New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: #1231 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    So ... it's Hammer Time?
    I also recall Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em. Maybe foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    XD

The only thing that saved me from spending the next twenty minutes trying to come up with a followup filk line, is knowing that I can't come up with one worthy of that. (^_~)
    I just noticed that there were a lot of different hammers mentioned in this strip, as well as the song in question, and then it just wrote itself.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    Not a bad strip, but I feel a bit... "anticlimaxed"
    Anything that's not the climax would have to be, at least a little.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Hey, I'm early!

Because I had been checking quite a bit to see if there was an update (by typing in the URL of the next comic just in case my browser wasn't registering an update, this has happened more than once), the website already thought I had checked it out, lol.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roselily2006 View Post
    See, the question is how you choose what to change their mind about. Were there certain spots on the head that correlated to something, say, vegetables, and hitting the spot flipped their opinion?

Is there a spot I can hit to fix that...?
    You're thinking of acu-puncher.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Concerning hitting people on the head until they agree: "If violence wasn't your last resort, you didn't resort to enough of it"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

This depiction of how Commune works, plus Redcloak's admission he's never seen or talked to TDO makes me even more suspicious of whether TDO actually exists, versus Redcloak getting conned by some other god (probably Loki).

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    That would not be even sufficient. They need Redcloak to cast a 9th level spell equivalent at the gate... I can imagine quite well what kind of spell would Redcloak cast if being forced to do something against his will
    Let me guess ... Implosion? Just maybe?

So what this means is that the Order need to goad Redcloak into casting Implosion on someone or something that can survive it and absorb the magical potential of the spell, then dump said magical power into whatever ritual is used to seal the rifts and/or the Snarl's improved prison.

5e has the Rod of Absorption that could arguably do that, does 3.5e have any equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ochotona View Post
    This depiction of how Commune works, plus Redcloak's admission he's never seen or talked to TDO makes me even more suspicious of whether TDO actually exists, versus Redcloak getting conned by some other god (probably Loki).
    We have seen other deities openly admit to the Dark One's existence, including ones who are antagonistic to him, and enough of the godly pantheons have had interactions with the Dark One over the centuries/millennia that there's a lot more evidence in favour of the Dark One existing than against the same.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2021-04-12 at 05:56 PM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Let me guess ... Implosion? Just maybe?

So what this means is that the Order need to goad Redcloak into casting Implosion on someone or something that can survive it and absorb the magical potential of the spell, then dump said magical power into whatever ritual is used to seal the rifts and/or the Snarl's improved prison.
    It's not that they need him to cast a 9th level spell, they need him to put the equivalent power of a 9th level spell into a specific ritual to strengthen the Gates.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

We have seen other deities openly admit to the Dark One's existence, including ones who are antagonistic to him, and enough of the godly pantheons have had interactions with the Dark One over the centuries/millennia that there's a lot more evidence in favour of the Dark One existing than against the same.
    Per strip #1142 and #1143, virtually everything we know about TDO's relationship with other deities comes from Thor, and Thor's knowledge mostly comes from Loki--the literal god of lies and deceit. Those strips explicitly mention that many other gods are skeptical of TDO's existence. And in Thor's image of him confronting TDO, Loki plus Rat and Tiamat are present for some unexplained reason--jointly maintaining an illusion, perhaps?

Its getting awfully fishy that neither we the readers nor any character are getting firsthand scenes with TDO, just flashbacks and references. I smell a twist.

10. - Top - End - #100

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roselily2006 View Post
    See, the question is how you choose what to change their mind about. Was it a thing where you thought really hard about the opinion you wanted them to have? Were there certain spots on the head that correlated to something, say, vegetables, and hitting the spot flipped their opinion?

I'm probably overthinking it.

Is there a spot I can hit to fix that...?
    Sounds like Terry Pratchett’s idea of retro phrenology
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

"When all you have is a nail," would have been beautiful if he said Nale.

