New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will Save World For Gold Too

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    El is obsessed with keeping them together.
    A sentiment she learned wasn't worth looking past certain actions when she left Ardon and Fortyfive during the construct invasion.

Also there are plenty of times where Odie didn't do what Ardon wanted, though you aren't wrong about the stupidity part.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-08-15 at 01:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So if 45 "confirmed no other intruders remain alive", does that mean he killed Kina and Chandea too?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seems like Ardon missed that option.^^

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ardon just praised an npc for doing a good job? Now that is character development.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: since this is the comic for the whole week
    Show
    How much xp does a 5th level character get from soloing the Tarrasque in 4th edition? What level is Tuvi Shattersteel now (or rather after her rest)?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-08-29 at 11:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Who is this again?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who is this again?
    I honestly have no idea.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Who is this again?
    She was the dwarf monk that they recruited into the party to take up Odie's striker slot after he died despite her being a lot lower level than the rest of them. Ardon tried to get her killed which Peanut only interpreted as "be a jerk to her to get her to quit". Despite being oblivious to both their attempts she did quit after one completed adventure due to their party drama and cussing. After which Fortyfive also quit as the whole ordeal made him realize their broken party was no longer worth his time.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-08-30 at 02:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

What I don't get, is if they have a lever that dispenses a ton of xp for fake winning the encounter, why they didn't hop out and let Kina pull the lever for them.

10. - Top - End - #70

I assume it isn't endless otherwise if they had methods to just pump out endless xp Ardon's brother would have probably gotten power leveled to 20. So maybe it is one use and needs to be refilled somehow?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I assume it isn't endless otherwise if they had methods to just pump out endless xp Ardon's brother would have probably gotten power leveled to 20. So maybe it is one use and needs to be refilled somehow?
    Still, you'd think they'd have the sense to use it on themselves rather than some random monk they barely know and don't even like.

12. - Top - End - #72

I'd bet more on the DTS somehow knowing who got the XP. They need a semi plausible opponent to defeat the Tarrasque, and if one of the people charged with piloting the Tarrasque 'defeated' it the DTS would smell a rat. Hence the argument on if a 5th level monk would be plausible even if the numbers get fudged.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

Why would the DTS care? They only care that the defeat looks plausible enough to fool the mortals.

14. - Top - End - #74

Theyd care because it means Ardon is abusing their superweapon to farm Xp for himself/his slaves. They're not exactly his biggest fans as we've seen and are already looking for plausible justification to arrest him.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Theyd care because it means Ardon is abusing their superweapon to farm Xp for himself/his slaves. They're not exactly his biggest fans as we've seen and are already looking for plausible justification to arrest him.
    Considering he murdered the agents sent to supervise him, teamed up with a robot they were in charge of destroying, and is in the process of destroying the DTS headquarters within the next hour I just don't buy the "keep a low profile" excuse. It's perfectly in character for Ardon (or any of the Eladrin we've seen) to want all that sweet XP for themselves, and it's far more probable to have Ardon's party defeat the thing than a 5th level monk, so if anything it would be less justification that way.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I decided to look up the answer to my question myself and I believe Tuvi is now level 18.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

i think the reason Ardon's party couldn't go out and fight the tarrasque for the xp themselves is simply because they were the ones piloting it, and no one has seen them anywhere near it, so it wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly appear and fight it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So I decided to look up the answer to my question myself and I believe Tuvi is now level 18.
    Would she get full xp since the robots ostensibly did all the work and she just landed the last hit? Not sure how 5e is supposed to work.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Would she get full xp since the robots ostensibly did all the work and she just landed the last hit? Not sure how 5e is supposed to work.
    I think that depends more on how the xp lever works than normal 4E (which is what the comic uses, not 5E) rules.

Which I also don't know anyways.

