New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 72: Halfway to a Gross

Pennilan's Tavern

"Oh well, I admit that I'm more likely to when pretty girls are involved." His grin returns for the time being.
    "But I guess I'm like Sticks too. You did something for me and I couldn't just let you walk away doing it for free, even if you tell me now it helps with a cosmic debt." he waves his hands a bit at the word 'cosmic.'
    "And I dunno, I wanted to get to know you a little. I don't get to talk to interesting people that often lately. One of my friends dragged me to a club and that was the first time I've been out in a while." he's glad Batu made him do that. He's been boring since he and Syela broke up.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-06-07 at 10:40 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

[Two Detectives]

What do those berks want from him now of all times? He hoped not to hear from them after the meme virus thing blew over. They gave him the creeps. A racist government, secret societies, wheels within wheels. The kind of thing he vainly tried to dismantle when he was younger and stupider.

"Uh... hold on. I have to take this one," he tells Ava before accepting the call. "Detective Michalson Barring speaking."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Searching for Jo]

"Yeah, I suppose it is like a torch," Carmen says. She had never considered it like that, but it makes sense.

There clearly aren't enough immediately around. "We...well, no, there's not a production place," she says since that's the easiest question to answer first. "The only locals who really know how to make it are, well, the leaders and their direct subordinates. Plus the gods, but they haven't been here in ages."

"So basically that would be...well, the leaders of the place locked up over there -" she points in the direction they can't go yet, "or, I guess, the paladins. They probably have a ton at their home base, and maybe we could find a few stockpiles around their outposts."

Carmen sketches a map onto the ground. There's a big X for the paladin fortress, a dot where they are, and smaller Xs for outposts, spaced pretty evenly around the whole area. "This outpost and this outpost are pretty closeby to us," she says, circling two of them, "so they would be decent choices, I think, if you don't want to go to their homebase."
    Searching for Jo]

The torch metaphor is something Fade can understand. It's a thing of light and shadow. Since he is a shadow he knows this well.

"I think we should avoid there homebase." Fade says. "As you mentioned they brought you here and I don't think they like to see you going around freely. I'm not sure how they react to me, but from experience it wouldn't be in our favor."
    He then points at the closest outpost he can make out on the map.
    "Let's head there. Unless you know someone who we could negotiate with. I am able to copy the ability to make the stones, but only if we can make them agree on thier own free will."

He doesn't go into details, since many people refused his request after hearing the way he does it. Even thought it doesn't harm the people it's not really something they want. Maybe it's the sideeffect that he copys more then just one ability.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

4. - Top - End - #184

Pennilan's Tavern

That compliment certainly brings a smile to her face and she giggles. "Well, um, it's certainly nice when someone takes that kind of interest. Especially from someone who, ah, feels like they need to get out more." She pauses, touching her hair nervously.

"I- I could take you out. To a club I mean. I've worked on one so they'd know me. Maybe your friend could come along too." Wait, why did she suggest that last thing? It had just blurted out of her.

[Two Detectives]

Ava simply nods and respectfully steps away to give him some space for his phone call.

Aitana sounds even grimer than he might have recalled her. "Mr. Barring, I take it you're aware of the situation?" That's... cryptic.

But as his reply is likely just confusion, she continues. "We got a catastrophe on our hands, at least twenty people have been killed in what our media describes as a terror attack on our soil. One of your... problems somehow got inside the city limit and started to infect our citizens. It's all over all our news channels right now if you'd tune in. It's an ongoing situation, happening right in front of me." She pauses, taking a deep breath. In the background sirens can be heard.

There's sounds of movement. "****.... okay, I know you don't care about what happens here but you must understand the diplomatic disaster that's waiting for us, right? Fingers are being pointed before the bodies of the victims even turn cold."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-08 at 10:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Pennilan's Tavern

Jim blinks but waves it off.
    "Well I don't want you to have to go back there if it was unpleasant for you. If you want to, sure, but Batu's spoken for so I can't really bring him without Div. And the two of them are so shy I don't think they'd like it if the atmosphere is even a little rowdy. They're really quiet boys." The karaoke club was pretty tame. And it should be, you don't go to a karaoke bar to dance to club music.
    And Jim's also aware that they're barely younger than him. But when they blush and get all sputtery he can't help but think of them as his juniors.

