New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Magic item help, goblin rune knight Great weapon

Tiny is a Goblin that became a Rune Knight after he was rescued during a blue dragon attack. His savior, a Storm Giant, took him under his care.
    He trained him and after a few years Tiny was ready. As his graduation he forged a magical weapon. His completly unrealistic goal is to once become a storm giant.

Tiny has the great weapon fighting style (because a goblin with a greatsword is funny, especialy when he uses Giant's Might)

He is 5th level and starting his Journey. Our DM is giving every character a starting magical item. I expect that it wil be a uncommon item, maybe rare. I will have a talk with my DM in a few days to "negotiate" about my item.

I am looking for inspiration for a magic weapon for Tiny. What wacky, usefull but NOT overpowerd ideas do you have?
    (wildemount setting).
    Last edited by DwarfDM; 2021-04-15 at 04:53 AM.
    When the party dies. It is never the DM's fault.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Magic item help, goblin rune knight Great weapon

You do know that if you don’t have Giant’s Might running you can’t even use the Greatsword properly? Like it’s not possible for small creatures without incurring disadvantage?
    Last edited by prototype00; 2021-04-15 at 05:49 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfFighterGuy

Yes I do, but I don't care.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

There were a handful of magic items in Storm King's Thunder (and one in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage) that used runes (e.g. the shard of the Ise rune gave you a handful of ice-related powers). One of the cool parts of them was that you could transfer their magic onto another item in some way. I don't think there's a perfect fit for you there, but I would ask if your sword could have the properties of one of those items (e.g. a greatsword of the Ise rune, which has the properties of the shard). If not, just ask for it to be a greatsword that had the magic of either the ingot of the Skold rune (+1 to AC while wielding the weapon), the opal of the Ild rune (+1d6 fire damage), or the Shield of the Uven rune (+1 to attack and damage, +3 against a specific creature type) transferred to it.
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

5. - Top - End - #5

Lightbulb Re: Magic item help, goblin rune knight Great weapon

Are there any magic items with a couple of charges of enlarge built into them ?
    Last edited by N810; 2021-04-16 at 07:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
    There were a handful of magic items in Storm King's Thunder (and one in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage) that used runes (e.g. the shard of the Ise rune gave you a handful of ice-related powers). One of the cool parts of them was that you could transfer their magic onto another item in some way. I don't think there's a perfect fit for you there, but I would ask if your sword could have the properties of one of those items (e.g. a greatsword of the Ise rune, which has the properties of the shard). If not, just ask for it to be a greatsword that had the magic of either the ingot of the Skold rune (+1 to AC while wielding the weapon), the opal of the Ild rune (+1d6 fire damage), or the Shield of the Uven rune (+1 to attack and damage, +3 against a specific creature type) transferred to it.
    That sounds awesome, however my DM has informed us today that it has to be an uncommon item. I was bouncing ideas of a friend and we homebrewed this:

Tiny Giant, (greatsword, requires attunement)

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
    When this weapon is wielded by a small creature it automatically shrinks to accommodate its wielder. It also loses the heavy property, its weight is reduced to 4lb and its damage dice change to 2d4.

Thoughts anyone?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfDM View Post
    That sounds awesome, however my DM has informed us today that it has to be an uncommon item. I was bouncing ideas of a friend and we homebrewed this:

Tiny Giant, (greatsword, requires attunement)

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
    When this weapon is wielded by a small creature it automatically shrinks to accommodate its wielder. It also loses the heavy property, its weight is reduced to 4lb and its damage dice change to 2d4.

Thoughts anyone?
    So you basically want two magic items for the low low price of one? Not uncommon, sorry.

What I'd suggest is when it's small, it has +1 to Hit, deals 1d8 (2d4 is fine, but I personally hate rolling d4s more than I need to) and when it's large, it has +1 Dam. This way it would still be uncommon, lets you use it regardless of size, and you can pick if you want more hit or more damage. (I picked hit for small and dam for large so that you essentially get 3 more points of damage when large (2 from dice, 1 from the magic) to make it feel more impactful.)
    Trollbait extraordinaire

8. - Top - End - #8

The weapons made magical by the ingot of the Skold rune and the opal of the Ild rune are uncommon magic items. Also, your weapon deals less damage than a longsword wielded on two hands. 1d10 reroll 1s and 2s ≈ 6.3 damage versus 2d4 reroll 1s and 2s ≈ 6.
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-04-16 at 09:33 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #9

Uncommon weapon? Don't go for a mechanical bonus.

