Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 72: Halfway to a Gross

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Fayyaad doesn't really think of himself as a hero. He's got a swashbuckling streak, particularly when attractive people are there to see him, but he won't launch himself into danger without a good reason. Sadly, a giant wall of vines growing in his way qualifies. So do monsters who leap out and start trying to prey on children. Fayyaad takes a short rod from his belt. It unfolds into a long, black staff in his hand. He doesn't launch into an attack on the goblins just yet, since whatever they are, there's probably more of them around. For now he takes cover nearby, waiting for more of them to show up. Once he has a good idea of their numbers, he can try intervening.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Abandoned Hospital

Blam! Blam! Blam!
    The machine recoils from the shots, sparks flying. But it's not dead. It quickly folds up and slips back into the vent from which it came.
    That encounter, while brief, may be worrying. What was that? Why is it here?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Philip Memorial Library

"Oh, well. Maybe your vision was of the moments you were lost and your identity changed from one thing to the other? It must have been traumatic for you to have lost your memories." Sphinx suggests.
    "But yeah, we have books on kumiho if that's what you're looking for." They're pretty dangerous so of course PML has books on them.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Delmah Phor

Raril notices Eun's yawn. "I'm not boring you am I?" He asks, chuckling. "I can be quite entertaining, actually. I'm a musician by trade. I could sing a song?" He suggests.

Belarn wiggles a little in a happy way as they cross onto the grass, her snout snuffling into the greenery. Raril gives a little tug on the reins, bringing her back to serious attention and her steady gate. He mutters something in drow to her. Seems to be something along the lines of "Behave, have patience."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Unicorns]

Butler is contemplating whether he should gather all the bottles filled with watery liquids and just buy them all and hope Tellysandra will be able to tell what is what when Moonlight says something! Well that's good.

Because the other option was going to be waiting for her to finish her book.

The whole thing.

Butler stands from the crouch he was in, turning towards the unicorn and smiling. "Hello ma'am. I'm Butler B. Butler ma'am. Nice to meet you ma'am. Do you sell Unicorn Tears here ma'am?"

There was a lot of things here. She probably sold them. Maybe.

He gives a bow, but that causes him to bump into the shelf he was just looking at. Oh no! He got too polite and might have knocked something over.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-07-19 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Black Dragon's Den]

June accepts the number, and pretends to be disappointed that he doesn't want another drink.

"I'll make sure she gets this and calls you when things settle down!" June says. She slips it into the closest thing she has to a pocket. "Be safe on your way home!"

[Looking for Jo]

Since the two of them are moving to the side, the arrows won't get close to hitting the downed succubus.

Carmen whistles as she watches him crush those hinges: "Wow, that's really impressive. I wonder what else you can do with that strength."

Carmen tells him that, up ahead, the cave opens up even farther and there's several paths. The one second-to-the-left leads to where her old room was, so that might be a good place to look first. Also, to the right, there's records room and the leaders' offices so those might be good places to check if looking for information, too.

First, though, as they go in farther, there's several more arrows that fly, including several that would hit them if not for the door-shield.

And then several succubi, all with bows that they're firing or about to fire.
    When they realize that they're not firing at a paladin, they lower their bows, but keep them ready to fire: "Halt! Who are you and what are you doing? And what happened?"[/color]
    [Black Dragon's Den]

Zfir just waves and leaves. (Posting to give any people options if they wanna talk to him or hunt him. Not sure if there is a bounty on him)

[Looking for Jo]

Fade doesn't seem to be flattered. In his cold voice he replies. "I still miss a shadow that allowed me the abilities of a planeswalker."

Having the warning it is kinda easy to dogde the arrows and with the Shield it's also very easy. On top he is going slower so he sees the arrows befor they fully expose.

Fade would suggest going to her room. He will state that due to the time that passed it might not be her room anymore. But since her sister might have been here she might use her room.

Meeting defenders is a bit of a suprise. He thought they are mostly wounded and unable to fight anymore. It seems like the paladin has used the time field to it's full potential. I might add Fade still has the hand glues to sword problem so he walks around with sword and shield, both are obviously bigger then usefull fr a human.

"We don't know what happaned unless a paladin was here some time ago attacking you. We seek for someone, hoping to find her here." He looks around if anyone may be Jo right now.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Hermit's Homes

"I'm afraid I can't close the deal without full down payment, but on the plus side I can give you these back until such a time as you have more money." And it's also possible he could go through the smuggler's mirror and ask Frigate for some; the warforged will probably share if he knows that it's required to get him off the island and into a city. Or, since the door's broken, he could just go back and move the mirror downstairs to somewhere with a more solid floor than the attic.
    The swordsman panics a little. He was sure he'd be able to work this out in one go. "Do you accept possessions as collatetal?", he asks. He takes the rapier he found from the mansion attic off his sash and displays it to the elf. "I'd really like to get this sorted now rather than later."

8. - Top - End - #758

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Sewer System Purple]

Can't? That doesn't make sense, sincethey can-
    But then, how much do they know about fey? Very little.
    "We have an agreement, then."

"You may have your forces take this creature with you, and use it to contact us more easily." The vox scrambles a bit closer to the proper demons.

