New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Savage Worlds - Star Wars: The Way of the Sith - A Campaign Journal

Have absolutely no idea if any of y'all are interested or not, but I was invited to a Star Wars TTRPG game by a buddy of mine. It's ran with the Savage Worlds ruleset, which is kinda interesting. If you're unfamiliar with it, there aren't actually any "classes" per se. It's all just skill point and "Edges" based (kinda like Feats), and then there are generic Archetypes that provide you a model off of which to build a particular type of character. But nothing is really set in stone. It sorta reminds me of Guild Wars in that aspect.

Anywho, if anybody actually cares, I can try to keep a campaign log here, of the shenanigans that we engage in over the next few months. Sessions are once a month, there are 5 of us total, including the GM. I've decided to play a Taung Mandalorian, and took Edges to give myself enough starting credits to buy a tricked out suit of armor and enough weapons to outfit a small garrison. The rest of the party consists of a Human Sith Acolyte, a Protocol/Assassin Droid, and an Explorer of some sort. I'm hopping in on session 2 tonight, I guess their 4th party member ended up bailing on them after session 1 last month.
    Last edited by WeaselGuy; 2021-04-15 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Savage Worlds - Star Wars: The Way of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselGuy View Post
    Have absolutely no idea if any of y'all are interested or not, but I was invited to a Star Wars TTRPG game by a buddy of mine. It's ran with the Savage Worlds ruleset, which is kinda interesting. If you're unfamiliar with it, there aren't actually any "classes" per se. It's all just skill point and "Edges" based (kinda like Feats), and then there are generic Archetypes that provide you a model off of which to build a particular type of character. But nothing is really set in stone. It sorta reminds me of Guild Wars in that aspect.

Anywho, if anybody actually cares, I can try to keep a campaign log here, of the shenanigans that we engage in over the next few months. Sessions are once a month, there are 5 of us total, including the GM. I've decided to play a Taung Mandalorian, and took Edges to give myself enough starting credits to buy a tricked out suit of armor and enough weapons to outfit a small garrison. The rest of the party consists of a Human Sith Acolyte, a Protocol/Assassin Droid, and an Explorer of some sort. I'm hopping in on session 2 tonight, I guess their 4th party member ended up bailing on them after session 1 last month.
    I've actually made my own Star Wars conversion to Savage Worlds. While my energy is currently directed towards ACKS, I do a LOT with Savage Worlds, having made conversions for The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Shadowrun, Dragonlance, and the aforementioned Star Wars.

Looking forward to see how your game goes.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2021-04-13 at 12:26 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Savage Worlds - Star Wars: The Way of the Sith - A Campaign Journal

Ok. My first session, group session #2. Here's the highlights!

Party:
    • Bakk Rightstalker - Human Explorer. Has a pet canine of some sort. Likes smoking his pipe. Carries a vibro-machete, and fancies himself something of a pilot
    • HK-P52 - Hunter Killer turned Protocol droid. Goes by "Kay-Pee" Seems to be the one running the show, somehow. Has a concealable blast pistol, but is a terrible shot. Is *really* attached to the ship: voted in favor of yeeting a Jawa out the cargo door after finding out it tampered with the computers (turns out the Jawa actually improved the functionality of the ship's systems, somehow. Still upset KP).
    • Cataldo - Human Sith Acolyte from the Korriban Academy. So far, have seem him use Mind Tricks and Telepathy, along with Lightning and of course, Lightsaber combat. Tends to be rather mild-mannered and very academic. Definitely has not tried to take charge of the expedition
    • Xun Qorr - Taung Mandalorian Prospect (me). Assigned to the expedition as extra security for primary personnel (the Party). Doesn't talk much but not afraid of a fight. Won't back down. Is consulted on by Bakk way more than anticipated. Suit mounted hand-flamer caught some thugs on fire, was really cool to use. Got referred to as a "Mando" by a local Republic pilot. Wears a Hardsuit with Cortosis Weave, Comms Suite, Jetpack, and mounted Hand Flamer. Carries 2x Hi-Yield Heavy Blast Pistols, a Battle Rifle Slugthrower with a Macroscope, a handful of Frag Grenades, and a Cortosis Weave Enhanced Balance Spear.

