New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Stranger Things Mafia Game Thread

In the town of Hawkins, Indiana, not all is as it seems. With federal agents on the move and monsters from another world, can a group of townspeople figure out who among them are working for nefarious ends?

This is the game thread for a game of mafia/werewolf, with flavor and roles inspired by the Netflix series Stranger Things. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread or via PM.

Spoiler: Basic Mechanics
    Show
    Mafia, AKA Werewolf, is a game in which members of an uninformed minority, known as the Town (in this game townspeople of Hawkins), who don't know anyone else's alignment but their own, try to find members of an informed minority, called the Mafia (who in this game will either be US Agents or Monsters from the Upside Down), who know who is one of them and who isn't. The game starts at "Day", and players vote for who they think - or are pretending to think - is a member of the Mafia. Whoever gets the most votes is eliminated at the end of the Day. After each Day is one Night, in which people activate abilities that they may have access to, and the Mafia can choose one person between them to eliminate. The game ends when only one faction remains, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Stolen from Unavenger, thanks!

Spoiler: Game Specific Rules
    Show
    • Days and Nights will be 48 hours each. It is likely d1 will be Monday, April 12. The first EOD will be Wednesday, April 14th at 6 PM EST as long as the game begins before 6 PM Monday. No "hammer" votes or other mechanics will end the day early. You may talk in the game thread at any time.
    • You may vote for No Elimination or No Vote as per voting for a player (in Red). The former is a vote for no-one to be killed by the elimination, the latter is an abstention.
    • In the case of a tie at X votes on a player (or no elimination), the option that has at at least X votes for the longest contiguous time before EOD will be eliminated. (i.e. two players have 4 votes each, the first one to have at least four votes on them will be killed).
    • If daytime actions exist, follow the instructions on your role PM on how to activate them. While you are welcome to claim to possess whatever actions you want, please do not fake mechanical reveals (such as posting Reveal: Innocent Child) if you do not possess the ability to do so.
    • Actions will have an order of operations to their processing generally aligning with NAR.
    • There will be NO individually created quicktopics this game. Do not PM or create quicktopics with other players unless given one through narrator action. However, there may be abilities that give access to or create private chats.
    • Any factional nightkill will be carried and therefore is able to be tracked or voided (roleblocked) barring other mechanics.

Spoiler: Set-Up and Roles
    Show

Stranger Things Mafia will be a CLOSED set up, which means that roles will not be known at the start of the game. However, there are a number of things I will announce now regarding the set-up, with the potential for more at the time the game starts.

• Each player will be given the name of either a citizen of Hawkins, a US agent, or a Monster (see alignment information below). However, do not expect to win by flavor claiming. Both the Mafia and Serial Killer teams will be given access to lists of fake flavor and role claims. Which characters serve as player roles or fake claims will be randomized. There may be additional repercussions to claiming flavor through the use of anti-claim roles or mechanics.
    • The alignments present in the game will vary by number of players. If there are eleven or fewer, the game will consist of TOWN (Townspeople) versus MAFIA (US Agents). If there are twelve or more, there will additionally be a SERIAL KILLER (Monster from the Upside Down). If there are 18 or more, the Serial Killer team will consist of two players.
    • There will be no alignment changes (this means no cult-like mechanics) or unannounced or changing win conditions. There may, however, be lost wolf or recluse style roles.
    • At no point will I, the narrator, lie to you. There will be no Godfathers, full Janitors, or Tailors. There may be partial redactions of role PMs, investigations, or flips, but alignments will always reveal when a character dies.
    • A number of other roles will also not exist. There will be nothing that messes with day/night cycle, no role that survives the daily elimination, no role to return players from the dead or interact with deadchat (however, death may function differently for some players), and no role that prevents players from posting in the main thread. There are likely other roles crazier than those here that will also not be included, but I will not list all of them.
    • Roles that have a limited numbers of uses will be present.
    • If a player has access to multiple actions, their role PM will dictate if they can use each or have to choose one. A player carrying a factional nightkill can always use their other actions as well.

The game begins upon the thread opening:

Players:

1. AlephNull
    2. AvatarVecna
    3. Batcathat
    4. Book Wombat
    5. CaoimhinTheCape
    6. JeenLeen
    7. totadileplayz

A reminder that mafia have been provided with randomized safe claims and flavor should not be taken as alignment indicative.

