Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy [IC]

Kula-Tai Skärthena & Hawkins
    AC: 12 (17) | HP: 36/36 | HIT DICE: 4d6+16
    Speed:
    25ft | Initiative: +2
    Passive Perception:
    11 | Passive Insight 15
    Conditions: force breastplate, force ward 0/11

Feeling completely refreshed, Kula blushes from being pat on the head by Mint - dwarves take time to open up to strangers and, as such, aren't used to sharing physical contacts with new acquaintances. She stuttered a little as she spoke: 'Y-Yer a real life saver, Mint, y-ya know that, don't 'cha? Anyways... I agree maybe we shoulda' rest. We're walkin' around blind 'ere, like a cockatrice what lost it's 'ead. I'll send 'awkins out ta scout a'ead and try ta chart a course.'

She puts her shield away and with a few quick hand gestures and an arcane word, she summons Hawkins, which perches itself on her shoulder. As before, they stare at each other, having a telepathic conversation no one else can hear. With a screech and a nod, the silver-backed bird flies off into the tunnel ahead. Kula sits cross-legged on the ground and her eyes roll up into the back of her head as she projects her senses into the beast.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-05-13 at 12:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Hawkins flew out with a quick 100 foot perimeter around the group and identified no threats.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Noemi
    AC: 18 | HP: 32/32 |HIT DICE: 4d10+4
    Speed: 30ft | Initiatives: +4
    Passive Perception: 13 | Passive Insight: 13
    Conditions: ---

Noemi looks out toward the cavern.

"Kula's healed. I think we can press on. ...But, I could try digging out a space for us. Off to the side, hidden from krawlers. If we chose to stay. Can't say how effective it will be.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonmaid Angred
    AC: 14 | HP: 35/35 |Hit Dice: 4
    Speed: 30ft, Fly 20 ft. | Initiative: +1
    Perception: -1 | Insight: -1
    Spell Slots: 0/2

"If we want to keep going, I'll just need five minutes or so," Angred says. One of her claws catches on a tear in her uniform while she's brushing herself off. A muted but growly sigh escapes her as she extricates it. "Hrrn... I really need to mend this, though."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

After the fifth or so "No, I do not need to sleep. But if you would like to rest, that's fine," the party eventually makes their own tunnel offshoot despite everyone insisting they're fine and settles in for the night.

Almost bizarrely, nothing approached in the night. Kula-Tai awoke to find her hawk napping fitfully on her chest, exhausted from all the scouting the previous night.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay Kula-Tai, I need an intelligence check from your hawk to see how well it can communicate what it has seen.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

Aromage Mint
    AC: 16 | HP: 27/27 |HIT DICE: 4d8+4
    Speed: 30ft | Initiatives: +3
    Passive Perception: 17 | Passive Insight: 17

Satisfied that their shelter wouldn't be invaded in the night, Mint tucked herself into a corner of the little alcove they'd crafted until it was her turn to keep watch. She spent that time shifted into a little fruit bat, and hung herself at the entrance to listen for trouble. When that was finished, she nestled into her blanket until her true form took hold when she woke with the others.

She'd spend the early morning with a drowsy, "G'morning," while carefully brushing out her braid before re-braiding it once more.
    <3 If you can't be anything else, be kind. <3

7. - Top - End - #127

Flumph

Kula-Tai Skärthena & Hawkins
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    11 | Passive Insight 15
    Conditions: force breastplate, force ward 11/11

The dwarven woman wakes up to find her new friend nestled against her, napping on her chest. Her eyes are still heavy as she smiles, reaching out to stroke the bird. Hawkins slowly opens his own eyes and the pair have another of their telepathic exchanges. The raptor is exhausted and it's thoughts are a little muddled, but Kula can at least make out that there are six tunnels ahead: five going down and another going up. An exit perhaps? With a snap of her fingers, she sends the animal back to it's pocket dimension where it can rest. She shares the information about the tunnels to the group and also adds:
    ''awkins says he saw a bunch 'a the bugs carryin' stuff towards a big pile of... well... stuff. 'e couldn' get close enough ta tell wha' it was'. But, it's be'er than nuffin'. Seems like a clue - they're 'ordin' sometin'. Also, there may well be a tunnel goin' back t'wards the surface.'
    Then she sits, takes out her spellbook and begins poring over the familiar formulae written within, refreshing her pool of magical energy and reciting complicated verbal components.
    At the end of her hour of study, she casts Force Breastplate and replenishes her force ward at the same time.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'm using 'Cantrip Formulas' to replace one of my cantrips with another.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-05-17 at 12:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Aromage Mint
    Conditions:

While Kula explained what her brave familiar had found, she rose to cross their tiny campsite and plopped down crosslegged behind the dwarf. Wordlessly she started brushing out the others hair while she pondered the course forward.

