New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question PF1e: List of Save or Die/Be Utterly Destroyed Effects?

Greetings, all!

Pathfinder 1e nerfed many save or die effects, like turning slay living into damage living. Phantasmal killer is still a (weak) save-or-die, and stone to flesh and plane shift are effectively save-or-dies.

Thus, what save-or-die effects exist in PF1e, especially spells?

Thankee!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PF1e: List of Save or Die/Be Utterly Destroyed Effects?

Suffocation and Power Word: Kill as well. Baleful Polymorph is still essentially a save or die. Explode Head sort of. Death Clutch. Cloudkill and Circle of Death, but limited by level.

Edit: Just remembered a funny one. The Brawler has a Knockout Punch feature, which is "save or fall unconscious". I'd say that counts. By that same token, Color Spray and Sleep are still low level save or dies, as is the Witch's Slumber Hex.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-04-13 at 01:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Prismatic Spray, especially when used against a large group.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Edit: Just remembered a funny one. The Brawler has a Knockout Punch feature, which is "save or fall unconscious". I'd say that counts.
    Along those lines, the Strangler archetype has the Sleeper Hold and Neckbreaker abilities that take this a step further.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Parasitic soul, weird, and symbol of death are all save or dies, although symbol of death has a hit point limit and weird requires two failed saves. Psychic crush doesn’t outright kill the target but it sets their hit points to -1 on a failed save so it might count as well.

For spells that permanently incapacitate the victim on a failed save, there’s microcosm, scribe’s binding, and trap the soul. Scribe’s binding and trap the soul both have expensive components, but scribe’s binding lets you look through and edit the target’s memories and trap the soul can trap the target without a save if you can get them to pick up a trigger object.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, Trap the Soul. Lost the players' ship captain to that old gem when I ran Skull and Shackles.