6. - Top - End - #186

Pennilan's Tavern

Jaahlyn might be taking Jim's blink the wrong way as she's suddenly blushing. "As a bouncer. I worked as a bouncer." She feels like she needs to clarify before moving on to what he actually said. "...but that makes sense. Sorry, I... when I heard you went to a club I just thought it might be something you wanted to do again. You must have a pretty good friend if he dragged you to a club he didn't even want to be in."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Pennilan's Tavern

Jim nods as if absolutely nothing odd was said. "Yeah, I can see it. But I meant that I wouldn't want you to go back if it was one of those jobs you did because you have to do jobs for people and you weren't treated well."
    He does stop to consider if he actually wanted to go. "Naw, it was a karaoke club. Something tame for my shy friends. For me...well I used to go to some wild parties when I was younger. But I don't know...I've been single a while now and I'm older. I guess I just haven't done it in ages and I don't know if I'll still like it. Some of the crazy places well...you have to be in the right company, I think."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

[Two Detectives]

The first answer that comes to Michalson's mind is a long string of phrases that would be unbecoming of a police officer on duty and utterly incomprehensible to anyone not from Sigil. He refrains from voicing them.

"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. A terrorist attack in another city is so above my pay-grade I can't see it through binoculars. I don't know if anyone can persuade your people that we didn't do it. I certainly can't."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sewer System Red]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    So they wouldn't be able to set up the ritual without getting interrupted here either? The creatures seemed to only react to pain however so as long as they didn't do anything to hurt it they could probably not even tell what was going on.

Still, that was a risk to take.

There is a short debate regarding their next move should be until the commander decides to not take the risk. They should set up the pyromancers ritual outside of the creatures reach.

So they move until none of those underground creatures are nearby before they start the ritual. It wouldn't take particularly long unless more distractions will be interfering with them.
    No more demons confront them, and it shouldn't be hard to retreat to a flat area near their arrival point, away from any underground creatures.
    These creatures, after all, are in communication with those at the Blue group. So they refrain from mounting any counterattack yet.

[Sewer System Blue]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "They were the ones that invited themselves here first. We decided to come along in hopes that we could make this encounter more... productive than what their plans are. They're military you see. Seeing everyone else as enemies and thus their solution to every problem becomes rather predictable." The metal fiend explains as the rest of their team are getting ready to move out.

"Cuthun can make basically anything for us. The only issue is controlling all the life it makes. This 'corruption', as the mortals call it, is a direct result of it going beyond our control. Creating completely independent life such as yourself and many other beings across this plane." But unless there are any replies to that the fiend will be moving towards the red team.

The result of the meeting resolved in my next post. The question is if any of the angels are going to be there for it.
    "Will the military forces not try to wipe you out as well, or do you have a prior agreement?"

The spokes-angel will be accompanying the metal fiends. Just, staying behind them so the red-team doesn't attack it on sight.
    Just behind it will come the mutant hound, ready to spring away at a moment's notice.

"Was there a time when it was all under control?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #190

[Sans Swordwoman]

"I..."
    "No, I haven't asked them."
    Seems like the obvious solution, but Venus just hasn't done it. "I don't think they're very reasonable people, but. . .I guess I can try."

Venus drinks from her juice before answering about sports biomechanics. "It's not as exciting as it sounds," she says, underplaying how exciting it actually is. "It's just looking at the biomechanics during sport stuff, instead of, like, machine interactions or orthopedics or just heart and blood stuff. I've done things like designing sensors and ways to analyze the bone stress during skating, to improve training, and motion capture during sword fighting, and athletic prosthetic stuff. Y'know. Just...normal things."

And yes! That is a lot of question.
    Venus drinks more and more, to give herself time to sort through the questions and sort them between 'probably should answer' and 'likely less important' and so on.

"So my friend... she's June. Basically pretty much she's my sister." They definitely could be sisters, based on how closely they look alike. Biggest difference between them is that one is inhuman and wears dresses while the other has a slightly larger chest and short hair. "And, y'know how there was a Buttercup invasion thing going on here some time ago? I got caught up in that. Changed basically everything about people: names, memories, personality, body, etc, but because of June and probably also because I'm a bit of a special case, it didn't do that much to me."

"And, um..."

Venus tries to rack her brain to remember what he's referring to with some of the other questions. When did she say something felt wrong? There's a lot she thinks that might refer to that. Is this referring to that papery thing, or the cultists, or her(?) changing/her memory(?) changing? There's been a whole lot of things that have been wrong thid morning.
    She decides to just not answer that question and leave it at that. If it's important, the wuestiont will come up again.