IT IS NOW DAY ONE, YOU MAY POST. D1 ENDS WEDNESDAY AT 6PM EASTERN

As the first day dawns, there is a brief scuffle on the outskirts of town. Unmarked vans arrive, and unmarked vans leave. All that is left behind is a body you all recognize. Clearly, the agents among you have hidden themselves well enough that they feel emboldened to attack the local burger joint.

Apogee1 has died. They were Benny Hammond, Town Burger Chef
    Last edited by Apogee1; 2021-04-12 at 01:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Stranger Things Mafia Game Thread

D1 poke at AvatarVecna, before she can dominate the meta as noted in the recruitment thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Too late. AvatarVecna

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

AvatarVecna. Hey, I especially hate self-voters, so not letting this one go.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

So little discussion, even D1 pokes, so let's spice things up with some analysis based on almost nothing.

Player list
    AlephNull = no posts
    AvatarVecna = no posts, except normal joking.
    Batcathat = new player. We don't lynch new players D1.
    Book Wombat = no posts
    CaoimhinTheCape = no posts
    JeenLeen = Town. Though I admit my Role name sounds like a secret agent, but apparently (from Google) it's just a jerk in the town.
    totaldileplayz = posted, and believable. No real data.

From how last game went, and the joking in the recruitment thread, I'm scared of AvatarVecna and totadileplayz. Both did some unexpected things that went off exceptionally well. Both have shown themselves skilled players, and, while that's great for Town if they are Town, dangerous if they are the wolf/wolves.
    Also, from the joking banter in the recruitment thread, both could 'get away with' some tricky stuff if either one is a wolf.

So that's why I'm inclined to vote for one of them.

How many wolves?

We have 7 players. (Sorry, Apogee. As a narrator of some games, that makes me feel for you.)

Normally that would make 1 wolf. At most 2. I can't imagine it being 3, since that's almost half the players starting as wolves and likely game over by D2.
    If 1 wolf, the downside is that makes it easy for game to end D1 if the Town is lucky.
    If 2 wolves, the downside is that's a 2 vs 5 set-up. 2 vs 4 when D1 ends (probably), and then 2 vs 3 when D2 starts. On the other hand, if 2 wolves, we're pretty likely to lynch one even by chance by D2, so maybe it's not that unlikely.

If there is 1 wolf, I reckon their powers are good.
    My power is pretty standard Town, so I reckon that's similar for other townies.

The Set-Up and Roles says that no player is immune to the daily elimination. I didn't see anything about it being impossible that someone might be immune to a first NK, so it's possible (if there is a town-vig), that the wolf might have a 1-time-immunity. Of course, it's also possible that we can't distinguish between a bane/void blocking a vig and a wolf surviving, so that's not real useful speculation.

Also, I'm leaning that there's not a Town vigilante. Seems too likely to end the game too early, and there's plenty of non-vig powers to hand around with just 7 players.
    However, if there is a vig, I... well, I'm not sure if I like the idea of shooting randomly or not. With so few players, the odds of hitting a wolf are higher; but a misfire is also more dire.

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    AvatarVecna. Hey, I especially hate self-voters, so not letting this one go.
    Sadly, if AV flips wolf, I will not consider that to exonerate totaldileplayz.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

That's some clever analyzing. Maybe... too clever?

Since I have little information and less experience but is eager to start playing, I'll just go with my gut cynicism and vote JeenLeen for now. (Huh. I suddenly suspect people like me is how literal witch hunts gut started...)
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-04-14 at 04:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A little more power speculation from the rules

To clarify one thing earlier: I meant we know the wolf/wolves can't be immune to day-lynch, but they might have a night-kill-immunity. I realized I wasn't as clear as I meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by opening rules on possible powers
    There may, however, be lost wolf or recluse style roles.

Roles that have a limited numbers of uses will be present.
    Can someone define "lost wolf" or "recluse"? With 7 players, if 2 wolves, maybe one of those is more likely to balance the a proportionally-high mafia?
    I'm not sure how literally to take the "will" in "will be present", but if we take it rather literally, we know at least one player has a power with limited uses or a JOAT-type powerset. Apogee, if you're willing to clarify if there truly MUST be such a role active, or if it is merely possible and we don't know, much appreciated. But I can see the Narrator staying silent on that aspect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    That's some clever analyzing. Maybe... too clever?

