New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 72: Halfway to a Gross

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Sewer System Purple]

"We will send you a more capable representative shortly." That will let the queen focus on what's really important: creating new kinds of monster and preparing for their inevitable war with people of the Nexus.
    "We will notify you in the same manner if others are needed to visit you."

There is a hissing laugh from the other side. "That depends on what your arcanists can see. It contains a mechanism to produce low-energy waves for long-distance communication, a diaphragm to produce audible speech, and a simple system to keep it alive and actuate its legs when needed. It is relatively new to us, so there are many vestigial elements in its polymer arrangement and carapace design, such as the grid pattern on the top of its shell, a pointless historical accident. It is C2, meaning, its cells are permeated with the essence of cuthun, but at a low concentration, only a fourth part as much as you or I. It has no flight, that is, it is a tool, a symbiont, and not one of our various adult forms."
    "It may be of interest to your researchers, but not to you."

The angels aren't inclined to talk about it, but of course they are also hoping to convert all beings into their own image. Eventually. No need to invade worlds and drag teams of captives off to the oil pits. Not now, while they're still laying the groundwork.

"Understood. You will direct us to your Jaccalish?"
    The angel shake their head. "We do not believe all phyrexians share a goal." There's enough evidence to suggest that Ilpholin is with them, thanks to events at the tower, and the Thanksmas party. Just when and how did she become part of their system, though? She wasn't the same in Riverside, was she? That was a chaotic scene, perhaps they missed something... "Obviously they are not to be completely trusted, but we have been able to act to mutual benefit in the past."
    [Sewer System Purple]

In face of all this information, Sargon's reply is rather curt. "I see. I will inform them of this." A pause. "Our business is concluded for now then." He nods. "Until we speak again."

And unless the queen has anything else to add the illusion fades and the fiends pick up the device and hesitantly start to retreat back. Unlike their king they don't seem to want to give the 'angels' much notions of trust.

"Is that so?" The metal fiends face is unusually expressive for one made up of non-living material though his tone turns monotone when asking this question. Making it hard to tell if its rhetorical or not despite its curtness. "Well, as my duties prohibits me from discussing this at any length I shall lead you to a communication platform. However, I feel that I can tell you that some form of trust was extended from our end as well and even then it has come back to bite us." Pyrthon breaks eye-contact (or at least looks away considering the lack of humanoid faces). "But before you talk to him there's a question I believe they would be interested in more than anything. How dangerous do you consider the constant otherworldly invasions of the nexus to be? I'm talking about fey as well as... other things. Beings that consider anything but themselves real."

2. - Top - End - #1022

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Autumn Park]

"You mean like how to de-fairy someone?" Feldspar replies. "Well, I heard there's this Watcher who lives Inside that has this machine that can turn a faerie into a pokemon! But I really don't want to be a geodude or whatever so I don't think I'm going to do that. I also heard that there is another way to do it, maybe, but I don't know if it's just a rumor or not."
    [Autumn Park]

"Exactly" Mr C replies and points with his pen at Feldspar. he now also wears one of those classic reporter caps with a paper in it . Where did that come from? it was suddendly there while Feldspar blinked.
    "Into a Pokemon? There are 898 possibilities, I don't know if it makes things go from bad to worst. Just imagine a trainer finds you who you knew. But thanks for those information. Is there something I can do for you?"

Mr. C will write everythign down.

"Do you know if there is a big agenda for the fairys other then the tree? Like making sure their kind doesn't disapear or maybe they want somethign to disapear?

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Looking for Jo]

"Don't worry, all of this either was mine and hidden away, or used to be mine," Carmen says.

She hands a bunch of it over to him. "As thanks for helping me find out this much. It's a lot more knowledge than I would have found just by myself. So. Thanks."

The injured succubus is now gone, having been moved by the few succubi who were given a few crystals; and those ones have presumably also left to try to find more somewhere else in case the ones they have run out.

The journey back to the large time-bubble that used to be the paladins' territory is pretty easy, since nothing else was able to move in there while time was frozen. That's a really convenient thing about it, actually: on the way to somewhere, you have no idea what's waiting in store, but you know that the way back is exactly as safe as you left it.

So, they get back there, near the meadow where they started.
    [Looking for Jo]

Fade will take a look at the items befor storing them into his shadow.

He does take note that the injured is gone. not that he minded, but at least they listened to him.

"I don't think the job is done by now." Fade says. "Which means things are still open.
    Right now he ripps of the now dried web from his hand to free his swordarm.

"Did the note point at any place in the Nexus? If not we should try Riverside. I think a lot of your kind happened to live there."
    Last edited by Zefir; 2021-08-16 at 05:16 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Hunting for Ice]

Yes!

Tree leaves. Or possible tea leaves. Since both of those things are leaves. Though tea leaves MIGHT not work well for what the pixies are doing.

"Mean? What are you talking about you giant bloated triangle-eared nincompoop?" the pixie retorts. "We're just insulting you that isn't mean!"

Hmm.

It would appear as though the pixies have a very different idea of what constitutes meanness and rudeness.

When you talk to people you insult them.

That's just how it works!

[Autumn Park]

"Yeah! I don't want some kid grabbing me and using me to beat up dogs. That would be terrible. Being a rock is WAY better," Feldspar reasons. "Can't say I really know anything about over-arching plans? I guess Sidhe like Buttercup probably have one but I'm not exactly privy to it. And I don't think the Lords and Ladies of the fae even have their own plan. More like lots of little plans all their own. Tons of irons in the fire."