The mutant watches Sargon's projection carefully, and if he doesn't do or say anything outrageous, will turn and walk back the way it arrived.
    The angel turns to Pyrthon, and makes a 'follow me' gesture with their claws.
    They are kind of wondering, is Jaccalish a chief scientist for all the demons? Isn't that a weird position to exist? Or if they're Sargon's lead scientist, why is Pyrthon best to reach them?
    [Sewer System Purple]

"I'm glad we could make an agreement." Sargon remarks with a deep curt nod before turning to the red group. "Take it."

The soldiers walks over to obey this command.

Meanwhile, the blue group have turned to follow Pyrthon as he walks after the 'angels'.

Sargon still has questions however. "So how will we contact one another in the future? I believe it would be good if we decide to have regular meetings and report to one another, even if there's nothing to say." Though most of those could probably be off-screen.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Riftline Station]

The world melts away.

How long is she inside the inky bubble? How long is she being reborn in that black womb?

Khannie wouldn't be able to say.

-if she had been a normal human girl. Or even your average pokemon. But Khannie has something to provide her with a second perspective on everything! Her familiar Maridia!

Oh.

Wait.

Maridia is asleep in an ice cream coma. The fairy dragon snorts and kicks one leg in her sleep. Fat load of help you are, Maridia.

When the cocoon peels away it does so in a flash of silver light and a swirl of deep purple fabric. They spin faster and faster, tighter and tighter, until they resolve into the form of a human girl of about twelve years of age. Brownish hair with a long pony tail in the back. Steely eyes blinking. She's clad in a cute little dress of silver and purple and lavender with notable silver boots and gloves. A deep purple scarf, almost back in color, is wrapped around her neck and flapping in a phantom breeze. Little amethyst points glitter on the knuckles of her gauntlets. A big lavender bow on her pony-tail capped with a glittering purple stone shines in the cheerful sun.

Khannie Vallarm looks down at her hands, flexing her fingers. She takes in a deep breath, filling her lungs. She touches her face, feeling her nose. It's real.

It's all real.

She's really, really real.

Khannie breaks into a huge, idiot grin as she stoops down and tries to scoop up the weird little white cat creature.

"You did it! You really did it just like you said you would! I'm human I'm a real human girl!"

Tears stream down her face, glittering in the sun along with the gems on her Magical Girl outfit.

"This is one of the most wonderful days in my whole life!" she sequels with delight. Should all go as planned she hold the odd cat aloft for a few moments before hugging him to her chest and spinning in a little circle. "I feel... I feel so ALIVE! And strong! Like I could clobber a million bad-guys and never run out of PP! You said there are witches how do I find them do any of 'em need punched?"
    "Of course you are, that was your wish."
    It allows itself to be collected and appreciated. It feels an awful lot like a stuffed animal that happens to be warm, but is very slightly too squishy to feel entirely like a normal animal.
    "I think at this precise moment, witch activity is low, but I can alert you if that changes. You should take some time to acquaint yourself with your new body, to ensure you're ready for any troubles that come along."

While there's no need to relearn specifically how to move one's toes and fingers and the like, there's still the manner of getting out the initial excitement buzz and maybe practicing techniques...
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #760

[Riftline Station]

Khannie hugs the weird white cat one more time, just for good measure. Maridia is getting excited from all this hugging, so the fairy dragon gets a hug, too. She sets both small creatures down on the bench rolls her shoulders. "Use to my new body? I've been human before but it was just a temporary magic thing. This feels different, definitely."

She tries punching.

Just a quick jab at the air.

Left jab.

Right hook.

Then a blur of motion as she throws a series of twelve or so punches in the span of a heartbeat.

"Comet punch still works," Khannie observes as she walks hops in a little circle, cranking back and- "EEEEIAAH!"

Throws a wild hay-maker.

"Huh, no lightning punch, though," she says, opening and closing her fingers as she looks down at her hand, contemplating the notable lack of arcing electricity. "It feels like I could-"

She tugs at her scarf, allowing it to loosen slightly as she punches again. The deep purple end of the scarf seems to almost unravel into a billowing cloud of fabric that her fist simply vanishes into its shimmering folds. At the same time another, much larger scarf portal appears some distance away as a fist the size of a semi-truck comes careening out of it and smashes a crater into the park across the street.

"Eep!"

Khannie quickly retracts her arm, fabric portal and giant gauntlet vanishing.

"Okay, uh, that's kind of like shadow punch I guess?" she mutters sheepishly. "I guess my Magical Girl powers are a lot like the sorts of moves I knew as a pokemon. That should make getting into the swing of fighting easier. I already know how to fight. I'm pretty tough."

Khannie is pretty tough according to Khannie.

[Philip Memorial Library]

"Maybe some books on the Dreamheart itself, too," Tristan suggests. "And if anyone has ever been able to recover memories from it. My faerie recollections are a bit fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it works a lot like the River Lethe from the Greek stories. The place of forgetfulness. It's just that all those memories stay there. An whole ocean of forgotten thoughts, memories, and desires."

That would make it pretty hazardous to navigate, wouldn't it?

Slipping below the surface is certain dissolution. But what if something were bobbing helplessly in the waves refusing to sink?

[Hunting for Unicorns]

*THUMP!*

Several of the shelves wobble as a particularly delicate looking crystal falls off a display stand-

-only to be caught in Moonlight's shimmering magical glow and caaaaarefully placed back on the stand.