Since I have little information and less experience but is eager to start playing, I'll just go with my gut cynicism and vote JeenLeen for now. (Huh. I suddenly suspect people like me is how literally witch hunts gut started...)
    Nah. That's cool. I figured it would be risky.

By the way, WIFOM means "wine in front of me", and is an allusion to the wine scene in The Princess Bride.
    In this example, wolves don't want attention. So wolf!JeenLeen wouldn't post that analyze. But he'd know that isn't a wolfy move, so maybe wofl!JeenLeen actually would post that analyze. And so on and so on in a circular fashion, such that you can't guess if someone is acting wolf/town for legit reasons or to deceive.

If you look at the last game, AvatarVecna's seer-claim D1 was an amazing example of it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Honestly In This Set-Up I can see a one-shot vigi, probably with some additional limitation. If That's The Case, I doubt Wolves would have an nk-immunity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    By the way, WIFOM means "wine in front of me", and is an allusion to the wine scene in The Princess Bride.
    In this example, wolves don't want attention. So wolf!JeenLeen wouldn't post that analyze. But he'd know that isn't a wolfy move, so maybe wofl!JeenLeen actually would post that analyze. And so on and so on in a circular fashion, such that you can't guess if someone is acting wolf/town for legit reasons or to deceive.
    Yeah, that sounds about in line with other "deceive and murder your friends" type games I've played. I guess I'll just have to hope my short attention span is more powerful than my obsessive streak, so I won't end up in an endless loop of "But what if that's what they want you to think?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vote: JeenLeen

From how last game went, and the joking in the recruitment thread, I'm scared of AvatarVecna and totadileplayz. Both did some unexpected things that went off exceptionally well. Both have shown themselves skilled players, and, while that's great for Town if they are Town, dangerous if they are the wolf/wolves.
    Also, from the joking banter in the recruitment thread, both could 'get away with' some tricky stuff if either one is a wolf.

So that's why I'm inclined to vote for one of them.

My power is pretty standard Town, so I reckon that's similar for other townies.

The Set-Up and Roles says that no player is immune to the daily elimination. I didn't see anything about it being impossible that someone might be immune to a first NK, so it's possible (if there is a town-vig), that the wolf might have a 1-time-immunity. Of course, it's also possible that we can't distinguish between a bane/void blocking a vig and a wolf surviving, so that's not real useful speculation.

Also, I'm leaning that there's not a Town vigilante. Seems too likely to end the game too early, and there's plenty of non-vig powers to hand around with just 7 players.
    However, if there is a vig, I... well, I'm not sure if I like the idea of shooting randomly or not. With so few players, the odds of hitting a wolf are higher; but a misfire is also more dire.
    I very much don't like the first paragraph. Wants to vote players for:

- Playstyle in previous games
    - Being skilled players
    - banter in recruitment

None of the reasons are super relevant to this game and sounds like wanting to get rid of good players (who, if town, will cause problems for the wolves).

Mentions his powers are pretty standard. Not sure what to make of that.

The bottom analysis would normally sound townish to me. Analysis Day 1 on a very short game feels helpful, but coming after the first part of the post is making me pause. While I agree there isn't likely a town Vig, it could also be a wolf (possibly solo with a 1 time immunity as Jeen suggested?) fishing for that information.

I'm not sure how literally to take the "will" in "will be present", but if we take it rather literally, we know at least one player has a power with limited uses or a JOAT-type powerset.
    That's an easy box to tick - with a small game, I'd be surprised if JOAT or some other limited use ability wasn't around.

I like the vote on Jeen, at least for now, but we do have a while left before lynch. Some things I would like to call out.

AvatarVecna - I'd love for you to vote someone other than yourself. I know it's a thing you do but we got limited time and I'd like to see your actual thoughts rather than a joke vote.

Aleph Null and Book Wombat - Haven't posted yet (I understand I'm saying this in my first post). I am extremely worried about having an afk player going into Day 2 and beyond. I'll have to look back at the autolynch rules but I don't even know if they'd come into play for a 7 player game. If it gets near the end of Day 1 I'll be inclined to vote for someone who hasn't posted as they could easily be a Wolf who wanted to skate through Day 1 for free or a Town who will not be around to use their ability/vote.