Fae aren't the sorts of creatures that are typically united behind a single movement.

Probably even less so than humans are.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

[Verdant Heights]

Oh!
    They seem to all be gone, and running.
    Harley takes a deep breath, and the wounds stop bleeding a little...but because she knows someone else is here, she doesn't bother closing them completely.
    "Well, thanks," she says to Calm Reed. She brushes the garbage off of her and off of her sword, and (even blindfolded) turns towards the apartment building.

"It seems I'm under a curse to make me want to keep on fighting, so..." She takes a deep breath, and then starts to run after the fleeing goblins into the Briar Patch, as if chasing after goblins is the rest of the sentence she was saying.
    Calm Reed would call it admirable valor in face of serious wounds, but if she's indeed cursed... perhaps valor has nothing to do with it. Nothing to do but join the chase.

[Three Detectives]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    "Hmm. If it's infecting people, it could be related to some of those prior events." Ithuriel mutters with a heavy sigh. "Hopefully not, but you never know. Well, not I've definitely got to give you guys a hand. I'll get a few things cleared up and be ready to go in a few." She pauses, glancing at first Ava, then Michalson. "Uh, sorry, assuming we are setting off immediately? I can meet up with you later or whatever if you want."
    "We should probably leave sooner rather than later. But that depends on whether our guest has more she needs from us." He turns to Ava.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #1025

[Mossman Park]

by the dryad
    As Drake leaves, the two mushroom pixies start a lively discussion about which one of them will be the father to the growing mushrooms.

"Haha, I guess I am a skyscraper now," June says. She twirls around, marveling at herself.

Then, she holds the Drake up to her earlobe, since that's what you do with geckos. "Poor bird."

"Yup, I did!" she says. "Wait, how did you know already? You saw one of me? us? But I didn't see anyone else."

[Looking for Jo]

"Didn't say anywhere specific. Just, a succubus named Helen wrote she found clues of Jo here in the Nexus, like, nearly ten years ago. So, at the very least, I know she managed to find the portal that we used to get here."

Carmen keeps on walking; "Haven't been to Riverside yet but if you think a lot of succubi are, then that might be a good place to look."
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-08-16 at 03:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Ice]

"Most people consider insults to be very mean sir," Butler points out.

At least, most people he's talked to.

Which is admittedly a large variety and long history of people. Just maybe not hyper-tiny pixies.

"Have I insulted you once while talking to you sir?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sewer System Blue]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    In face of all this information, Sargon's reply is rather curt. "I see. I will inform them of this." A pause. "Our business is concluded for now then." He nods. "Until we speak again."

And unless the queen has anything else to add the illusion fades and the fiends pick up the device and hesitantly start to retreat back. Unlike their king they don't seem to want to give the 'angels' much notions of trust.

"Is that so?" The metal fiends face is unusually expressive for one made up of non-living material though his tone turns monotone when asking this question. Making it hard to tell if its rhetorical or not despite its curtness. "Well, as my duties prohibits me from discussing this at any length I shall lead you to a communication platform. However, I feel that I can tell you that some form of trust was extended from our end as well and even then it has come back to bite us." Pyrthon breaks eye-contact (or at least looks away considering the lack of humanoid faces). "But before you talk to him there's a question I believe they would be interested in more than anything. How dangerous do you consider the constant otherworldly invasions of the nexus to be? I'm talking about fey as well as... other things. Beings that consider anything but themselves real."
    The hive does not bother Sargon's men as they pack up.

Oh, they have eyes to contact!

"We hear your warning about the phyrexians." They still think Phyrexians are not so bad as all that, but the suspicion of them does increase. They'll need to be extra careful about Fay. The oil and machinery mostly seems to have made them unable to function well, but, it could be hiding something more sinister.
    Onwards to the communication platform.
    "It is a concern. The fey in particular do not seem dangerous, but there are other, worse invaders. The Nexus connects to realms of previously-unimaginable danger, in addition to all the dangers to be founds here. We currently don't have a comprehensive plan for dealing with it. Each invasion has to be handled as it comes up. Those that consider this whole realm to be unreal are of particular concern - they have no conventional vulnerabilities, and their motives are difficult to predict."
    "You have your own thoughts on the matter? A specific invasion?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #1028

[Autumn Park]

"Yeah! I don't want some kid grabbing me and using me to beat up dogs. That would be terrible. Being a rock is WAY better," Feldspar reasons. "Can't say I really know anything about over-arching plans? I guess Sidhe like Buttercup probably have one but I'm not exactly privy to it. And I don't think the Lords and Ladies of the fae even have their own plan. More like lots of little plans all their own. Tons of irons in the fire."

Fae aren't the sorts of creatures that are typically united behind a single movement.

Probably even less so than humans are.
    [Autumn Park]

"The shrink would only be temporary so we could move you to another place like summer park... beach side... rock mountain? But if yo wanna stay it's fine, too." Mr. C says.
    "Is there a way to talk to the Lords and Ladies? I think there was something about a Lord latly. Maybe they know something. You helped me a lot so far and I really appreciate it."

[Looking for Jo]

"Didn't say anywhere specific. Just, a succubus named Helen wrote she found clues of Jo here in the Nexus, like, nearly ten years ago. So, at the very least, I know she managed to find the portal that we used to get here."