So, we started the session off landing on the planet Arkania. The rest of the party was in 1 ship, I came in on the other. Apparently they had some issues prior to landing with some sort of feline creatures attacking the camp near the dig site, and also with the local Republic forces damaging a power coupler on their ship, so the mission of the day was to find a new power coupler and also to hire some locals for manual labor. Since finding Imperial Standard parts in new condition on a Republic planet is next to impossible, and we can't wait to have the new part flown in on the next supply drop, we decided to find a salvaged part from a scrap yard. This led us to a busted sand trawler in the middle of a yard, ran by a Jawa clan. We attempted to purchase their services as laborers for the dig, in addition to the part, but eventually settled on just the part. When leaving the yard, we received 2 pieces of communication. The first was a man wanting to buy the inedible meat from our supply ship, that we definitely did not bring with us to sell, since it's inedible, and the second was a warning from the ship to KP that there was a Jawa on board.

We still have no idea what the Jawa was actually looking for, but it after interrogation (and the aforementioned yeeting) it was determined that it had performed a minor software update to the ship's computers, and also stole some fuzzy dice. From here, we made our way to one of the local labor guilds, and after some negotiation, procured the services of some 20-30 day laborers for the next 6 months. Of course, the broker insisted on having a third of the money up front, to guarantee that the laborers would 1) show up, and 2) be replaced upon their incapacitation. It didn't take much for us to figure out that this up front payment was indeed the broker's full cut of the purchase, and we probably weren't going to see him again. But he did at least hand pick some relatively healthy looking workers.

After leaving the labor guild, we made our way to a cantina, to meet with the unlikely purveyor of inedible meat. He turned out to be an Imperial spy, and was looking for the opportunity to have us import some of his day-laborers onto the planet, so that they could increase the amount of Imperial presence on this Republic planet. In turn, they would be able to smuggle some artifacts out of the system for us, without us having to allow the Republic (and Jedi) the opportunity to also inspect the artifacts (part of the contract). While mulling the proposal over, 2-3 Republic pilots entered the cantina, one of whom was wearing a lightsaber, and seemed to be in charge of the others. It became clear that these were the pilots of the T-Wings that had been buzzing our camp daily, and also jamming our comms every chance they could get. As they became disinterested in us and were about to walk away, I spoke up to this occurrence, and we almost got into a fight, but somehow (and for some reason) Bakk managed to calm tensions by paying their bar tab, and we all left. This turned out to be a good thing, because a fight would have blown our spy's cover.

Upon returning to the ship, to make sure the laborers had been delivered, we were met with the presence of I think 4-6 swoop-gangers, apparently enforcers for one of the other labor guilds in the city, that were intent on taking their cut of the labor contract. I attempted to deflect them off onto the broker with whom we had settled earlier, but for some reason, it was now that Bakk decided to grow a pair, and instigated combat with the gangers, with some rather terrible intimidation rolls all around. I drew initiative, and was able to catch them off guard (and on fire) with my suit-mounted hand flamer, followed up by a pair of shots from my heavy blast pistols, killing one of the gangers. KP missed with her shot, Cataldo decapitated his target with his lightsaber, and Bakk wounded his target with his vibro-machete. Bakk's target died from a stray shot from one of the other gangers, and then the remaining 2 decided they wanted nothing further from us (math indicates there were 5 gangers). Cataldo decided to Force Lightning one of the escaping gangers, and I decided to take a quick shot at the other, blowing him clean off his bike. Cataldo was also successful.

At this point, we repaired the ship and loaded up the laborers and the 4 functional swoops into the cargo hold. As we were prepping up for departure, a Human woman, waifish and malnourished in appearance, ran into the hanger, and informed us that she was sent by the Imperial Spy we had met earlier, to join us on our expedition. We told her that we had not finished negotiations with the spy, nor had we had an opportunity to discuss it with our master, but upon learning that she had some valuable skills (allegedly) to bring to the table, we agreed to at least let her ride with us and plead her case to our master in person. Upon her boarding, I noticed that she was not so waifish nor malnourished as she made it seem.

And that concludes my session notes. Next session is on 4/20.
    Last edited by WeaselGuy; 2021-04-15 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Savage Worlds - Star Wars: The Way of the Sith - A Campaign Journal

Sounds interesting
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!