New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Favorite Invocations?

What are your favorite warlock Invocations either from the class itself or the feat?

Any fun stories of how they helped?

I'm partial to Sculptor of Flesh on my celestial warlock. That I can pick up a fallen ally as a bonus action then polymorph them into a scary creature like a T Rex or a giant ape or elk is a great turn of fate.
    Last edited by Verble; 2021-04-12 at 11:04 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Invocations?

Misty Visions on Eldritch Adept for an Illusionist Wizard. It finally lets me play the Illusionist Wizard without wishing I was a Warlock until level 11.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verble View Post
    I'm partial to Sculptor of Flesh on my celestial warlock. That I can pick up a fallen ally as a bonus action then polymorph them into a scary creature like a T Rex or a giant ape or elk is a great turn of fate.
    Just so you know, polymorph has been errata'd so it no longer works on a creature at 0 hit points.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Just so you know, polymorph has been errata'd so it no longer works on a creature at 0 hit points.
    That’s why they use the Celestial Warlock bonus action healing first.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I’m a sucker for the at-will, no-slot casting. Eldritch Sight, Mask, Levitate, Speak with Dead, etc. So much utility and flavor, so few resources expended...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mask of Many Faces is very fun and useful.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by msfnc View Post
    My bad. I misinterpreted the picking-up part.

I’m a sucker for the at-will, no-slot casting. Eldritch Sight, Mask, Levitate, Speak with Dead, etc. So much utility and flavor, so few resources expended...
    Me too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I like using Misty Visions to make creatures, plus Minor Illusion for the sound effects.
    Im dissapointed there aren't more at-will infinite use invocations.
    I despise the once per long rest invocations, except for the one that makes undead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Yep, that's on my Warlock to do list next time she levels up ...
    The pact of chain invoc at level 15, if you get there, is IMO nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Mask of Many Faces is very fun and useful.
    yes
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keep in mind that I play in a pretty high magic game, but even then its hard to overstate how useful at will Detect Magic has been on my Warlock/Fighter.

Just think about how often you see something weird or unusual and you have to wonder, "Is this a thing? Or just set dressing." You're not going to wait 10 minutes every time you run across a threatening statue or a mysterious glyph. Same thing if you're getting a weird vibe from someone and want to see if they're enchanted, or transformed or under an illusion. Same thing if you're searching for the good treasure and don't have all day, or if you're worried about magical traps.

When I started my character I only had two invocations and picked Eldritch Sight and Book of Ancient Secrets. I leveled up and switched ES to Agonizing Blast - I figured, "I've got this as a Ritual, that's good enough." It was not, in fact, good enough. I regretted it immediately and picked Eldritch Sight up again the next chance I could. A lot of that was just that my character concept really needed Eldtirch Sight to feel like it worked (he's a detective that solves magical crimes) but, still, it was noticeable.
    Last edited by solidork; 2021-04-12 at 02:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Not sure it's a favorite, but we have a 10th level fiend warlock that's used Tomb of Levistus a couple of times. It took some hits and he would've been down without it (he fell after the ice melted one of those times). It wasn't one I'd ever really take, but it's certainly different and he's enjoyed using it.

The invocation in question:
    Tomb of Levistus
    Prerequisite: 5th level

As a reaction when you take damage, you can entomb yourself in ice, which melts away at the end of your next turn. You gain 10 temporary hit points per warlock level, which take as much of the triggering damage as possible. Immediately after you take the damage, you gain vulnerability to fire damage, your speed is reduced to 0, and you are incapacitated. These effects, including any remaining temporary hit points, all end when the ice melts.

Once you use this invocation, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
    Edit: LOL, field =/= fiend
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2021-04-12 at 03:14 PM.
    Emongnome

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Misty Visions on Eldritch Adept for an Illusionist Wizard. It finally lets me play the Illusionist Wizard without wishing I was a Warlock until level 11.
    Simple and genius solution to illusion wizards lacking that real flavor.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My top ones are Ghostly Gaze, Misty Visions, Whispers of the Grave and Mask of Many Faces/Master of Myriad Forms. They're pretty much all utility but they heavily reward creativity, giving you a bunch of new tricks you can do especially if your Warlock is prone to abusing power.

