SamuraiGirl

Default Re: New UA: Draconic Options

3rd edition had 'em too.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    (2) Gift of the Metallic Dragon is pretty crummy. Getting to use your reaction PROF times per long rest to add +d4 to someone's AC within 5', when someone is hit by an attack... the problem is that d4 is unreliable and there's a high chance of wasting it (about half the time if you use it on any hit by 4 or less), and it doesn't scale the way Defensive Duelist does. It's not so terrible that no one would ever take it, but it won't be as good as they are expecting either.
    I feel like the real reason to take the feat is the Cure Wounds, particularly for classes who have spell levels but don't have it on their list. Wizard, Sorcerer (non-Divine Soul) and Warlock (non-Celestial) might want a pinch of self-healing. I agree the 1d4 AC boost is situational at best, an unreliable even in the right situation.
    Last edited by GooeyChewie; 2021-04-14 at 01:47 PM.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

3. - Top - End - #33

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    I feel like the real reason to take the feat is the Cure Wounds, particularly for classes who have spell levels but don't have it on their list. Wizard, Sorcerer (non-Divine Soul) and Warlock (non-Celestial) might want a pinch of self-healing. I agree the 1d4 AC boost is situational at best, an unreliable even in the right situation.
    Eh, maybe in some cases. I see Cure Wounds popping up on lots of PCs anyway via Cleric 1 dips, Celestialock or Fleshlock levels (Cthulhu 5E), Bards, etc., even though it's just a fringe benefit for those classes. But, my experience is just one data point out of many, and maybe some people will take the feat exactly for that reason as you predict.

However, in those cases (Wizard without Cleric 1 and Sorcerer or Warlock without Paladin levels) I would suggest that the +d4 AC boost is even worse than otherwise because you won't want to be on the front lines protecting people in the first place. It's an anti-synergy between the two halves of the feat. Maybe it's deliberate, but neither half of the feat seems strong enough to justify the cost on its own, and they don't work together.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-04-14 at 01:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gyor View Post
    Outside of the original 3 core books (PHB, MM, and DMG), they have said they won't be reusing titles from past editions.

But will be a book where Dragons feature prominently, yes, but probably not exclusively Dragons.
    Naming convention of non-setting splats so far has been "[Famous Character]'s [Noun] of/to [Thing]", so I'd expect it to follow this pattern. Hoping it's Raistlin's turn.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Was the Gift of the Metallic Dragon supposed to be a half feat? The part with Cure Wounds says it uses the spellcasting ability you "increase", but there is no increase part of it.

I wonder if the Chromatic gift feat was also supposed to be one.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    Naming convention of non-setting splats so far has been "[Famous Character]'s [Noun] of/to [Thing]", so I'd expect it to follow this pattern. Hoping it's Raistlin's turn.
    Tiamat's Orb of Everything.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    Was the Gift of the Metallic Dragon supposed to be a half feat? The part with Cure Wounds says it uses the spellcasting ability you "increase", but there is no increase part of it.
    I don't see mention of an increase on that one. Instead, it states: "The spell’s spellcasting ability is Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma when you cast it with this feat (choose when you gain the feat)".

So no half feat or ability increase. Just pick one when you take the feat.

Whereas Gift of the Gem Dragon is a half feat, and the Telekinetic Energy ability's DC references "the ability modifier of the score increased by this feat".
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2021-04-14 at 02:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, maybe in some cases. I see Cure Wounds popping up on lots of PCs anyway via Cleric 1 dips, Celestialock or Fleshlock levels (Cthulhu 5E), Bards, etc., even though it's just a fringe benefit for those classes. But, my experience is just one data point out of many, and maybe some people will take the feat exactly for that reason as you predict.

However, in those cases (Wizard without Cleric 1 and Sorcerer or Warlock without Paladin levels) I would suggest that the +d4 AC boost is even worse than otherwise because you won't want to be on the front lines protecting people in the first place. It's an anti-synergy between the two halves of the feat. Maybe it's deliberate, but neither half of the feat seems strong enough to justify the cost on its own, and they don't work together.
    It's a smart play. Anti-synergies, as long as each effect is strong on their own, means you make characters more versatile and have a more developed theme without increasing their power level. It's like the opposite of specializing, which is selling one option to improve another. Done correctly, you get more than what you want and it doesn't change much in the long run. It's how dwarves make good druids and barbarians, but not too good.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-04-14 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gem Dragonborn seem like phenomenal Moon Druids. Essentially all of your features work in Wild Shape, and are useful. The Breath weapon is tricky, since it requires the attack action, but if you're not in range the bite/claw/etc., you'll be glad you have it as an option.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    I don't see mention of an increase on that one. Instead, it states: "The spell’s spellcasting ability is Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma when you cast it with this feat (choose when you gain the feat)".

