4 mana, Ajani Vengeant was decent for example, but at 5 mana with 3 colored pips Tamiyo looks a lot less interesting unless the new standard environment is incredibly slow. The flexibility makes it a little more complicated, but I honestly don't think the 5 mana version is good.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im glad we have a "turtle Ninja" subtype. I'll need to buy a few for my decks lol

And Emperer is a gendered term. The female gender for Emperor is Empress. It's a outdated term but there is one for male and another for female, just like King and Queen. It's from another time in history and we should just accept it as it is (unless of course its stated anywhere that The Wandering Emperor/Empress specifically tell us it identify as male). But let's agree to disagree I guess.

28. - Top - End - #448

Im glad we have a "turtle Ninja" subtype. I'll need to buy a few for my decks lol

And Emperer is a gendered term. The female gender for Emperor is Empress. It's a outdated term but there is one for male and another for female, just like King and Queen. It's from another time in history and we should just accept it as it is (unless of course its stated anywhere that The Wandering Emperor/Empress specifically tell us it identify as male). But let's agree to disagree I guess.
    Emperor is explicitly a non gendered term. There's been female kings in real life too. This isn't me trying to make it "woke" or anything, it is literally the description of the word.

Additionally, since this set is based in a Japan inspired setting, it should follow those rules... where, again, Emperor is not a gendered term.

And, even if it WAS; in Kamigawa it's not a gendered term, by the actual text. So yeah.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-01-28 at 12:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Emperor is explicitly a non gendered term. There's been female kings in real life too. This isn't me trying to make it "woke" or anything, it is literally the description of the word.

Additionally, since this set is based in a Japan inspired setting, it should follow those rules... where, again, Emperor is not a gendered term.

And, even if it WAS; in Kamigawa it's not a gendered term, by the actual text. So yeah.
    Sort of. So Emperor comes from Imperator which was very gendered. And to my knowledge it’s shifting use throughout Europe remained gendered while there were emperors in actual power. With figures like Maria Theresa explicitly not getting the male Emperor title, because of her gender and that leading to a whole bag of problems.

But in China and Japan, my understanding is their term for Emperor was also gendered, but that did not stop females from taking the male gendered title for themselves. There were several explicitly female “emperors.” Or more accurately Huangdi. That western authors just call emperors.

Please correct me if I made a mistake there.

30. - Top - End - #450

Sort of. So Emperor comes from Imperator which was very gendered. And to my knowledge it’s shifting use throughout Europe remained gendered while there were emperors in actual power. With figures like Maria Theresa explicitly not getting the male Emperor title, because of her gender and that leading to a whole bag of problems.

But in China and Japan, my understanding is their term for Emperor was also gendered, but that did not stop females from taking the male gendered title for themselves. There were several explicitly female “emperors.” Or more accurately Huangdi. That western authors just call emperors.

Please correct me if I made a mistake there.
    The information I've read is that the Chinese and Japanese titles were non gendered, but otherwise this all tracks. Imperator may be gendered, but the actual word Emperor just means "a monarch, and usually the sovereign ruler of an empire or another type of imperial realm" and the fact that we've mostly had male Emperors is not because "it is gendered" but because "that's just what history is like yo". The female Emperors (and Kings) put paid to the idea as well. It's an argument with no point because it's already decided. One; these terms aren't gendered. Two; no one cares, just call the character what she is called. Call her The Wanderer if you want to be disrespectful.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-01-28 at 04:40 PM.