Vote Count:

AvatarVecna (3): JeenLeen, AvatarVecna, totadileplayz
    JeenLeen (2): Batcathat, CaoimhinTheCape

Not voting: AlephNull, Book Wombat
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-04-14 at 09:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

No real defense to Cao's comments. I didn't intend it that way, but I see his points. Town vig, if you exist, I do not think you should reveal who you are. Same for any JOAT or other limited-use powerset. That was speculation to share, not meant as wanting anyone (beyond Apogee with the JOAT question) to prove it by claiming.

And, yeah, I admit those are bad reasons to vote someone in general, but that was the real reason for my D1 first post poke. And there aren't good reasons to vote early D1 (usually).
    I'd change my vote if I had a real reason to vote someone... but since I'm the most suspicious right now, doesn't seem the right tactic

If I do wind up dying today, keep in mind that targeting my suspicious comments is a very strong way for a wolf to get rid of me. Of course, also looks towny, and maybe the wolves are the quiet players letting us kill each other (the ideal wolf scenario D1). I guess my death (at least with current posting) doesn't reveal much, but maybe it in conjunction with track/watch/seers targeting either Cao/Batcathat or AV/totaldileplayz would.
    In other words, I don't think there's a strong pattern to tell who might be scumbuddies with who (if there are even 2 wolves), but I lean towards one of AV, Cao, and Batcathat being scum. Being able to get some power-based intel could be really helpful D2.

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    AvatarVecna - I'd love for you to vote someone other than yourself. I know it's a thing you do but we got limited time and I'd like to see your actual thoughts rather than a joke vote.
    I also share this sentiment.
    I get why someone might do it as Town (beyond laughs). If you random-poke a wolf D1, it looks like distancing later on and could screw you. Or if you random poke a townie, maybe that backfires (though less likely to). But it's still some info, as opposed to note via self-vote, and giving some (even if scant and weak info) is a good town move.
    So, as Town, a real vote is better.

I'd fine it neat if the metagame shifts such that self-voting is considered an ill move. I think I read that some Mafia forums consider not voting in your first post (even D1) a legit move, but here's it's considered wolfy and suspicious. Be neat to see if this aspect shifts, between sentiments like Cao's and totaldileplayz.
    On the other hand, I can see AV maintaining. JoyWonderLove kept to not voting D1 consistently enough that, while she was active, it became clear that her doing so wasn't a wolfy move.

Anyway, not meaning to be critical, AV (or overly critical/mean). But I reckon you get the sentiment, even if you disagree with the logic, from how often you've asked for more discussion.

Also, this seems a safe distancing if AV and Cao are scumbuddies.

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to mention: I'm going offline soon today, but should be back tomorrow. Probably won't be on exactly around Day's end, but most of Wednesday. I'm getting my 2nd COVID shot Wednesday afternoon, so I hope that won't have bad side effects and greatly hinder posting Thursday/Friday.

12. - Top - End - #12

I also share this sentiment.
    I get why someone might do it as Town (beyond laughs). If you random-poke a wolf D1, it looks like distancing later on and could screw you. Or if you random poke a townie, maybe that backfires (though less likely to). But it's still some info, as opposed to note via self-vote, and giving some (even if scant and weak info) is a good town move.
    So, as Town, a real vote is better.

I'd fine it neat if the metagame shifts such that self-voting is considered an ill move. I think I read that some Mafia forums consider not voting in your first post (even D1) a legit move, but here's it's considered wolfy and suspicious. Be neat to see if this aspect shifts, between sentiments like Cao's and totaldileplayz.
    On the other hand, I can see AV maintaining. JoyWonderLove kept to not voting D1 consistently enough that, while she was active, it became clear that her doing so wasn't a wolfy move.

Anyway, not meaning to be critical, AV (or overly critical/mean). But I reckon you get the sentiment, even if you disagree with the logic, from how often you've asked for more discussion.

Outside of this game, I can definitely see reasons to vote yourself. My only concern this time is that we're in Lynch or Lose either Day 2 or 3 (assuming 1 lynch/kill each Day/Night). So Wolves can have an easy time skating by Day 1 with little content (anyone being afk), by voting themselves and not giving away much, or something else that would not raise eyebrows in a normal game.

Granted, AV is certainly not the type to just skate by and let the town implode. Happy to give credit there. I just want to push for as much info as possible as quick as possible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Sorry I had a busy monday.