”I think we should try to find an exit, for the sake of some fresh air if nothing else. I know some ways to coax food and water from the earth if we run out of supplies down here, but berries aren’t the most satisfying, mm?” She spoke softly while she brushed, eyes intent on her work.

When she finished with that she’d start braiding Kula’s hair while she studied, humming the melodies the forest taught her to ask for her own power back for the day. She’d be finished by the time Kula was ready to move.

9. - Top - End - #129

Flumph

Kula-Tai Skärthena
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    11 | Passive Insight 15

If Kula was at first surprised by the other woman's touch, she didn't feel she same shyness as before and the gentle combing was actually very soothing. It even helped her concentrate on her spells. Once during her study she paused to ask the Aromage: 'How can ya be instinctively so kind ta others, Mint? 'Tis a trait common ta Aromage's? Or maybe jus' yer very own nature? Dinnae get me wrong, yer kindness is much welcome, 'specially down 'ere in these dark, scary tunnels. It's just... ya see, it ain't so easy fer dwarves ta display such kindness. At least, it takes some time, which is why many see us as stoïc - cold even, maybe. Fer us, restraint 'tis a kind of strength and yer attitude could easily pass as naiveté by the stout folk. But seein' as you dinnae lack strength, yet can still display such a kind-hearted nature it made me curious, ya see?'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-05-17 at 03:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonmaid Angred
    Spell Slots: 2/2

Grateful for the rest after the long trek to get here in the first place, Angred repairs her uniform the old-fashioned way during her watch shift before falling asleep, her head resting on one wing.

She's still rubbing sleep out of her eyes while Mint and Kula are doing their thing. "Ordin? So... oh, hoarding," she says like a minute after the moment has passed. She stretches and listens to Kula's story. "Interesting... I'd think it'd be the opposite." It takes a second for her to notice how weird that is to say. "So, okay, in my world, to show affection and serve unprompted is only professional, right? If anything, you should be extra-overbearing toward someone you hate, if only to confuse them and satisfy their greed for a moment. So, it's only around close friends that a dragonmaid can really let her guard down like," she stops mid-sentence, about to say like you are but suddenly realizing that she's basically doing the exact same thing now. "...well, like this."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-05-17 at 10:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Aromage Mint

Mint simply smiles between Angred and Kula, fingers deftly braiding the whole while. "I'm honored you feel that way, Miss Angred," she hummed, "I can say with certainty that I'm not doing this because I secretly hate her, mm? Truthfully, the Aromages I knew were mostly new acquaintances. I've spent most of my time in the city visiting the poorer parts. You get a lot of chances to practice braiding hair while chatting with families on their porches after a small meal." She smiled, fingers stilling for a moment as she reminisced. "That sort of community is what drew me from the forests in the first place. I'm at home, out there, but there's something to be said for the connections you forge with other people, mm?"She beamed over towards Noemi at that.

"I suppose to answer your question, Miss Kula, I'm no kinder than you, I think, but I lack some of the social graces to not touch someone else's hair without asking." She laughed at that, softly as she'd spoken, then fell silent, content then to listen to the others while they formed their strategy.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Trekking through the earth, they managed to locate the hole Hawkins had found leading upward. And as they climbed from the hole they spotted a great metal fist raised into the sky. Buzzing about it were the flying Krawlers – Receptors and Glials. There may have been others, past the hill, but only those flying could be seen.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonmaid Angred

Angred arches her back and stretches her wings upon squeezing out of the cramped tunnel, only to find herself staring up at the massive human-hand-shaped building in the distance. She stands frozen, mid-stretch, not even bothering to point.

"So... that has to go, right?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Colossus in the Playground

The Krawlers have not seen you at this distance. You can begin making your escape, if you move carefully, and alert Discovery City that the threat isn't quite as dealt with as everyone had thought and hoped.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Some checks, please.

Survival and Stealth would be appropriate for this case, though other checks will be allowed if you have a good reason for them. :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

Noemi

Noemi stares up at the hand.

"No. We have to go. Not enough of us to take it down.