Carmen keeps on walking; "Haven't been to Riverside yet but if you think a lot of succubi are, then that might be a good place to look."
    [Looking for Jo]

"Trust me, there are." Fade says in his typical emotionless voice. "There was even some kind of lust god. If you met him, contact me."

He keeps walking as well, remembering the path as far as possible.

"You want to go there immediatly or rest first?"

Also what did he gave him?

9. - Top - End - #1029

[Sewer System Blue]

Oh, they have eyes to contact!

"We hear your warning about the phyrexians." They still think Phyrexians are not so bad as all that, but the suspicion of them does increase. They'll need to be extra careful about Fay. The oil and machinery mostly seems to have made them unable to function well, but, it could be hiding something more sinister.
    Onwards to the communication platform.
    "It is a concern. The fey in particular do not seem dangerous, but there are other, worse invaders. The Nexus connects to realms of previously-unimaginable danger, in addition to all the dangers to be founds here. We currently don't have a comprehensive plan for dealing with it. Each invasion has to be handled as it comes up. Those that consider this whole realm to be unreal are of particular concern - they have no conventional vulnerabilities, and their motives are difficult to predict."
    "You have your own thoughts on the matter? A specific invasion?"
    [Sewer System Blue]

"We have registered not only a invasion but a what we believe to be conflict between a number of interdimensional factions, using this world as their battleground. It might even be the case that they're form our former homeworld which is a concerning thought. Either way, they've proven to be a significant threat and we've been trying to figure out ways to deal with them. Like many 'higher' beings simply destroying their physical form isn't enough. They will simply return one way or the other. No, before going into any open confrontation with them we're trying to figure out a way to damage their selves. Their very being." The heresy elementals were a piece of that puzzle but they could do better.

"I don't suppose you've been aware of this? After all, cuthun was created by reverse-engineering the beings I'm talking about."

[Midnight Park]

A black and white goat clops into midnight park to have a look around. It has heard that this park was inhabited by four-footed people...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-08-17 at 05:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1030

[Sewer System Blue]
    "We have registered not only a invasion but a what we believe to be conflict between a number of interdimensional factions, using this world as their battleground. It might even be the case that they're form our former homeworld which is a concerning thought. Either way, they've proven to be a significant threat and we've been trying to figure out ways to deal with them. Like many 'higher' beings simply destroying their physical form isn't enough. They will simply return one way or the other. No, before going into any open confrontation with them we're trying to figure out a way to damage their selves. Their very being." The heresy elementals were a piece of that puzzle but they could do better.

"I don't suppose you've been aware of this? After all, cuthun was created by reverse-engineering the beings I'm talking about."
    "We are aware of a battleground scenario between dimensional creatures." The hiveling confirms. Two, three, or four sides depending on how you draw the lines. We have done preliminary investigations into two major factions, but are not ready for all-out conflict."
    "This world being what it is, I don't know if the interdimensional war we are observing is the same interdimensional war you are concerned with."

Cuthun was reverse-engineered, it says. By Sargon's people, or their predecessors. That...makes sense. Connections to other phenomena are made. Some of the hints that Françoise found fall into place. The parallels to the blessed crystal are obvious. There could be other levers like this. The oil, the Void. Could the principles of these dimensional creatures maintain...hmm...what ideas.
    "One group calls itself 'angels', and seem to cause arbitrary slaughter. Another is called 'fey' and they consume normal creatures for their Form. The third- does this sound familiar to you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #1031

[Verdant Heights]

"I must disagree, oh worm, a great deal is happening," says Skidmark as the brambles facilitate Calm Reed and Harley arriving directly to the banquet hall. After all, the local mare was bored, right? The brambles are helping! There aren't that many goblins down here. Just a few minor little gremlins and of course Skidmark, who looks like an absolutely hulking oni of a beast holding a super-sized version of the stick-wrapped-in-thorns that the smaller goblins seem to favor. The giant rises to his feet, the brambles stretching and bending to make room for him in the feasting hall.

"You are the warriors who have come to put an end to the raid?" Skidmark inquires, his voice like mountains grinding against each other. "I will admit I have little to do with that endeavor. I have come here merely in anticipation of your arrival in hopes that the Nexus would provide me with worthy opponents."

The rest of the goblins seem pretty leery of this situation.

Skidmark isn't from their bramble patch.

He had come up here from the Pit when word spread through the vines of a raid within Inside.

The chance to fight some of Inside's greatest warriors was not something the redcap would pass up.

[Hunting for Ice]

"No you HAVEN'T you fuzzy uglymug!" the pixie shoots back. "And it's really RUDE! You hideous giants think we pixies are SOOOO unimportant you won't even TRY to insult us!"

The rest of the pixies agree, shouting various insults ranging from mild to quite creative at Butler.

"See? Look how much thought we're putting into making up great insults for your huge fat butt! And you won't even insult us a LITTLE!"

Obviously pixies have a very different idea of what is and isn't rude.

[Autumn Park]

"Oh, haha, you think I can only be THIS rock?" Feldspar laughs. "I can move to a different rock if I want to. That's a common mistake. Some people think oreads can only live in ONE rock or ONE mountain but it isn't like that at all. I can uproot myself and find a new rock to live in if I really wanted to."

At the question of nobility.

"Hmm... well... They're all pretty eccentric. I don't think there's a way to really just chat with them. Queen Buttercup doesn't have a phone number you can call or anything like that. I guess you could travel into the Enchanted Forest and try talking to her in her Glade but that can be pretty dangerous."

