New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I made this Modern deck and I want to know if I am on to something
    Thats too vague of a question. Modern, in and of itself, is an extremely fast and competitive format, so cute ideas like that aren't viable. However, it all depends on who you'll be playing with.

As a general rule, the more permissive the format, the more broken your deck needs to be, and the sooner you need to lock / finish the game.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

I'm going to swing by and ask, but in the meantime, I made this Modern deck and I want to know if I am on to something with making a flying deck that uses +1/+1 counters:

Spoiler: Enormous Image to make sure people can see
    Show
    Like LansXero said, Modern as played in competitive is a very high-powered format; you have the potential to lose on turn 4 if you're not packing the right stuff. This just wouldn't cut it; you have a bunch of tiny 1/1s and no way to buff them until turn 3 at the earliest. However, there is a deck that does something similar with cheap creatures and buffing them up, called Bogles. Instead of flying, it has hexproof, and it uses Auras instead of +1/+1 counters. If you're not opposed to netdecking, this could be a similar playstyle that's much more viable. Of course, if you're just playing with some friends, a more casual deck is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-05-23 at 05:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Like LansXero said, Modern as played in competitive is a very high-powered format; you have the potential to lose on turn 4 if you're not packing the right stuff. This just wouldn't cut it; you have a bunch of tiny 1/1s and no way to buff them until turn 3 at the earliest. However, there is a deck that does something similar with cheap creatures and buffing them up, called Bogles. Instead of flying, it has hexproof, and it uses Auras instead of +1/+1 counters. If you're not opposed to netdecking, this could be a similar playstyle that's much more viable. Of course, if you're just playing with some friends, a more casual deck is perfectly fine.
    Infect is another potential route if you want to do small cheap creatures and buff them up. I think infect is still played in modern, anyway; the format is generally way too brutal and expensive for me to mess with.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2021-05-23 at 09:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to swing by and ask, but in the meantime, I made this Modern deck and I want to know if I am on to something with making a flying deck that uses +1/+1 counters:

Spoiler: Enormous Image to make sure people can see
    Show
    I will let you know right now, this deck will not work in anything resembling a Modern meta.

Spoiler: mono-red burn
    Show

Creatures
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2x Chandra's incinerator

Spells
    4x Lava Spike
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    4x Skullcrack
    4X Rift Bolt
    2x Searing Blaze

Enchantments
    4x Seal of Fire

Lands
    16x Mountain
    4x Ramunap Ruins

This isn't an especially great version of burn, but can be built for ~$100. I'm not sure what your deck would be able to do about this one simply outrunning you.

If you want to get into Magic for less than $100, try to convince your store to run pauper, or commander. Any of the traditional 60 card formats will be basically impossible to get into cheaply.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    If you want to get into Magic for less than $100, try to convince your store to run pauper, or commander. Any of the traditional 60 card formats will be basically impossible to get into cheaply.
    Commander can be just as expensive if not more than Modern. Its less format, more mindset; either people pay to win or they dont, cant do it with no context, instead of asking the internet he should hit the store and ask the people there what they play.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Commander can be just as expensive if not more than Modern. Its less format, more mindset; either people pay to win or they dont, cant do it with no context, instead of asking the internet he should hit the store and ask the people there what they play.
    True. Should have put the caveat of "depending on the group." When it comes to Commander, because the same problem could exist.

Yeah, pauper is probably your best bet for getting into Magic cheaply.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Yeah, pauper is probably your best bet for getting into Magic cheaply.
    That is, of course, if anybody plays that at his local store. Its not super niche but also not something you can just assume there will be.

Also:

Oubliette (~$20/copy)

Snow-covered island ($25/playset)

Lava Spike ($~12/playset)

Pyroblast (~$12/playset)

Battle screech (~$12/playset)

Standard bearer (~$5/playset)

Muldrifter (~$5/playset)

Moment’s peace ($7.5/playset)

Expedition Map ($10/playset)

Its not going to break the bank, but there are "expensive" thingies here and there

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    That is, of course, if anybody plays that at his local store. Its not super niche but also not something you can just assume there will be.

