New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Will Save World For Gold Too

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Wow. Now this is just so bad. Like, what was even the point of this story if the characters literally accomplished nothing?
    At this point I fully expect the final epilogue to be Ardon reverting to being a sociopathic monster, and El and Odie breaking up since those were the literally the only plot points that haven't been undone so far.

Oh, maybe Odie's family can get kidnapped again and Peanut can have some brain damage. That way we'll have truly come full circle.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    At this point I fully expect the final epilogue to be Ardon reverting to being a sociopathic monster, and El and Odie breaking up since those were the literally the only plot points that haven't been undone so far.

Oh, maybe Odie's family can get kidnapped again and Peanut can have some brain damage. That way we'll have truly come full circle.
    And they run into a pack of ghouls that drain them all back down to level 1.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

And they run into a pack of ghouls that drain them all back down to level 1.
    Of course. And the party breaks up so the comic ends with Odie sitting on the street holding his sign. Full circle.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is the author just trolling now?
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2021-10-11 at 07:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Is the author just trolling now?
    Yes.

That has been his writing style, but I still really don't get why he is doing that at the end of the story.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-11 at 08:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

So these are three more badguys returning into operation: The nightmare effer, the timetravel demon and the technosquiddies that were nuked by the eladrin before.

What's next, the Archwarlock re-appearing with the two coward guards, the animal-controlling sorcerer-kid and his black super-bull as henchmen?

Is Lonestar already writing the sequel which will be published under a new name?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

the final update is just going to be all these returning villains clashing into one another as they try to enact their plans, nullifying eachother and making like none of it happened.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2021-10-15 at 07:19 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    the finaly update is just going to be all these returning villains clashing into one another as they try to enact their plans, nullifying eachother and making like none of it happened.
    I would be fine with that, get a chuckle out of it.

Still seems a bit weird to make five epilogues just to tell a brick joke and/or troll the readers.

And I also don't know why he would need to change the name, or do a sequel story at all vs. just continuing this one. I am still pretty sure they never actually got gold for saving the world.

I would say these are adventure hooks for for a D&D book or something, except the first one only matters to the main characters of the webcomic.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-14 at 02:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    the finaly update is just going to be all these returning villains clashing into one another as they try to enact their plans, nullifying eachother and making like none of it happened.
    It wouldn't salvage the epilogue, but it would be better than anything else I can think of that might happen from here.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I've been following this comic for so long now that I only vaguely remember everything that happened. I was planning on binge rereading it now that it's over, but this ending has changed mind. I think I'd rather just move on.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

You know, I've been following this comic for so long now that I only vaguely remember everything that happened. I was planning on binge rereading it now that it's over, but this ending has changed mind. I think I'd rather just move on.
    I did a re-read right before the ending. On one hand, I'm glad I did because the epilogue really managed to bring down the story retroactively, and I wouldn't have done so afterwards. On the other hand, the drop in quality was stark.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

I just started to reread this, and look what i found after few pages:
    https://willsaveworldforgold.com/comic/2011-09-21/
    The crown of ackuul rah!
    Last edited by bbkilla; 2021-10-19 at 01:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Epilogues are to sum up the aftermath of a climax, not replace it. 8 bit didn't end that way at all. We had the whole confrontation with BM and the team, the fight against Sarda/chaos, etc. Sarda dies off screen, but it's to set up a joke and we see the immediate aftermath. This is like if 8 bit ended with the "heroes" on their way to Sarda and we heard about it while they sit in a tavern at the end. It's poorly written and it's lazy. Absolutely terrible ending to an otherwise good comic.
    I thought it was quite alright. It wasn't an exceptional ending, but you can't always hit a home run, And it felt fitting to me—WSWFG always felt like it had extra threads lying around. Might as well shine a light on the incompleteness.

Of course, I wish there weren't all these extra epilogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    And I still say that Ardon's final dialogue was perfectly suited for an "the adventure goes on" ending. Maybe could have also thrown in a montage of example adventures that they go on (like a crazy monster that is holding the horse Odie lost), not full scenes of different villains getting ready to return.
    Yeah, definitely seconding.

We saw the nightmare spirit get destroyed well after she left, it had no opportunity to transfer to her, and it doesn't even work that way. Not to mention retroactively undoing yet another resolution.
    I think one of the epilogues might've explained how it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by bbkilla View Post
    I just started to reread this, and look what i found after few pages:
    https://willsaveworldforgold.com/comic/2011-09-21/
    The crown of ackuul rah!
    Nice find!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is really the only epilogue that helped enhance the story in my opinion. I really enjoy it even as I feel the other four soured things.

Also any guesses as to what class Schmoopy took?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-10-20 at 08:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    This is really the only epilogue that helped enhance the story in my opinion. I really enjoy it even as I feel the other four soured things.

Also any guesses as to what class Schmoopy took?
    If all he cares about is the extra HP, then probably barbarian.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

Something that can reliably use a scroll of sending I'd say.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Exclamation Re: Will Save World For Gold Too

Blog post about LoneStarNorth’s work moving forward. https://willsaveworldforgold.com/202...orld-for-gold/ .

I recorded a bit of LoneStarNorth’s talks, prior to the above post, from a twitch stream on October 24th if anyone is interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save World for Gold 2: NOT confirmed. It is not happening, so says LSN.
    “Why would you reveal […] certain plot lines aren’t as resolved as we thought?”

