New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    I don't like hitting lightly described YouTube links, what's the song?
    Johnny by Neil Cicierega. I posted it as a joke because of the title.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Oh my gods, AFR is looking awesome!

They actually made a card out of the ubiquitous 50 ft rope!
    They made bards Bards!
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my gods, AFR is looking awesome!

They actually made a card out of the ubiquitous 50 ft rope!
    They made bards Bards!
    I've been looking through them, and there is a lot if cool stuff in there. I might look into brewing a 'play your opponents stuff' commander deck with Xanathars, and I actually want one of each of the lands, if for no other reason than using them as a DnD one-shot generator.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

I, too, am very excited for this set! The flavour words idea is brilliant and I hope this sticks around.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

The Tarrasque is so disappointing though

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    The Tarrasque is so disappointing though
    Tarrasques are, by their nature, inherently disappointing. All they are is some Big Rude Dinosaur who wants to eat the world. Ergo; massive creature that is very hard to remove. It gets across how dangerous it is, AND gets across how hard it is to target with magic. I think that's all it really needed?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Tarrasques are, by their nature, inherently disappointing. All they are is some Big Rude Dinosaur who wants to eat the world. Ergo; massive creature that is very hard to remove. It gets across how dangerous it is, AND gets across how hard it is to target with magic. I think that's all it really needed?
    They're also ridiculouslu difficult to permanently put down, so indestructible, a shuffle in effect or sonething similar would have been appropriate.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    They're also ridiculouslu difficult to permanently put down, so indestructible, a shuffle in effect or sonething similar would have been appropriate.
    I'll grant that. Giving it some kind of shuffle or "bottom of deck" effect on death would have been a bit more flavourful, but I think they did capture the sheer difficulty of taking it down given it's 10/10 stats and the fact that it fights someone every attack.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I would have loved the Tarrasque to cost 5GGRR instead, making it Grull colors. And with a shuffle or bottom of library effect when it does. It would have being way more fun this way and EVEN if it had Fading on top of that, it would have being fun at least!

Not its just a boring big beast. Other creatures does the same job with more interesting effects.

Also, the fact they put Ward 10, even as conditionnal as it is, is boring and a worst way to put Hexproof. Unless you have infinite mana, might as well just destroy it with a board wipe.

10. - Top - End - #160

I'm with LaZodiac on this one, something to show the unkillability would be nice, but the tarrasque was never more than a sack of hit points, attack rolls, and spell resistance. Ward 10 v hexproof is probably because they are phasing out hexproof on creatures and because it at least gives some chance to get rid of it.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

A big burly creature that has impressive stats for people who don’t know what they’re looking at, but against experienced players is an over-costed, easily exploitable sack of hit points?

Looks like they got the Tarrasque perfect to me.

But regardless, loving the set. From what I’ve seen. The little flavor notes in the text of some cards seems fun.* Framing certain spells as decision points in an adventure gave me a smile.

And the Venture mechanic seems like a fun little game within a game that won’t be over powerful.

Love it all.

*Though I am positive people will complain about it though.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2021-06-29 at 03:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    A big burly creature that has impressive stats for people who don’t know what they’re looking at, but against experienced players is an over-costed, easily exploitable sack of hit points?

Looks like they got the Tarrasque perfect to me.

But regardless, loving the set. From what I’ve seen. The little flavor notes in the text of some cards seems fun.* Framing certain spells as decision points in an adventure gave me a smile.

And the Venture mechanic seems like a fun little game within a game that won’t be over powerful.

Love it all.

*Though I am positive people will complain about it though.
    Most people seem to be focused on Hating Dungeons For No Reason, as opposed to disliking the cute flavour text stuff.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Most people seem to be focused on Hating Dungeons For No Reason, as opposed to disliking the cute flavour text stuff.
    Yeah, I can see why people would be annoyed by it. It's another thing that breaks some of the perceived rules of what a command zone and side board is supposed to be. And there are always going to be those folks who have a problem with the new on principle.

Personally though, love it. It looks like exactly the kind of flavorful not all that powerful thing I wished the rest of the game was balanced around.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Also, the fact they put Ward 10, even as conditionnal as it is, is boring and a worst way to put Hexproof. Unless you have infinite mana, might as well just destroy it with a board wipe.
    As was mentioned in MR's tumblr when this same thing was asked, there are some actual interesting difference between Ward 10 and Hexproof, even without infinite mana.

Ward 10 is weak to "can't be countered" removal, which is rare and impractical to hit 10 damage with. If it fights something with a couple of points of power you have some options, like Inescapable Blaze or Heated Debate, but nothing gets to 10 un-counterable without spending at least 11 mana that I can see. There's also a few effects that give "can't be countered" to a spell that would allow regular removal to hit it, but those are also rare (4 cards, none of which are that good frankly).