12. - Top - End - #102

Lizardfolk

Well! Good to know that the gods know? Still looking forward to how persuading redcloak turns out..
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Per strip #1142 and #1143, virtually everything we know about TDO's relationship with other deities comes from Thor, and Thor's knowledge mostly comes from Loki--the literal god of lies and deceit. Those strips explicitly mention that many other gods are skeptical of TDO's existence. And in Thor's image of him confronting TDO, Loki plus Rat and Tiamat are present for some unexplained reason--jointly maintaining an illusion, perhaps?

Its getting awfully fishy that neither we the readers nor any character are getting firsthand scenes with TDO, just flashbacks and references. I smell a twist.
    Except for Jirix having met The Dark One and Thor himself about to fight The Dark One before Loki talked him down as we saw .

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    Except for Jirix having met The Dark One and Thor himself about to fight The Dark One before Loki talked him down as we saw .
    Jirix's report back from the afterlife is a legit point in favor of TDO existing, but even that is weirdly indirect.

The Thor attack on the TDO in 1143 isn't shown directly, it's just Thor's illustration; and as I noted above the presence of Rat and Tiamat at the confrontation is unexplained and suspicious. Why are they there? How would they even know that Thor was planning an attack, and why isn't their presence commented on?
    (Also suspicious but perhaps irrelevant: purple just happens to be the color you'd get from blending Rat's blue and Tiamat's red quiddities.)

The story told in 1143 is very, vey suspicious to my eye, and getting moreso as the story progresses.

15. - Top - End - #105

GreataxeFighterGirl

Jirix's report back from the afterlife is a legit point in favor of TDO existing, but even that is weirdly indirect.

The Thor attack on the TDO in 1143 isn't shown directly, it's just Thor's illustration; and as I noted above the presence of Rat and Tiamat at the confrontation is unexplained and suspicious. Why are they there? How would they even know that Thor was planning an attack, and why isn't their presence commented on?
    It's an illustration because Thor is doing some mini-illusion to show Durkon and Minrah what actually happened. It's as directly shown as you can get. Loki was there to stop Thor from killing the Dark One.

(Also suspicious but perhaps irrelevant: purple just happens to be the color you'd get from blending Rat's blue and Tiamat's red quiddities.)
    Indeed, it's irrelevant. The color of the quiddity is merely a byproduct of their divine power. Gods can't create other gods, and certainly not ones of different quiddities, else they would have done it long ago to seal up the rifts permanently.

16. - Top - End - #106

SwashbucklerGuy

The story told in 1143 is very, vey suspicious to my eye, and getting moreso as the story progresses.
    If Loki & co were able to fake a deity well enough to fool the other gods for thousands of years, and create a whole religion and an afterlife and supply all those fake clerics with spells, why would they have trouble communing with Redcloak?

I definitely agree that Loki lied about his interaction with TDO. Possibly notable is that between them they have a representative of each quiddity.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    If Loki & co were able to fake a deity well enough to fool the other gods for thousands of years
    From the information we're given in #1143, the amount of contact between TDO and the rest of the gods is actually very limited. After Thor's initial attack--in which, as far as we're shown in Thor's illustrations, he's never alone against TDO--Loki is the sole point of contact for the northern pantheon, and claims to have all contact cut off. Tiamat's the only point of contact for the western pantheon. We're not told whether any of the southern pantheon has met TDO, but we are told that Rat is discouraging negotiations. All pretty consistent with hinkiness from Loki+Tiamat+Rat.

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    why would they have trouble communing with Redcloak?
    This is a fair point, but I think it's plausible that it'd be hard for Loki et al. to successfully maintain a illusion of a deity, especially against their own high-level cleric. Hence a decision to duck all contact, as they've been doing with the other gods.