[Midnight Park]

The park itself is an interesting place. From a distance it looks like your typical dark, haunted forest with a massive tree rising from the center. But upon setting foot inside? There are little trails winding through the woods flanked with ghostly lanterns and luminescent flowers to keep the wild shadows at bay. And a few little warning signs, too, providing insight about why staying on the trails is VERY VERY important if you like your life energy staying inside your body.

It won't take too long before the goat will encounter an arion mare tending to some of the flowers while humming quietly to herself. She's a brightly colored creature with a pink coat and a sunny yellow mane and tail. She has an image of some luminous lilies on her haunches which appears to be the natural coloration of the fur and skin rather than something painted on. She perks up as soon as she spies the goat.

"Oh! A visitor!" she says, smiling as kindly as she's able. She lacks the flat teeth of a horse or even normal equestrians. Those are the teeth of a predator. "Welcome to Midnight Park! I'm Lunar Lilly. Are you just here to enjoy a walk?"

[Mossman Park]

This is weird.

"How did you get all huge and fat when you got your name back?"
    Drake asks, mostly unconcerned when he gets snatched up. "When I got MY name back I didn't get to mush together and look hideous again."

Definitely not fair.

"Yeah another me gave her a ride out of the woods since the shroom-brained ninny wouldn't shut up about how cool riding dragons is," Drake explains.

12. - Top - End - #1032

[Verdant Heights]

"I must disagree, oh worm, a great deal is happening," says Skidmark as the brambles facilitate Calm Reed and Harley arriving directly to the banquet hall. After all, the local mare was bored, right? The brambles are helping! There aren't that many goblins down here. Just a few minor little gremlins and of course Skidmark, who looks like an absolutely hulking oni of a beast holding a super-sized version of the stick-wrapped-in-thorns that the smaller goblins seem to favor. The giant rises to his feet, the brambles stretching and bending to make room for him in the feasting hall.

"You are the warriors who have come to put an end to the raid?" Skidmark inquires, his voice like mountains grinding against each other. "I will admit I have little to do with that endeavor. I have come here merely in anticipation of your arrival in hopes that the Nexus would provide me with worthy opponents."

The rest of the goblins seem pretty leery of this situation.

Skidmark isn't from their bramble patch.

He had come up here from the Pit when word spread through the vines of a raid within Inside.

The chance to fight some of Inside's greatest warriors was not something the redcap would pass up.
    [Verdant Heights]

"Ugh. Friggin' finally." Braon groans, still perched on Skidmark's shoulder. "You ragtag pair of disappointments certainly took your sweet time getting down here, didn't you?" She gives Harley a little glare. "I certainly hoped you would have a little respect for my time. Hmph."

"...Well, whatever." Braon lifts her hand, fingers tensed in preparation for a snap. "Now that you're all here, we can finally get things started in earnest." She snaps her fingers, the sounds reverberating around the room.

Aboveground, the boulders will start pulling themselves free of the dirt, the brambles on them twisting into misshapen arms and legs and various other members in between. The wind is going to go crazy, dragging any straggling passersby toward the building, straight into the rock-thorn-monsters' waiting hands.

With the escape routes sealed off, Braon points a finger in the air, addressing the gremlins. "All right, boys! Head on upstairs and take your picks of the lot! Skid and I are gonna have us some fun..." She gives off a manic little giggle, her vines twisting around her protectively.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-17 at 11:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1033

[Looking for Jo]

"I haven't really done anything strenuous yet, so I would be fine going straight there. A little hungry,.but as long as I take the train or hitchhike, that shouldn't be a problem," Carmen the half-succubus woman says.

They get to the portal back to the Nexus.

She gave him mostly just jewelry and stuff, and a few trinkets. Almost all of it is just normal, but a couple of the jewels are psychic crystals which is pretty neat, even if not useful.

[Mossman Park]

June sighs, and puts the Drake on top of her head. Since he wasn't going to bite her earlobe and biting her lip would make talking to him too hard, the head is the next best place.

"I dunno," she says, twirling again. "Maybe I'm just that much smarter and prettier than you so that when I took my name back from that ghost-thief the universe just decided it liked me?"

She takes a few steps, then stops after realizing she doesn't know where she should go to meet up with the rest of her. "Or maybe my name's just sooooo much better than yours. It was my sixth one that I earned myself, which is pretty impressive, isn't it? I bet a lizardbrain like you only had, like...three or something boring and normal like that."
    She thinks, then asks an important relevant: "What's your dumb name, anyway? The one I got back is June."

So, anyway, speaking of dragons!
    "Oh my gosh, yes, dragons are so fun to ride, you wouldn't even believe. Even someone as dumb as you would like it! Where did they go, anyway so I can find them?"

[Verdant Hills]

Harley, who is wearing a blindfold and a sundress, runs in. Once she realizes she's in a completely new and unfamiliar location, she slows and stops.
    As the big guy and the lady talk, Harley taps on her sword with her finger, so that she can figure out the layout of the room and who all is here, and everything else.

So, big guy. Lady near the big guy. Possibly more of these rude monkeys around?

Unfortunately, since she is blindfolded and has never really met Braon, she doesn't realize that Braon was directing her glare at her so she just assumes that sentence was directed at Calm Reed instead.

She turns her head towards Calm Reed and tells her, "Since both people in the middle seem to know you, I'll let you handle them."