[Perfectly Normal Walk]

It's a huge relief that there's bioluminescent ferns. Better to see everything. As he passes one, he makes sure to pick some fern. It'll be really helpful on the way out, June thinks. He puts it in his shirt, since he doesn't need it now.

That other person he met earlier is taking a huge risk by distracting them, so he has no choice but to take the most direct route. The longer he takes, the higher chance his helper gets caught or trapped.

He doesn't run but he does go a little faster than usual, like someone who has somewhere to be. Definitely belongs there.
    Also, he sticks closer to the walls. Got somewhere to be, but not in the way.

He hopes this works, and works quickly.

[Searching for Jo]

Torches is also a really clever metaphor.

"Yeah. If we can avoid the whole group, that's probably a good idea."

Carmen looks over the map, and then tries to think about the best way to get to the indicated outpost. "So that's...right there the swamp is a bit deep, so...this way."

She starts off that way, going towards the outpost. "Remember last I was here was a long time ago. This outpost probably has nobody that likes me, but once we get to the succubus place, might find someone trustworthy enough to negotiate with."

The way to the outpost is pretty calm. There's some wildlife off to the right – some purple crocodiles, a jaguar sitting in a tree watching them pass, and another jaguar that starts following Fade and Carmen as soon as they pass it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #191

[Just Outside Trog's]

Miranda checks her watch as she and Eun walk out of the tavern. While Jack hadn't specified a time to meet, she'd told the rest of her team to be out and ready to leave by 7... for whatever their old 24-hour cycle was worth anymore. She absentmindedly paws at some loose strands of her hair, silently annoyed that their situation had brought back some inconveniences they hadn't had to deal with in a while. Like bedhead.

Eun was with her, all freshened up and ready to go. She was eager to meet with Jack again; the previous night had left her with a good first impression, and while she was rather attached to her confederates, she was looking forward to having a friend outside of work.

A few minutes after, Rose comes down the stairs, blowing a kiss back the way she came. "Bye, Alejandro! It was nice meeting you!" She pumps her fist as she joins the group, quietly enthused at the conclusion of her night at Trog's.

In a few more moments, Vlad arrives, piloting their shuttle, and thankfully managing to avoid all the buildings this time. "Good news, ladies. Guess who got the auto-pilot fixed last night?" He points both his thumbs at himself, giving the other three a cheesy, altogether-too-proud-of-himself grin. This is quickly wiped off his face as the shuttle takes off without him, leaving him standing in a cloud of dust.

"Well, that's everyone but our guide and Klaus." Miranda looks around. "It's not like him to be late."

"He's not coming." Vlad replies. "Said he had business in Skyside. He won't be back for a while."

"Hmph. Good riddance." Rose mutters.

"...Well, everyone but our guide, then." Miranda corrects herself.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Just Outside Trog's

Jack lands on the cobblestone nearby, wings initially outstretched but soon folding in again. She's an apparently human androgynous figure, with short black hair, grey eyes and a pair of large auk-like wings emerging from her back, with eyes in the middle joint- what might look like an elbow but is actually the wrist. She's missing her little finger on her left hand and her shadow is missing. Today, she's wearing a blue denim jacket and a pair of tan cargo trousers, with black steel-toed boots on her feet. A leather satchel has been slung over her shoulder, a stylised bird- maybe a crow?- branded into the leather. "Hi! I'm Jack, Eun and Miranda I know. Who's the rest of you?"

In the light of the early morning, particularly given her arrival by sky (her room had a balcony, and she flew off that), the absence of her shadow is pretty obvious, though still quite easy to miss. People don't always look for shadows, after all.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

13. - Top - End - #193

Just Outside Trog's

"Right. Jack, these are our coworkers, Rose Verdoyant and Vladimir Lustig. Vlad, Rose, Jacqueline Door, our guide."

All Vlad needs is the barest implication that Jack might be female to get him zipping up to her. "Pleasure to meet you. Say, if I told you you had a beautiful body, would y- oof!"

Rose had elbowed him in the ribs and seized his ear, dragging him away from Jack. "Down, boy." She gives Jack an apologetic grin. "Sorry about that. He does this every time. It really is nice to meet you."

Miranda sighs quietly to herself. This is why we don't normally bring you to the front, Vlad.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sans Swordswoman]

"I'd offer to ask for you, but if they can convert people just by talking to them, that might be dangerous. They can't convert you though. You're their goddess after all." Venus should technically be immune to such conversion! Although sometimes you end up worshipping yourself. And that turns tragic. "Or we ask together. That would probably be safest." That is always an option and while Rein has a mission to help Harley, he also has an obligation to help random people he meets. More a compulsion really. Maybe even a tragic flaw seeing as how often it has gotten him into trouble.