Go for a cool freaking image!

Table Knife of the Storm King

When you strike with this greatsword, a chill wind blows from the north, causing the wielders cloak to billow impressively and covering eyebrows of both the wielder and their target in a with a thin layer of frost. This causes no additional damage. This weapon counts as magic for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction.
    As an action the wielder may touch the Table Knife of the Storm King to cool up to five cubic feet of water to a temperature below freezing without causing it to become solid; any exterior of any container holding this liquid is instantly frosted over.

Bam. Bypasses magic weapon resistance, makes you look like the god $%^& batman, makes your ale frosty.

What more could you want?

10. - Top - End - #10

While I appreciate going for something cool, that weapon fits more in line with a common magic item.
    Goblin in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #11

It's the equivalent of two uncommon items... three, perhaps, if you stretch the definition.

Cloak of Billowing, specifically, which is the best common magic item. The "bypasses resistance to magical weapons" of the moon-touched sword, the twinkiest common magic item. And a unique ability that would be easily encompassed by a separate common magic item. But it's got some utility, too; the wind coming from the north means that it's harder to get lost. Being able to chill a fairly large volume of water could come in handy, too, for the creative player.

3 qualities, one item. Two of which are more useful for the exploration side of the game.

12. - Top - End - #12

Having multiple minor properties doesn't make it worth multiple common items. The capacity for a magic item to have minor properties has existed since the DMG came out. If a DM wanted to, they could give a Moon-Touched Sword the compass minor property and let you chill things as an action, and it would still be a single common item.
    Goblin in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

More importantly, it doesn't address the OPs desire/need to have the weapon resize depending on their current state.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
    The weapons made magical by the ingot of the Skold rune and the opal of the Ild rune are uncommon magic items. Also, your weapon deals less damage than a longsword wielded on two hands. 1d10 reroll 1s and 2s ≈ 6.3 damage versus 2d4 reroll 1s and 2s ≈ 6.
    Those are great, I wil confer with my DM about those items. I should talk with him later.

And I know the damage from my weapon is les than a longsword. But I did it for two reasons.
    - One: I would still have a usefull magic item while small. And the reduced damage is the compromise for having more than just a +1 weapon. So making it weaker while small compensates for the fact that I effectively have two weapons wrapped into one.
    - Two: So it would still resemble a greatsword, just one that is designed for a small creature. So two damage dice and no versitile option. Also I prefered 2d4 over 1d10 because my d4 dice never get any attention And I will get more rerolls thanks to the fighting style. Which is nice.
    Last edited by DwarfDM; 2021-04-17 at 08:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

A weapon that "resembles a greatsword sized for a Small creature" just sounds like a longsword. If you forged it, there is no reason your character couldn't refer to it as their greatsword. It would just mechanically be a longsword. I recommend just going with a longsword of the Ild rune. It has a similar average damage compared to a +1 greatsword (even accounting for chance to hit), while still being thematic.
    Last edited by thoroughlyS; 2021-04-17 at 04:58 PM.
    Goblin in the Playground

16. - Top - End - #16

Wraps of Deftness
    Uncommon - Requires Attunement
    This strip of leather is marked with the phrase "Death is lighter than a feather. Duty is heavier than a mountain." in Elven. As part of attuning to this item, the user winds the strip of leather around the handle or grip of a weapon. As long as the wraps remain attached, the weapon becomes magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance. Additionally, in the hands of the attuned character the weapon becomes much easier to wield; it loses the Heavy property if it has it and gains the Finesse property if it did not already have it.

This would let you use a greatsword with no size penalty, and will continue to be useful even when you find better weapons. The downside is that you can't use a weapon with this enhancement with the Great Weapon Master feat. I did the most 'broken' thing you can do with this item, which is sneak attacking with polearm master, and it was fine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, the power attack portion of GWM. The cleave on a crit works with any weapon.
    Trollbait extraordinaire