And so, Harley points her sword at some of the nearest gremlins she located, and activates its magnetic ability, to pull it (and the things around it) towards her...assuming they are more of the trash baboons from earlier. She thinks they are, but doesn't want to attack them without confirmation in case they're just particularly beefy children.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Delmah Phor]

Eun reluctantly steps down from the saddle, though she seems more comfortable with Miranda helping her down than Raril. Not that she doesn't appreciate the gesture, mind... but she's flustered enough as it is.

"You okay, doc?" Miranda mutters, not quite inaudibly but quiet enough that discretion is clearly part of her intent.

"Y... yeah, yeah, I'm fine." Eun clears her throat awkwardly. "I'm just... is it just me, or was that kind of..."

"Yeah, I hear you."

"Do you suppose he's...?"

"Obviously. There's no way a guy like that isn't taken. Obvious attractiveness aside, he looked and sounded a lot like he was thinking of someone else that whole time."

"...Right." Eun's gaze falls to the ground. "That's... disappointing."

Miranda puts a hand on Eun's shoulder, which for once she doesn't shrug off. "Listen. You're a very attractive young woman, Eun-Jung Bu. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"...Thanks, boss." Eun smiles a little and steps away from Belaern, heading toward where they'd be setting up their picnic.

"...Hmph. You never tell me I'm pretty." Rose mumbles.

"Well, you've never needed me to."

Vlad shrugs as he and Jack approach the picnic. "Well, I'll tell you what. We don't normally do live cargo, but... if you find some lizards to take back with you, I'd be glad to bring them back on our shuttle." It'd be a logistical nightmare otherwise; getting them overland any appreciable distance wouldn't exactly be a one-bird-lady job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Delmah Phor

If asked, Jack would also have said Eun was pretty, but she might not have appreciated that.

"No, it's OK. The Clattering's in a forest, halfway into the treetops. I'd need to let them know what I was doing first, and then they'd have to move which wouldn't be too hard. We're traditionally nomadic, though the Clattering itself hasn't moved so far as I remember. The individual homes, though? Move all the time, as people fall out with their neighbours or a tree falls over, stuff like that. There's nowhere easy to park your shuttle, not nearby, and it would probably panic everyone." It's really not even much of a guarantee that the Clatterers would like giant lizards as livestock.
    [Delmah Phor]

Raril's pointed ears twitch slightly at the hushed conversation. Pointedly, he stays turned away for its duration, deliberately ignoring what was going on, though he pretty clearly hears everything. His hearing was especially good, thanks to his lycanthropy. Inwardly, he sighs. He hadn't meant to make Eun feel bad or self-conscious, nor to lead her on. The intended compliments were genuine, just... meant without attachment.

Any trace of negative feelings are gone when he turns around again, bringing a heavy blanket to lay on the grass from behind Belaern's saddle. Catching the tail end of Vlad and Jack's conversation he asks, "You're looking to buy some cave lizards? They're not greatly adapted to the surface I'm afraid."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Ice]

"Because insulting people is mean and rude sirs. I won't do it sirs." Butler shakes his head in what can only amount to actual defiance.

"I think you would find yourselves much happier and with more friends if you stopped insulting people sirs."

Butler bets that these pixie people don't have a single big person friend.

Not a one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #1036

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Delmah Phor

If asked, Jack would also have said Eun was pretty, but she might not have appreciated that.

"No, it's OK. The Clattering's in a forest, halfway into the treetops. I'd need to let them know what I was doing first, and then they'd have to move which wouldn't be too hard. We're traditionally nomadic, though the Clattering itself hasn't moved so far as I remember. The individual homes, though? Move all the time, as people fall out with their neighbours or a tree falls over, stuff like that. There's nowhere easy to park your shuttle, not nearby, and it would probably panic everyone." It's really not even much of a guarantee that the Clatterers would like giant lizards as livestock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Delmah Phor]

Raril's pointed ears twitch slightly at the hushed conversation. Pointedly, he stays turned away for its duration, deliberately ignoring what was going on, though he pretty clearly hears everything. His hearing was especially good, thanks to his lycanthropy. Inwardly, he sighs. He hadn't meant to make Eun feel bad or self-conscious, nor to lead her on. The intended compliments were genuine, just... meant without attachment.

Any trace of negative feelings are gone when he turns around again, bringing a heavy blanket to lay on the grass from behind Belaern's saddle. Catching the tail end of Vlad and Jack's conversation he asks, "You're looking to buy some cave lizards? They're not greatly adapted to the surface I'm afraid."
    [Delmah Phor]

Vlad shrugs. "...And there's something else to consider." He says, folding it in to their current conversation. Raril had a point. Maybe Jack could go for some big lizards, but probably not these big lizards.

The girls will set about helping set up the picnic, Miranda in particular acting as an extra set of hands at every step. It won't take long for her to sort of fall into place; she seemed to have this uncanny sense of what Raril wanted to do with the various picnic components and would gladly save him the trouble at every step.

When the picnic's ready, Miranda will have a seat next to Eun, who will in turn be next to Raril. She's still blushing and having trouble meeting his gaze, but clearly still very much attracted and enjoying his company. No hard feelings there, it seems. Meanwhile, Rose will take a seat as far as physically possible from Miranda, which will probably put her on Raril's other side if Jack doesn't get there first. And Vlad will pretty much just sit anywhere.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-18 at 10:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1037

[Sewer System Blue]

"We are aware of a battleground scenario between dimensional creatures." The hiveling confirms. Two, three, or four sides depending on how you draw the lines. We have done preliminary investigations into two major factions, but are not ready for all-out conflict."
    "This world being what it is, I don't know if the interdimensional war we are observing is the same interdimensional war you are concerned with."

