New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Tabaxi Warlock help

So, I'm making a Tabaxi Warlock and I want some opinions. Background is Archeologist and I was thinking of making her sort of like a magical Indiana Jones. I think a Rogue dip is a good idea, but not sure how many levels. Stats in order are 9/16/13/13/13/16. Going pact of the Chain Celestial Warlock, but not sure about Rogue Archetype, if I even go for 3 Levels in it. So what I'm wondering mainly is how many Levels of Rogue should I take and if 3 or more, then what Rogue Archetype fits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Tabaxi Warlock help

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    So, I'm making a Tabaxi Warlock and I want some opinions. Background is Archeologist and I was thinking of making her sort of like a magical Indiana Jones. I think a Rogue dip is a good idea, but not sure how many levels. Stats in order are 9/16/13/13/13/16. Going pact of the Chain Celestial Warlock, but not sure about Rogue Archetype, if I even go for 3 Levels in it. So what I'm wondering mainly is how many Levels of Rogue should I take and if 3 or more, then what Rogue Archetype fits.
    Think about tomelock taking thorn whip. Maybe thematic? maybe not?
    Also, grasp of hadar?
    And of course using a whip.

Also, I think you get nothing from rogue aside from 2 levels. Maybe scout? Maybe thief? Mastermind/inquisitive? Not worth it I think.
    Btw, I think a pure thief might be a better indiana jones than a warlock/rogue.

With warlock this might also not hurt that much as you need not rely on your spells, which are few. I would multi only after 5th warlock(getting 3rd level spells and 3rd invocation asap).
    With 2 levels of rogue, You'll get your expertise in like... thieves tools and investigation? acrobatics?
    And cunning action.

Note that none of this goes toward optimization, it's all flavor as warlock and rogue do not synergise well.
    Last edited by Houster; 2021-04-13 at 11:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

That definitely helps. Going to stick to Chainlock, as that's the one I find interesting for this character. Now I just need to figure out which order to take the feats I want in. Definitely taking Shadow Touched first, as my character is from the Shadowfell. That leaves +2 Charisma, Observant, Skill Expert, and Linguist. That will get Intelligence up to 14, Wisdom up to 14, and Charisma up to 20. Yes, I know taking so many feats might not be optimal, but it fits the flavor.

Edit: Wait, 2 levels of Rogue means she won't get her 5th ASI/Feat slot as those are class based in 5th. Possibly only want 1 level of Rogue then, or give up one of the feats.
    Last edited by ChaosStar; 2021-04-13 at 11:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems to me that optimizing is secondary here(which is cool!), so I would go with what would make you the most of your idea, sooner. So(after shadow touched) observant first, skill expert 2nd(as you can still use any skill effectively before expertise apllies), linguist then finishing with +2 cha.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

So Indiana Jones is a DOCTOR. Of archeology, but still a doctor. With that in mind, I'd probably take 1st level rogue for expertise and extra skills to start. It also gives you all your exploration skills etc. right off the bat. Then go straight warlock through 5th level. Then decide whether you really want that second rogue level or not.

Honestly I'm imagining a cat version of Indy who found the Ark of the Covenant and uses the powers it granted him to melt evil face. Sounds like a lot of fun!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

A single level into Rogue gets you most of the skill-based stuff that Rogues get without a lot of investment. It's a bit cheese, but it's effective. It's what I'd suggest for any caster that wants to play with skills more.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...fective-Builds

The very first build in this list is a Celestial Warlock - it's worth a look to grab all the goodies that fit your PC's vibe.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    A single level into Rogue gets you most of the skill-based stuff that Rogues get without a lot of investment. It's a bit cheese, but it's effective. It's what I'd suggest for any caster that wants to play with skills more.
    I think storywise it could be worth starting as a rogue before multiclassing into warlock, as your character could come across an artifact that links your character to a patron. What level are you starting at, OP?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Just making characters, so Level 1. I already have her meeting her patron as part of her backstory however, so not sure about taking Rogue before Warlock. She's already starting with 6 skills, 2 from Tabaxi, 2 from Warlock, and 2 from Archeologist. How events in her backstory go right now, she met her Patron before becoming an Archeologist. Besides, Arcana and Nature are important skills for her and Rogue doesn't get them.

Note: This is more starting skills than the Bard I'm making, who is a Skillmonkey. Less final skills though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you're dipping rogue for "tricky stealing stuff person*

level 1: for the Basic stuff; added skills, light sneak attack, fun stuff
    level 2: for cunning action: which is really good and gives the rogue alot of its its slippery-ness
    level 3: archetype, and for what you are doing I'm going to recommend you take a closer look here

Thief: Fast hands and second story work both do thief-y mobility *stuff*, this if the most rogue

Arcane trickster: Doesn't feel *great*but looks like fun, Some 1st level long rest spell slots, a few more spells known, a splash of cantrips and added mage hand utility
    *try to have grab/have a few spells that don't care what your hit bonus or save DC are for when you are using these slots, cause your Int ain't great, find familiar, feather fall, detect magic, illusory script, to cast at 1st level just fine and... say colour spray and sleeps for spells as a few examples a couple of which work with warlocks alright*

Assassin: Meh, boring in this context, and not great given you are not deep diving *maor dice of damage*

And well 4th nabs a feat for say Alert or similar, but depending on the eventual ending level this is getting pretty deep in; alot of people theory craft up to 20, most games don't get there. 3 feels like the most I'd bother

Regardless you are likely going to have a *pile* of uses for your bonus action, so keep an eye on that.

I'd feel 2nd level as the minimum I'd want take this to be worth the bother (there are other ways to round out skills), but I like cunning action alot, and I'd almost certainly try for 3rd

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You could consider rogue with a warlock dip as an option. Perhaps arcane trickster for the additional spellcasting. Something like rogue X/warlock 3 or 5. It might fit the sneaky explorer/adventurer concept more than a straight celestial warlock depending on how you want to play it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Get to rogue 3 for thief and warlock 9 for the Otherworldly Leap invocation. That way you can jump like 45 feet and also climb your speed. I'm not sure how this is useful, but I want you to do it anyway.