Planetar

Default Re: Stranger Things Mafia Game Thread

It should be 7pm EDT.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

NIGHT TWO HAS ENDED

JeenLeen has died! He was a town tracker and neighbor to Nancy Wheeler.
    1. Every night, you may target a player and see who they visited that
    night.
    2. You begin in a quicktopic chat with Nancy Wheeler.

CaoimhinTheCape has died! He was Martin Brenner taking cover as Eleven.

You are a mafia investigative joat.

1. You may use each of the following powers once during the game, one per night.
    a) Rolecop. Target player and recieve a copy of thier role.
    b) Watch. Target player and see who visits them that night.
    c) Tap Phones. Target player and gain access to all private chats they are in. You may post if you think that is wise, or just observe.
    d) Track. Target player and see who they visit that night.

With Cao's death, the agents/mafia have been eliminated, and the game ends in a town victory.

Batcathat and Totadileplayz survived as town in the endgame.

Totadileplayz was Jim Hopper

You are the town night 2+ vigilante.

1. You have a single vigilante shot that may be activated on night two or later.

Batcathat was Dustin Henderson.

You are a town neighborizer granter.
    1. Every day, you may target a player by sending a message to the host in your quicktopic. That player receives a message telling them they have gained the following ability: "Once, during the night you may target a player and be added to a quicktopic with them. Please submit this action via your personal quicktopic".

As town, you when the game when all Mafia/US Agents are eliminated.

GAME OVER, TOWN WINS

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bah, good pick. Gg all, I'll post more tomorrow but fun game. Probably needed it day 2.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

The Fact of The Matter is if CaomhintheCape was not the wolf. The Wolves played incredibly poorly Yesterday. They should not have cared about looking suspicious, because i made myself a viable lynch, and it was a 3 v 2 all you guys needed to do was vote me, and you'd win the game. Did i have a turnaround point at that time honestly? Yes, I had a post, I was reasonably certain could convince someone if they were on.

This is also why I trusted Jeenleen, besides Apogee's Confirmation.

To Jeenleen's Question: I am a N2+ One-shot vigilante, my kind is vigilantes. Thus, with 2 drawbacks, and no other powers to speak of. I am categorically worse then the normal vigilante. You'll have noticed from day 1 I was soft-claiming, both with my oddly specific I can see myself existing, and with the fact I referred to myself as weaker then normal for my kind. I then became a bit more overt on the second day. Why? There weren't any real leads, and no seers. So, I had to pin the blame on apogee, but I couldn't make myself act the best, as that would be against the act as it were. I needed to try to make it so town would rally around it, and it should have succeeded. The fact of the matter is I'm only making this post on the off-chance, that I was wrong, and I wanted to give more depth then a hastily posted vote BatCatHat Post. I can only vote for one person after all, but I do actually have a Jeenleen post on standby, that is literally just that.

So Yeah Neither of you two should be a wolf, because you'd have voted for me, and won the game day 2. 3 v 2 situation. The Rough truth of it.

I did need to make it seem as though I was uncertain during the night, so that The Wolves didn't kill anyone by doing a spiteful kill. Why? Because, of uncertainty it is far better to be certain about who wins then not. and Town winning with 3 people, is better then 2. And that aspect completely failed, but He Still didn't lynch me the crux of the piece.

In short: There is no real reason to do a distancing play when you're about to win, you try to win. And Yeah Batcathat, I needed to make it seem as though I was suspicious of you, even if I am 99% Caohminthecape is the mafia.

For anyone wondering why I posted the play for what you should Do It's to make absolute certainty that if 2 people are alive and it's a town, and wolf. It's me and the wolf.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nice game all! The mostly inactive deadchat is here: https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/CMQPr7rCL9Nj

I hope even with the game being short, it was fun enough.

I have a couple thoughts about the set-up.

Needless to say, a 7 person game is difficult to balance, as if town misses twice they lose. There was a fair chance of stopping one or more kills between the commuter and the voider. That is why I added the 1x vig, as in a best case it can add a kill to town's abilities.

Town had no cops -- it would have been incredibly difficult for mafia to win in a 7 person game with a cop, but had a tracker and a voider as its primary power. Wolves had roles made so it would be difficult to massclaim day one and just hit wolves.