Also:

Oubliette (~$20/copy)

Snow-covered island ($25/playset)

Lava Spike ($~12/playset)

Pyroblast (~$12/playset)

Battle screech (~$12/playset)

Standard bearer (~$5/playset)

Muldrifter (~$5/playset)

Moment’s peace ($7.5/playset)

Expedition Map ($10/playset)

Its not going to break the bank, but there are "expensive" thingies here and there
    Pauper is relatively cheap at $100 a deck, not absolutely cheap like penny dreadful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Chatterfang-Squirrel-General-Modern-Horizons-2-Spoiler.png

WHY IN GOLGARI COLORS ?!?!

Sigh... Golgari get so much love already!

I would have LOVE a Grull color Legendary squirrel instead. How about every squirrels in play get haste and flying during your turn? To have a army of flying squirrels LOL

Still Im sure this card is going to be popular.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-05-24 at 10:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/modern-horizons-2/

Spoilers for Modern Horizon 2 started today, here's the link!

Emissiary of Serra sound fun!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

I will let you know right now, this deck will not work in anything resembling a Modern meta.

Spoiler: mono-red burn
    Show

Creatures
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
    2x Chandra's incinerator

Spells
    4x Lava Spike
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    4x Skullcrack
    4X Rift Bolt
    2x Searing Blaze

Enchantments
    4x Seal of Fire

Lands
    16x Mountain
    4x Ramunap Ruins

This isn't an especially great version of burn, but can be built for ~$100. I'm not sure what your deck would be able to do about this one simply outrunning you.

Never thought I'd see a playset of Seal of Fire in a Modern deck. It's a Skewer the Critics/ Chandra's Incinerator enabler that works with Swiftspear, yes? Any other tech I'm missing?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Never thought I'd see a playset of Seal of Fire in a Modern deck. It's a Skewer the Critics/ Chandra's Incinerator enabler that works with Swiftspear, yes? Any other tech I'm missing?
    No idea. I was just basing this off of some decks I saw online with the goal of keeping it at about $100. I'm actually not a big fan of burn, but it's an easy deck to build for Modern that you can keep relatively cheap, and you can be a little creative with some of the inclusions.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

No idea. I was just basing this off of some decks I saw online with the goal of keeping it at about $100. I'm actually not a big fan of burn, but it's an easy deck to build for Modern that you can keep relatively cheap, and you can be a little creative with some of the inclusions.
    Oh! I see what it's for.

Most of the decks running it are R/W and the ones with Seal of Fire have a singleton Lurrus, and they're using it as their permanent to recur. That makes a lot more sense.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Oh! I see what it's for.

Most of the decks running it are R/W and the ones with Seal of Fire have a singleton Lurrus, and they're using it as their permanent to recur. That makes a lot more sense.
    The one I was looking at was mono-red, and was probably running it for the reasons you mentioned.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, mono red burn isn't the worst thing. Boros is definitely much better, but that's because Boros Charm, Lightning Helix, and white sideboard cards are all really great.

In my experience playing various burn strategies, Seal of Fire is only really good if you can recast it. I'd honestly give the edge to Light up the Stage, Flames of the Blood Hand, or Exquisite Firecraft. Other options would include Searing Blaze 3-4 and Grim Lavamancer.

That said, the majority of the cost of any Modern deck is usually the manabase and sideboard cards.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Chatterfang-Squirrel-General-Modern-Horizons-2-Spoiler.png

WHY IN GOLGARI COLORS ?!?!

Sigh... Golgari get so much love already!