While I agree that voting based on the meta is generally a bad idea, it's still day 1, so there isn't much to go by...
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

I don't know why, but I think more people have studied linguistics than I have.
    ...yes, the above sentence is in fact meaningless. But you did a double-take, didn't you?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm not sure how literally to take the "will" in "will be present", but if we take it rather literally, we know at least one player has a power with limited uses or a JOAT-type powerset. Apogee, if you're willing to clarify if there truly MUST be such a role active, or if it is merely possible and we don't know, much appreciated. But I can see the Narrator staying silent on that aspect.
    It is not a hard requirement

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Seeing as how this is simply jeenleen proffering up discussion I am currently leaning everyone inactive as sus.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing as how this is simply jeenleen proffering up discussion I am currently leaning everyone inactive as sus.
    So our main theories so far is that it's either the people who talk too much or the people who talk too little? I should keep in mind to talk juuust the right amount.

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

So our main theories so far is that it's either the people who talk too much or the people who talk too little? I should keep in mind to talk juuust the right amount.
    Conversations are key. Anyone who isnt voting and isnt talking is actively hampering town and letting wolves win.

People who are talking can easily steer town to vote for or against someone. This is also a wolf play.

The key is to pay attention, try to look for links.

18. - Top - End - #18

How do you define inactive? We don't have a page of discussion yet and I could make a case for any most of us as "inactive".

AlephNull - One post, no vote.
    AvatarVecna - One post, self vote.
    Batcathat - Three posts, some questions about the game/discussion.
    Book Wombat - No posts.
    CaoimhinTheCape - Two posts, larger one to vote Jeen, then a meta comment.
    JeenLeen - Four posts, some analysis but I've already laid out what doesn't sit well with me.
    totadileplayz - Four posts, each on the shorter side.

Really, the only people I'd say are active are Jeen, Batcat, and totadile. Even totodile's count bumped up since I intended to post this afternoon.

totodile I assume that AV seeming inactive means your vote isn't just a random early vote?

Conversations are key. Anyone who isnt voting and isnt talking is actively hampering town and letting wolves win.

People who are talking can easily steer town to vote for or against someone. This is also a wolf play.

I'll agree with the sentiment, even if it is contradicting itself a little.

Aleph Null Now that you've posted, I'm interested who you want to vote for. Whether it is AV, Jeen, or someone new it'll be helpful to see where you go.

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

How do you define inactive? We don't have a page of discussion yet and I could make a case for any most of us as "inactive".

AlephNull - One post, no vote.
    AvatarVecna - One post, self vote.
    Batcathat - Three posts, some questions about the game/discussion.
    Book Wombat - No posts.
    CaoimhinTheCape - Two posts, larger one to vote Jeen, then a meta comment.
    JeenLeen - Four posts, some analysis but I've already laid out what doesn't sit well with me.
    totadileplayz - Four posts, each on the shorter side.

Really, the only people I'd say are active are Jeen, Batcat, and totadile. Even totodile's count bumped up since I intended to post this afternoon.

totodile I assume that AV seeming inactive means your vote isn't just a random early vote?

I'll agree with the sentiment, even if it is contradicting itself a little.

Aleph Null Now that you've posted, I'm interested who you want to vote for. Whether it is AV, Jeen, or someone new it'll be helpful to see where you go.
    Its because its multiple plays people can do, and both have their pro's and cons. It's also why wolfy behavior is best read based on the situation. And not active/inactive. The fact of the matter is, wolves want to be the ones steering the town, and they also don't want to be noticed. Both are viable plays and in fact on a wolf team both are reccomended. The best way we have to solve the game is discussion, so I wont vote for someone who's active today. And frankly speaking AV isnt active.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

To non-voters feeling a bit impartial: discussion would probably be helped most by 1 more vote on me, or a vote on new people. That way we either 1) have a tied wagon with AV*, or 2) get a new person in the spotlight.
    If either I, AV, or the new person is a wolf, that might have other wolves (if there are more than one) moving votes or reacting. Probably not in a way we can detect today, but maybe D2.

*note that, as she self-voted, AV is essentially tied with me right now, or could easily make me in the lead by moving her vote to me. However, I admit she's left her vote on herself in the past, I think even in situations like this... Anyway, just keep that in mind if you try to tie with me AV for info's sake.

