New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Jace suffered for god knows how long on Useless Island, with basically nothing to eat, plagued by trauma flashbacks he didn't understand. He's absolutely suffered. And hey, his romance stuff is good! To each their own of course.
    To be fair, he suffered... and then became a cool pirate and entered into what was probably the first healthy relationship he's ever been in.

I'm honestly in the boat where Tamiyo was shocking but Ajani was... meh. Like, don't get me wrong — I like the handsome lion man as much as the next person. I just feel like the current Phyrexia arc is moving way too fast.

Like, over the course of the last four story sets:

• Vorinclex gets chucked through the Planar Bridge, almost dies, and gets a sample of the World Tree.
    • Jin Gitaxias gets through the Planar Bridge without dying (because he's ALL MACHINE), meets up with Tezzeret, and they both figure out how to use the Reality Chip to compleat Tamiyo.
    • Urabrask wants to meet up with Elspeth to basically let her know that stuff is about to get real.
    • FULL SCALE INVASION OF DOMINARIA. THEY'VE APPARENTLY PERFECTED TO THE PLANESWALKER COMPLEATION PROCESS, CAN COMPLEAT PEOPLE INTO SLEEPERS, AND-

I think part of my problem is that the current arc feels very forced. If you had asked me about what a modern Phyrexia story line before Kaldheim came out, I would have probably gone with a plane-hopping story where a bunch of planeswalkers (probably lead by a now-alive Elspeth, because why not?) traveled from plane to plane, cleaning up the infestations of Phyrexians left behind from when Karn was dripping the Oil everywhere he went. Maybe partway through you'd get the "oh no, the fan favorite praetors have figured out the planar bridge!" moment, but mostly use it as an excuse to introduce some new planes.

Heck, I thought they were going to go for an "oh no, now we have to stop Tamiyo (and maybe some other compleated planeswalkers) from running around and seeding places with the Phyrexian oil!", not... whatever this arc is.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    To be fair, he suffered... and then became a cool pirate and entered into what was probably the first healthy relationship he's ever been in.

I'm honestly in the boat where Tamiyo was shocking but Ajani was... meh. Like, don't get me wrong — I like the handsome lion man as much as the next person. I just feel like the current Phyrexia arc is moving way too fast.

• Vorinclex gets chucked through the Planar Bridge, almost dies, and gets a sample of the World Tree.
    • Jin Gitaxias gets through the Planar Bridge without dying (because he's ALL MACHINE), meets up with Tezzeret, and they both figure out how to use the Reality Chip to compleat Tamiyo.
    • Urabrask wants to meet up with Elspeth to basically let her know that stuff is about to get real.
    • FULL SCALE INVASION OF DOMINARIA. THEY'VE APPARENTLY PERFECTED TO THE PLANESWALKER COMPLEATION PROCESS, CAN COMPLEAT PEOPLE INTO SLEEPERS, AND-

I think part of my problem is that the current arc feels very forced. If you had asked me about what a modern Phyrexia story line before Kaldheim came out, I would have probably gone with a plane-hopping story where a bunch of planeswalkers (probably lead by a now-alive Elspeth, because why not?) traveled from plane to plane, cleaning up the infestations of Phyrexians left behind from when Karn was dripping the Oil everywhere he went. Maybe partway through you'd get the "oh no, the fan favorite praetors have figured out the planar bridge!" moment, but mostly use it as an excuse to introduce some new planes.

Heck, I thought they were going to go for an "oh no, now we have to stop Tamiyo (and maybe some other compleated planeswalkers) from running around and seeding places with the Phyrexian oil!", not... whatever this arc is.
    Maybe it is about how sneaky pyrexians were: they were sneaky enough to set up quietly all those things and people realise at the last moment, to make readers feel how surprising it is for all the characters they make it appear sudden even if it took quite some time.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually really like this arc. Like, at first they implied that Vorinclex was merely retrieving the World Tree elixir to make Elesh Norn into a god, but the latest story implies that they have other uses in mind for it.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Colossus in the Playground

If it helps, part of why Sheoldred was able to be so effective in Dominaria is because there's a ton of Phyrexian cults on the plane already. She just showed up and gave everyone the extra special touch of "One of the real ones", for lack of a better term. She gave them the energy and focus to do what they've always wanted to do. You can probably think of some examples (and I was gonna make one) but realized against it since I didn't want to evoke the imagery.