Good thing her reflexes were quick! That would have been tragic, Butler knocking something off a shelf and breaking it.

"Unicorn Tears?" Moonlight asks once the rush of rescuing the crystal subsides. "That's a bit of an unusual reagent. What sort do you need?"

Oh no.

There's more than one kind? Maybe Butler can just get one of each and hope one of them will work for his employer's business meeting?

[Mossman Park]

"I mean... I guess maybe? I liked wine a lot before I was a tree spirit," the dryad replies a bit hesitantly. It's easy to forget that the rudeness of pixies is proportional to their cuteness. But more often than not they'll be quite happy to remind you. "Hmm... well... there's a magical stream like that by the great big tree in Plum Mountain Park. That's where the party was. I guess the gaiad sisters that used to be there are gone now? I think they might have died, it's really sad."

So sad.

The kelpie, meanwhile, looks unconvinced by dubious reports of gun horses.

He doesn't reply about the name collecting retort, mostly he just quietly contemplates what it might mean for a mortal to have many names. What a strange creature this pixie was before she was splintered. A strange creature, still. It's unfortunate that the pixies got to her, no doubt as part of one of their frivolous arguments. He would have enjoyed the chance to kill and eat her; she seems like an interesting person.

"A mortal with all black eyes is certainly an oddity," the horse muses. "Perhaps they are possessed? Such things do happen from time to time. But believe me, when you meet a ghost it will be unmistakable. There's no confusing them for anything else."

The horse sounds quite certain on this point.

Also meanwhile!

The humming pixies are mostly sipping out of some nice flowers they found nearby. "There are lots of ways any doof knows that but I guess since you're NEW it's okay that you don't know yet," one of the humming pixies pipes up. "Sometimes you can just wander into a wild part of a park and keep going and POW you're in the Enchanted Forest! Or you can use one of those big tree portal things. Or find a door with some stairs leading down into the forest. Some faeries know how to make those doors but that's a dumb thing to know how to do I wouldn't ever need to do that."

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Two heroes approach.

One a blindfolded sword wielding magical woman and the other a classy looking tiefling. They'll both be treated to a scene-

Well not both. Since Harley is blindfolded.

-a scene of the overturned minivan being swarmed by goblins. Six little ones and one big one with a slick red cap. The biggest goblin is hanging back, watching the scene unfold. The occupants of the van are terrified and have locked the doors. The goblins are busy trying to smash the windows out but as it happens modern safety glass is pretty tough and it has stood up to their efforts thus far. Four of the goblins are banging away at the vehicle while the other two are making crass gestures and hooting like baboons.

What a bunch of jerks.

(Goblin Restaurant Raid)

Toadbutt scowls as he fails utterly to be moved by Jedrek's display of rugged masculinity. He just isn't appreciative of an Adonis-like figure. Instead, he sees only another impediment to the raid. Another roadblock that needs to be kicked over. There's a look in the goblin's grotesque face somewhere between resignation and glee as he stoops down and rakes his misshapen hand through the wizard's spilled blood. Blood combed across his slick red cap.

There's a pulse of dark, nauseating magic as the redcap swells and throbs, his features becoming strained like a stress doll being squeezed-

-until he bursts like a zit, spraying everyone and everything nearby with rancid fluid and wet, flaccid garbage.

Standing where the goblin once was is a bigger, meaner, uglier, and somehow more Toadbutt-y Toadbutt. The goblin's hammer, likewise, is larger and more cruel looking than it had been a moment prior. The stench rolling off Toadbutt is nearly unbearable. He gives a sinister laugh, flexing back at Jedrek.

Murder, apparently, makes goblins stronger.

Toadbutt hefts his hammer, gripping the haft with both hands.

"Arright lads! Get to work on the snotlings. This stooge is all mine," the redcap bellows as he begins approaching Jedrek at a leisurely pace.

The other six hatless goblins all give a whoop of malevolent glee as they begin grabbing children and mercilessly pummeling any parents that resist.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-07-20 at 10:58 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Philip Memorial Library

"Like I said, I don't know." Jade repeats. "I don't remember anything from that time." She'll just hope the Sphinx can provide good reading recommendations on the topic. And something about the library gives her some kind of lingering dread, so hopefully she doesn't have to stay here too long before they have a course of action.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #762
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sewer System Purple]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "I'm glad we could make an agreement." Sargon remarks with a deep curt nod before turning to the red group. "Take it."

The soldiers walks over to obey this command.

Meanwhile, the blue group have turned to follow Pyrthon as he walks after the 'angels'.

Sargon still has questions however. "So how will we contact one another in the future? I believe it would be good if we decide to have regular meetings and report to one another, even if there's nothing to say." Though most of those could probably be off-screen.
    "Agreed. We do not know how you coordinate with your own, but if you speak to this creature-device, the vox, and you will be heard. It will need to stay in this realm of existence, and not be affected by anything like the blackout you used in Riverside, for example. The best times would be <certain hours of the morning.>" They have their schedule, but it has little to do with the riding and setting of the Nexus's sun. "We could send a representative of ours with you if you prefer." The queen has a lot to do, and would really prefer to delegate diplomacy and information-sharing to someone a little more suited for it.