Cuthun was reverse-engineered, it says. By Sargon's people, or their predecessors. That...makes sense. Connections to other phenomena are made. Some of the hints that Françoise found fall into place. The parallels to the blessed crystal are obvious. There could be other levers like this. The oil, the Void. Could the principles of these dimensional creatures maintain...hmm...what ideas.
    "One group calls itself 'angels', and seem to cause arbitrary slaughter. Another is called 'fey' and they consume normal creatures for their Form. The third- does this sound familiar to you?"
    [Midnight Park]

The park itself is an interesting place. From a distance it looks like your typical dark, haunted forest with a massive tree rising from the center. But upon setting foot inside? There are little trails winding through the woods flanked with ghostly lanterns and luminescent flowers to keep the wild shadows at bay. And a few little warning signs, too, providing insight about why staying on the trails is VERY VERY important if you like your life energy staying inside your body.

It won't take too long before the goat will encounter an arion mare tending to some of the flowers while humming quietly to herself. She's a brightly colored creature with a pink coat and a sunny yellow mane and tail. She has an image of some luminous lilies on her haunches which appears to be the natural coloration of the fur and skin rather than something painted on. She perks up as soon as she spies the goat.

"Oh! A visitor!" she says, smiling as kindly as she's able. She lacks the flat teeth of a horse or even normal equestrians. Those are the teeth of a predator. "Welcome to Midnight Park! I'm Lunar Lilly. Are you just here to enjoy a walk?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Three Detectives]

"Hmm. If it's infecting people, it could be related to some of those prior events." Ithuriel mutters with a heavy sigh. "Hopefully not, but you never know. Well, not I've definitely got to give you guys a hand. I'll get a few things cleared up and be ready to go in a few." She pauses, glancing at first Ava, then Michalson. "Uh, sorry, assuming we are setting off immediately? I can meet up with you later or whatever if you want."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Three Detectives]

"We should probably leave sooner rather than later. But that depends on whether our guest has more she needs from us." He turns to Ava.
    [Sewer System Blue]

"We're certainly aware of these terms, but they're about as useful as 'demon' here, don't you think? Just how many types of angels and fey exist here? Five? Fifthy? Five hundred?" Pyrthon shakes his head. "But to really answer your question, we never knew what they called themselves, or what others call them. Our arcanists prefer more scientific terms. All we know is that life will be improved without them."

He pauses and looks around the section of the sewers they're now in. "We're going to have to gate out of here. Are you familiar with the technology?"

[Midnight Park]

The goat had no interest dying again and getting your life energy sucked out of you sounded like a pretty painful way to go. Or at least an depressing way.

She pictured what little color she had draining out of her, turning her grey and lifeless. Not a pleasant fate.
    Her thoughts are interrupted by the horse(?) however or, more accurately, by their sudden flash of sharp teeth.
    Instincts kicked in.
    If there was a fate worse than being drained of life it was being eaten alive and that's what she now pictured. Her body telling her to run.

But before she could do anything her more rational side intervened. Coming from that maw, no matter how sharp its teeth was, were the voice and words of a person. A friendly person.
    "Bwah?" The goat replies while staring dead-eyed at the mare like a deer caught in headlights. "...I apologize, miss. I came here searching for someone." The goat adds after finally blinking.

[Three Detectives]

"As I said, I'm not going to get in the way of any investigation. I've been to New Inside and I know that it's not always the easiest place to deal with. You should go and do you duty." Ava then reaches into her pocket to pull out a card. "Though if you ever need some information regarding the city from someone that isn't from it you could always give me a call." She offers Michalson it and will then stand back and give the two a nod. "Good luck."

18. - Top - End - #1038

[Midnight Park]

Well at least the goat didn't bleat and fall over stiffly. That would have been really awkward.

Lunar seems a bit puzzled at first by the reaction, but she seems to catch only quickly enough and closes her mouth. But then the goat decides to speak and the arion breaths a sigh of relief. It's never fun to spook someone on accident.

"Meeting someone? Well, we do get visitors here admiring the blossoms. We do our best to keep the publicly accessible parts of the park safe and welcoming. Were you planning on meeting at one of the rest areas? Or maybe the cafe at the foot of the Gloom Tree?"

A beat.

"Oh, sorry, I'm prying aren't I? Trying to be personable and friendly just comes so naturally now. It's been way too long since I've had a chance to really talk to people. Team Nightmære only rescued me a few days ago, btu I imagine you're probably not very interested in that story and oh goodness now I'm rambling ah, um, well you enjoy your walk alright? I'll just tend to the flowers here."

It would appear as though Lunar has managed to embarrass herself.

What a silly pony.

[Hunting for Ice]

"Eeww, why would we want to be friends with giant fat people?" one of the pixies yells back.
    "Yeah! You're all giant and fat!"
    "And ugly."
    "And really stupid!"

It would appear as though these pixies aren't getting any more polite, Butler.

You have some options here, after all.

You COULD just ignore them and get the ice anyway. They are, after all, very small. Or cease talking to them and get those leaves for them. You're not going to let yourself be thwarted by some rudeness, are you?

[Mossman Park]

You don't put geckos on your earlobe.

You put anoles on your ear. They're more robust and bitey than most geckos.

