New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will Save World For Gold Too

Come to think of it I am surprised that Odie isn't with Ell. I thought that he was going to tell her his feelings right after the Tarrasque mission was complete.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Add in the fact that the ranger and one of the paladins are much lower level then the rest (unless they glossed over them reaching Paragon tier in the course of the comic).
    The Sons of Solemnity were level 12 and Chandea hit level 11 when the party was travelling to Whitespire, while Ell is at least level 9 so she isn’t too far behind the SoS and Chandea. Tuvi is significantly higher level than everyone else, but there probably aren’t many adventurers close to her level to party with.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So it looks like there will be no post-story city occupied solely by independent robots. Just two robots living somewhere that is safe enough.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kind of surprised to see Ardon so excited for this, but he is married now.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kind of surprised to see Ardon so excited for this, but he is married now.
    He also gets to be invited to Spring's "special parties".

But tbh I don't think Ardon ever had genuine feelings for Ell. Perhaps for Odie, but not Ell.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

from the "finally" banner, i suspect everyone in the room has known about Ell and Odie's feelings for eachother and has just been waiting for them to admit it to one another for a long time.

also it's cute. shut up.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2021-09-24 at 06:45 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

I did get a chuckle out of Peanut's eyes in the previous update.

I guess this is the end of the comic that we're getting. People just standing around talking about the interesting things that happened and will happen that we didn't get to see. That's...an interesting choice. Surprised Odie and El didn't get together off panel as well at this point. Kinda feels like the author is just done with the project and wants to wrap it up as fast as possible.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. I guess it's over now. I still remember when LoneStarNorth was running what I think was a pixel-art play-by-post on the Goblins forums. It's been really cool seeing this project come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I guess this is the end of the comic that we're getting. People just standing around talking about the interesting things that happened and will happen that we didn't get to see. That's...an interesting choice. Surprised Odie and El didn't get together off panel as well at this point. Kinda feels like the author is just done with the project and wants to wrap it up as fast as possible.
    I'm not sure I'd necessarily conclude that LoneStarNorth just wants to be done with WSWFG. Epilogues generally tend to end like this: there's a gap between the last chapter and the chapters before it, and you get a hint of what happened in-between and what'll happen afterwards. Maybe this is rarer in webcomics than in books—I guess the former just tend to die out without a proper ending. In any case, 8-Bit Theater also ended similarly.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I'm not sure I'd necessarily conclude that LoneStarNorth just wants to be done with WSWFG. Epilogues generally tend to end like this: there's a gap between the last chapter and the chapters before it, and you get a hint of what happened in-between and what'll happen afterwards. Maybe this is rarer in webcomics than in books—I guess the former just tend to die out without a proper ending. In any case, 8-Bit Theater also ended similarly.
    Epilogues are to sum up the aftermath of a climax, not replace it. 8 bit didn't end that way at all. We had the whole confrontation with BM and the team, the fight against Sarda/chaos, etc. Sarda dies off screen, but it's to set up a joke and we see the immediate aftermath. This is like if 8 bit ended with the "heroes" on their way to Sarda and we heard about it while they sit in a tavern at the end. It's poorly written and it's lazy. Absolutely terrible ending to an otherwise good comic.

10. - Top - End - #100

PaladinGuy

I think there's something to keep in mind: this is not the climax. The climax was the Feywild arc, getting Ardon back, defeating the Nightmare Spirit and fixing Ardon and Teleese's political/familial problems. Everything after has been denouement, and this is the end of the denouement, wrapping up loose ends to send off the characters.

I honestly would have liked to see more of the adventure, the immediate aftermath of the DTS getting blown up and stuff but... It's not necessary. I like this epilogue, it has a feeling of calm and hope and, for once, the party isn't at each other's throats.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    I think there's something to keep in mind: this is not the climax. The climax was the Feywild arc, getting Ardon back, defeating the Nightmare Spirit and fixing Ardon and Teleese's political/familial problems. Everything after has been denouement, and this is the end of the denouement, wrapping up loose ends to send off the characters.

I honestly would have liked to see more of the adventure, the immediate aftermath of the DTS getting blown up and stuff but... It's not necessary. I like this epilogue, it has a feeling of calm and hope and, for once, the party isn't at each other's throats.
    I have a hard time believing that defeating the Feywild society as a whole (the true source of the troubles for Odie, Ardon, Fortyfive, Teleese, and (even if no one knows it) Ell) shouldn't be the climax. I guess I can't argue that it isn't the climax, but only because they skipped it.

As is the real final climax is convincing Fortyfive to rejoin the party.

Though it isn't completely over. According to the last blog post we will be getting five epilogues with the first one being on October 4th.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-09-29 at 02:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

There's also that 45's "redemption" is completely unearned. Ardon was a monster, but at least he recognized his mistakes and worked to fix them. 45 hasn't even admitted he did anything wrong. He's just agreed to stop murdering innocent people. For now. He's still an unrepentant mass murdering psychopath. Basically, the whole thing was just shoehorned in to get the party back together for the ending.

