New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: #1231 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    That appears to be something that would be true if you were writing the comic

Since you aren't, I think we'll wait and see

R
    Nope. "Now they just cause concussions." The "just" means that they caused something else, as well as possibly causing concussions.

"I had a diamond and a ruby, now I just have a ruby"
    But you could also say "I used to have a diamond, now I just have a ruby." Which highlights that the ruby is less valuable, not necessarily that you had the ruby before. To use another example, "I used to fly first class, now I just fly coach."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

sigh Re: #1231 - The Discussion Thread

Kill Xykon and then beat Redcloak to within an inch of his life so he'll change his mind?

Yeah, I don't think that's gonna work. Redcloak would proudly go meet the Dark One personally rather than do what some Thor worshipper said.

"You're out of healing spells and potions and down to your last 3HP. Now do as we say and contact your god and tell him to cooperate with Thor!"

That's the plan?
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Odin seems to be having a lucid moment.

I like how the deva functions as a ringtone!
    the deva part made me giggle, it was cute!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I must say I enjoy living in the world where my opinions don’t change when I get punched.
    I wonder if this is a send-up of the dramatic trope (painfully common in shounen-jump manga and anime) where they refuse to discuss their differences (except to "talk with their fists"), and the loser realizes the winner was right.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Kill Xykon and then beat Redcloak to within an inch of his life so he'll change his mind?

Yeah, I don't think that's gonna work. Redcloak would proudly go meet the Dark One personally rather than do what some Thor worshipper said.

"You're out of healing spells and potions and down to your last 3HP. Now do as we say and contact your god and tell him to cooperate with Thor!"

That's the plan?
    It's Roy's current plan. I think Durkon and Thor are moving toward a different plan in the penultimate panel. "... but you cannae truly change someone's mind by hittin' 'em." "Yeah, that's true." For how long will Redcloak's cooperation be needed? And what assurance would he have that he wouldn't be killed after contacting TDO?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

That's the plan?

On the other hand Redcloak probably would be more open to Durkon's proposals once Xykon is destroyed since not only would Redcloak believe his leverage was greatly reduced in such a scenario, but their being willing to negotiate with him even when the Plan is in ruins would show Redcloak that Durkon (and Thor) are being sincere about wanting peace with the goblins and aren't just negotiating with him out of fear of the Plan succeeding.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It's Roy's current plan. I think Durkon and Thor are moving toward a different plan in the penultimate panel. "... but you cannae truly change someone's mind by hittin' 'em." "Yeah, that's true." For how long will Redcloak's cooperation be needed? And what assurance would he have that he wouldn't be killed after contacting TDO?
    Good points.

I would think they have to keep Redcloak alive for trips around the world to visit the other rifts and seal them, but 1) that's just my take and 2) Redcloak probably wouldn't believe that until he saw it.

Personal head-canon: This actually goes a long way toward guaranteeing the PC races can't immediately return to treating goblinoids as XP fodder and/or "clear them out" every time they try for something better than a hardscrabble existence in a wasteland. The world is still made of three colors, so rifts will probably keep opening periodically for millennia to come (and need to be "spot-welded" with the help of a sufficiently-high priest of TDO).
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    Not a bad strip, but I feel a bit... "anticlimaxed"
    I might share the same feeling, but might also be the perfect setup for a Serini-Order-Xykon-Thor parallel happenings :P

Eventually Thor might stretch commune for a bit more time, for the sake of plot?
    Also I would expect he'll ask a confirmative statement 'bout planet in the rift.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drukon
    Ye cannae truly change someone's mind by hittin' 'em.
    Actually there are specific cases where that's not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Existential comics, comic 1043, titletext
    Philosophical ideas that can be refuted by punching:
    1. Moral Nihilism
    2. Moral Relativism
    3. Scepticism about the outside world
    4. Scepticism about causation
    5. Denial of qualia
    6. That violence never accomplishes anything

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah... If it was possible to get people to join you if you hit them on the head, a lot of the most violent people would be kings. All the most unreasonable people would turn everyone else unreasonable... unless you could hit them hard enough on the head.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2021-04-12 at 12:37 PM.
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Yeah... If it was possible to get people to join you if you hit them on the head, a lot of the most violent people would be kings. All the most unreasonable people would turn everyone else unreasonable... unless you could hit them hard enough on the head.
    Which has definitely never happened in the real world. (^_~)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Too bad that Redcloak, even with Warhammer diplomacy, won't change his mind. He has too much invested in his sinking fallacy to invest in other opinions.
    Who knows? Maybe they just haven't used enough warhammer diplomacy.

(To clarify, I don't believe that IS the direction the comic is goint to take... but that it COULD have been a direction the comic could take.)
    "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand, I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the flames of destruction.My name is Hakumen. Your time has come!"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    So, Thor has a special ring tone for Durkon?

Now that is how you know you're special to your God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    That made me chuckle.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #74
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

I like how Thor believes it is possible for Durkon + Minrah to kill Redcloak. He has faith in those that have faith in him, does Thor.

"Warhammer Diplomacy" is best conducted between the Sisters of Battle and the Chaos Knights.