So no half feat or ability increase. Just pick one when you take the feat.

Whereas Gift of the Gem Dragon is a half feat, and the Telekinetic Energy ability's DC references "the ability modifier of the score increased by this feat".
    Looks like they updated it. I opened a version where it definitely has "the same as the ability score increased with this feat", but when I open it again via a new tab it just says to choose the score.

12. - Top - End - #42

HalflingRogueGuy

I'm also not a huge fan of the flavor on Kobolds here. The abilities are mostly fine, sure, but the flavor doesn't match much existing stuff. I have a hard time picturing a Kobold's fearsome roar.

Draconic Transformation seems...okay. It's better than Mordenkainen's Sword, certainly, but that spell is infamously bad. Crown of Stars seems like a decent comparison: Concentration, a shorter duration, and less individual damage in exchange for AoE and bonus abilities.

Psychic Lance seems overtuned in comparison. Compared to Blight, it targets a better save, does comparable damage with a better damage type, has much greater range, AND has a powerful rider in exchange for being save-or-suck. A pretty clear upgrade.

My favorite spell is definitely Flame Stride, which is some dumb anime business I'm absolutely here for. Upcast this on a Horizon Walker and it's brilliant. I'd love to see this one available to Four Elements Monks as well since it would be both strong and thematically appropriate. Conditionally useful but looks like a lot of fun.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Breath Weapon in an attack routine makes Dragonborn a lot better for martials. I'm glad they can finally do it more than 1/day.

The Metallic breath weapons are pretty powerful, probably a bit overtuned.

Gem Dragon is definitely the best - flight and unusual damage types. I'd see their damage cut to d6s.

Kobold options look OK, although I'd rather have claws than a tail. Roar is odd.

The feats are kind of meh, nothing attention-grabbing initially.

Flame Stride looks kind of fun. I'd give this to a 4 Elements Monk.

Icingdeath's Frost is way better than Snilloc's Snowball. I'm wary of the action cost it imposes.

Psychic Lance is pretty nice. I think it's about right balance-wise for the level it's at.

Draconic Spirit's damage looks a bit anemic, but it isn't. At 6th level:
    Breath 2d6
    Bite/claw 1d6+10 x 3
    If everything hits, that's 5d6+30 (average 45) damage per round.
    With AC 20 and 60hp - HP is the weak point, but it has some good elemental resistances.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    I'm still rooting for Erac's Cousin's Betrayal of Everything. Wish I could give credit but I can't remember who said it first.

Hasbro would never authorize that title though.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    It's a smart play. Anti-synergies, as long as each effect is strong on their own, means you make characters more versatile and have a more developed theme without increasing their power level. It's like the opposite of specializing, which is selling one option to improve another. Done correctly, you get more than what you want and it doesn't change much in the long run. It's how dwarves make good druids and barbarians, but not too good.
    ... as long as you stick with PHB rules for dwarves instead of Tasha's.

I agree, antisynergies are good sometimes, but in this case my point is that the antisynergy leaves the overall feat too weak IMO to justify taking it for either use case. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2021-04-14 at 02:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

PHB dragonborn get a line-shaped breath weapon if they are of black, blue, brass, bronze or copper draconic ancestry, or a cone-shaped breath weapon if they are of gold, green, red, silver or white draconic ancestry. This, I think, matches the various dragons in the MM.

But in this UA, dragonborn get a line-shaped breath weapon from any chromatic ancestry, or a cone-shaped breath weapon from any metallic ancestry. That for sure does not match MM dragons.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    PHB dragonborn get a line-shaped breath weapon if they are of black, blue, brass, bronze or copper draconic ancestry, or a cone-shaped breath weapon if they are of gold, green, red, silver or white draconic ancestry. This, I think, matches the various dragons in the MM.