After listening to the explanation about sports biomechanics, he still only kind of gets it. That sounds like something people who are smarter than him mess with.

Which is perfect.

"If you're interested in continuing your work in sports biomechanics, might I suggest you join HALO? They have a lot of helpful research equipment, space, and most importantly - funding. And you wouldn't have to live with cultists anymore." Though said cultists might come to take her back. Which will be exciting for everyone.

On to June! He hadn't heard of her, so she must be new-ish to BDD. Rein used to frequent that place a lot, but he's had a hard time finding it lately. "Basically pretty much?" Reinholdt raises an eyebrow. Is this like... a half-sister situation or a 'we're so in synch she's my soul sister' bff sort of deal? Most people don't use pretty much when saying someone's their sister. They just say 'she's my sister'. "Anyways, I actually missed the Buttercup invasion because I was still dealing with the meme virus attack. Sorry, I don't know much about it. Sounds pretty frightening though. What made you a special case?"

Fortunately Rein doesn't follow up on that other question. Because if Venus didn't know off the bat immediately, then either Rein was mistaken or the memories have become too integrated for her to notice anymore. Memory magic is confusing. Didn't one of the other Reins mention meeting someone who specialized in memory magic? He'd have to ask himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #195

[Searching for Jo]

Torches is also a really clever metaphor.

"Yeah. If we can avoid the whole group, that's probably a good idea."

Carmen looks over the map, and then tries to think about the best way to get to the indicated outpost. "So that's...right there the swamp is a bit deep, so...this way."

She starts off that way, going towards the outpost. "Remember last I was here was a long time ago. This outpost probably has nobody that likes me, but once we get to the succubus place, might find someone trustworthy enough to negotiate with."

The way to the outpost is pretty calm. There's some wildlife off to the right – some purple crocodiles, a jaguar sitting in a tree watching them pass, and another jaguar that starts following Fade and Carmen as soon as they pass it.
    [Searching for Jo]

Fade follows. He seems to be quiet well with walking in the swamp. On top he tries to stay close, not for any romantic reason, but for the Stones that grant them safty from the Nothingness. Fade doesn't look around, he got the eyes of his shadow for that, which makes it extrem hard to avoid his vision, especially if you don't know it.

"One of the creatures is following us." he whispers to Carmen while walking. "Is there anything I need to know about them? I assume it sees us as a prey."

One hand remains close to the hilt of his sword just in case.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Just Outside Trog's

"Jack, please. Only mum calls me Jacqueline." Also faeries, because she told them her name was Jacqueline in the hope it'd not give them any power over her. Sort of worked- they needed her surname too, which she didn't give.

She raises an eyebrow at Vlad, and takes a half-step back. "Does that ever actually work? I can't see how. Try being... I'unno, less all-out? You'll scare girls off like that, and it's not very respectful besides." Hopefully Vlad will listen, because otherwise people need to keep an eye on him. There's lots of women about. "Oh, and when we reach Delmah Phor, don't even think of it. They've got some of their own rules in place, and they're a matriarchy I think. It won't leave a good impression." Jack reaches into her satchel and pulls out a glass bowl filled with water, with a rubber duck floating in it. Jack moves the bowl around and flicks the duck, before nodding to herself and putting the bowl back into her satchel. "This way, please."

17. - Top - End - #197

[Just Outside Trog's -> En Route to Delmah Phor]

Vlad shrugs. Jack wasn't really telling him anything he didn't already know, but terrible first impressions with the fairer sex were a tradition at this point. If his old pattern of behavior held, the next few minutes would be awkward, and then he'd drop the subject. "Dibs." He mutters to Rose, with a goofy grin.

"First, ew. Second, exactly who are you dibbing against?"

"What, are you not interested?"

"Why would I be?"

"Oh. I thought, because of that one time, with Carmen, in San Diego..."

"What in the world... that was a job, you lunkhead!"

The two of them keep up this squabbling in the background as Eun shuffles to the front of the group, following Jack closely, particularly at the glass bowl she'd brought out. "What is that? Some kind of compass?" She asks, curious.