Will Thor be able to tell Durkon about Serani? That really spoils a rogue's fun when their surprise attack is known in advance and planned for.
    I mean, purely from a game perspective, it SHOULD be possible, and even advantageous, for those two to fight and kill Redcloak if we assume Xykon and the MitD are out of the picture. He's higher-level that Durkon, but not so much as to completely outclass him, and the action economy heavily favors the 2 versus one. On a completely non-exhaustive, not-particularly optimised list of things they could do, Durkon could counterspell anything Redcloak attempts to cast while Minrah puts her racial bonuses (and previous fighter levels) to work bashing his unbuffed noggin in with her hammer.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; 2021-04-12 at 12:53 PM.
    "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand, I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the flames of destruction.My name is Hakumen. Your time has come!"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Something about "Durkon, my dude!" cracks me up. Gotta love Thor!

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wonder if it was an anime-esque world?

Thor understands warhammer diplomacy as expected. Still unfortunate, but Redcloak might face the music better once the biggest undead sunk cost is taken care of.

....I don't suppose Jirix would have the level of power needed to cast that spell, would he?
    Last edited by Psychronia; 2021-04-12 at 01:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    I wonder if it was an anime-esque world?

Thor understands warhammer diplomacy as expected. Still unfortunate, but Redcloak might face the music better once the biggest undead sunk cost is taken care of.

....I don't suppose Jirix would have the level of power needed to cast that spell, would he?
    He decidedly does not, and it would be a pretty large cop-out if he did.

18. - Top - End - #78

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    He decidedly does not, and it would be a pretty large cop-out if he did.
    To be fair, he's been off-camera for a while, doing ruler stuff. Might have leveled up.
    Also, recall that Crystal, as Haley's nemesis, leveled up whenever she did, for free (back when the comic was more cheap-D&D-joke oriented). Jirix could, arguably, level up whenever the plot requires it just because.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-04-12 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

19. - Top - End - #79

Lizardfolk

Just a quick note: in the last three comics, the point of views jumped three times (from Serini, to the Order, to Thor).

To be fair, he's been off-camera for a while, doing ruler stuff. Might have leveled up.
    Also, recall that Crystal, as Haley's nemesis, leveled up whenever she did, for free (back when the comic was more cheap-D&D-joke oriented). Jirix could, arguably, level up whenever the plot requires it just because.
    (sarcasm) that's why Jirix stomped the demon roach: to become the person nemesis of roaches who are currently running through epic dungeons! (/sarcasm)
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-04-12 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Editing on the phone is hard

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's the plan?
    when you phrase it like that it sounds worse D:
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Go Hammer, MC Hammer, Warhammer, Thor's Hammer!

22. - Top - End - #82

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    So ... it's Hammer Time?
    I also recall Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em. Maybe foreshadowing?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's the plan?
    This is the same Redcloak who hasn't ever spoken with his god much if at all and does everything he can to avoid confronting his mistakes. He may sabotage the last Gate out of spite if something happens to him.

Of course, there's not too many options I can think of. Redcloak's too dug into his heels and we have no idea what the other forces, like the IFCC, have planned.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's the plan?
    That would not be even sufficient. They need Redcloak to cast a 9th level spell equivalent at the gate... I can imagine quite well what kind of spell would Redcloak cast if being forced to do something against his will
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

25. - Top - End - #85

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    (sarcasm) that's why Jirix stomped the demon roach: to become the person nemesis of roaches who are currently running through epic dungeons! (/sarcasm)
    You're wrong. Jirix will arrive on the back of the young black dragon's green dragon girlfriend as the last Gate unravels, wielding the IFCC's chalice in one hand and Roy's properly-sized boot in the other.

26. - Top - End - #86

XD

The only thing that saved me from spending the next twenty minutes trying to come up with a followup filk line, is knowing that I can't come up with one worthy of that. (^_~)

27. - Top - End - #87

SwashbucklerGuy

Hammer diplomacy is sort of the worst plan, except for all the others. If they succeed, they're not in a very good position to convince Redcloak or TDO to cooperate, but at least they have time to figure out new options. If Redcloak reaches the gate however, a lot of irreversible bad things would happen. They have to stop that no matter what, and beating an epic lich in an ambush is still slightly more likely to work out than trying to reason with a guy willing to resort to omnicide.

28. - Top - End - #88

Two more:

If I had a hammer...

Master, sir, did you just see my MAD SKILLZ!?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I would like to understand why Commune seems way more powerful than the standard rules. We know that spells have to be restricted to their defined uses or else they break the domain agreement. We also know that if gods break the rules, that every other god will notice.

I wonder if it's because Durkon hasn't yet asked a question? The information has mostly been one sided, Durkon to Thor. The rules do not say anything about how long or complicated the question is, just about how short the answers are.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by durron597 View Post
    I would like to understand why Commune seems way more powerful than the standard rules. We know that spells have to be restricted to their defined uses or else they break the domain agreement. We also know that if gods break the rules, that every other god will notice.

I wonder if it's because Durkon hasn't yet asked a question? The information has mostly been one sided, Durkon to Thor. The rules do not say anything about how long or complicated the question is, just about how short the answers are.
    In the Geekery thread, it was proposed that what we're seeing here might not be commune at all, but rather the remote sensing and remote communication divine powers.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.