The angel leads Pyrthon's metal group away, towards the location of the angels' headquarters. Before too long, an angel hound will come racing up to them, and meet the other angel, and hand it a new vox, which they place against their neck and wake up.
    "Ah. Tell us about this Jaccalish?"
    They stop walking and turn to face the blue leader.
    "Also, you were collecting some of our borrower-sentries...to study them, or what?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #763

[Abandoned Hospital]

Carmen's gun now has two shots left.
    She should've only fired two, then she would have three left.

She waits for it to come back out...
    When a sufficient time seems to have passed, Carmen starts breathing freely again.

So that's why they's...recent dead? Bullets? Power? Maybe?
    Actually, that doesn't explain anything.
    She sighs.
    Maybe she'll find out in that secret locked-up room. Definitely tied to that ghost, though.

Once she's had a breather, Carmen turns to the pile of bones and stuff, and starts digging through it looking for what the ghost was searching for earlier.

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Oh.
    The car crashed and got attacked by a swarm of monkeys.
    She can tell because she can hear them. In that case, this should be easy. Just hurt them a little to scare them off, and then Harley can go back home and check on her baby and let animal services or whoever capture the escaped animals.

The swordwitch jumps up high, winds up like she's going to throw a spear...
    A sword materializes in her hand, and she throws it down at the group of babboons, and it sails like a spear.

Harley lands on a hand, foot, and knee, and then raises her other hand.
    She snaps her fingers.
    The thrown sword explodes in spiritual energy, weak enough to not permanently or visibly hurt the monkeys, and probably wouldn't break the car, but if they were just normal monkeys then the closest ones will definitely feel an awful burning sting that would make the average baboon want to get out of there immediately.

[Looking for Jo]

Carmen wonders if Fade can take shadows or borrow shadows or something. She'll ask about that later, because soon enough they have to worry about demons with bows.

Carmen looks across the defenders. None of them are Jo, but one of them she thinks she recognizes.
    She currently is shapeshifted as a half-elf so she suspects nobody would be able to recognize her, but...
    Even so, she moves closer behind Fade, to not be seen, just in case.

The defenders consider what Fade said, and the fact that they were clearly frozen in time, and the whole area was frozen too.
    "You have plenty of those crystals. Give us some, and we might be able to help you search, or answer your questions," one of them says.

Handing some over has the obvious downside that they won't be able to explore freely and uninterrupted by others, and the distance ahead that they can see will decrease.
    But there's also the obvious benefit: with another group going around, the flying arrows or defenders or other things will be activated by others and word will start going around to not bother Fade and Carmen, and they might even get to meet some higher-ups.

[Mossman Park]

The dryad should point out that the pixie is being rude. She might not have noticed! How is she supposed to get better if nobody ever tells her?

"Oh. That's sad. Maybe when I go by, I'll leave some flowers for them to pay respects," the Mairis say, before asking about what direction Plum Mountain Park is.

meanwhile
    Glad to not have been eaten by a horse (eating someone just because they're interesting is probably a little rude), the pixie on the water horse talks a but about ghosts.

Meanwhile meanwhile

"What kind of marshmallow would ever use a door and stairs when they don't have to use those," the mushroom pixies tell the hummingpixies. If all you have to do is wander around a park then that's a lot easier. "There should be a way there in this park, right?"

They fly upwards, looking for the 'wilder part of the park'.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Looks like someone else is intervening in this situation. And that someone... is blindfolded? Fayyaad has no real idea why, but this gives him an opportunity. He waits for the goblins to focus on Harley before stepping out of his cover, grabbing his folded staff from his belt and unfolding it. Then he spins it above his head in a needlessly theatrical move, which in fact builds up the energy he needs to trigger a flash of bright, blinding light amidst the goblins - moments after Harley's sword delivers its own burst of energy.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

Delmah Phor

"I think I've seen bigger lizards than that even before I came here. Eun stood in one's poop, after all." That was a triceratops, Jack. They aren't lizards. Or, well, they're lizards in the same sense you are.

Hermit's Homes

"I'm sorry sir, I'm not looking for collateral. I'm looking for down payment. Physical goods are not enough, but I could give you the name of a reputable weapon dealer or pawnshop." The lawyer doesn't sound very sorry, and it's always possible that any names they give might be friends with the lawyer, and therefore get something out of any trade he makes there.

Raksha's Lair

"Interesting. It seems there needs to be intent behind the word, not just using it. That is unfortunate, it seems I might not be able to get anything useful out of you after all, little one. Unless you know the intent when you spoke it before, when it had an effect?" The raksha's gemstone eyes glitter menacingly.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

16. - Top - End - #766

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    Delmah Phor

Raril notices Eun's yawn. "I'm not boring you am I?" He asks, chuckling. "I can be quite entertaining, actually. I'm a musician by trade. I could sing a song?" He suggests.

Belarn wiggles a little in a happy way as they cross onto the grass, her snout snuffling into the greenery. Raril gives a little tug on the reins, bringing her back to serious attention and her steady gate. He mutters something in drow to her. Seems to be something along the lines of "Behave, have patience."
    Delmah Phor

"I think I've seen bigger lizards than that even before I came here. Eun stood in one's poop, after all." That was a triceratops, Jack. They aren't lizards. Or, well, they're lizards in the same sense you are.
    [Delmah Phor]

Eun sits up abruptly, suddenly alert. "No! No, not at all." She gives Raril an apologetic smile. "No. I'm just tired, that's all." She catches a bit of Jack's conversation with Vlad and checks her shoe from paranoia, before realizing she was talking about an incident hours ago. Still, ew.