I decided on the Nancy/Steve neighborhood prior to randing what role was each alignment. Having it v/w seemed to work out for wolves early on, but D2 and especially after Aleph was killed it was rougher.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew, survived my first Mafia game ever. Sweet.

I was kind of leaning towards Cao being mafia but I'm not sure if that was based on much besides it seeming like a good idea to keep a low profile while everyone else was talking a lot.

Anyway, it was really fun. My first game won't be my last.

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Phew, survived my first Mafia game ever. Sweet.

I was kind of leaning towards Cao being mafia but I'm not sure if that was based on much besides it seeming like a good idea to keep a low profile while everyone else was talking a lot.

Anyway, it was really fun. My first game won't be my last.
    Though I am sorry about casting shade on you when i was certain you weren't the wolf.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    Though I am sorry about casting shade on you when i was certain you weren't the wolf.
    No worries, part of the game and all that. If I had to complain about one thing, it'd be that I didn't really get the chance to lie and try to manipulate people as much as I had hoped, so I can't fault someone else for doing what I aimed for.

9. - Top - End - #99

Planetar

Also, I should say, seeing as how AvatarVecna was a seer who relied on seeing quicktopic's i didn't really explain a lot of my strategy there. So...
    https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/9BVavW22TRUR

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

No worries, part of the game and all that. If I had to complain about one thing, it'd be that I didn't really get the chance to lie and try to manipulate people as much as I had hoped, so I can't fault someone else for doing what I aimed for.
    Well, at some point you'll rand wolf/mafia and get plenty of chances too

Or just copy some people and do it lots as town :p

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    Well, at some point you'll rand wolf/mafia and get plenty of chances too
    That's what I'm hoping. I'm the kind of person who always get a little disappointed if I'm not the wolf/traitor/cylon/whatever role in this type of games is supposed to manipulate and/or murder everyone else. Better not delve into what that says about me...

12. - Top - End - #102

Planetar

That's what I'm hoping. I'm the kind of person who always get a little disappointed if I'm not the wolf/traitor/cylon/whatever role in this type of games is supposed to manipulate and/or murder everyone else. Better not delve into what that says about me...
    Can I just point out even with my failed attempt. I still managed to be the most manipulative person here as a townie.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I just point out even with my failed attempt. I still managed to be the most manipulative person here as a townie.
    You do have a point. If I was manipulated by anyone during the game, it was you and/or JeenLeen rather than either wolf. I'll keep that in mind if I don't get to be a bad guy in future games.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I tried to "solve" the game, but realized that it was "solveable" for the wolves.
    Basically, if 2 people died last Night, and neither was the wolf, wolves win. I didn't want to make that super obvious (it was if you thought about it, but hoped it wasn't thought about.) The reason for that is that we rarely get to situations like how last Night was, so I hoped that the wolf (like me, originally) was focused on trying to figure out who would target who and optimize with that.
    I didn't realize until yesterday that it didn't matter what anyone what totaldile did. If totaldile killed the same person as the wolf, wolf probably loses. If totaldile kills nobody... well, wolf might win as we gang up on totaldile, but that's risky. If totaldile kills the wolf, wolf kill doesn't matter.
    So the wolf should kill me or totaldile, so (if totaldile had no evidence) 50% chance of victory.

But I see totaldile had other reasons for thinking Cao the wolf. I'm glad he kept quiet about them until game ended.

I was fairly sure I had ruled out batcathat as the wolf, but I wasn't sure if it was totaldileplayz or Cao. Leaning Cao, but thought maybe totaldile had played a good, long game.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Who did Book Wombat and Aleph Null target N1?
    Not really relevant to know, but I'm curious.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Who did Book Wombat and Aleph Null target N1?
    Not really relevant to know, but I'm curious.
    Book Wombat targeted you
    Aleph Null targeted Totadileplayz

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Book Wombat targeted you
    Aleph Null targeted Totadileplayz
    I'm laughing at how much that flies in the face of why I thought batcathat was Town, but fortunately it all worked out in the end.
    I get them voiding totaldileplayz. If I were a wolf, I'd be wondering if his statement about a subpar power was really to misdirect from being a seer or something like that.