Miranda brings up the rear, keeping a keen eye on the rest of her group. She doesn't really have anything to say at the moment.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-06-09 at 07:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

[Sans Swordswoman]

Venus nods: yup, she's totally listening while she's drinking.
    "I...I think it might be best to verify that my memories are stable and accurate before talking with them. With...the Buttercup stuff, it took me a full day before things stopped changing, and they changed based on what I was doing during that time. What if they start praying at me and then I become how they want me to be?" Seems pretty risky and unfortunate, especially today. "What if they convince me of something that's not true just because I can't remember it? Or what if my memories are jank? I'd rather not start a new problem before resolving the current one."

Venus considers the proposition to join HALO.
    Well, it's not that sports biomechanics is uninteresting - she still likes it - but rather that there's other things she likes more. "Do you guys also do, like, medical research and things like that?" she asks. And funding isn't really all that important. Well, it's important, but Venus would argue the most important part is the connections and networking. "And, well...that plot of land is kind-of part of me, I guess. Comes with the terrain of being part...nature, I guess. Abandoning it would be like...like..." Metaphors are hard for something she's never thought about before. "...like shaving all my hair off and stripping. I guess. Bad analogy, not sure if I can explain it." She sighs, then leans on the table, with her arm connecting between the table and her head. She taps a couple times, thinking. "Okay, sure. Yeah. I'll join HALO; it's better than sitting around hoping the next periodically random lifechanging event answers questions instead of causes problems." Seriously! Her life since coming to the Nexus has just been one random problem after the other. Getting kidnapped by cultists and held hostage, finding out crossdressing was the most reasonable way to earn money, waking up alone in a swamp with a vampire, getting mugged by kids with pokemon, [redacted by the office of self-censorship], getting turned into a nature-fairy-minor-goddess-deer-person, getting attacked by a dead wizard's hand who wants to steal her body, etc, etc, and now this. These sorts of things just seem to happen all the time. Makes her wonder what's considered 'normal' here.

Anyway.
    'Basically pretty much' is honestly probably the best way to describe it, because she doesn't feel like saying 'I don't know whether we're some sort of alternate-universe versions of ourselves who somehow have been quantum-entangled or what but that doesn't make sense because that only works on micro scale but i have no idea what happened and it's all weird and i would rather not tell anybody about it until i figure out what happened but i can't just pretend i don't know her at all because it's really obvious that we look and act uncannily similar and that would raise even more questions probably and that's even before getting into the weird mental connection.'
    Also, that's really wordy.
    Venus sets her drink down, since she's not going to be able to drink while talking through this.
    "Special case is, well...first of all, you know how people have names, right?" Yeah. Lots of people have names. "So the Buttercup thing worked by basically attacking your name, especially the names of humans and humanlike people. But, the thing is, where I come from, just having a name, especially a name that was given by someone else, is incredibly unusual: I have eight myself, and a way to defend myself from my name changing, but no way to defend against magic or mind control or anything else that was involved that other people seem to be able to defend myself. Not to mention what a name is is so fundamentally different that it took me months to wrap my head around how names are used here, and it seems this sort of thing half-depends on how you perceive things and how you think things should work." That was a long sentence/thought; she takes a deep breath and picks up her drink again. "Too long; didn't read, for various reasons, it just didn't affect me the same way it affected everyone else."
    She drinks. Almost gone.

[Searching for Jo]

The jaguar is definitely not expecting Fade to always be able to see it.

"Hm?" Carmen turns, looking for what he's talking about. And, eventually, she spots it: the jaguar.

"Oh! Oh." She freezes up and stares at it. "Oh, it's one of those. It's..." She thinks for a bit, partially trying to recall everything about it, and partially trying to decide what's relevant. "Good thing you found it without facing it: It's going to attack as soon as I stop looking at it. But if it sees us approach it or thinks it's in danger, it's going to back up and come back after us in ten or so minutes." So, basically, they have to deal with it regardless.

"If it's not hungry, all we have to do is hurt it enough to make it bleed; otherwise, we'll have to do a lot more. But!" In case he decides to immediately go after it, she quickly and forcefully says that 'but' to catch his attention and say the most important part. "It's also got some, um...psychic powers. Like, telekinesis and pyro stuff and maybe even some mind-reading."

"...I need to keep on staring at it otherwise it's going to attack." She can't approach it, either, or it's going to back up and come back later.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-06-09 at 09:10 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sans Swordwoman]

"Well, yes of course. I didn't mean today. It would be a bad day to talk to cultists." Not that there's any great days, except maybe if the stars are right.