She turns and starts skittering through the brush back to the city, stopping every so often to wait on others to catch up with her.
    Last edited by SpeedWitch; 2021-05-28 at 03:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Aromage Mint
    Conditions: Symbiotic Entity - (16/16 Temp HP)

For maybe the first time since this expedition started, Mint's face visibly pales at the sight of the titanic hand and the swarm of Krawlers circling it like carrion scavengers. The decision to retreat was made, and she gave a silent nod and found her way with the others back towards the direction of the city.

"That looked almost like more than attacked the city the first time," she'd say to the others when there was a chance to speak again.

17. - Top - End - #137

Flumph

Kula-Tai Skärthena
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    11 | Passive Insight 15

Kula simply said: 'Aye, lass. It did.' After what she fell silent. She wondered what good had this expedition done? She felt overwhelmed, she felt afraid. But worst of all, she felt unprepared. What could they do against this giant, mindless horde? There had to be answers somewhere. And at least, she had collected some important data about the creatures - that could be useful. In her mind, she takes a moment to probe through the gathered information: what had they learned? The screams coming from inside the beasts - definitely something to look into. Then there were the many different different types of krawlers - she had lots to write about there. Then there was this smell that they used to... communicate? The smell... the smell! That's it! She turns to Mint, having an idea: 'Mint, I believe the things communicate usin' some kind of smell based...um, communication, uh, thing. Like bees an' ants, perhaps? How 'ya call it? Faramones? Seems ta' me like smells is sumet'in' righ' up yer alley, aye? Maybe we cannae use that. I think we should look inta' it once we get back 'ta town. If we could learn ta' speak with 'em... In fact, we don' even know a thing 'bout their motivations. This could be an incredible breakthrough! Maybe we'd need a live specimen..?'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-05-31 at 09:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Noemi and Mint followed the seams in the earth where the tunnel was built to find the way back the way they'd come, while Angred pushed aside obstructions and carried party members across rivers where the terrain made travel difficult. Kula awakened a swarm of angry ants by stepping in an anthill and got some painful stings.
    The party's internal sense of time had been screwed up by their time in the tunnels, and they began to feel tired at basically noontime. But after a break for lunch, they moved on and it was sunset when they saw the walls of Fort Discovery approach. As they neared the gates they came across an army warrior whose armor was emblazoned with the insignia of the Mekk-Knights.
    "Why are you coming from the Krawler Wastes?" He asked. He did not sound suspicious – none of the party looked much like Krawlers.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Flumph

Kula-Tai Skärthena
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    11 | Passive Insight 15

Since no one responded to her concerns, Kula was left pondering her hypotheses alone. Her train of thought was broken once when she stepped on the anthill and again, at this very moment, when a Mekk-Knight appeared before them. She thought one of her friends would take the lead in answering the man, but everyone just stood there silently so she decided she would speak for the group: 'Well, um, that's actually a good question... cannae say we're sure about that ourselves. After the attack we wanted ta make a difference, ya see. We set out ta find the colony and, well... we did. Killed a bunch a' krawlers, too. But I can say this: there are a lot more a' those things than we expected, Sir. 'Twas a fright ta behold. After maneuv'rin' the Krawlers' tunnels fer a while we decided the best course of action'd be ta come back ta town an' figure out our next step. So, well... here we are.' After hearing it out loud, she realizes just how much they had rushed into this unprepared and she feels a little embarrassed in front of the knight. She averts her gaze to looks at her shoes. 'Maybe... maybe you have a lead fer us? We really wanna do good, ya see.'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-06-01 at 01:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

He frowns, concerned by Kula's words. "How many more?" he asks.

When you answer, his frown deepens. "That... That is not good," he says. "You guys look a little haggard-I'll get my superior officer to figure out what to do, but for now, come with me. I'll get you some food and drink." With that, he leads you inside the walls of the fort.

Inside, he directs you to the mess while he heads to the higher-ups' area. You partake in a meal, with the knight coming back down while you're still eating. "I talked to Lady Hartly," he tells you as you chow, "and she wants to discuss this directly with you. She wants to see you as soon as possible, but finish your meal first."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Aromage Mint

The harrowing retreat back towards the Fort was largely uneventful, apart for some rampaging ants, and Mint was grateful for that. When they finally caught their breath and Kula spoke her theory, the Aromage paused to consider carefully. "It would definitely be something to consider using against them. A hive that can communicate isn't a hive at all. We should be sure to make that known to the people back in the city, mm?" She smiled approvingly, and then looked up as the Mekk-knight approached.