Maybe the epilogues will help, but everything since Ardon plugged 45 into the computer has been incredibly rushed.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seems weird that this wouldn't be foreshadowing a whole new storyline and is instead one of five final epilogues.

Spoiler
    Show
    I also have no idea why Teleese would join this alliance. She knew they where going to do something to stop Eladrin control of the mortal plane (so she could have easily had them stopped if she wanted to), but didn't want to stick her neck out to help them. So I couldn't even see her joining even to act as a double agent or otherwise sabotage them. Well, maybe if she has a plan to kill her father during this I suppose. I could see her consider taking him out worth the risk.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-04 at 04:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

I can see why she'd want to distance herself from Ardon. I can't see why she'd want to do it by throwing in with an idiot like Drake. Even if we don't consider plot armor, she has to know Ardon will come out on top of that confrontation. Maybe it's the double agent angle.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Seems weird that this wouldn't be foreshadowing a whole new storyline and is instead one of five final epilogues.

Spoiler
    Show
    I also have no idea why Teleese would join this alliance. She knew they where going to do something to stop Eladrin control of the mortal plane (so she could have easily had them stopped if she wanted to), but didn't want to stick her neck out to help them. So I couldn't even see her joining even to act as a double agent or otherwise sabotage them. Well, maybe if she has a plan to kill her father during this I suppose. I could see her consider taking him out worth the risk.
    So Ardon's parents and wife are all joining a conspiracy against him? Unless Teeleese isn't who i remember.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So Ardon's parents and wife are all joining a conspiracy against him? Unless Teeleese isn't who i remember.
    Teleese is Ardon's wife, Drakes daughter, and the Lady of Duckbunnies.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

.....is every epilogue going to foreshadow a storyline we won't actually see?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

.....is every epilogue going to foreshadow a storyline we won't actually see?
    Seems that way. I understand leaving things open ended for a "the adventure goes on" type of ending, but this is too much, especially this latest one as the return of the AI is not a new plot thread, like Drake's revenge, but a dangling plot thread from the story. This isn't teasing unseen plot, this is leaving things unresolved.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2021-10-07 at 02:05 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #109

Yeah unless the plan is to go "WSWFG is over but will start WSWFG 2 in a few months" this is just odd

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Not all stories need to be told. This is just the world going on without us, not exactly an issue.

Wasn't the tarrasque's brain supposed to have re-grown? How does it have enough machine in it still for the A.I. to take over?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Not all stories need to be told. This is just the world going on without us, not exactly an issue.
    That's literally what I just refuted. The AI returning is not the world going on; it's leaving this story unresolved. It is exactly an issue.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We kinda of already got an "the adventure goes on" ending with Ardon's final dialogue. I would also think such an ending should have those future adventures not be connected with the story we had been following so that it doesn't feel like things are unresolved (which I thought was the point of separating the party from the Eladrin quest).

Even Drake's alliance just gives a feeling of things being unresolved since he is a recurring villain that hasn't given up or been killed yet.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-07 at 02:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Both Drake and the A.I. are side-villains at best though. Sure they both had their moments, but all in all their contributions to the story have been pretty small.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Both Drake and the A.I. are side-villains at best though. Sure they both had their moments, but all in all their contributions to the story have been pretty small.
    The AI was literally the mastermind behind the construct invasion, the defeat of whom served as the story's climax.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly feel like the Nightmare Spirit had more weight to him.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly feel like the Nightmare Spirit had more weight to him.
    So? The nightmare spirit was not the end boss. Darth Vader had way more presence in Star Wars, but Palpatine was still the big bad.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And I still say that Ardon's final dialogue was perfectly suited for an "the adventure goes on" ending. Maybe could have also thrown in a montage of example adventures that they go on (like a crazy monster that is holding the horse Odie lost), not full scenes of different villains getting ready to return.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-08 at 02:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The heroes riding into the proverbial sunset, off to new adventures was fine, it's a classic for a reason.

But this feels less like epilogues and more like sequel bait/teasing. Like post-credit scenes.
    Or trolling. You thought those plots were resolved?
    They just started! And you don't get to see them.
    Depends on what comes next I guess.

Oddly enough I'd have less of a problem if those were new enemies plotting their moves.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

This story no longer deserves spoiler tags.

This one doesn't even make sense. We saw the nightmare spirit get destroyed well after she left, it had no opportunity to transfer to her, and it doesn't even work that way. Not to mention retroactively undoing yet another resolution.

It also doesn't help that the author seems to be doing some sort of asinine victory lap on twitter about how terrible his ending is and how much he's enjoying annoying his former fans. At this point, even if the last epilogue ended with "Surprise, we're releasing a sequel!" I wouldn't read it. All trust and respect for the author has been thoroughly destroyed. I haven't seen the ending of a work retroactively ruin a formerly good story so bad ever before.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-10-10 at 11:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Now this is just so bad. Like, what was even the point of this story if the characters literally accomplished nothing?