Regardless! The mostly tailless gecko squirrel bee is placed on top of June's head and he'll do a pretty good job of sitting up there.

"Huh? No I've just got the one. I don't collect names that's weird only weirdos do that," he objects to June's commentary about name-count. He hasn't ever encountered any of the Junes aside from this one so he's unaware of the cultural oddity she carries with her. Though it DOES lead him to wonder. Maybe since she had a bunch of names already that made a difference? But how could someone get a bunch of new names, new faces, new identities? June said she EARNED the name rather than stealing it or winning it or anything like that so... there's definitely something odd going on.

"I'm Drake, which is a wonderful and distinguished and great name! Also I was Drake before I was a bunch of dragony lizards since you were probably going to ask that since you're obviously a giant fat dope."

People always ask Drake if he was named Drake BEFORE he was a swarm of pixie drakes. The answer is always yes, he was. And then they usually say that's ironic because they're stupid and don't know what irony means.

"Anway turn your fat butt ninety three degrees to your left and head straight that way. That should take you to where I flew the other tiny idiot you since I have a hive out that way,"
    Drake says.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-18 at 10:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039

[Midnight Park]

That had happened far more times that the goat liked to admit. Like that one time at the... spooky party or whatever it had been called.

"Don't feel embarassed on my behalf, miss. After all, I'm just a goat." The goat makes an effort into mimicking a human smile. "Feel free to talk your hearts out, miss. However, I came here to talk to a... princess? A queen? Does that sound familiar?"

20. - Top - End - #1040

[Midnight Park]

"Oh, well, it's just nice talking to people again is all," Lunar admits.

But then!

The goat says WHO she wants to talk to!

Lunar's eyes widen a bit. "You're here to talk to the Princess? Oh! W-well I can escort your to the palace if you like? I'm not really anypony important. Especially not compared to someone who has an audience with the Princess."

Then?

She'll hop up onto the path and begin leading the way.

"I don't think I've ever seen a goat visit before, but then again I've only been here a few days. If I'm not prying too much... what did you want to talk with the Princess about? If it's something important or secret you don't have to tell me; I'm just a simple gardener."

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

[Verdant Heights]

"You have my sincerest apologies, but the rabble you command clings to life very stubbornly," Calm Reed says as she begins striding towards Braon with dread purpose. "I hope you prove more courteous and die quickly, as your kind deserves."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #1042

[Midnight Park]

"Erm, I'm not anypony important either, miss." The goats remarks with a shake of its head. "I'm just hoping that she would grant audience to a simple goat such as I." She starts to follow Lunar, having to speed up her trot speed as she was likely not even half of the mares size. "Just wanted to see if she could break something for me. Heard she's good at that from a friend."

23. - Top - End - #1043

[Sewer System Blue]
    "We're certainly aware of these terms, but they're about as useful as 'demon' here, don't you think? Just how many types of angels and fey exist here? Five? Fifthy? Five hundred?" Pyrthon shakes his head. "But to really answer your question, we never knew what they called themselves, or what others call them. Our arcanists prefer more scientific terms. All we know is that life will be improved without them."

He pauses and looks around the section of the sewers they're now in. "We're going to have to gate out of here. Are you familiar with the technology?"
    "More than five, fewer than five-hundred." the angel answers confidently. It was a rhetorical question, yes, but it has a real answer. Every strange invader can be catalogued and differentiated. Or at least almost all of them.
    "What did you call them? How did you distinguish them from other creatures?"

They shake their head no, antennae clattering against each other.
    "Familiar with your gates' manner of functioning, no. Explain it?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Abandoned Hospital

The operating room is a scene of carnage. Dried bloodstains streak the walls and ceilings, and bones are scattered about across the floor amidst scraps of torn and blood-soaked clothing that long ago dried out. The remains of two doctors are slumped over what must have been their patient, while their assistants are more scattered around the room. Whatever happened here, this place was hit bad.
    Does Carmen dare start searching the bodies?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Orc in the Playground

Delmah Phor

"Probably for the best. Most of my family back at the Clattering are... hm. I want to say lazy, but politely." Jack's got some lazy tendencies, too. She enjoys exploring and wandering around, so she spends most of the day exercising, but she doesn't have a proper job or much interest in one. "We aren't greatly adapted to the underground. Most of the tribe are claustrophobic to some degree or another, and that- combined with our polite laziness- is why nobody back home knows how to make metal." Also their limited nomadism, kleptomania and scavenging lifestyle.

Jack sits probably between Rose and Vlad; she's not interested enough in sitting next to Raril to get their first; he's not the only person in this group she finds attractive, and besides it's easier to see him if he's not next to you.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

26. - Top - End - #1046

[Verdant Heights]

Harley successfully magnetizes one (1) goblin. It is impaled upon her sword and slain.

Hooray?

The rest flee upwards to spring their trap on the unsuspecting people huddled in the apartment complex, hooting and whooping as they go.

This just leaves the monk, the witch, the mare, and the giant.

And what does the giant do?

Uh...

This would be a good time for Skidmark to clobber Calm Reed, right? Instead the hulking ogre just stands there, hands resting on the butt-end of his club. It doesn't look like he has any intention of intervening until Braon is either dead or fled.

Why?

Because he doesn't want her mucking up his fight of course!