Still. Raril singing? He did have a nice voice. She nods slowly to herself. That'd be a nice thing to hear. "Go ahead." She says with a small smile. "I'd- I mean, we'd- love to hear you sing."

Rose giggles a little. "Someone's got a crush~" she says in a singsongy voice.

"Sorry, where were you half an hour ago again?" Miranda snarks.

Pot, meet kettle.

Vlad shrugs. "True. I'm not saying there aren't bigger lizards than that. I'm just sayin', they're still pretty damn big, and about the upper size limit back home. Well, that's still around, at any rate. I understand there are some extinct lizards quite a bit bigger than that. I think I even saw a few running around out here." Vlad, too, failed paleontology, it seemed.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    ]

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Philip Memorial Library

Sphinx nods.
    "Okay, come inside. I'll get you set up." Sphinx leads the two inside and into the stacks of books pertaining to the Dreamheart.
    There's a lot. This might take a while, even as Sphinx points them to the specific sections to foxes and memories...
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Abandoned Hospital

It doesn't take too long. One of the skeletons is wearing the remains of a lab coat. In the front pocket of said coat is a key. It is labeled: EW-2.
    That might be useful for Carmen. Hopefully that thing won't return soon after she shot it.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Unicorns]

Oh no. If it had fallen and broken, there could have been a magical disaster!

Or worse, Butler would have had to pay for it.

Still, seeing that this unicorn has a deadly case of the Psychics makes the catboy frown with sympathy. If only he still had some of the Psychics-b-gone, he could save her from her terminal condition. Truly a sad day.

But he's here for Unicorn Tears, not catboy tears! No one would pay for catboy tears. "Uhhh... the umm... salty kind ma'am? You know, the sad kind ma'am. Oh, though I guess the happy kind might work too ma'am." How many different types of tears can there be?

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Restaurant Raid)

Gross.

But Jedrek was serious when he said none shall pass! Oh... he didn't say that? That's the problem with wordless implications! People try to ignore them.

Jedrek's hand movements are blurry as he stands still and punches the air seven times with his palms. It looks silly at first, but the blast of air emanating from him is quite serious. Not just air, but air guided by some sort of blue energy. Nothing less than qi guided air bullets, one for each foe. Street slang has sometimes labeled these as hadouken spamming.

They're accurate enough to not hit any of the bystanders and hopefully fast enough to reach the hatless goblins before they even get to any bystanders in the first place. The first ones are probably going to have a hard time dodging these, but the latter ones may have more warning. Unfortunately, Toadbutt was last on the list. Protecting the innocents comes first after all. He's hoping they're all going to get taken by surprise though since he hasn't actually budged from his spot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

[Delmah Phor]

Raril thinks for a moment, before breaking into song. It's a tune in elvish, which describes a lovely summer day, much like their day in the park. Subtle inflections and word use could also apply some of the song as a metaphor for a beautiful maiden. Raril's voice is a rich and clear tenor for this song. He'll sing a verse or two and see what the reaction is among his audience.

He catches the attention of some of those walking in the park. Singing in public wasn't usual around here, but Raril was a good singer, so some appreciated it. The older folks didn't seem to approve. Raril didn't seem to care about their opinion, however.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Looking for Jo]

Carmen wonders if Fade can take shadows or borrow shadows or something. She'll ask about that later, because soon enough they have to worry about demons with bows.

Carmen looks across the defenders. None of them are Jo, but one of them she thinks she recognizes.
    She currently is shapeshifted as a half-elf so she suspects nobody would be able to recognize her, but...
    Even so, she moves closer behind Fade, to not be seen, just in case.

The defenders consider what Fade said, and the fact that they were clearly frozen in time, and the whole area was frozen too.
    "You have plenty of those crystals. Give us some, and we might be able to help you search, or answer your questions," one of them says.

Handing some over has the obvious downside that they won't be able to explore freely and uninterrupted by others, and the distance ahead that they can see will decrease.
    But there's also the obvious benefit: with another group going around, the flying arrows or defenders or other things will be activated by others and word will start going around to not bother Fade and Carmen, and they might even get to meet some higher-ups.
    [Looking for Jo]

"Let us start with answering questions." he says as he takes a few stones out to show he is indeed offering them.

"What we found out so far is that a paladin attacked you and took those stonesaway.
    Do you know more about that person or anyone who does?
    Where could he took them?
    Are there any people around able to make more stones like this?" he pauses to wait for the answers. those are the general once and Fade has let the door get to the ground. No point in wasting strength (and he also has only this one hand to pull out the stones)

"[Enter Jo decription] Have you seen anyone like that?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

22. - Top - End - #772

Hermit's Homes

"I'm sorry sir, I'm not looking for collateral. I'm looking for down payment. Physical goods are not enough, but I could give you the name of a reputable weapon dealer or pawnshop." The lawyer doesn't sound very sorry, and it's always possible that any names they give might be friends with the lawyer, and therefore get something out of any trade he makes there.
    "A pawn shop sounds good", the swordsman replies. Pawning the rapier sounds like it gives him an opportunity to get it back later, when he has real money. "If you can spare more than a name, a map or some other directions would be nice. I'll be there and back in a flash." He tries to smile in a way that doesn't look like he's pondering bloody elf murder.
    Last edited by Vahnavoi; 2021-07-21 at 07:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773

[Philip Memorial Library]

OOoooooh boy it's time to look at books!