Honorable mention to Book of shadows because it's also really good.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14

Lizardfolk

Devil's sight is nice, as is eldritch sight and mask of many faces.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Agonizing blast. BWHAHAHAHAHA

16. - Top - End - #16

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    Agonizing blast. BWHAHAHAHAHA
    Yeah just have all of the eldritch blast things, blast people back with extra damage from 600ft away!!
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Yeah just have all of the eldritch blast things, blast people back with extra damage from 600ft away!!
    Especially as a Dao Genielock with Spike Growth, so that each hit can do d10+4d4+5 (20.5) damage as you blast enemies back into the Spike Growth. Then they take MORE damage crossing it again.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Especially as a Dao Genielock with Spike Growth, so that each hit can do d10+4d4+5 (20.5) damage as you blast enemies back into the Spike Growth. Then they take MORE damage crossing it again.
    And if they begin to run away you can pull 'em back into the spikes!!
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I had an Arcane Trickster with a dip in warlock that made great use of Mask of Many Faces combined with the friends cantrips to change appearance and evade the anger of the target turning hostile. He would often change shape on a whim and the party learned to recognize it was him by his distinctive tattoos and telepathic communication.

The invocation opens so many doors for deception, even in the middle of a dungeon.

I also took Devil's Sight on him but I didn't like using the darkness spell as it often screwes over my teammates, and the party rarely had me scout ahead alone. All in all I didn't get much use out of it.

I did like Eyes of the Rune Keeper but you really need DM buy in the make that ability feel useful.

I love the at will Invocations and wish we got to choose more or that the EB ones weren't in such high demand. I honestly wish more classes were alla carte like the warlock, though perhaps more balanced.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Keep in mind that I play in a pretty high magic game, but even then its hard to overstate how useful at will Detect Magic has been on my Warlock/Fighter.

Just think about how often you see something weird or unusual and you have to wonder, "Is this a thing? Or just set dressing." You're not going to wait 10 minutes every time you run across a threatening statue or a mysterious glyph. Same thing if you're getting a weird vibe from someone and want to see if they're enchanted, or transformed or under an illusion. Same thing if you're searching for the good treasure and don't have all day, or if you're worried about magical traps.

When I started my character I only had two invocations and picked Eldritch Sight and Book of Ancient Secrets. I leveled up and switched ES to Agonizing Blast - I figured, "I've got this as a Ritual, that's good enough." It was not, in fact, good enough. I regretted it immediately and picked Eldritch Sight up again the next chance I could. A lot of that was just that my character concept really needed Eldtirch Sight to feel like it worked (he's a detective that solves magical crimes) but, still, it was noticeable.
    I've got to agree with this one. I might not take Eldritch Sight if I know that there's going to be a wizard in the party who can use Detect Magic as a ritual (because invocation slots are a limited and valuable resource), but if I don't know that then I'll take Eldritch Sight pretty much every time.

If I'm going chain-pact then I'll usually go for Voice of the Chain Master too. This one is almost entirely for role-playing purposes, but I just love the idea that I can talk to my familiar regardless of distance. It's useful if the party splits up and my familiar accompanies the half of the party I'm not in, or if the familiar is flying off to scout something, but to be honest the role-playing benefit is the main thing I like it for.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did not play warlock, but cloak of flies seems very flavorful and very cool imagery for a darker type of warlock like fiend or hexblade. Always wanted to make an intimidation with that on.