21. - Top - End - #21

To non-voters feeling a bit impartial: discussion would probably be helped most by 1 more vote on me, or a vote on new people. That way we either 1) have a tied wagon with AV*, or 2) get a new person in the spotlight.
    If either I, AV, or the new person is a wolf, that might have other wolves (if there are more than one) moving votes or reacting. Probably not in a way we can detect today, but maybe D2.

*note that, as she self-voted, AV is essentially tied with me right now, or could easily make me in the lead by moving her vote to me. However, I admit she's left her vote on herself in the past, I think even in situations like this... Anyway, just keep that in mind if you try to tie with me AV for info's sake.
    I'll be able to move my vote around before end of Day, so I'll switch up my vote now - if anyone moves with me (especially someone on the AV wagon) we'll at least have some discussion/a few options. On the fence about Jeen but at least he's here posting.

Vote: Aleph Null since you haven't voted anyone. I'm also worried about Book Wombat not showing up so I'd also go for that wagon.

Vote Count:

JeenLeen (1): Batcathat
    AlephNull (1): CaoimhinTheCape

Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-04-14 at 01:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is about the level of activity I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone define "lost wolf" or "recluse"? With 7 players, if 2 wolves, maybe one of those is more likely to balance the a proportionally-high mafia?
    From context, I'd guess that "lost wolf" is a wolf who doesn't start out in contact with the other wolves, making it harder for wolves to coordinate fully. I could maybe see a 7 player game with 2 wolves if neither wolf started in contact with the other.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd fine it neat if the metagame shifts such that self-voting is considered an ill move.
    The metagame already considers self-voting an ill move. It's inherently harmful to whatever side I'm on and throws things into disarray. I don't do it because I think the community approves of me doing it, I do it because I enjoy doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Another key is to look for discrepancies, patterns that players fall into and times when they don't fit the patterns. This can also get into WIFOM territory, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a weird question. In the recruitment thread, I said I'd self-vote, and totadile said they'd vote me if I self-voted. When the thread started, I self-voted, and totadile voted for me. I'm not sure why you're asking questions like you're wanting to dig into the motivations of totadile's vote on me.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    This is a weird question. In the recruitment thread, I said I'd self-vote, and totadile said they'd vote me if I self-voted. When the thread started, I self-voted, and totadile voted for me. I'm not sure why you're asking questions like you're wanting to dig into the motivations of totadile's vote on me.
    I wasn't thinking much of the recruitment thread (forgot that conversation you two had until later), I was more looking to confirm that it was a serious vote that totodile would want to stick with through end of day or see if totodile had other suspects.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

If I was doing a serious vote today, it'd be on totadile.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

Sounds like you're keeping your vote on yourself through Day 1 then? That's... well, I'm confused on how that fits into your strategy but ok.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm also worried about Book Wombat not showing up so I'd also go for that wagon.
    Another key is to look for discrepancies, patterns that players fall into and times when they don't fit the patterns. This can also get into WIFOM territory, of course.
    I'm not completely sure why, but something about these posts makes me inclined to move my vote off AV to Book Wombat (to pressure some voice, as Cao makes a good point) or to totaldileplayz, but I feel like that might be doing what AV hopes I'll do... so I'm gonna stick with my initial gut feeling and keep my vote on AV.

I guess the feeling to move to totadileplayz is to test AV's supposed real-vote-if-she-were-making-one: see how totaldile flips to help read AV. But sticking to a vote on AV is a more solid way to test AV.
    Something about this feels like wolf!AV being caught in a rather unfortunate scenario. To be consistent with her earlier banter, she self-voted, and she knew that'd get her some heat. The level of heat may be more than she anticipated (2 votes instead of just totaldileplayz), but she's responding in a neutral enough way that is dissuading some folk from voting her (almost worked on me.)

Of course, WIFOM comes into play in that that's also how a legit townie would act, especially one who felt their power wasn't worthwhile enough to be worth letting another townie take the D1 mislynch.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-04-14 at 11:49 AM. Reason: fix QUOTE code

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

This game feels like the last ten minutes of a murder mystery. Except that every time the detective has stopped talking about what really happened, another detective stands up to talk about what really really happened.

As a beginner, it also feels a little like being dropped into some strange and foreign culture where I sort of speak the language but don't understand any of the social norms. Quite amusing, I must say.