But in this UA, dragonborn get a line-shaped breath weapon from any chromatic ancestry, or a cone-shaped breath weapon from any metallic ancestry. That for sure does not match MM dragons.
    To be fair, the metallic dragons are deliberately inconsistent as well, e.g. copper dragons have both a line breath weapon AND a cone.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, the metallic dragons are deliberately inconsistent as well, e.g. copper dragons have both a line breath weapon AND a cone.
    I don't see that as an inconsistency. Each metallic dragon gets two breath weapons: one that deals elemental damage and one that has a more "phaser set to stun" flavor. No reason they should have the same shape.

It is actually pretty cool how, in this UA, metallic dragonborn get a second breath weapon as well. Although there are only two options (one that pushes and one that incapacitates) and they are not connected to your exact choice of ancestry.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Own thoughts to follow later today, spoilers: Hiho powercreep, race bloat and game fragmentation!

Being able to pick Cure Wounds up as a feat and choose your own casting stat is a big change from those examples though. V. Human and Custom Lineage both give the opportunity for a Wizard to get Int based Cure Wounds (backed by Arcane Recovery) without any progression delaying dips.

I don't think this is overall a huge problem, but this pick your own casting mod thing rubs me the wrong way when it feels like it should really be Cha (Dragons!) and imo it should be so easy to get stat synergistic healing spells on a Wizard, it dumps on class identity and power.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gyor View Post
    Despite Fizban being mentioned, this UA actually rules out a Dragonlance Campaign Book.

There are Dragonborn variant races, but NO DRACONIANS, yes there is a Metallic Dragonborn variant, but it doesn't match up to Draconians at all. If it was Draconians there would be 5 Dragonborn variants, all based on corrupted Metallic Dragon Breeds (Gold Dragon, Bronze, Silver, Brass, Copper), with specific names and powers, which aren't present.

Also all the named spells refer to Forgotten Realms lore except Fizban. Icinkingdeath is the nickname of the Dragon Drizzt slew. The one that casts a psychic lance is a an FR Gem Dragon. Nathiar is a Forgotten Realms God of Fey Dragons (which is why Clerics should also get access to that spell).

So either this is another Monster book with player options like VGTM and MTOFs (and as such also including the Feywild races) OR its a Faerun Campaign World Book because unlike Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms HAS Gem Dragons and Feyish Dragons.

The AFR set could confirm this if it has Fizban and Mordenkainen as Planeswalker cards.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they scrapped the Dragonlance campaign setting book during the lawsuit and turned it into a Faerun campaign setting book with a heavy dragon focus instead.

20. - Top - End - #50

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they scrapped the Dragonlance campaign setting book during the lawsuit and turned it into a Faerun campaign setting book with a heavy dragon focus instead.
    Oh, that would be truly hilarious..."Yeah, it turns out that the Abeir of Abeir-Toril you guys were so mad about in 4e was really Dragonlance lololol."

21. - Top - End - #51

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    V. Human and Custom Lineage both give the opportunity for a Wizard to get Int based Cure Wounds (backed by Arcane Recovery) without any progression delaying dips.

I don't think this is overall a huge problem, but this pick your own casting mod thing rubs me the wrong way when it feels like it should really be Cha (Dragons!) and imo it should be so easy to get stat synergistic healing spells on a Wizard, it dumps on class identity and power.
    To be fair, Artificer Initiate already exists in Tasha's and gives you Cure Wounds as an Int spell plus Guidance instead of the weird shielding thing. (It has its own clunkiness involving M components, but for pure power in the Wizard context I don't see how the draconic version is any more egregious.)
    Last edited by x3n0n; 2021-04-14 at 04:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

I don't know about anyone else, but this does not make me feel like a dragon. They seem...flat? Like, great, they added gem dragons. Wahoo.

But the feats are one-dimensional. Everything seems to be geared toward damage.

I look at this and I think, "Is this it? Is this the best Wizards of the Coast has to offer?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
    That is a distinct possibility, especially if they weren't very far along when the decision was made. It could also be AFR is going to have solid Dragon tribal theme to it, its symbol is a Dragons head after all. And some of the cards in Strixhaven and Kaldheim really seem to play up Dragon flavour despite neither set really being designed for Dragon Tribal, Kaldheim has 2 Dragons, Strixhaven has 5, but they all are different two colour combos, so hard to put more then 2 at most in the same deck with a few exceptions. So if they do a Faerun Campaign Book, they can reuse alot of that AFR art, we are talking hundreds of pieces of expensive art.