I do agree it's moving a little fast, but I don't think it is forced necessarily. And it's not that fast, to me. I think the glut of information that comes with them announcing every set for next year has made it feel way quicker and forced, is part of the issue- we already know when this arc will END, and it really only just begun it feels like, due to Sheoldred's actions.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Like, over the course of the last four story sets
    6 story sets, just because Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow was filler doesn’t mean it didn’t happen :P
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #666
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    6 story sets, just because Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow was filler doesn’t mean it didn’t happen :P
    Seven. Strixhaven happened between Kaldheim and Midnight Hunt
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

I expect Unfinity will have a card named something along the lines of "Vorthos, Lore Enthusiast" who will be mono-red.

EDIT: Called it! "Steward of Myth" is much cooler than my attempt at a name, so that's neat.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-09-20 at 12:19 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I expect Unfinity will have a card named something along the lines of "Vorthos, Lore Enthusiast" who will be mono-red.
    I guess it will have cool abilities then cost redredredredredred and nobody will use it because nobody wants a card that needs 6 mana all specifically red: it reduces the ability to use it with multicolour decks massively.
    Many pure red decks are about beating the opponent by turn 3 with damage so they will also not want a card like that.
    Last edited by noob; 2022-09-19 at 01:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Or a mono-white Melvin card?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

10. - Top - End - #670

Well there is a Vorthos card, and unlike all of you grumpy gooses guessed, it's actually quite good.

1R for a 1/3 human gamer. When ETB, choose a named MAGIC character. Each spell you cast with the named character in the art, card name, or flavour text costs WUBRG less to cast.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-09-20 at 12:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Well there is a Vorthos card
    Like I said: called it!
    and unlike all of you grumpy gooses guessed, it's actually quite good.
    "All you grumpy gooses" meaning "just noob, because nobody else guessed anything other than color"
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-09-20 at 11:10 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Well there is a Vorthos card, and unlike all of you grumpy gooses guessed, it's actually quite good.

1R for a 1/3 human gamer. When ETB, choose a named MAGIC character. Each spell you cast with the named character in the art, card name, or flavour text costs WUBRG less to cast.
    Bad synergy with Chandra Tribal!

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Bad synergy with Chandra Tribal!
    Que? Seems better than Chandra's Embercat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Que? Seems better than Chandra's Embercat.
    Chandra usually only gets reduced by [R] then. :P

Embercat is cuter, though the true MVP of such decks is of course Chandra's Regulator

Cue discussions whether only having a regulator counts as "Chandra" in her artwork.
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-10-03 at 04:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Cue discussions whether only having a regulator counts as "Chandra" in her artwork.
    It doesn't matter. She's in the name, so it applies.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The question is, do Chandra cards get reduced if you name Jaya due to the goggles?
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #677

The question is, do Chandra cards get reduced if you name Jaya due to the goggles?
    1: The goggles are not Jaya
    2: Jaya gave Chandra the goggles, they are Chandra's goggles now

So doubly no.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I’m not normally someone who has much patience for price complaints, but $999 for 4 packs is obscene. I guess it’s not really supposed to be a draftable product, given it is basically a reprint of Beta, but with that being the case I would want more guarantees over the pulls, e.g. ‘each pack will contain 1 of the power 9, one dual land, two other rares, 4 uncommons, 4 commons, 1 retro land, 1 normal land, and 1 additional retro frame card.’ As is, it feels very likely that a lot of sets of 4 will have nothing of significant interest.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Also, they're all proxies so they have essentially no value to begin with.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also also, they made a collector’s edition years ago that was every single card in beta and 60 lands for 50 bucks years ago.
    They don’t care about their fans anymore.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, this is some top-tier nonsense.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

I have seen this type of product before and it does not fare well ON PURPOSE. For one you get to divide the fanbase. Ones that go: "Oh, it's not that bad." One that go: "You'Re just mad because you cannot afford it." and the majority of: "This is silly and dumb."