Mint was happy that the dwarf took the lead, too stuck in her own thoughts to immediately join in a dialogue. In the end though, she decided to chime in, "Truthfully I'd say our scouting mission was a success, mm? We have some important information to convey to my order." She dipped her head grateful at the idea of rest and food in relative safety, and was content to follow the others, eating and drinking until she felt somewhat restored.

When the Mekk-knight returned, she looked up and canted her head, "I suppose it would make sense to hear it directly from us." She would rise then and wait for the others before they were guided off to this meeting.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonmaid Angred

When she first gets to the mess hall, Angred immediately steps around to the side and starts busing tables for the soldiers. Despite being famished, she's uncomfortable eating in the crowded dining area with so many others around.

"Of course. Thank you, sir," she says with a small bow when the officer returns with Hartley's response. Only after he leaves again does Angred relax a little bit. She hasn't even sat down this whole time.

"Right," she says to Mint, instinctively keeping her voice down even though it's logically unnecessary, "we would just have to repeat it otherwise. We still need to ask about the fist building, too."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-06-01 at 09:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the implication that they would not be disturbed, a woman in the priestly garments of the Reborn Saint Ib sat down with them. "Honorable dragonmaid, your kindness is not necessary," she says in a tone posh enough that it dangerously veers on haughty. "Please, eat. I've brought you a special treat." She uncorks a wine bottle and sets it on the table. Those of you with attuned senses can smell that it is aged, sweet wine from your seats.

Spoiler: Yes, the cat ears are part of the standard priesthood garb
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonmaid Angred

Angred stares for a second with her polite, neutral mask of an expression. It takes that long to override the part of her brain that's trained to turn down such invitations, but this isn't her house and she is the guest here.

"Ah, understood, ma'am," she says, bowing deeply. "I apologize if I overstepped - force of habit, I guess. Thank you."

She sits down to the meal set out for her. She glances at the wine bottle, idly wondering if it's one of the kinds that Easterly likes to keep around.

"So, to business?" she says, somehow more comfortable eating as long as she has that to focus on. "The Krawlers have been busy. We found some things in the tunnels that we've never seen before, and they've been building... something... in the wastes." She takes a moment to consider it, and prepares to cast her minor illusion spell to illustrate what they saw as the group tells the story.

25. - Top - End - #145

Lady Hartly, clad in Mekk Knight armor, comes through the door. You see an immediate frown when she spots the priestess, but she quickly changes her expression to one of polite neutrality. "I hear you four have been in the Krawler Wastes," she says. "Please, tell us all you've learned."

You start with the tunnels, explaining how you found your way in, and that there's still tunneling towards Discovery City. You mention the words that came from the Krawlers in their demise, and you, with some magical help, show an image of the fist.

The priestess' eyes goes wide when she sees the fist. "This... This is an ancient remnant. The Krawlers aren't building this-or at least, if they are, it's a replica. The World Legacy... This armor predates the founding of Discovery City. It is from the ancient times-from the days of Ib."

"Is it a threat?" Hartly asks, quite to the point. "The history is very interesting, but I'm more concerned with the present."

The priestess looks to you all. "Did it move? Did it seem active?"

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Aromage Mint
    Conditions: Symbiotic Entity - (16/16 Temp HP)

Mint listened along as they described their discoveries in greater detail, lips pursing at the idea of what the large hand represented. To Hartly's question she spoke in her usual soft tone, "I didn't see anything move, but it would be foolish of me to say that it isn't capable of it. I can only hope that something of that size would take a considerable amount of time to finish, and thus we'd have the time to find a way to defeat it." Presented with confidence, though she felt none of it herself, the Aromage looked to the others then, smiling ruefully.

"I don't suppose any of you know what our next move should be? I confess I'm at something of a loss."

27. - Top - End - #147

Noemi

"We have a few places to start. One: We could follow the tunnels again. Two: We spy on the hand - amusing it hasn't moved too far from where we left it. Or three: We investigate their tech."

Noemi sets the mechanical eyes down on the table. "I've looked through dead krawlers plenty of times. But I've never heard them mimic speech." She glances over at Mint and Angred."... Or show recognition. Or call for help."

"I might be able to learn something from this. I'll have to go into town for parts. Then back to my workshop. But it might take time. And it could be a dead-end."
    Last edited by SpeedWitch; 2021-06-14 at 04:59 PM.