Edit: Also I think the reason they need to keep a low profile still is because they still need the DTS to teleport the Tarrasque back to their main base. Keep in mind that the Feywild can't scry on the inside of the robot base so they wouldn't know what happened to their agents.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-08-31 at 03:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am very surprised and confused that we are jumping to 3 months later. I would have assumed that the next part of the plan would have been immediate. Whether it worked or not it looks like we are only getting the aftermath (it even looks like they are closing off the Whitespire feygate).

Is the image of the Tarrasque detonating a bunch of nukes and then fighting the Seasons as it rampages in Feywild not an image we are getting or is it only for patrons?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-09-06 at 04:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

I am very surprised and confused that we are jumping to 3 months later. I would have assumed that the next part of the plan would have been immediate. Whether it worked or not it looks like we are only getting the aftermath (it even looks like they are closing off the Whitespire feygate).

Is the image of the Tarrasque detonating a bunch of nukes and then fighting the Seasons as it rampages in Feywild not an image we are getting or is it only for patrons?
    Yes, this feels very epiloguey. Strange to have the comic just skip past what seemed to be the actual coming climax. I hope we're wrong. I'd hate for such a good comic to have such a bad ending.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In the update after Ardon explained the plan, Ell did mention that they didn't known what they would do after but suggested telling everyone about the Eladrin threat. Perhaps they have finally figured out a plan to make sure the Eladrin can't retake their control of the material realm and the real climax is enacting that plan?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

Maybe...but having a string of comics where people stand around and talk about the awesome things they're going to do, and then skipping those events strikes me as bad writing. It's a visual medium, and honestly we could have just watched the actual events in a similar number of comics as we spent with the characters standing around talking about it.

I'm sure that would have been more work to draw though, and I get the impression that the author is ready to be done already. The last arc has felt incredibly rushed to me.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe...but having a string of comics where people stand around and talk about the awesome things they're going to do, and then skipping those events strikes me as bad writing.
    Well, genre-savvy readers know that whenever you get a scene where characters explain their plans, you're guaranteed that these plans will not happen. Because it'd be redundant to show you first an explanation of the plan and then the plan happening as previously planned.

So typically, either of two things happen:
    1. You've got a scene change as soon as the plan explanation starts to happen, so that the audience does not actually get to hear the plan. (A variant of this will give you small cutaway flashbacks of the planning as the plan happens, especially if it's all kind of confusing.)
    2. The plan is explained, but when it comes to executing it, it gets derailed immediately and the team has got to improvise something else.

I'll admit that a timeskip and an epilogue that may or may not address the question of whether or not the plan succeeded is an unusual move. Not unprecedented, but quite rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Well, genre-savvy readers know that whenever you get a scene where characters explain their plans, you're guaranteed that these plans will not happen. Because it'd be redundant to show you first an explanation of the plan and then the plan happening as previously planned.

So typically, either of two things happen:
    1. You've got a scene change as soon as the plan explanation starts to happen, so that the audience does not actually get to hear the plan. (A variant of this will give you small cutaway flashbacks of the planning as the plan happens, especially if it's all kind of confusing.)
    2. The plan is explained, but when it comes to executing it, it gets derailed immediately and the team has got to improvise something else.

Sure. That's why good stories don't have those scenes. There's a reason " show. Don't tell." Is one of the most commonly repeated bits of advice when it comes to storytelling.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-09-08 at 11:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

PaladinGuy

Considering precedent from other arcs in the webcomic, I'm expecting a sort of bait-and-switch here: we're going to get told something that changes our perspective on this epilogue and then a flashback explaining things. Notice how on today's page Ell says that "in the end, [she'll] be joining the Sons of Solemnity after all." What about Odie and Peanut? 45 and Ardon? Those are questions that will get their answers.

After that, we'll get the actual epilogue.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Apparently so.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #88

PaladinGuy

So, three Paladins, a Monk, and a Ranger. Pretty weird party, I got to say.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    So, three Paladins, a Monk, and a Ranger. Pretty weird party, I got to say.
    Add in the fact that the ranger and one of the paladins are much lower level then the rest (unless they glossed over them reaching Paragon tier in the course of the comic).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

Wonder why El and company haven't told her parents the truth about the Tarrasque yet.