New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Pathfinder Aasimar question

I was reading through the old Pathfinder books recently, and ran across an interesting question that I haven't got a clear answer to, and was hoping a passing adventurer could point me the right direction.

Pathfinder aasimars can be based upon any mortal race (pronounced: any humanoid subtype), but aside from different sizes (small, medium, possibly large) and the attendant changes, they all have the same default abilities. One of the optional racial abilities is called scion of humanity, and represents what 3.5e called 'lesser aasimar,' essentially reverting the native outsider to a humanoid with the human subtype. Does anyone know if you could base this on a different race instead (a scion of elvenkind, for example)?
    Last edited by Skyrender; 2021-04-12 at 06:34 AM.
    Murphy said 'whatever can go wrong, will go wrong'.

I say Murphy was an incurable optimist.

In my experience, even things that can't go wrong... often do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Aasimar question

Lore-wise, it works. In second edition, they made aasimar, tiefling, etc. heritages that could apply to any ancestry (race). The setting isn't supposed to have changed between editions, so in the official lore, yes, you can have elf-imar.

I don't believe I have ever seen official rules for doing so in 1st edition, but house-ruling scion of elf-anity seems reasonably straight-forward.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

The rules for PF1 alternate aasimar are found in Blood of Angels. The sidebar there backs up the opening post:

NON-HUMAN AASIMARS

Not all aasimars are descended from humans. Aasimars can be born of any intelligent race, though human aasimars are the most common...It should be noted that while any creature that breeds with a celestial may give birth to half-celestial offspring, only humanoids can give birth to aasimars.
    Non-human aasimars have the same statistics as human aasimars with the exception of size. Thus a halfling aasimar is Small but otherwise possesses the same statistics and abilities as a human aasimar... Non-human aasimars do not possess any of the racial abilities of their base race.
    As for Scion of Humanity - no such trait exists for elvenkind, dwarvenhood etc., but I don't see an issue with brewing one. As written though, "same statistics and abilities as a human aasimar" indicates that they would be able to take Scion of Humanity, but only count as humans rather than any other humanoid race.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

How about this as an alternative:

Scion of Mortality: Some aasimars’ heavenly ancestry is extremely distant, and not all of these are born to human parents. Pick one humanoid race. An aasimar with this racial trait counts as an outsider (native) and a humanoid of the chosen race (including the appropriate subtype(s)) for any effect related to race, including feat prerequisites and spells that affect humanoids. She begins play knowing the racial language of the chosen race (if any), and can pass for the chosen race without using the Disguise skill. This racial trait replaces the Celestial language and alters the native subtype.
    Murphy said 'whatever can go wrong, will go wrong'.

I say Murphy was an incurable optimist.

In my experience, even things that can't go wrong... often do.