New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Gift ideas for my brother: t-shirts with fun graphics

My brother's birthday is coming up, and as is common for middle aged men with more compensation and time spent already accumulating what we need than actual needs, there's nothing he really needs or wants as a gift. His one and only suggestion to me is that his kids think he should have more 't-shirts with cute or ridiculous graphics.' From context, I think the idea is things along the lines of 'pirate (ninja astronaut) hedgehogs,' 'velociraptors on penny farthing bicycles,' 'squirrels on hang gliders' or similar. Does anyone have some good suggestions in that vein?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Gift ideas for my brother: t-shirts with fun graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Does anyone have some good suggestions in that vein?
    You could go to Topatoco.

My personal T-shirt favorites in that vein are "The Oldest Profession" and "Dress for the job".
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's not a t-shirt, but I've found that going to Etsy and typing in "leather" brings up some really neat things that a lot of people would never think about or buy for themselves but make really nice gifts - for example, one of my best friends just had a birthday, and I got him a leather desk pad. Not something I think the vast majority of people would buy themselves, but it makes for a dang nice gift that feels all adult and nice and fancy.

That being said, for t-shirts I'm a huge fan of well-designed travel-esque shirts for fictional locations. I'll see if I can't find my two current faves for ya
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-14 at 07:59 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    You could go to Topatoco.

My personal T-shirt favorites in that vein are "The Oldest Profession" and "Dress for the job".
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just went through the entire t-shirt collection. Definitely a trip down lolrandoms past. I recognize a few of those from Diesel Sweeties and Goats. I think "Dress for the Job" and "Rewrite History (add more dinosaurs)" are two I could get. "The Oldest Profession" might have his kids making 'oldest profession' references at school, which would not go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's not a t-shirt, but I've found that going to Etsy and typing in "leather" brings up some really neat things that a lot of people would never think about or buy for themselves but make really nice gifts - for example, one of my best friends just had a birthday, and I got him a leather desk pad. Not something I think the vast majority of people would buy themselves, but it makes for a dang nice gift that feels all adult and nice and fancy.
    That sounds like a perfect suggestion for lots of people, but would not be the right one here. My brother has all the adult-and-fancy products he could ever want, but needs things that work well with crawling around playing legos with his kids.

That being said, for t-shirts I'm a huge fan of well-designed travel-esque shirts for fictional locations. I'll see if I can't find my two current faves for ya
    Please do.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Please do.
    Spoiler: Here's the Tatooine one.
    Show

Trying to find the Bespin one. I'm weird and have a lot of pickiness about whether designs like that look too cheesy or not. That one I think is really well done. I definitely didn't get it from Walmart because I actively avoid them unless absolutely necessary, but you can totally get it at Walmart, it seems.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Am I the only one thinking:

If only your favourite online web-comic had designs for t-shirts one could buy somewhere.

Or are those not a thing anymore?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys are the easiest to get stuff for, especially T- shirts.

If he is a sports buff he will like need/want one for each of his major teams (baseball, football, basketball, hockey) ... five if he went to college.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Am I the only one thinking:

If only your favourite online web-comic had designs for t-shirts one could buy somewhere.

Or are those not a thing anymore?
    The OOTS t-shirts are mostly good for fans of the comic, or at least fans of D&D. But I like the Greyview shirt:
    https://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick/15692176

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Guys are the easiest to get stuff for, especially T- shirts.
    If he is a sports buff he will like need/want one for each of his major teams (baseball, football, basketball, hockey) ... five if he went to college.
    Another good guess, but not his jam. I'd have a really hard time explaining it -- he is a later half of gen-X advanced-in-his-career computer engineer who is not into sports, most webcomics, the Big Bang Theory, Welcome to Nightvale (these last three seem to rule out half of Topatoco), or most nerd culture things other than the Star Wars/Harry Potter stuff his kids like. That's kinda why I started with the base of funny animals -- he likes offbeat things, and kid-friendly images, but anything specific to a given IP runs a high chance of not being a match.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Am I the only one thinking:If only your favourite online web-comic had designs for t-shirts one could buy somewhere.
    Another great suggestion that sadly does not fit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The line about a t-shirt for crawling around Legos with kids immediately turned my mind towards the Playtime guardian version. Too bad that one only is in kid sizes.

Just saying it ticks the silly graphics and suitable for kids. A lot of it is in-jokes true, but not everything.

Who wouldn't want a Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator dreams of his dinosaur roots t-shirt?
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2021-04-14 at 11:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Okay, how about 'Parasaur with a parasol' on cafepress?

Steampunk snow leopard?

Natures Ninjas?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

12. - Top - End - #12

Actually, come to think of it... Willie, go to shirt.woot and check out patrickspens. Back when I was really into graphic Ts, I noticed a trend that my favorite shirts happened to be by that artist, to the point that I feel completely comfortable recommending him as a sole search criteria to find some of the best designs that site has, especially for non-IP designs (IIRC he does some but most are more generic and probably what you're looking for and what your brother would like).

ETA : https://shirt.woot.com/catalog?q=%40patrickspens

He usually goes between beautiful, artistic designs and super cute designs. The super cute ones are what I'm thinking what might be right up your bro's alley.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-14 at 11:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The best one I have seen was Sheldoncomics' "Mind of a Ninja - Body of a Manatee".

Unfortunately, I do not think they sell those.

"Lucky Duck" was also rather positive.

Also: if you are interested in crazy t-shirts, why not design one yourself? It's fun. I do it for my colleagues for birthdays.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

xkcd also has shirts that might be up your brother's alley. I am pretty sure Dr. McNinja had something like 'cowboy bandits on velociraptors' as a shirt, but the store does not seem to exist anymore. Found it, but not as spectacular as I remembered.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2021-04-15 at 04:17 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I just got a few shirts from Tee Turtle, which has a lot of fun designs. They're not brand specific, but have some fun references. A lot are Disney or Harry Potter inspired. I got three with dragon designs, and a HP inspired pin. Seem to be a lot of cats too, if he likes cats. Most designs are kid friendly too.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I have picked up 3-4 shirts from the various sites (here they are, in case anyone is interested). Thanks everyone for their suggestions! Anyone else who wants to make suggestions, I'll certainly keep them mind for others/his future gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Also: if you are interested in crazy t-shirts, why not design one yourself? It's fun. I do it for my colleagues for birthdays.
    I'm very much not an artist, and have just enough mental energy at the end of the day for my gaming and webcomic hobbies, much less learning design.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've got a few shirts I'm really satisfied with from a place called, iirc, dragonstuff.com. as the name suggests, the pictures are all just dragons doing things. My personal favorites are dragons playing Houses and Humans, and one captioned The Computer Hacker, where the dragon is literally hacking at the computer with a battleaxe. But he has a pretty wide range of stuff, and not all of it is on just shirts. He does posters and the like too.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I've got a few shirts I'm really satisfied with from a place called, iirc, dragonstuff.com.
    So you're just openly admitting to buying all our stuff?!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So you're just openly admitting to buying all our stuff?!
    Hey, dragons have good stuff. Its a compliment!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”