18. - Top - End - #108

Saying that Loki is lying about his contacts with TDO suggests that Loki, Rat, Tiamat and TDO are conspiring together. And hence implying that Loki's actions thwarting Hel are because they need more time? Still, if this secret cabal is responsible, via 4-quiddity efforts, for the planet in the rifts, there must be more to it than getting away with it. Maybe the fact that they designed it w/o interference from the gods of good and neutrality? It seems like it could possibly shield the pantheons from the snarl's rampages, meaning that TDO (and Hel!) will readily survive the transition.

Against this idea, the rift's reaction when Vector Legion's psion (Laurin) probed it.

So maybe the plan was for RC to provoke the destruction of this world, somehow forcing the pantheons to use the already-installed planet in the rifts? Because w/o the cooperation of Purple Quiddity, they maybe cannot destroy it? If that were the case, RC has cause to be really, really pissed at his patron!

Yeah, that's unlikely, but speculation can be fun. And it might explain why TDO hasn't been more chatty with his high priest.

(If you mean TDO doesn't exist, and is a ploy by Loki, Rat, and Tiamat, their game makes no sense at all and doesn't even explain anything. Especially that fact that Thor specifically confronted TDO, by his own testimony.)
    Last edited by Windscion; 2021-04-12 at 09:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    (If you mean TDO doesn't exist, and is a ploy by Loki, Rat, and Tiamat, their game makes no sense at all and doesn't even explain anything. Especially that fact that Thor specifically confronted TDO, by his own testimony.)
    Dunno, tricking goblinkind into securing a gate for you, without the other gods realizing you're behind the scheme and moving to stop you, seems like the sort of thing Loki would have both an interest in and aptitude for.

I do agree that the plausibility of this theory turns on Loki/Tiamat/Rat being able to deceive Thor with illusions during his attempted attack. But we haven't really gotten any information from the strips about whether that sort of god-vs-god successful illusions are possible/plausible.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Dunno, tricking goblinkind into securing a gate for you, without the other gods realizing you're behind the scheme and moving to stop you, seems like the sort of thing Loki would have both an interest in and aptitude for.
    If the three of them are conspiring, then what is their goal? Why hasn't Loki said 'Nah, risks are too much', rather than 'Lets take a chance to solve this problem forever' (when the latter could not work because no TDO)? What, exactly, do these three gain by continuing to be playing this game when they all know that the ritual is far too long for the gods to allow it to finish (without the foreknowledge that they'd get locked in a godsmoot, as this was before the vote - I'm talking about the stance immediately before the vote).

It's a nice hypothesis, but I don't feel like it's got a tangible endpoint for Loki et al. that's consistent with their actions.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    You're wrong. Jirix will arrive on the back of the young black dragon's green dragon girlfriend as the last Gate unravels, wielding the IFCC's chalice in one hand and Roy's properly-sized boot in the other.
    That can't be right, I don't see how Redclock's niece fits into this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I have been listening to The Weavers a lot lately, and now this is stuck in my head again.
    Last edited by Mariele; 2021-04-12 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Kill Xykon and then beat Redcloak to within an inch of his life so he'll change his mind?

Yeah, I don't think that's gonna work. Redcloak would proudly go meet the Dark One personally rather than do what some Thor worshipper said.

"You're out of healing spells and potions and down to your last 3HP. Now do as we say and contact your god and tell him to cooperate with Thor!"

That's the plan?
    Actually, the threat to Redcloak is more serious than that: we'll kill you and rip up your deity's artifact, so their plan is foiled. (I doubt anybody can learn the divine casting without the cloak, and I'll assume creating artifacts is not something a god does every day.) I'm not saying it's a way to get goodwill, but it is a threat that Redcloak would take much more seriously than death.

ETA: If that does not count as "screwing up", I don't know what does. So the meeting would not go proudly.
    Last edited by Corian; 2021-04-12 at 10:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feruk View Post
    If the three of them are conspiring, then what is their goal?
    A high-level goal of "control a gate and dominate the other gods" seems perfectly in keeping with what we know of Loki, Rat, and Tiamat's character.