Either way its tied as the most likely book for these options.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    Oh, that would be truly hilarious..."Yeah, it turns out that the Abeir of Abeir-Toril you guys were so mad about in 4e was really Dragonlance lololol."
    LMFAO. Abeir really doesn't resemble Dragonlance at all, but that is still a funny thought.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but this does not make me feel like a dragon. They seem...flat? Like, great, they added gem dragons. Wahoo.

But the feats are one-dimensional. Everything seems to be geared toward damage.

I look at this and I think, "Is this it? Is this the best Wizards of the Coast has to offer?"
    You’re not the only one. Where’s the cool ribbons? The out of combat utility? I’m seeing a lot of combat stuff here, and not much of it appears to be very original.

That said, its competent. It might not fill me with inspiration but for UA this looks pretty balanced and on first eyeball I wouldn’t have a problem allowing this to be added into my game.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

........do these Dragon races STILL not get Darkvision?

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    You’re not the only one. Where’s the cool ribbons? The out of combat utility? I’m seeing a lot of combat stuff here, and not much of it appears to be very original.

That said, its competent. It might not fill me with inspiration but for UA this looks pretty balanced and on first eyeball I wouldn’t have a problem allowing this to be added into my game.
    Yeah, but it's been over half a decade since this edition came out. I want something that feels weird, that feels interesting. You could do the same thing they do with races that get inherent spellcasting by locking it behind higher levels (like how drow get darkness at 5th level).

Why can't I melt rocks and walls with my dragonfire, creating something that's not-quite-magma? Or inflict the charmed condition using my poison breath on them, using it as more of a narcotic than an airborne toxin? Why can't I blind someone with acid spit? Why can't I use my cold breath to freeze water? Or create something akin to a grease spell by making the floor icy? Why can't I use my lightning breath to stun someone?

Why can't I use my breath to try burn away someone's resistances? Why can't I channel my dragon-ness to cause awe or devotion? Why can't I spend a use of my dragon breath stuff to get truesight or heightened perception?

Even the damaging options aren't great - why is it only a 15 feet range?

This is all stuff it took me 15 minutes to come up with. Step up, WotC.

I'm just... yeah, it's balanced. Whoopee. I don't mean to sound like a grumpy grognard here, but I just want my players to do something more interesting. I've already got a barbarian who wants to do more than just say, "I attack."

(Sorry for the rant there, Kane0. Nothing on you, I'm just so tired of ancestry bloat. I just read Colville's the Illrigger class, and that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. A knight of Hell? Hell (pun intended) yeah!)
    Last edited by Sparky McDibben; 2021-04-14 at 05:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    ........do these Dragon races STILL not get Darkvision?
    I am partly of the opinion that they handed out darkvision too easily to everyone in 5e. There should have been greater variance from the very start. Now it's more of an annoyance when that one person in the party doesn't have it, unless they figure out how to get their hands on Goggles of Night Vision to completely eliminate the problem again.

I also believe that if they are going to hand out darkvision willy-nilly like they did, dragonborn should absolutely not be an exception. It's very silly.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Man the new Kobold looks fun to play. And by fun to play, I mean Draconic Roar looks busted.

Compare

Draconic Roar: As a bonus action you let out a draconic roar at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the end of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear the roar. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

with

Fighting Spirit: Starting at 3rd level, your intensity in battle can shield you and help you strike true. As a bonus action on your turn, you can give yourself advantage on all weapon attack rolls until the end of the current turn. When you do so, you also gain 5 temporary hit points. The number of hit points increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 10 at 10th level and 15 at 15th level.

You can use this feature three times. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

So yeah. It's a racial feature that's arguably much better than a decent Fighter subclass's premier feature. And it has a comparable number of uses from level 1-20. I hope it stays though because it would be hella fun to play, not only for the Kobold but also for the whole party that gets to ride on that sweet unconditional advantage.

30. - Top - End - #60

RedWizardGuy

After looking at this, I'm just confused by the kobold's Draconic Roar. When have they ever roared? I realize it's literally just the same thing as their previous ability with a new name, but...it doesn't fit them, at all.

Dragonborn look fine. They were a little weak to begin with, so the improvements shouldn't be overpowering.

And would it kill them to add spells to clerics? I haven't seen a new cleric spell since Xanathar's.