28. - Top - End - #28

This game feels like the last ten minutes of a murder mystery. Except that every time the detective has stopped talking about what really happened, another detective stands up to talk about what really really happened.

As a beginner, it also feels a little like being dropped into some strange and foreign culture where I sort of speak the language but don't understand any of the social norms. Quite amusing, I must say.
    I definitely get that sentiment, my first few games here I was very much trying to understand how the games usually go here. After a couple games you get used it. So far we're only on Day 1, so we don't have much to go on, but putting out a lot of ideas/opinions tends to help figure out the game later. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.

From all the talking today, do you have opinions on any of the players (if they seem like they're town or wolf)? It'll be hard since this is Day 1 still, but anything could be helpful. I'll probably do a read list later.

I'm not completely sure why, but something about these posts makes me inclined to move my vote off AV to Book Wombat (to pressure some voice, as Cao makes a good point) or to totaldileplayz, but I feel like that might be doing what AV hopes I'll do... so I'm gonna stick with my initial gut feeling and keep my vote on AV.
    I mean, since my Aleph vote is doing nothing, I'll Vote: Book Wombat in case that changes anything. I don't think I want Jeen lynched anymore, if only for the fact that Jeen is engaging with the game.

Vote Count:

JeenLeen (1): Batcathat
    Book Wombat (1): CaoimhinTheCape

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm still inclined to vote AV, but, if there is a town vigilante, I wouldn't be opposed to them offing Book Wombat (assuming he stays inactive, beyond a suspicious "hey, don't kill me. I'm here" level of activity.)

--- ---

There's something I've been debating asking, but I think I will go ahead in case I die tonight.
    I'm a "Neighbor" with someone with the role of Nancy Wheeler; we have a private QT in which we can communicate. I don't know if they are Town or Wolf -- checked with Apogee, and he confirmed being neighbors did not mean we were of the same alignment. Could be, or could not be.

I've decided to trust them, and told them my power.
    If they are a wolf, they are incentivized to keep me alive since I'm trusting them (to a fair degree) and can be manipulated.
    If they are legit town, then, well, we're networked. Yay.
    I'd say who they are, but that would make the wolves want to kill me to incriminate them (maybe? WIFOM antics). So I think it's unwise to tell who I'm networked with. Also, in the off-chance I'm the only person with a Neighbor and thus a baner might want to bane me tonight, naming them means 2 folk to bane instead of one.

But it occurs to me that, if there is just 1 wolf, a good starting power is being networked with a townie. I don't really know if anyone else should say if they are networked or not... but I have a guess that of these things are true
    1) most townies have above-average (for a given game) powers. For those who don't, they are networked. (My power isn't trash, but it's a normal power.)
    2) all/most townies are networked. The wolves can fakeclaim being neighbors.
    3) the wolf/wolves are networked with townies. No real townies are networked together.
    4) a few people were randomly networked
    5) everyone (or most everyone) was randomly networked, and that means probably there's a wolf-townie Neighbor
    I dislike #4 and #5 and almost didn't list them, but it is possible. I mainly dislike those options because they make declaring and discussing this pretty much useless for interpretation and pinpointing wolves.
    I realize other scenarios are possible. Maybe just 2 townies were randomly picked as Neighbors, or two players. But that seems unlikely.

Basically, I'm saying this publicly in case #3 is true and it might help us fine the wolf/wolves. If absolutely no-one else is a Neighbor, then I think my buddy is probably scum. Perhaps the only scum.
    Not sure if people should declare things this Day or not. I'm leaning to stay quiet. If I die, Apogee confirmed that my death reveal will say that I am a Neighbor, so we can test this in part by seeing if the D1 lynch and N1 NK reveal Neighbor relationships with whoever dies. If a townie dies who is NOT a neighbor, my buddy looks more suspicious.

If the Town decides it's best to lynch my neighbor, I think we can safely wait until D2. (I'd rather get more intel before betraying their name, and it's just a few hours 'til D1 ends.) Even if I die and thus can't name the player, you all knowing the Role should make it easy to figure out who it is if people claim. (Er, maybe. Perhaps I haven't thought that part through well enough, and I guess it really depends on the number of believable Role characters in the TV show.)