Our heroes will find a number of relevant passages, not necessarily about kumiho specifically, but about the Dreamheart in general. When a faerie is destroyed they are cast into the Dreamheart where their memories are stripped away and a new mask is assigned to the naked soul. A particularly stubborn faerie might be able to hang on to themselves in spite of this and bob about in that primordial sea for quite some time. But everyone grows tired of treading water eventually. That may have been what Jade saw. It is ALSO possible for memories that have been lost there to well up in visions, to appear as flashes of dreams. Portents. But it can be difficult to ascertain their meaning.

Several passages make it clear that it is possible for a mortal to travel to the shores of the Dreamheart and fish for memories within it, but that journey is fraught with peril.

Because of course it is.

"It sounds like what you saw could have been a couple different things," Tristan summarizes. "But the only way to know for sure would be to travel down to the Dreamheart. And that's pretty dangerous."

Sounds like...

A quest!

[Hunting for Unicorns]

Not Psychics, Butler!

It's simple levitation magic, a good and healthy thing for a unicorn to be able to do. But your concern is sweet.

"Maybe not that specific of a need then? Well..." Moonlight says as her horn lights up again, plucking several glass vials off various seemingly unrelated shelves and levitating them over to the counter.

Apparently she knows where everything is in her ramshackle bodega.

"So these tears are from a celestial unicorn," Moonlight explains, showing off a crystal decanter with silver filigree. It is exceptionally fancy. "The first half were shed when the warlock they had been mentoring turned from the ways of goodness and descended into darkness. The second half were tears of joy when their friend repented of their evil ways."

"Now these ones are actually mine, haha!" Moonlight says, holding up a tiny thimble-sized bottle. "I was reading a really sad romance novel."

"And these ones are from a sylvan unicorn," she continues, showing Butler a bottle with a simple cork stopper in it. "These tears were shed when the unicorn discovered that the maiden he so loved was just being used as bait to capture him. Very sad."

And finally? A big clay pot and lid sealed with tar. "These are from an Elasmotherium which... I guess counts as a unicorn? Maybe?"

[Mossman Park]

The dryad has interacted with a few pixies and thus far they haven't been very concerned about being rude. That just seems to be how pixies are.

She'll point off in the direction of Plum Mountain Park. "That's that big mountain there with the giant plum tree at the top."

Oh.

That makes sense. Kind of hard to miss now that it's been pointed out to Mairi.

Meanwhile!

The horse appears to have gotten bored of talking about ghosts and slips back below the surface of the pond. The pixie is probably going to need to abandon ship because this one is sinking!

Also meanwhile!

"Maybe? I haven't really looked around in here before since this seemed like a dumb park full of dummies," the humming pixie replies. They've filled up on flowers and now they're feeling pretty energetic, all things considered. No parts of the park LOOK wilder than others, but the threes are definitely thicker over that way. Of course, given how small pixies are 'thicker' is still a TON of room to navigate. Mairi can hear the sound of flowing water in one direction. In another little icy blue wisps are floating through the air. In a third it is looking really dark with lots of brambles everywhere.

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Hoo boy that got their attention, didn't it?

The mob of goblins howl in pain when the sword explodes nearby and within moments are careening straight toward Harley, screaming obscenities and invective whilst beating their crude weapons against the asphalt.

Then they get flash blinded.

About half of them are left stumbling around rubbing their eyes while the other half aim to pounce on Harley and begin pummeling her with sticks and rocks.

The redcap isn't doing anything yet. The greasy monster appears to find the whole spectral highly amusing.

(Goblin Restaurant Raid)

Gross is an accurate assessment, yes.

And then a flurry of blows! No doubt Jedrek's fighting spirit burns hot! The first four goblins get blindsided since they weren't expecting that to happen at all. They're resilient little snot-blobs, though, and violence is rarely as effective against them as one might expect. Well, it can be. Like if you drop a bear out of the sky on one of them. But they're still standing! Mostly. The ones that got hit look dazed. Those that avoided the punches look mad.

Toadbutt takes the air bullet straight to his pendulous belly, which proceeds to jiggle like a bowl full of rancid congealed gravy.

Still gross.

"You maggots stop sniveling and keep working!" Toadbutt howls as he hauls back with his hammer and swings it down at the ground in Jedrek's general direction.

He doesn't even come CLOSE to hitting the man.

But that wave of steel shards that just started exploding out of the floor toward Jedrek might. The waves of shrapnel blasts rapidly expand outward, each subsequent wave shredding a larger area. Beware of cone attacks! They can cause collateral damage!
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-07-21 at 11:23 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Philip Memorial Library
    Jade still has no real idea what's going on. But at least it's something they can follow through with. "Let me get my armor, then we can go look." She's not going on a risky quest without her armor. That would be a bad idea.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Restaurant Raid)

Hmm. So far so good. He's got the element of surprise. But will this blindfolded woman hold out against these creatures? She seems capable, but time is still of the essence. He could blind the monsters further with a smoke cloud, but it would affect the woman's breathing too. Instead, Fayyaad twirls his staff again, spins in a graceful dancing move and swings it hard, the arc of its movement producing a red-hot ribbon of fire aimed straight at the redcap.