“To answer, a Tad Williams quote/paraphrase from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (epic fantasy). We learn a prophesy about a pair of twins, of the hardship they will someday face. Williams was asked about this ending and these new characters or mentioned in an afterword. He answered with ‘No, at this time I don’t have any intention of continuing this story and world. I wanted to show the readers that even though this story is done, the world in which it took place is still going on.’”

“The point of the epilogues- the world will go on. People are free to write about or speculate about what will happen.”
    “Again, Will Save Multiverse for Gold won’t be a thing. The next thing I’m going to work on- still untitled- is going to be a community-based sort of game comic. Homestuck/Problem Sleuth but with more game elements, Dwarf Dungeon, Goblins Comic forum games, and so-on. Small group of characters are given instructions/suggestions from the audience.”

“It is going to have permadeath. If the main character, it ends, no retries or continuation. This is a fun experiment, not the next BIG project following WSWFG. This thing will still be a narrative, a story, it will have jokes/humor.”

I understand if the forum doesn’t agree with his angle for the epilogues, but this was his intent.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rilmani View Post
    Blog post about LoneStarNorth’s work moving forward. https://willsaveworldforgold.com/202...orld-for-gold/ .

I recorded a bit of LoneStarNorth’s talks, prior to the above post, from a twitch stream on October 24th if anyone is interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save World for Gold 2: NOT confirmed. It is not happening, so says LSN.
    “Why would you reveal […] certain plot lines aren’t as resolved as we thought?”

“To answer, a Tad Williams quote/paraphrase from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (epic fantasy). We learn a prophesy about a pair of twins, of the hardship they will someday face. Williams was asked about this ending and these new characters or mentioned in an afterword. He answered with ‘No, at this time I don’t have any intention of continuing this story and world. I wanted to show the readers that even though this story is done, the world in which it took place is still going on.’”

“The point of the epilogues- the world will go on. People are free to write about or speculate about what will happen.”
    “Again, Will Save Multiverse for Gold won’t be a thing. The next thing I’m going to work on- still untitled- is going to be a community-based sort of game comic. Homestuck/Problem Sleuth but with more game elements, Dwarf Dungeon, Goblins Comic forum games, and so-on. Small group of characters are given instructions/suggestions from the audience.”

“It is going to have permadeath. If the main character, it ends, no retries or continuation. This is a fun experiment, not the next BIG project following WSWFG. This thing will still be a narrative, a story, it will have jokes/humor.”

I understand if the forum doesn’t agree with his angle for the epilogues, but this was his intent.
    I get the intent, but you are right that I still disagree that he needed to dig up finished plotlines to make that point. The final epilogue plus Ardon's final speech are more than enough. The other epilogues are less "The world moves on" and more "problems don't actually get solved".
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-11-07 at 10:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Yeah, hard pass on his future works. I'm perfectly capable of making my own stories if I want. That's not the reason I invest in someone else's work.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Williams was asked about this ending and these new characters or mentioned in an afterword."
    See, that's what Lone Star missed. He didn't introduce new plots; he dredged up old ones and undid the entirety of the comic's story. He didn't hint at future content that would never be explored; he left the existing content unfinished, never to be resolved.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

That's very well said. It's one thing to be told "the adventure goes on" and quite another to be told "we didn't actually resolve any plot lines, make up your own endings."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know I won't get answers and, for this particular question, I am fine with that but how did Schmoopy get an adventurer class anyways? Isn't the whole deal with Ardon's backstory that an NPC can't just take on a class? He had to break to the world to get a class and it came back slightly broken since he can't get feats.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-11-10 at 01:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe your question is its own answer? Ardon broke the world, and now that its broken, other NPCs can use the loophole he carved out.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Maybe your question is its own answer? Ardon broke the world, and now that its broken, other NPCs can use the loophole he carved out.
    If Schmoopy is using the same loophole that means he can't get feats as well. Which I suppose isn't really a problem for him since he is just interested in the bonus hp anyways and probably won't level up much.

Also no point in speculating his class since he would be given a random one.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-11-10 at 04:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

I would bet that the answer is that the author put the same amount of thought into that as he did the rest of the ending. None.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Huh ... I quit reading this comic at some point but did consider picking it back up eventually (I mostly just lost track of where I left of and felt too lazy to figure it out.)

... By the sound of it maybe not entirely worth the investment to continue?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Huh ... I quit reading this comic at some point but did consider picking it back up eventually (I mostly just lost track of where I left of and felt too lazy to figure it out.)

... By the sound of it maybe not entirely worth the investment to continue?
    It's good most of the way through and falls off an incredibly sharp cliff at the last 10% or so.

The second half isn't as good as the first, but the decline in quality doesn't really hit hard until the end.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-11-11 at 11:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Exclamation Re: Will Save World For Gold Too

Announcement: Will Save World for Gold's discord, https://discord.gg/swMDHMd5 , is having a community celebration for the anniversary of the first published page. The story has ended, but the impact it has on us will live on. On August 12th we will hold discussions, have multiple character votes, and share fan art. Join now if you want to help us prepare! If you are an artist or writer, we would welcome your contributions for this celebration.

We want to use this opportunity to thank LoneStarNorth for all of his hard work. In addition you can talk about his ongoing project Dungeon Eyes, which currently has over 200 pages of glorious pixel art.
    Last edited by Rilmani; 2022-09-08 at 04:48 PM. Reason: remove Ko-Fi mention, possibly against TOS

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

The story has ended, but the impact it has on us will live on.
    Legit, I completely forgot this comic existed until right now.