- - - Updated - - -

--- ---
    For new player(s?), some common terminology:

NK = night-kill
    vigilante = a townie with a NK power
    baner = someone who can protect from NKs
    voider = someone who can cancel another person's power
    watcher/tracker = I get these confused, but you target someone. With one, you can tell who they targeted. With the other, you tell who targeted them. Feels kinda useless to me usually, but useful if you happen to spot the NKer.
    seer = detects alignment/Role
    JOAT = jack of all trades. Generally has a 1-use of several powers

Also, as you likely gathered, mafia, wolf, and scum are used interchangeably. (At least in most games; sometimes there's two killnig factions, a mafia and a werewolf one, and the terminiology matters. But usually it's just Town vs. one-baddie-group, maybe with some neutrals.)

30. - Top - End - #30

Planetar

I'm still inclined to vote AV, but, if there is a town vigilante, I wouldn't be opposed to them offing Book Wombat (assuming he stays inactive, beyond a suspicious "hey, don't kill me. I'm here" level of activity.)

--- ---

There's something I've been debating asking, but I think I will go ahead in case I die tonight.
    I'm a "Neighbor" with someone with the role of Nancy Wheeler; we have a private QT in which we can communicate. I don't know if they are Town or Wolf -- checked with Apogee, and he confirmed being neighbors did not mean we were of the same alignment. Could be, or could not be.

I've decided to trust them, and told them my power.
    If they are a wolf, they are incentivized to keep me alive since I'm trusting them (to a fair degree) and can be manipulated.
    If they are legit town, then, well, we're networked. Yay.
    I'd say who they are, but that would make the wolves want to kill me to incriminate them (maybe? WIFOM antics). So I think it's unwise to tell who I'm networked with. Also, in the off-chance I'm the only person with a Neighbor and thus a baner might want to bane me tonight, naming them means 2 folk to bane instead of one.

But it occurs to me that, if there is just 1 wolf, a good starting power is being networked with a townie. I don't really know if anyone else should say if they are networked or not... but I have a guess that of these things are true
    1) most townies have above-average (for a given game) powers. For those who don't, they are networked. (My power isn't trash, but it's a normal power.)
    2) all/most townies are networked. The wolves can fakeclaim being neighbors.
    3) the wolf/wolves are networked with townies. No real townies are networked together.
    4) a few people were randomly networked
    5) everyone (or most everyone) was randomly networked, and that means probably there's a wolf-townie Neighbor
    I dislike #4 and #5 and almost didn't list them, but it is possible. I mainly dislike those options because they make declaring and discussing this pretty much useless for interpretation and pinpointing wolves.
    I realize other scenarios are possible. Maybe just 2 townies were randomly picked as Neighbors, or two players. But that seems unlikely.

Basically, I'm saying this publicly in case #3 is true and it might help us fine the wolf/wolves. If absolutely no-one else is a Neighbor, then I think my buddy is probably scum. Perhaps the only scum.
    Not sure if people should declare things this Day or not. I'm leaning to stay quiet. If I die, Apogee confirmed that my death reveal will say that I am a Neighbor, so we can test this in part by seeing if the D1 lynch and N1 NK reveal Neighbor relationships with whoever dies. If a townie dies who is NOT a neighbor, my buddy looks more suspicious.

If the Town decides it's best to lynch my neighbor, I think we can safely wait until D2. (I'd rather get more intel before betraying their name, and it's just a few hours 'til D1 ends.) Even if I die and thus can't name the player, you all knowing the Role should make it easy to figure out who it is if people claim. (Er, maybe. Perhaps I haven't thought that part through well enough, and I guess it really depends on the number of believable Role characters in the TV show.)

- - - Updated - - -

--- ---
    For new player(s?), some common terminology:

NK = night-kill
    vigilante = a townie with a NK power
    baner = someone who can protect from NKs
    voider = someone who can cancel another person's power
    watcher/tracker = I get these confused, but you target someone. With one, you can tell who they targeted. With the other, you tell who targeted them. Feels kinda useless to me usually, but useful if you happen to spot the NKer.
    seer = detects alignment/Role
    JOAT = jack of all trades. Generally has a 1-use of several powers

Also, as you likely gathered, mafia, wolf, and scum are used interchangeably. (At least in most games; sometimes there's two killnig factions, a mafia and a werewolf one, and the terminiology matters. But usually it's just Town vs. one-baddie-group, maybe with some neutrals.)
    I can basically confirm I have no neighbors, and my power is below average for it's kind.