26. - Top - End - #776

[Raksha's Lair]

The pixie moves from a sitting position under that glass into a lying-down position on her stomach, with her knees bent so her feet go upwards.

"To be honest, it only barely sounds like the same word. Like, okay, the mouth-part of the word sounds the same but the chest-part of the word sounds different."
    She rolls to her side (not on her back because she has wings) puts her hands up to her chest, to show, "Like this:" She takes a deep breath, really slowly and deliberately.

After that, the pixie rolls back onto her stomach. "I think I may have already told you? There was too much stuff touching me so I needed to push it all away and make it go fwooosh."

Seems simple enough, probably.
    She still doesn't want to die so she's trying to explain it as simply and succintly as possible.

[Abandoned Hospital]

She 'pockets' that key, too.
    Carmen gets up and dusts the bonedust off of her once she's done.

Well, she presently has two keys that she doesn't know what to do with. Maybe they both go to that locked experimental door? It had two locks and, in the interest of not wasting time, she might as well check them right now.

She still has two bullets, so she's probably fine for one more encounter, but...how much Lust Magic would even work on it? She considers a lot of her spells and their likelihood of working on robots.
    Jeez, a lot of them seem like they'd be pretty low-effect, right?

[Looking for Jo]

They definitely want those divine-stones.
    "He had a couple of very unique swords," one of them says, "pretty big. They were even bigger than me."

And another one volunteers that, "He came here to confront our leader here, I think."

They look at each other and murmur among each other, trying to find out if anyone knew how to make them or where they got them from. One of them shakes her head, saying none of them know the details.

Most of them don't recognize Jo's description.
    The one that Carmen knows, however, recognizes that description. "I..." She's having a tough time deciding what to say. If she says the wrong thing, Fade might decide to not give them some of the time-crystals. But they don't want to be frozen in time: if Fade and Carmen decide to not cooperate, they could just be frozen forever, which is effectively like dying, except with no afterlife.
    So, she holds out her hands to accept the stones and says, "Our chief would be the best one to ask that question. I'll go find her and ask her."

[Mossman Park]

"Oh, I see, that's pretty big," the pixies say, spotting that mountain. "Or! What if it's just really close and it only looks big because it's really close."

"Bye, try not to barf up your name,"
    the Mairis say, flying off towards the mountain, making sure to grab a couple flowers on the way.to pay respects before looking for a magic stream.

Meanwhile

The captain must go down with her ship! the pixie declares as the horse goes down into the water.

She gets up and flies away: "Luckily I'm not the captain."

She notices that she was left alone. Except for the ones that turned into mushrooms, they all flew off, so she goes over to perch in the dryad's tree, to watch the fungus grow; in the meantime, she tries to decide that when new mushrooms grow and since she's the only one here, does that make her the mother or is the tree/dryad the mother and is she the father.

More importantly,
    The second swarm that's trying to find a way in there
    The flowing water isn't very wild. They were all just next to water right now! And it didn't seem that wild, especially because wild water clearly sounds distinct.
    And, likewise, just being dark doesn't make it wild, just dark. In fact, that might even be the opposite of wild.

CLEARLY the icy blue wisps are the wildest thing around, so the swarm flies towards them.

[Verdant Heights
    (Goblin Traffic Stop)

Oh!
    These just aren't large monkeys.
    They're large monkeys who were taught to swear and fight.

Harley gets sticked and stoned.
    Being blindfolded makes it hard to dodge without focusing a lot more on senses.
    So she gets hit by sticks and stones, they may break her bones, but their obscenities will never hurt her.
    And the benefit of being blindfolded is that she can't see her own blood or bruises.

When one of the sticks stabs her, Harley pushes against it, to push it in deeper and stop the goblin from pulling it out. She then reaches up, to find the hand holding that stick.

Harley tries to make a smirking noise, but it isn't as cool with all the pain and injuries that she's getting.
    She grips that wrist. "Got you."
    Even large monkeys are relatively light, so she tries lifting that goblin and swinging it around at the other nearby goblins like a flail.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Orc in the Playground

Delmah Phor

Jack, at least, has the excuse of being raised by a backwards tribe of scavengers and thieves who, left to their own devices, would struggle at escaping the stone age. Not because they aren't as smart as humans; they are. They're simply claustrophobic and averse to mining. Jack was taught to read to ensure she knew the best things to steal from their static-formed neighbours.

"Maybe I should go home, bring some of my tribe here from the Clattering. I think of some uses we'd have for a giant lizard." The main reason is that Jack personally finds the idea of eating bird's eggs distasteful. She can manage eating adult birds, but the eggs get a bit too close to eating children for her liking.

She'll listen to Raril's singing, too. But won't join in. Jackdaws aren't exactly songbirds.

Hermit's Homes

He needn't worry about that- the elf's a lawyer, they're used to people thinking about killing them. It's the whole point of why murder is illegal- self-defence on the part of lawyers. "The Bishop and Knight Pawn Shop, on Merchant Street, three roads that way. Has a sign chequered black and white, with a mitre and a horse in opposite corners. In one way they're white, the other they're black."