I would have LOVE a Grull color Legendary squirrel instead. How about every squirrels in play get haste and flying during your turn? To have a army of flying squirrels LOL

Still Im sure this card is going to be popular.
    Because squirrels have historically been Golgari, so it would make sense to have the first black border squirrel commander fit those colors.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Because squirrels have historically been Golgari, so it would make sense to have the first black border squirrel commander fit those colors.
    Only if you consider Unsanctioned formats not valid in Commander format. Considering that, their is ONE white squirrel in Ikoria. Therefore it would have being nice to make it white/green. I understand your point though but yeah, I would have hoped it was in Azban color at least.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-05-27 at 06:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Historically it seems there’s been more GU squirrel decks (competitively speaking).
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

That's almost certainly going to be exclusively because of Squirrel-Opp.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Only if you consider Unsanctioned formats not valid in Commander format. Considering that, their is ONE white squirrel in Ikoria. Therefore it would have being nice to make it white/green. I understand your point though but yeah, I would have hoped it was in Azban color at least.
    Unsanctioned isn't valid in Commander, at least not without house rules, and many people don't allow those house rules. Ikoria's squirrel was an outlier, other squirrels and squirrel makers have been golgari, and the squirrel archetype in this set is golgari.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

In black-border, the very few squirrel-related cards (except Helica Glider) had all been mono-green prior to this. I mean, there were a few colorless artifacts, but that doesn't make precedent for Golgari.

They are Golgari now though.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-05-31 at 04:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    In black-border, the very few squirrel-related cards (except Helica Glider) had all been mono-green prior to this. I mean, there were a few colorless artifacts, but that doesn't make precedent for Golgari.

Fair, on the other hand, flavorfully they were always more B than any other non-green color, and while not black border legal, I would say that the un-squirrels at the very least set a design precedent. Plus, for those who DO allow Acornelia in Commander, making an entire subtheme of squirrels that for some reason veered off into a different color, and therefore was unplayable in her deck, would be infuriating. I was honestly pretty annoyed that they didn't make the first standard legal squirrel in forever white, because it wasn't really where they had ever been.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been doing some testing with Modern Naya Lurrus Burn with the addition of Flame Rift from MH2. I've only played with it about 10 matches or so, but it feels great as Boros Charm 5-8. Getting to cut Rift Bolt out of the 75 feels fantastic in a meta where it feels like 3feri is around any corner. It also makes my sideboarding plan easier against aggro as I can easily look to those as my first cuts. I don't know that I'm on the right 75 yet, but Flame Rift is definitely a step up for Burn.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Garth One-eye has replaced Growing Rites of Itlimoc as my favorite way R&D has gotten around the Reserve List by adding something.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-06-05 at 02:00 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I mean much of it was made for the lulz, getting killed by squirrels is already a cruel fate for a planeswalker. But being killed by EVIL (undead, black, vile, dredging) squirrels?

A whole another level.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

What would be a good mana-cost and name for a black enchantment with "Whenever you gain 3 or more life at once, target opponent loses that much life and each other opponent loses 2 life"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #117

DwarfClericGuy

What would be a good mana-cost and name for a black enchantment with "Whenever you gain 3 or more life at once, target opponent loses that much life and each other opponent loses 2 life"
    Name : Zero Sum Game
    Flavor Text: "It's not just about winning, it's about making sure everyone else loses."

No idea about cost/balance.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a strictly better Sanguine Bond in any non-ping casers and should be costed at about that. Sure you don't get the trigger off of 1 life gain pings, but the extra damage is most likely worth it. I'd say 6 mana with double black is probably fine?

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    It's a strictly better Sanguine Bond in any non-ping casers and should be costed at about that. Sure you don't get the trigger off of 1 life gain pings, but the extra damage is most likely worth it. I'd say 6 mana with double black is probably fine?
    I'd actually say it's probably generally worse than Sanguine Bond, though this is coming from the perspective of someone who mostly plays 1v1. Lots of heavy life-gain strategies are built on blood artists and soul wardens, and this doesn't get those. I'd probably cost it closer to 1BBB or 4B, slightly easier or cheaper to cast than Sanguine Bond, but not much. I also second Thomas Cardew's suggestion of Zero Sum Game, which is much better than anything I had come up with.

As a point to templating, I would remove the "at once" and clarify that it only occurs if all of the life is gained as a single instance in reminder text.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

So Jumpstart is on arena again. And it is frankly insane to me how much more fun I'm having with this game mode than the usual Standard.