Why hasn't Loki said 'Nah, risks are too much', rather than 'Lets take a chance to solve this problem forever' (when the latter could not work because no TDO)?
    If TDO is actually a long con by Loki et al., of course he's going to urge the other gods to keep trying to negotiate, rather than blow up the world (and along with it his current scheme.) Loki 100% has been established as a character who would violate the god's rules about the snarl and gamble with the world's souls if he thought he stood to personally gain.

What, exactly, do these three gain by continuing to be playing this game when they all know that the ritual is far too long for the gods to allow it to finish (without the foreknowledge that they'd get locked in a godsmoot, as this was before the vote - I'm talking about the stance immediately before the vote).
    What they planned to do to stop the gods from remaking the world long enough for Redcloak to get the ritual off is a good question that I don't have a solid theory for. Seems like a surmountable problem though--and it may end up being that Loki was manipulating the Hel-Godsmoot events to create the sort of deadlock that would let their TDO-Redcloak plan proceed.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

So how much of this is idle I-don’t-really-expect-this-to-be-right speculation and how much is “I hate Redcloak so I want to drop a bridge on him”?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

We're too late in the story to have such a late- revealed, fundamental fact (that gods can't do anything quiddity-wise outside their own color) prove to be false.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    So how much of this is idle I-don’t-really-expect-this-to-be-right speculation and how much is “I hate Redcloak so I want to drop a bridge on him”?
    If you're talking to me, I know "TDO is a con by Loki et al" would be a big twist, but it fits well with both the information we've been given and resolves a bunch of meta-textual issues (explains why Loki is getting so much strip time and ties him in to the main plot, explains why Hilgya was reintroduced when she wasn't that necessary from a plot or characterization standpoint, provides a dramatically satisfying comeuppance for Redcloak).

I like Redcloak as a character a lot; he's perhaps one of the most interesting in the entire strip. But any resolution that involves him changing his mind imo would be very inconsistent with his prior behavior and not very satisfying. On the other hand, a resolution in which Redcloak, having made so many sacrifices, finally overcomes Xykon and the Order, only to learn he's been duped the entire time? Juicy, and in Burlew's style for villain climaxes.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I... what? How does that make a good story when at least half the buildup so far would be completely for nothing?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I... what? How does that make a good story when at least half the buildup so far would be completely for nothing?
    I don't see how that would make any of the buildup "for nothing". The nature of the snarl and gates still matters, Xykon plan still matters, the Order's efforts to stop Xykon/ the world from being remade still matter, quiddity still matters (although it'd mean the fourth quiddity wouldn't be coming from TDO), the IFCC's plots re V still matter, etc.

The only plot threads it really upends are Redcloak's and Loki/Thor/Hel's, and it does so in an interesting, dramatic way that's consistent with the hints we've been given and the characterization of Redcloak and Loki.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    That can't be right, I don't see how Redclock's niece fits into this at all.
    Her hiding idea was to get polymorphed into a green dragon.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see how that would make any of the buildup "for nothing". The nature of the snarl and gates still matters, Xykon plan still matters, the Order's efforts to stop Xykon/ the world from being remade still matter, quiddity still matters (although it'd mean the fourth quiddity wouldn't be coming from TDO), the IFCC's plots re V still matter, etc.

The only plot threads it really upends are Redcloak's and Loki/Thor/Hel's, and it does so in an interesting, dramatic way that's consistent with the hints we've been given and the characterization of Redcloak and Loki.
    The gods have had billions, maybe even trillions of years to figure this out. The purple quiddity being a mix of Rat's and Tiamat's makes no sense because the reason TDO's quiddity is so valuable is because the current pantheons only have three and the Snarl has four. Like seriously, this is Order of the Stick, not Loki And Co. Con The Multiverse.

Extended sig here.