Beyond that repelling blast seems really neat, especially on sorlock who can make a ton of beams in one turn.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    I like using Misty Visions to make creatures, plus Minor Illusion for the sound effects.
    Im dissapointed there aren't more at-will infinite use invocations.
    I despise the once per long rest invocations, except for the one that makes undead.
    The Animate Dead one does at least make sense, although it's still pretty bad, as you are forced to cast it without using a spell slot, meaning that you can't upcast it. To make matters worse, because you can only cast it once per long rest, you can only have up to one skeleton or zombie under your control at a time (instead of the 4 minions per daily (upkeep) casting that most other casters can keep under their thrall), since you can't animate a new undead creature on the same day that you extend the duration of your control over your existing one(s). Remember, you can only take 1 long rest per 24 hours.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2021-04-13 at 05:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

I am like that for basically any class feature that is once per long rest; It just evokes the old too-awesome-to-use feeling, so ends up sitting unused.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    The Animate Dead one does at least make sense, although it's still pretty bad, as you are forced to cast it without using a spell slot, meaning that you can't upcast it. To make matters worse, because you can only cast it once per long rest, you can only have up to one skeleton or zombie under your control at a time (instead of the 4 minions per daily (upkeep) casting that most other casters can keep under their thrall), since you can't animate a new undead creature on the same day that you extend the duration of your control over your existing one(s). Remember, you can only take 1 long rest per 24 hours.
    Ok, that just sucks.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGirl

My Celestial 'lock got a lot of mileage out of Beast Speech of all things, given the amount of time we spent wilderness. We even had a Druid in the party, but wild beasts often won't want to stick around for 10 minutes while you chant at them (ritual casting) just so you can speak to them after. MoMF was also great, as many have said before, especially when you're a Tabaxi not trying to draw attention in human-dominant towns and cities.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95 View Post
    My Celestial 'lock got a lot of mileage out of Beast Speech of all things, given the amount of time we spent wilderness. We even had a Druid in the party, but wild beasts often won't want to stick around for 10 minutes while you chant at them (ritual casting) just so you can speak to them after. MoMF was also great, as many have said before, especially when you're a Tabaxi not trying to draw attention in human-dominant towns and cities.
    It is a paradox that warlocks get beast speech and druids need to use spell slots for that. I would give all druids the ability to speak to animals at will in my games. I think there's a subclass of druid that gets this too... Shepherd maybe?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Ok, that just sucks.
    It's depressing, that's for sure. But the goal was to prevent the short rest recharge from making warlocks better than any other necromancer.

That said, there is a limited way around it: spell scrolls. The warlock can even make them, himself, since he has the spell. Use them to animate your zombies initially, and then maintain control with the daily spell. It's STILL not as good as it should be.

Really, the Invocation should probably have just let you control some number of undead that you can replenish at will (provided the corpses are present).

Undying Servitude
    When you kill a humanoid creature, you may force it to remain animate as a zombie under your control. You may also use an action to animate a humanoid corpse or pile of humanoid bones as a zombie or skeleton under your control. These undead remain bound to your will until you choose to release them. You cannot have more than four undead under your control in this fashion at a time. If you create a fifth, you may cause one of the others to collapse into a lifeless husk, or release it to continue acting on its own lifeless urges.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

As a DM my least favorite invocation is Eyes of the Runekeeper. No more thematic, decorative runes on weapons and gates and whatnot unless you are prepared to answer "what does it say?"
    As a player Misty Visions and Mask of Many Faces are pure gold.

I always point this one out, since it makes them best in Actual Necromancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Really, the Invocation should probably have just let you control some number of undead that you can replenish at will (provided the corpses are present).

Undying Servitude
    When you kill a humanoid creature, you may force it to remain animate as a zombie under your control. You may also use an action to animate a humanoid corpse or pile of humanoid bones as a zombie or skeleton under your control. These undead remain bound to your will until you choose to release them. You cannot have more than four undead under your control in this fashion at a time. If you create a fifth, you may cause one of the others to collapse into a lifeless husk, or release it to continue acting on its own lifeless urges.
    All of the mechanics, none of the spell. Which also means they cannot make animate dead scrolls. A fair trade, I think.
    Alternatively, you could leave the animate dead, but then add a provision to the invocation where the undead remain under your control (limit 4) until you 'release' them.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Houster View Post
    It is a paradox that warlocks get beast speech and druids need to use spell slots for that. I would give all druids the ability to speak to animals at will in my games. I think there's a subclass of druid that gets this too... Shepherd maybe?
    Yeah, but it's kind of only one channel.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society