Raksha's Lair

"I'd ask if I could take the knowledge straight from your head, but I fear your stupidity may be contagious. Feh. You have kept your end of the bargain, as best you can. So now I must hold up mine." The raksha is annoyed at this, defeated by the pixie's inherent ditziness. He walks to a wall, knocks twice upon it so a window appears, and opens the window. Then, grabbing a piece of A4 paper, will slide it under the glass jar, before shunting the jar along until it- and the paper underneath it- is off the table, held in the raskha's hands. The pixie probably can't escape, unless she fus-es the glass, but right now there's little need. The raksha takes the jar and paper to the window before pulling the two away and shaking until the pixie falls off, at which point both are quickly retracted and the window is closed, disappearing. Exactly where the raksha has left the pixie isn't clear- Mama Gho didn't say where he'd put her, only that she'd be free. And now she is, at least of the jar.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Delmah Phor]

Raril thinks for a moment, before breaking into song. It's a tune in elvish, which describes a lovely summer day, much like their day in the park. Subtle inflections and word use could also apply some of the song as a metaphor for a beautiful maiden. Raril's voice is a rich and clear tenor for this song. He'll sing a verse or two and see what the reaction is among his audience.

He catches the attention of some of those walking in the park. Singing in public wasn't usual around here, but Raril was a good singer, so some appreciated it. The older folks didn't seem to approve. Raril didn't seem to care about their opinion, however.
    Delmah Phor

Jack, at least, has the excuse of being raised by a backwards tribe of scavengers and thieves who, left to their own devices, would struggle at escaping the stone age. Not because they aren't as smart as humans; they are. They're simply claustrophobic and averse to mining. Jack was taught to read to ensure she knew the best things to steal from their static-formed neighbours.

"Maybe I should go home, bring some of my tribe here from the Clattering. I think of some uses we'd have for a giant lizard." The main reason is that Jack personally finds the idea of eating bird's eggs distasteful. She can manage eating adult birds, but the eggs get a bit too close to eating children for her liking.

She'll listen to Raril's singing, too. But won't join in. Jackdaws aren't exactly songbirds.
    [Delmah Phor]

Eun seems to be completely taken in by the song, and the metaphor certainly isn't lost on her. When Raril looks in on her, he'll find a very flattered and flustered scientist looking back at him through the corner of her eye, with a small smile on her face and blushing profusely.

Rose seems to have a similar reaction, though a little more subtly. This wasn't the first time she'd witnessed a serenade, but Raril's song made for a particularly beautiful one and she found herself a little envious that it wasn't directed at her... for a moment.

Miranda eyes briefly glaze over as Raril sings, but when he stops, she blinks her way back to lucidity. It was a beautiful song, but she had other things on her mind and Raril's music only served as a brief (but not unwelcome) distraction.

Vlad chuckles. "Heh. Not the weirdest choice of livestock I've ever heard... of..." He trails off as Raril sings, but snaps back when he's done. "...Hm. Anyway, yeah. Maybe you should do that. Do it right and you could get a steady stock going." He scratches him chin in thought. "Although... that does strike me as similar to domesticating gorillas for milk. Probably a little uncomfortable still, yeah?"
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    ]

29. - Top - End - #779

[From Hermit's Homes to Bishop and Knight Pawnshop]

"Thank you. I'll be right back." The swordsman rehangs the rapier from his sash and leaves. Merchant street, three roads this way. Can't be too hard, can it? The swordsman wanders down the street, his eyes jumping from one building to another as he looks for that chequered sign. He still can't shake the feeling that this whole city is haunted.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Unicorns]

"Oh that is very sad ma'am." Butler frowns. Though he supposes they were tears after all. It wasn't going to be a particularly joyous topic most of the time.

Unless the romance novel was just that good.

Butler doesn't know anything about an Elastic- Elysium- whatever that last one was. The Silver Unicorn is pretty tempting though. He didn't know they came in silver. Apparently they also come in moonlight purple.

But he has heard Tellysandra use the term Celestial before once or twice. Moreover, the bottle was really fancy. And if there's one thing Butler understands about Tellysandra, it's that she absolutely loves fancy things. Fancy things may be her most favorite things. And a crystal decanter with silver filigree filled with celestial unicorn tears is peak Tellysandra level fancy.

"I think I would like the first one ma'am. The celestial unicorn tears ma'am."

[[Verdant Heights]
    (Goblin Restaurant Raid)

Jedrek would normally do just fine dodging out of the way of even a conal attack, but collateral damage (to people) is a great concern. He can't let anyone else get hurt.

With a sudden shout, he slams his foot on the ground, a crack running through the floor with a wall of fiery qi spreading out until each meet the growing shrapnel wave. Jedrek's qi catches it and forces it all upwards, deflecting the shrapnel like a waterfall catching branches and forcing the attack into the ceiling, shards of metal no doubt causing real damage to the tiles.

Emanating qi outwards in that quantity with that strength is not ideal. It's rather draining even. So just to keep Toadbutt from performing another attack like that, Jedrek closes, pushing forward behind his qi wave and rolling through it right after it and the shrapnel dissipate each other. He throws a series of actual punches at the redcap, each one singing through the air with a distinctive Ora sound.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast