New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default The Art of Combat - Strategy and Tactics for Intelligent and/or Organized Enemies

It can be difficult to challenge player-characters (or other entities with their level of power). You are running a game, and you know that it shouldn't be possible (or at least not easy) for your PCs to storm a castle and demand an audience with the king by literally slaughtering everyone who gets in the way on their way to the throne room. But, it can be difficult to think on the spot for how the intelligently organized forces arrayed against the PCs should respond to the level of power that the PCs can bring to bear.

So, I want to write up a collection of notes and thoughts on how intelligently organized NPCs would realistically respond to the threat of PCs or other small-ish groups of potent individuals (a mated pair of dragons, a coven of hags and their minotaur bodyguards, or whatever). I also want to encourage others to add their own thoughts regarding how an intelligently organized group of NPCs would react to PCs.

In dealing with these strategies, we must always consider the costs to the organization in question, which are frequently quite different from the costs that the PCs typically have to consider. An organization of NPCs has to think about Money, Bodies, Morale, and Information, as well as the other common in-combat resources like Hit Points, AC, Actions, and Recharge Abilities / Spell Slots.

I should also mention that these strategies are not meant to be fair. Most of D&D is played against opponents who are not like this. These strategies are here for the sake of verisimilitude. It is simply unreasonable to expect that a D&D military or thieves' guild or whatever will not have considered dangers like those that the PCs represent. In my games, intelligent and organized foes are far more scary than just another 20-foot-tall monster. And, I think my players know that it would be a bad plan to fight against the church and its knights whereas they're perfectly fine attacking a wandering monster five CR above their level.

If you choose to implement some of these strategies for actual foes that your player characters might face, I recommend that you warn your players in-game. In an easier encounter, let the players see the organization of the NPCs in action. Hell, have it happen while they're allies! Have a grizzled veteran tell the players of the tactics that the hobgoblin army uses. It becomes a part of the contour of the decision landscape when the players know that they will not survive a pitched battle against these foes. Instead, they will turn to other avenues for dealing with the threat.

When the PCs are an unknown foe
    Every effort should be to remedy this and turn the PCs into a known foe.

Know Thy Enemy
    A big part of being able to respond with the necessary amount of force to defeat your opponent is knowing A) that opponent is there, and B) how much force is actually required? The worst case scenario for any engagement is to lose resources without improving the odds for future engagements in some way. Knowing at least the general dynamic for the PC group is critically important for countering them. This comes down to the NPCs figuring out things like PC classes and party roles. A critical component of an organized anti-PC-level strategy is information-gathering. Having access to divinations is important enough to keep such diviners in positions of strength. Once a the PCs are identified, simply having them followed so that you know where they are at all times is a critical part of planning against them. No action against the PCs should be attempted before knowing what they can do, where they are, and how strong they are.

Fall Back to Organize
    All strategies should be designed in such a way that if an engagement goes badly, then at least the organization must learn something about how to conduct the engagement differently in the future.
    Every soldier should be trained to evaluate when an opponent is acting in an obviously-superhuman capacity. Soldiers who were not expecting such foes should be under standing orders to scatter and retreat. Sudden attack by spellcasters should trigger this response immediately! Monsters should trigger this response immediately. Facing an opponent who can lift a castle portcullis on his own should trigger this response immediately. A large force should trigger this response immediately. A group of rank-and-file soldiers is not prepared to deal with such threats without being specifically organized to do so. Heroism in the face of overwhelming odds is actively detrimental to the organization unless in a last-stand sort of scenario.

Multiple Power-Bases
    The intelligently organized NPC organization does not keep all of its strength in one place. If all of its strength is in one place, then it doesn't have the ability to extend its power beyond its own holdings! Better would be to have 40% of the organization out and leveraging its power, and the remaining 60% centralized in three groups of 20% each! The 40% that's 'out and about' retreats immediately when faced with PC level power (since it's fractured into tiny groups). They alert one or more power bases. The alerted power bases make sure to alert the other bases. All of the bases then proceed to watch the PCs via stealth or magic. If the PCs act offensively, then the attacked power base digs in while the other two sortie to its aid. In doing this, the group can bring a disproportionately large amount of its resources to bear against the PCs in a fairly short time.

Nested Strong Points
    All fortifications should be designed so that the outer fortifications can be observed directly from the inner fortifications, and any situation in which this is not the case (sudden fogs or darkness) should be considered a time of high alert or outright attack. When there is a disturbance at a fortification, then a small portion of each guarding force should retreat to alert the defenses. Furthermore, all fortified access points, such as gatehouses, should be designed with at least two contingents of guards observing it, each physically separate from one another (one group on the ground and the other on the wall, or one group in front of the portcullis and the other behind the portcullis, or something like that). The control of the access point should be granted to the more protected group (i.e. the gate controls should be inside the walls, dummy!). It is also important to have strong points to slow down or dissuade PCs who give chase to the scattering defenders.

When the PCs are adequately known
    It is now possible for a force to be brought to bear against them.

Double-Tap and Recovery-Prevention in General
    Intelligent NPCs recognize that PCs can get back up after dropping them. They don't allow them to do this by spending a turn's actions delivering a coup de grace to a downed PC. Organized NPCs may actually have their conscripts and less-well-trained troops support the elites in battle by moving in exclusively to do this. If a PC is down and resists the coup de grace, then the conscripts may have orders to simply surround the downed PC, preventing healing from coming to them as easily. Covering downed PCs with obstructions can allow noncombatants to serve a useful role. The obstructions prevent healers from being able to touch or see their downed ally, which can shut down the possibility of bringing them back into the fight. Extremely well armored PCs covered with obstructions can continue to have more things layered atop them until they are smothered or outright crushed to death--no attack roll required.

Actions and Elites
    Any organized force should recognize that in any situation in which two allies are varyingly-effective in terms of attacks, having the less-effective one use a Help action to provide advantage to the attack of the better one is generally more efficacious than having each attack independently. A hobgoblin bruiser paired with a goblin conscript should have the goblin continually use the Help action to aid the hobgoblin in landing his greataxe attack rather than the goblin attacking independently for scimitar damage. Similarly, a highly valuable elite should be protected defensively in this way as well, with the Help action being used to provide disadvantage to attack rolls against them. The choice of one or the other should depend on whether or not the unit is engaged as a delaying tactic (disadvantage to PC attack) or as a spearhead (advantage to NPC attack).

One resource that the organization has in spades is bodies with which to perform actions. Some of the most effective actions that can be performed are simple and don't do any damage.

Break the Dynamic
    If the dynamic of the group is to have a PC or two concentrate on important spells, then ambushes should be laid for those spells. Elites should reveal themselves to provoke the spellcasters into casting their concentration spells. Once they have done so, units of ranged attackers and area attackers should reveal themselves to hit those mages while the Elites retreat. In general, when the PCs' full might is brought to bear, scatter and retreat.

Trap the Skirmishers
    If there are any highly mobile PCs whose role it is to move forward to engage soft targets, then when they are overextended, the entire might of the engaging force should be brought to bear against them. Surround them if possible. Grapple them if possible. The only exception is that elites and support casters should be used to keep the other PCs from coming to the aid of their overextended ally.

Flexible Defense
    A force that regularly retreats can lay some excellent ambushes by beginning with a retreat. Draw out the faster PCs and cut them off by having flanking forces separate them. Turning a retreat into a counterattack is an excellent way to show how savvy these NPCs are.

Victory in Detail
    When a PC is exposed, always bring all available might against them. Even if the PCs are too strong when all of them are up and acting, they can be brought low one at a time if the entire strength of the NPC force is arrayed against them one at a time.

Spellcasters are Dangerous
    When an enemy spellcaster is identified, the NPCs should break formation and move from cover to cover, to help with Dexterity saving throws. A small contingent (maybe one for every five combatants) should be held in reserve to prevent mass effects like Hypnotic Pattern. This is the best use that I have come up with for a high level Sun Soul monk, who can damage huge groups for only a little damage, thus lifting such spells that are broken by damaging effects. If something like Hypnotic Pattern does shut down an entire unit, then the contingent moves forward and shakes people out of the spell. This is a good use for conscripts.

If you must engage in a pitched battle that involves a powerful enemy spellcaster, then at least a few ranged combatants should be tasked with shooting that spellcaster every turn. If they cast the Shield spell, which is probably a visible effect, then the archers switch to the next target until their next volley. This will constantly threaten Concentration, which is important. If the NPCs have access to fairly inexpensive AOE damage, then subjecting the caster to any damage at all, turn after turn, is an effective use of that special support unit.

If Desperate, Make Sacrifices
    Separating the weak PCs from the resilient PCs can be done, and is useful. Sometimes the best way to do this is to regularly engage the strong PCs with weak NPCs who will take a hit, explode, and absorb one of the PCs' attacks or actions. Such distractions should be Dodging to prolong their tactical effect. They should form a literal wall between the strong PC and their weaker companions. You can turn and engage the strong PC after their companions are dead.

Play the Attrition Game where the PCs are Weak
    If the intelligently organized group of NPCs is doing what is best for themselves, they will be keeping tabs on where the PCs are. If the PCs suddenly disappear, then bring in a support unit to cast Dispel Magic wherever they last were seen (pesky Rope Tricks...) while supported by whatever great strength you can muster. If the PCs disappear into a dome of opaque energy, then don't go near without cover. Push or build cover around the dome. Prepare for them to come out. They will have to come out. The point here is don't let the PCs recover while they are in your domain of strength! All the lives you sacrificed lowering their hit points and spending those spell slots will be wasted if you let them recover!

Let the Environment Be Your Weapon
    If the PCs hunker down in a way that cannot be breached, don't dive headfirst into their trap. Use the environment to fight for you. If the PCs have hunkered down in a cave with their Big Scary Fighter in front, protecting the mages while they recover, behind a barricade and with only a single way in toward him, don't send your soldiers in. Pour in a lot of water. Build a fire and fill the cave with smoke. Collapse the entrance. Any enemy that is stationary for a long period of time has lost the initiative and will lose in the end. The more they cut off your approaches, the more they cut off their own escape.
    Last edited by LumenPlacidum; 2021-04-13 at 11:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: The Art of Combat - Strategy and Tactics for Intelligent and/or Organized Enemies

Placeholder if I need another post.

I also want to point out that having NPCs with tactics like these are how you scare the players. This is how you turn an opponent into Tucker's Kobolds. The party isn't supposed to be able to fight against this; at least, not without significant planning. What sorts of advice do you have for the dastardly NPC organization?

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: The Art of Combat - Strategy and Tactics for Intelligent and/or Organized Enemies

I am sympathetic to these goals, and I was excited to read the intro, but I guess the thing that turned me off was that there was a LOT of emphasis on enemies who are out to get the PCs specifically, whereas I'm more interested in ways that organized enemies will be out to get each other (so the players can run into THOSE preparations and be challenged without feeling like the DM is harrassing them unfairly).

Edit: OP has been edited, my initial impression as written here no longer holds.

For example, I totally agree that an enemy force should be partially dispersed to hold territory but with a large mobile reserve. Implication for players: delaying for a long rest after an initial attack should usually result in enemy reinforcements arriving. Counterplay: players should make an initial strike elsewhere before their team target to draw reinforcements in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-04-13 at 12:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Sorry, when I say "the PCs" what I really mean is any small group of potent individuals on PC levels of power. That could be other NPCs with class levels, a pair of dragons, a coven of hags, a powerful cult leader and his retinue, whatever. "The PCs" is just easier, and often they are the ones we're focused on.

The issue is that there are lots of NPC organizations which consist of mostly non-extraordinary people in a world with extraordinary threats, of which the PCs are but one. When the actual player characters realize that the powers that be are not able to deal with problems like them, sometimes you get the murderhobo phenomenon. This can help to address what NPC groups would do when faced with a threat like that.

Would you suggest that I try to make the advice more generic as opposed to specific? I am just worried that this would make it more difficult for a DM to put it into action.
    Last edited by LumenPlacidum; 2021-04-13 at 11:52 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by LumenPlacidum View Post
    Placeholder if I need another post.

I also want to point out that having NPCs with tactics like these are how you scare the players. This is how you turn an opponent into Tucker's Kobolds. The party isn't supposed to be able to fight against this; at least, not without significant planning. What sorts of advice do you have for the dastardly NPC organization?
    I would say that you turn an enemy into Tucker's Kobolds by starting with an enemy that the players KNOW to be objectively weaker than they are and ideally are contemptuous towards, so that they will be inclined not to complain of unfairness, and then playing them in such a way to minimize their disadvantages and maximize their advantages and open the player's eyes to how they can still be quite dangerous in their own wheelhouse. For example, imagine a party which is very mobile (mounted combat, ranged weaponry, etc.) who are therefore contemptuous of black puddings and gibbering mouthers as a threat. You Tuckerize those oozes by contextualizing them in an area of darkness and rough terrain (like a cave or dungeon) where the oozes can surround them on all sides in the dark and cut off PC retreat, and the PCs may not even know it yet until an ooze gets within darkvision radius. (If you're evil, you can plan to introduce the ooze threat onscreen by having one crawl out of an unlikely location, such as emerging from up a toilet hole that a PC was about to use.) Then you give the PCs a reason to go in that cave, such as making it the top level of a dungeon with treasure, or the back entrance to the HQ of an organization they'd like to infiltrate. The key thing here is that as long as players are forced to take precautions, they have reason to fear and respect black puddings and gibbering mouthers (and the possibility that there may be dozens of them right now within 100 yards of where they currently stand, silently closing in), they cannot remain contemptuous.

IMO it's that emotional inversion even moreso than "playing monsters intelligently" which is the essence of Tuckerization.

Of course there's no reason you couldn't make puddings even more scary by giving them human-level intelligence and active malevolence, to do things like e.g. silently creep up the walls and then drop on the party en masse whenever they stop moving for more than a few minutes at a time (e.g. resting), while vanishing down holes and drains if the party attempts pursuit.

Sorry, when I say "the PCs" what I really mean is any small group of potent individuals on PC levels of power. That could be other NPCs with class levels, a pair of dragons, a coven of hags, a powerful cult leader and his retinue, whatever. "The PCs" is just easier, and often they are the ones we're focused on.

The issue is that there are lots of NPC organizations which consist of mostly non-extraordinary people in a world with extraordinary threats, of which the PCs are but one. When the actual player characters realize that the powers that be are not able to deal with problems like them, sometimes you get the murderhobo phenomenon. This can help to address what NPC groups would do when faced with a threat like that.

Would you suggest that I try to make the advice more generic as opposed to specific? I am just worried that this would make it more difficult for a DM to put it into action.
    The word "PC" isn't the only thing that makes the advice feel a bit too much like DM harrassment for my taste--it's also stuff like laying ambushes to account specifically for the target's goto spells. <<If the dynamic of the group is to have a PC or two concentrate on important spells, then ambushes should be laid for those spells. Elites should reveal themselves to provoke the spellcasters into casting their concentration spells. Once they have done so, units of ranged attackers and area attackers should reveal themselves to hit those mages while the Elites retreat. In general, when the PCs' full might is brought to bear, scatter and retreat.>>

If the enemy truly knows this specific group of actors and is executing a killing ambush, then fine--but then they would also bring enough force to do the job, and it's a TPK by design unless the players find a way to break the trap. That should be rare, but from the phrasing "ambushes should be laid" it sounds like you're expecting this to be a regular thing where the bad guys always pursue them, know enough about them to specifically arrange counterplay to favored tactics, never bring enough force to kill them, and never give up. That mode of play doesn't seem realistic or fun to me. Edit: on reread of the edited OP, maybe you're not suggesting that after all, but it was my initial first impression.

Personally I'd rather talk about enemy SOP and the things they are prepared to do against ANY individually-powerful powerful foe (e.g. "weapon attacks are low priority compared to DMG disarm and running away with the weapon followed by grapple-prone, because dozens of 11 HP NPCs have an action economy more suited to defeating a high-level fighter by depleting his favored weapons first (e.g. magic halberd and backup greatsword) and reducing him to dagger attacks while prone, rather than attempting to deplete HP directly while he still is leveraging PAM and GWM to murder them in great whacking lots every round" as well as against e.g hordes of summoned creatures, or against spell buffs like Spirit Guardians.

Then the PCs can still win fights and it doesn't seem like a failure of planning on the NPCs' part, since the plans weren't targeting these PCs specifically. But part of SOP should be oriented towards analyzing defeats, via Speak With Dead or other means, to build threat models and possibly strike back. PCs should definitely have to get used to the POSSIBILITY of being targeted with overwhelming retaliatory force, and have to engage in counterplay such concealing their identities and/or finding a secure base of operations protected by a neutral or friendly sovereign power with overwhelming military or diplomatic force of its own, compared to the potential retaliators.

Similarly, a highly valuable elite should be protected defensively in this way as well, with the Help action being used to provide disadvantage to attack rolls against them.
    Note: imposing disadvantage on an attack isn't an entirely unreasonable improvised action, but it's not something the Help action is able to do. Shoving an enemy prone and grappling them so they can't stand up easily can though. (Then, throw on a net (without disadvantage because advantage from the target being prone and 5' away cancels the disadvantage from using a ranged weapon with an enemy nearby), and add at least one extra grappler.)
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-04-13 at 12:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Note: imposing disadvantage on an attack isn't an entirely unreasonable improvised action, but it's not something the Help action is able to do. Shoving an enemy prone and grappling them so they can't stand up easily can though. (Then, throw on a net (without disadvantage because advantage from the target being prone and 5' away cancels the disadvantage from using a ranged weapon with an enemy nearby), and add at least one extra grappler.)
    Wait, really? I didn't know that :P

Yeah, I agree that a DM harassing a group of players for playing the game is a bad thing. The most egregious advice that I'm giving is for when a group like the PCs has earned the wrath of an organized and intelligent organization of NPCs and they have not prevented that group from gathering information about them and bringing their power to bear. To some extent, in that situation, the PCs have lost and they just don't necessarily understand the mechanics of the last ten moves in that chess game. You can play it out for them, but the real way for a group to avoid these consequences is to not get into that situation in the first place.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

There used to be a blog called "The Monsters are Listening" that covered what you are looking for. Or perhaps I have the name wrong.

Anyway, yeah, that's a big project.

In general PCs ARE the single most deadly/destructive thing a monster can encounter, and there are a lot more of them than Tarrasques. So in general, the rational and intelligent monsters will avoid/flee PCs unless they have other motivations found in their ecology and fluff. Orc culture comes to mind. They'd rather die that be shot in the back running away. Hobgoblins are likewise (and much more crafty at the art of war) not likely to retreat unless it serves a tactical goal. Volo's is full of such advice. Delaying tactics, guerilla warfare, boobytrapping are all legit in defense of your tribe and family if survival matters.

So there's your starting point. Think like a loving DM towards your creations. Love your monsters and set them up for success (aka survival) except where success is not the same thing as survival for spiritual reasons. And let everything else (insects, slimes, other vermin) close with and fight to the death.

I recognize some of your tactical terms, others less so. I'm thinking you are approaching this from a U.S. Marine Corps or perhaps another nations armed forces perspective? I caution you that tactical campaigns seem like a lot of fun, but they are not fun to run. I've tried time and time again to use my 31 years as a student of tactics, operations and strategy to make a fun game for my PCs. I've spent a lot of mental energy and prep time playing chess when my players just wanted a game of checkers. Wizards stuck their foot in this with the infinitely forgettable and forgotten UA "When Armies Clash." It wasn't good enough to be fun.

Rule #1 - Know your audience.
    Last edited by Kurt Kurageous; 2021-04-13 at 01:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    There used to be a blog called "The Monsters are Listening" that covered what you are looking for. Or perhaps I have the name wrong.
    I think you mean this:

https://www.themonstersknow.com/

Also they released a book.

This thread does seem to have a slightly different thrust though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well, don't forget that you don't have to use all of these things concurrently. To create a different tactical challenge for a group of actual player characters, you can just have a foe that's doing some of these things without the broader perspective of organizing to put future hurt on the players.

If you want an orc encounter, then having the party spot an orc elite and some regulars could provoke them into attacking. Then, have a trio of orc elites separate the front line of the party from the rear. You don't have to consider it as a long term information-warfare preparation kind of thing. I should be clearer about the difference between tactics and strategies. The tactics can be used to make an encounter more difficult. The strategies are how to neuter a foe's advantages.

10. - Top - End - #10

Wait, really? I didn't know that :P

Yeah, I agree that a DM harassing a group of players for playing the game is a bad thing. The most egregious advice that I'm giving is for when a group like the PCs has earned the wrath of an organized and intelligent organization of NPCs and they have not prevented that group from gathering information about them and bringing their power to bear. To some extent, in that situation, the PCs have lost and they just don't necessarily understand the mechanics of the last ten moves in that chess game. You can play it out for them, but the real way for a group to avoid these consequences is to not get into that situation in the first place.
    Well, playing out those ten moves gets a little tricky, because there are actual human beings involved spending actual human time, which means that pacing is a problem. As a DM I'd want to avoid playing out ten moves of that chess game-by-analogy over ten sessions or whatever if it truly is a foregone conclusion--at that point, my focus shifts to driving closure as quickly as possible so the PCs can either TPK or prove me wrong (and perhaps even TAKE OVER the hostile organization that's out to get them--whatever it is that is the alternative to dying).

I think this does involve some metagame communication where the DM has a frank talk with the players about the situation they're now in, and among other things finds out if they want to "skip to the climax" (which might require players to dictate a strategy of engagement so the DM can infer what the climactic fight or handful of fights in that case is likely to even be) or play out all ten moves in detail.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    As a DM I'd want to avoid playing out ten moves of that chess game-by-analogy
    Exactly why I'm making this collection of strategies and tactics. I often find myself, as a DM, in a position where I have no idea how my players are going to make it out of the hole that they've gotten themselves into. Finding out what happens is a large part of how I derive pleasure from the game when I'm running it. I try not to viciously act against them just because they're my players. But, the idea that a vicious in-world opponent who is their mortal enemy isn't going to do everything in their power to make the player characters miserable is ludicrous. I simply have to maintain a realistic level of reaction for such mastermind NPCs.

I don't have many issues with making organizations effectively respond to the actions of my party (although I'm always interested in learning of what others do or suggest), but I figure that not everyone knows how to engage in such strategic play. So, I'm trying to help to describe what an organization might do from the perspective that they want to survive/win and want to do so as efficiently as possible.

More often than anything else, an intelligent foe of the PCs is going to realize the danger that they represent, and will try to negotiate to add them as an asset in their own corner! I don't really have much advice to offer in that regard, so I didn't really list it. Even if the PCs have damaged the organization, negotiation and adoption are superior to the organization dissolving!

12. - Top - End - #12

Before I forget: the organization should definitely invest in poison. Essence of Ether is pricey, but buying a hundred doses of it is still less than the price to operate a battalion of soldiers for a month, so fairly cheap by organizational standards, and a lot cheaper than replacing said battalion. You can't damage them without waking them up but you can grapple, prone, manacle, gag, disarm, drag, or even drown them. And even if someone shakes them awake they're still poisoned: disadvantaged on attack rolls and ability checks for 8 hours.

Inhaled poisons, caltrops, and oil jars + flame all work better in the action economy hordes of NPCs (or zombies) than for individual PCs because they don't require attack rolls and they scale better out than up.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-04-13 at 02:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhelm View Post
    I think you mean this:

https://www.themonstersknow.com/

Also they released a book.

This thread does seem to have a slightly different thrust though.
    Yes! Thank you! I meant to read more, but I forgot...