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm laughing at how much that flies in the face of why I thought batcathat was Town, but fortunately it all worked out in the end.
    I get them voiding totaldileplayz. If I were a wolf, I'd be wondering if his statement about a subpar power was really to misdirect from being a seer or something like that.
    Yeah, Legitimately if the game wouldn't have literally been won by the wolves if Batcathat was a wolf, that wasn't alignment indicative.
    Last edited by totadileplayz; 2021-04-21 at 12:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

So yeah, we had a good Day 1 but when neither of us were around for Day 2 I didn't really expect to win. I wish I could have been around for day 2 (I had some health stuff going on) so even though I planned to be quieter at the beginning when things were going well I would have been around to say something/at least try. Day 2 plan was going to be me switching off near deadline so that we could get a surprise lynch and win but there was no one else to vote. By the time Night 2 rolled around I had hoped I could try to convince totodile not to shoot so I'd have a chance to argue for myself Day 3.

https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/u5sKYPUwHPs

Not much more to say aside from that. I enjoyed the game, just wish we had more players so it would have gone on longer.

20. - Top - End - #110

Planetar

Since there's no rule that multiple teams can't win. It is possible Mafia, and Town could both win. Why? Mafia's win condition is parity, which would be achieved during the night, and Town's victory condition is elimination of Mafia which could have been achieved during the day.
    Last edited by totadileplayz; 2021-04-21 at 01:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Since there's no rule that multiple teams can't win. It is possible Mafia, and Town could both win. Why? Mafia's win condition is parity, which would be achieved during the night, and Town's victory condition is elimination of Mafia which could have been achieved during the day.
    Game typically ends upon one side winning unless I misunderstand you

If mafia got parity in the night and there was no doublevote or dayvig or whatever (there wasn't this game) they'd just win.

Other people who host might disagree but I find the notion of "first to make an x vote wagon" is a bad way to decide wincons

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mafia Chat
    I'm also 90% sure that Jeen will out you as his neighbor just before night ends, if he hasn't done it already.
    If I had been online when Night ended, I was definitely going to do that!
    But, to be honest, while I kept getting an odd vibe from Aleph, I had no reason to suspect him as wolf other than being extra quiet and "this Neighbor things feels funky". Which seems extra strange considering Apogee said we were gonna be Neighbors even if that Role RNGed as Town.

But I've started to try to move away from the "post in case I die" last-minute posts. For one thing, they are stressful to do. For another, it requires a very punctual Narrator to not blow up in my face, and that's unfair to ask the Narrator. (I know I can't be punctual as Narrator. I always give myself at least a +/- 1 hour of the expected deadline.)
    However, even now I'm not 100% if I'm saying this just as pure honest commentary, or to potentially make people anticipate that I won't do this in the future while I intend to. I think both are true.

Other people who host might disagree but I find the notion of "first to make an x vote wagon" is a bad way to decide wincons
    I dislike that way to resolve ties to win the game, too, at least for 1 vs 1 situations*, because it gives undue benefit to happening to be online first.
    However, I admit it felt a bit sour to me to realize that a 1 vs 1 would be a win for the wolves, but that is mostly/only because it benefited the side I wasn't on and felt like a new rule, not just an interpretation of the rules at game-start. But, as someone who has run a game, I can see the need to clarify late-game.
    I'm not complaining or unhappy about it; winning due to RNG or 'who posts first' is kinda a hollow victory, regardless of who wins. As you read in my QuickTopic, it also led to a lot of fun mental convolutions on my part to try to "solve" the game.

*in the Harry Potter game, the wolves thought they had a chance to win if they all and their Neutral buddy posted first to get a wagon on a townie. It would have outted them all as wolves, but they needn't care at that point. It was something like 3 wolf vs 3 town vs 1 neutral.
    So "who posts first" in that situation seems fair, since it includes the work of coordinating all those posters.
    Didn't wind up mattering, since the Neutral (Duck999?) wound up betraying the wolves and joining the town. But it was a cool play.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Want to play another game that's literally exactly like this one, beat-for-beat?

Well, I've got the next best thing, another Mafia game recruiting here.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!