[Midnight Park]

"Oh! She is, yes. Breaking things is her special talent," Lunar replies brightly as she trots along the boardwalk. "Physical things, I suppose, but more importantly metaphysical things. Chains that bind and enslave. Many of us here at Midnight Park used to be undead until the Princess set us free. I was... well... I wasn't anything very pleasant. I'm thankful to have my mind back; thankful the Princess freed me."

Sure there are some undead around the Nexus who are nice.

But...

It's not a condition most people would relish.

Especially the varieties that lash a tormented soul to their own festering body.

27. - Top - End - #1047

[Verdant Hills]

Harley, who is wearing a blindfold and a sundress, runs in. Once she realizes she's in a completely new and unfamiliar location, she slows and stops.
    As the big guy and the lady talk, Harley taps on her sword with her finger, so that she can figure out the layout of the room and who all is here, and everything else.

So, big guy. Lady near the big guy. Possibly more of these rude monkeys around?

Unfortunately, since she is blindfolded and has never really met Braon, she doesn't realize that Braon was directing her glare at her so she just assumes that sentence was directed at Calm Reed instead.

She turns her head towards Calm Reed and tells her, "Since both people in the middle seem to know you, I'll let you handle them."

And so, Harley points her sword at some of the nearest gremlins she located, and activates its magnetic ability, to pull it (and the things around it) towards her...assuming they are more of the trash baboons from earlier. She thinks they are, but doesn't want to attack them without confirmation in case they're just particularly beefy children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Verdant Heights]

"You have my sincerest apologies, but the rabble you command clings to life very stubbornly," Calm Reed says as she begins striding towards Braon with dread purpose. "I hope you prove more courteous and die quickly, as your kind deserves."
    [Verdant Heights]

Harley successfully magnetizes one (1) goblin. It is impaled upon her sword and slain.

Hooray?

The rest flee upwards to spring their trap on the unsuspecting people huddled in the apartment complex, hooting and whooping as they go.

This just leaves the monk, the witch, the mare, and the giant.

And what does the giant do?

Uh...

This would be a good time for Skidmark to clobber Calm Reed, right? Instead the hulking ogre just stands there, hands resting on the butt-end of his club. It doesn't look like he has any intention of intervening until Braon is either dead or fled.

Why?

Because he doesn't want her mucking up his fight of course!
    [Verdant Heights]

Braon lets out a little laugh at Calm Reed's attempt at trash talk. "Ha! You're a fun one, baldy." She smirks. "But there are two things you neglected. First, I don't do 'courtesy'." She gives Skidmark a little nudge here, nonverbally cuing him to back her up. "Second... you've never seen my kind." She lifts her hand and weaves the wind again, tearing down chunks of cieling with her vines, partly to try to drop on Calm Reed, but mostly to further divide her from Harley.

Who now has her full attention.

Braon lands in front of Harley, facing down the witch with a smug little smirk. "Hello there."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hunting for Ice]

Butler can't get them leaves because they're being rude AND can't get the ice because that'd be stealing.

Truly a dilemma.

He might be stuck here until the pixies learn something about friendship and rudeness.

Or someone rescues him.

Or he runs out of patience. It's just never happened before so it's really hard to say how long that would take.

He frowns. "I am none of those things sirs," He says, asserting that their aspersions are... incorrect. "Do none of you enjoy having friends sirs?" Some people like having only a few friends instead of many friends. But rarely no friends at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #1049

[Looking for Jo]

"I haven't really done anything strenuous yet, so I would be fine going straight there. A little hungry,.but as long as I take the train or hitchhike, that shouldn't be a problem," Carmen the half-succubus woman says.

They get to the portal back to the Nexus.

She gave him mostly just jewelry and stuff, and a few trinkets. Almost all of it is just normal, but a couple of the jewels are psychic crystals which is pretty neat, even if not useful.
    [Looking for Jo]

Fine stuff and likly things with a worth in the nexus. At least Fade can assume this. People like jewlery for some reason.

"Then let's head over. The jobs not done yet."

[Autumn Park]

"Oh, haha, you think I can only be THIS rock?" Feldspar laughs. "I can move to a different rock if I want to. That's a common mistake. Some people think oreads can only live in ONE rock or ONE mountain but it isn't like that at all. I can uproot myself and find a new rock to live in if I really wanted to."

At the question of nobility.

"Hmm... well... They're all pretty eccentric. I don't think there's a way to really just chat with them. Queen Buttercup doesn't have a phone number you can call or anything like that. I guess you could travel into the Enchanted Forest and try talking to her in her Glade but that can be pretty dangerous."
    [Autumn Park]

"Oh really? But yes I thought your kinda bound to that rock. Some Dryads are bound to a tree and can barly leave it." Mr C sas as he writes down the new informations. "Yeah I think so. I mean I don't want to turn into a buttercup. I guess i need some preperations first. But thanks for the time. That was so much and you did answer every question I have."

30. - Top - End - #1050

[Sewer System Blue]

"Kerub Six and Alvar Four, belonging to two distinctive categories of entities that we keep a record of. Our own version of 'angels' would be Kerub One for example." He makes a dissmissive gesture. "But when I say 'we' I really just mean the arcanists as that's not my duty ."

"As for gating, you should be viable for it. Basically you will be transfered through the roots of cuthun along with us. All you need is permission from the network and to give the signal essentially. Jaccalish can give it to you... should you want it." Pyrthon pauses, awaiting an answer.

[Midnight Park]

"Undead?" The goat prods, sounding intrigued. "What are these 'undead' like, miss? I've dealt with beings called that but they're not anything like you. No chains or anything."