And then you release a more sensible marketed product. Suddenly they all go: "But it is not as bad as the product before." and "The product before was stupid bt that one seems sensible in comparison." I call it the "controlled freakout."

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

I know I'm not supposed to understand this and shouldn't care, but I still can't help dwelling on it:

There's a difference between "[thing] isn't interesting" and "if [thing] is happening, even a little, then nothing interesting is happening" and I don't know how someone could ever seriously claim the latter.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #684

I know I'm not supposed to understand this and shouldn't care, but I still can't help dwelling on it:

There's a difference between "[thing] isn't interesting" and "if [thing] is happening, even a little, then nothing interesting is happening" and I don't know how someone could ever seriously claim the latter.
    Yeah... MtG Grognards are some of the worst.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah... MtG Grognards are some of the worst.
    Google isn't giving a relevant definition for "grognard" unless you're calling me one, which would be fair TBH.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #686

Google isn't giving a relevant definition for "grognard" unless you're calling me one, which would be fair TBH.
    Not calling you one. It's a slang term mostly from the DND community used against people who are like, needlessly complaining about things, especially for people stuck in their ways. Transformers fans would call them Genwunners, cause they only care about Generation One Transformers. I typically use it for the former, lighter term of "people who complain about **** they don't actually care about, for the sake of complaining" which is what a fair number of complaints about MTG product feels like to me.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Not calling you one. It's a slang term mostly from the DND community used against people who are like, needlessly complaining about things, especially for people stuck in their ways. Transformers fans would call them Genwunners, cause they only care about Generation One Transformers. I typically use it for the former, lighter term of "people who complain about **** they don't actually care about, for the sake of complaining" which is what a fair number of complaints about MTG product feels like to me.
    I wasn't referring to complaints about product.

I was referring to statements like "If you countered a spell this game, then by definition nothing interesting has happened all game."
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #688

I wasn't referring to complaints about product.

I was referring to statements like "If you countered a spell this game, then by definition nothing interesting has happened all game."
    Okay fair that's my misread of what you said.

Conflict between the five mana types and how they play is always going to cause some concern and I'm sorry your fun (counter and stax) is so disliked by others even though it's clearly fun for you.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay fair that's my misread of what you said.

Conflict between the five mana types and how they play is always going to cause some concern and I'm sorry your fun (counter and stax) is so disliked by others even though it's clearly fun for you.
    Counterspells aren't something I focus on. I don't even think they're fun, usually. I just don't think they render whole games un-fun by their slightest presence.

Stax isn't my thing either, except that one deck that I don't really use any more because I feel guilty for it. I do technically have stax-adjacent elements prominently featured in my current main deck, but they're not meant to disrupt my opponents' gameplan; rather, they're used to eliminate downsides of my own stuff.

EDIT: I dislike wraths for the same reason I dislike the game ending quickly and being immediately followed by another: afterwards, there's nothing on the board any more, and everything's simple.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-10-17 at 09:33 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #690

The War Between Brothers begins, and with it another season of really well written stories for us to read, enjoy, and then go "could have been better in some ways maybe". The story is split into two branches- the present day stuff, and the past events that Teferi is witnessing. With that said, let us begin... with the end.

Spoiler: BROWAR PAST 1: Starting At The End
    Show
    Episode one: The End! In this one, we follow Kayla of Kroog as she does her best to survive post Sylex Blast. The Ice Age is coming, Tawnos is setting up artifice for her city but clearly running out of desire to exist the way he does now, and those that worship the sun itself are going around slaughtering machines and those who use them. It's genuinely very cool, I've always wanted to see the immediate aftermath of Urza's reckoning, and here we are.

Spoiler: BROWAR PAST 2: Ending At The Beginning
    Show
    Episode two: The Beginning! We continue with Kayle, fresh from the heavy winters, dealing with the fact that Tawnos has killed himself or faked his death. This one is a lot more disjointed than the last, but with good reason; we are getting snippets of her life, and putting truth to the words "The world ended; then we woke up and life continued". I'm sure there's a ton of Ice Age references in this and the last one but I've been slack in my reading of older lore so I just don't know. That said, Kayla learning magic from the Third Path histories is really great, and hearing that Tawnos and Ashnod ABSOLUTELY got together and founded the first Tolarian academy is fun. Nod and Duck are fun new names for the two.

The little time travel specter Teferi leaves at the end, the lovely little story it spawns, and the ending lines of "the story would outlive the lives of those who heard it, but none would survive the ice" is ****ing amazing, as an aside.

Spoiler: BROWAR PART 3: Typical Battlemech Campaign
    Show
    Episode three: Sword One. In this short story, we follow a lance of Avenger pilots who are being sent out with their new sword model Avengers to fight in... the battle of Kroog. The battle where Mishra first shows the full extent of his might and the actual Brother War begins. The mood is ****ing dire, the story dark and bleak, and it truly is exactly how one would expect this story to go, knowing that Kroog dies that day. Genuinely brutal war story, which (along side the last two stories) is nice confirmation that they're not going to be softening any of what happened in this war. It was messy, miserable, and monstrous, from beginning to end.

Teferi's little time specter moment here has the same undercurrent of hope that Kayla's second story had, and I like that. Not yet. This is not yet time.

Spoiler: BROWAR PRESENT 1: Teferi Just Rags On Oldwalkers For Five Pages
    Show
    Chapter 1: Stronghold. In which we begin preparations for the inevitable. Many planeswalkers coming together at Urza's tower, on Teferi's request, all branching out to prepare their planes for the monsters beating at our door, just waiting to get in. Ixalan (no doubt by Saheeli's girlfriend whose name escapes me as I write this), Kaldheim by Kaya's good good friends Beef Largehuge and Niko. Jace is petitioning on Ravnica to get it ready. Chandra is going to Zendikar to see Nissa and get that plane ready and definitely not fulfill everyone's dreams of maybe sparking up their friendship again. Teferi found Wrenn and Seven on the deepest deep cut I've ever seen (the plane mentioned is important to The Cursed Land, the fifth ever MTG book) and she's here to help keep Urza's tower safe.

Adding to that... Viviene and Elspeth are here. Viviene will be going to try and rally Ikoria together. Elspeth is here as our expert on feeling bad and killing the demon machines. We learn from them that Urabrask is 100% going to murderize Elesh Norn and that his revolution is gonna start sooner rather than later, and that he's in communication with the Mirran Resistance within his lands to make it work. We also learn Koth is alive, and in contact with Jace of all people (I choose to believe Tezzeret send Koth to him to get his golden blue boy working harder). Our heroes all kinda dawn on what Elesh Norn's "One Singularity" plan is and how truly awful it'll be...

And then we get this beautiful scene of Teferi venting all his frustration to Wrenn, and then Elspeth. Talking about the truisms that have stuck with the Old Walker stories forever: every old walker, and many characters in general, and almost all who have ties to Urza, are huge ****ing baby children who ****ed up everything on their foolish whims. Urza's plans were only ever wild, crazy luck that caused get ruin regardless of if the risk paid off or not, Teferi was an egotistical tyrant who literally told Urza "**** you got mine" and lorded that small victory over him. The past is full of people who have made horrid mistakes gladly and gleefully... and here he is, rounding the circle of time back to the same moment.

The enemy is still Phyrexia, only this time he's Urza, and hopefully, maybe, we'll find a happy end at the end of this dark tunnel.

It's **** like this that makes me love writing, and love huge, sprawling fictions like MTG. Good ****, good ****.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-10-21 at 11:31 AM.