On the flipside, Hexproof is weak to the 7(? did I miss any?) cards that explicitly negate or remove it, of which at least 3 (Arcane Lighthouse, Detection Tower, Glaring Spotlight) are commonly played in commander and many of the others are really good and go well in decks even if you don't expect to encounter Hexproof.

So mechanically they're much the same in a normal duel, but in commander Ward 10 is honestly way harder to deal with right now than Hexproof, which is at least mildly interesting (to me at least :) )

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

I dislike dungeons because sliding tokens around a small card in a precise way is an accessibility nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I dislike dungeons because sliding tokens around a small card in a precise way is an accessibility nightmare.
    Entirely valid! You're not one of the people I was talking about.

Honestly the token that goes on the dungeon is utterly unnecessary. It's super easy to remember, so if I was gaming with someone who did have those issues I'd be fine with it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-07-01 at 01:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarrasque is so worse than Ghalta, Primal Hunger or Carnage Tyrant

fightning before defenders? cool.
    Ward? ook... it's not hexproof, but ok
    haste? ooookay, cute. but at that cost for a 10/10 that doesnt trample

yeah..

come on

also... using the Command Zone for dungeons, seems like a programmer using variables "not in use, just relax" already in the system to save space
    instead of creating new ones
    why?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by FireJustice View Post
    also... using the Command Zone for dungeons, seems like a programmer using variables "not in use, just relax" already in the system to save space
    instead of creating new ones
    why?
    The command zone is where things that effect the game but aren't really directly intractable go. See emblems, planes, phenomenons, schemes, conspiracies, and vanguards.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2021-07-02 at 03:29 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, if there were more than three?

I think WotC saw Sagas becoming such a hit, and thought to themselves: "What if the counter moved conditionally, and also wasn't counters to not stack too much power onto counter mechanics?" And the basic idea is good, but the (current and probably future) support as well as the choices for dungeons is laughably small.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post

I think WotC saw Sagas becoming such a hit, and thought to themselves: "What if the counter moved conditionally, and also wasn't counters to not stack too much power onto counter mechanics?" And the basic idea is good, but the (current and probably future) support as well as the choices for dungeons is laughably small.
    I don't really believe that. There's a ton of design space for dungeons, mechanical and flavour wise.

21. - Top - End - #171

While Dungeons feel like Sagas, they actually play in different spaces. Sagas are linear, they cost mana, and they need to go into your deck. They don't provide branching choices and move forward predictably. Whenever you venture into the first room, you have to choose between every Dungeon, considering the choices being made at each step and how long it will take to get through. This is a huge decision point, and with each additional Dungeon the difficulty of that decision increases exponentially. I think in play you will find that even with just three dungeons you will be spoiled for choice, and while the mechanic is naturally fairly parasitic, within the set there is enough support on enough good cards that I expect it to pop up quite often in the next 15 months of standard.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Dungeons are awfully gimmicky, and I hope they leave them as a one-of attempt and move on .

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

While Dungeons feel like Sagas, they actually play in different spaces. Sagas are linear, they cost mana, and they need to go into your deck. They don't provide branching choices and move forward predictably. Whenever you venture into the first room, you have to choose between every Dungeon, considering the choices being made at each step and how long it will take to get through. This is a huge decision point, and with each additional Dungeon the difficulty of that decision increases exponentially. I think in play you will find that even with just three dungeons you will be spoiled for choice, and while the mechanic is naturally fairly parasitic, within the set there is enough support on enough good cards that I expect it to pop up quite often in the next 15 months of standard.
    There is a saga land(that costs the placement of a land instead of mana) which is powerful when you abuse counter removal/transfer.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-05 at 12:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    There is a saga land(that costs the placement of a land instead of mana) which is powerful when you abuse counter removal/transfer.
    That doesn't change the fact that Dungeons and Sagas play in different design space and play very differently from each other. There aren't 10s of cards that say "search for a saga and pit it on the battlefield" and most Sagas won't be able to trigger several times per turn, especially not in limited.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Dungeons are awfully gimmicky, and I hope they leave them as a one-of attempt and move on .
    They might not return to dungeons, but I bet we’ll see an uptick in the number of extra game board like pieces in the future.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

That doesn't change the fact that Dungeons and Sagas play in different design space and play very differently from each other. There aren't 10s of cards that say "search for a saga and pit it on the battlefield" and most Sagas won't be able to trigger several times per turn, especially not in limited.
    I dont see dungeons triggering more than once or twice a turn.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I dont see dungeons triggering more than once or twice a turn.
    Except the Acerak + Heartless Summoning, which I think might finally make a Heartless Summoning deck work in modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a deck where I attempt to get an enlightened counter onto the Vecna-token. I call it "Books are good for you."
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Mine is getting the Enlightened counter on Faceless Haven and then just laughing.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Mine is getting the Enlightened counter on Faceless Haven and then just laughing.
    I know about that combo, which is why I added more land-destruction to Professor Google.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.