He nods in affirmation. "Yes, quite a bit really, though we could use another in that field." One nurse is overfloofed and the doctor has been MIA since the memes. Though her talk of being directly tied to the land does shed some light as to why the cultists might worship her. "Excellent. If we get separated for some reason just look me up when you get there. I'll try to ease you in as best I can." Hopefully HALO can cut down on those random lifechanging events. At least to a reasonable degree.

Reinholdt drinks his rum as he tries to wrap his head around what Venus is saying. "I... see." To an extent. He really won't until like ninety percent of those details are elaborated on, but he can appreciate that Venus rules are different from normal person rules. And that might just have to be enough for now. Though that actually makes things dreadfully more complicated. Rein can't expect to use his normal logic on this current situation to figure out what's wrong or how to fix it.

He'll have to put all his faith in this June then. He finishes off the last of his drink. "Ready to go?" He asks, dropping a tip on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #200

[Perfectly Normal Walk]
    It's a huge relief that there's bioluminescent ferns. Better to see everything. As he passes one, he makes sure to pick some fern. It'll be really helpful on the way out, June thinks. He puts it in his shirt, since he doesn't need it now.

That other person he met earlier is taking a huge risk by distracting them, so he has no choice but to take the most direct route. The longer he takes, the higher chance his helper gets caught or trapped.

He doesn't run but he does go a little faster than usual, like someone who has somewhere to be. Definitely belongs there.
    Also, he sticks closer to the walls. Got somewhere to be, but not in the way.

He hopes this works, and works quickly.
    June can powerwalk along the walls without disturbing anyone.

One of those skull-faced little critters with all the legs races by, but it doesn't mind him. It's been ordered to rush to the chasm as fast as possible! Ignore distractions like a slightly-out-of-place human.

He gets past a weird bulky...plant(?) with several frills, and can see the pool he's aimed for. The water is glowing and churning; it's quite obvious, and not that far away.
    At one end of the pool is a heap of kidnapped people, with squishy-looking restraints glommed onto their hands and feet, who are variously shouting at their captors, screaming for help, trying to pull free, or waiting calmly for their doom. They are guarded by a pair of serpentine monsters with sickles for hands and cannons for shoulders - I know, serpents shouldn't have hands or shoulders, but that's what they are.
    At the other end of the pool is a terribly mutated figure - tongues going every direction, giant metal-tearing claws, several distinct skeletons, etc. - climbing out of the waters and shambling off.

When he picks part of the glowing fern, there is a momentary hush.
    And then everything turns to look at him. The guard-monsters, the frilled plant, even some disembodied eyespots that slurped up out of the ground.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #201

[Sewer System Blue & Red]

"Yes, but... events forced us to make it grow to the point where we no longer could control it." The metal fiend replies but doesn't elaborate as by now the two groups have spotted one another.

"Ah, this shouldn't take too long." The blue leader calmly approaches the red team and while their leader seems to have some heated words, gesturing to the 'angel' a couple of times, they eventually seem to reach some kind of agreement.

"They want to have their king speak to your leader." The blue leader informs them as they return to the angels. "I'm sure you know of Sargon, yes? I heard you were involved in the defense of Riverside."

[Two Detectives]

Michalson can barely finish his sentence before Aitana replies. "Let me get straight to the point then. The reason I'm calling you is that we need someone to oversee the investigation that's going to happen once the dust settled. The Inside police will make this their highest priority but as this is matter is political dynamite I need police that aren't biased. That have no alligeances whatsoever to New Inside. If not you, then one of your collegues. Someone that can make sure things go properly, that we find out what actually happened here. The official investigation might not mean anything to you, but it will mean something for the people of New Inside."

Pennilan's Tavern

"Oh, uh... no, my employers at the club weren't worse than anyone else actually. Otherwise there'd be no way I'd suggest it. Not that it matters, I totally see what you're getting at." Jaahlyn gestures for Jim. "But I still feel I owe you after this... and, ah, not in any mystical way. Is there anything you want to do? If we could do anything you'd want I mean. Like that kareoke thing for instance, or-" She giggles. "Something more crazy?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-06-10 at 01:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Pennilan's Tavern

"Crazy?" Jim stops to consider. What sort of crazy things does Jaahlyn normally get into? "How crazy are we talking about? Roller coaster crazy? Bungee jumping off flying dragons crazy? Taking random potions from Pi's shelves crazy?
    Though I suppose I could probably already guess you've got a good singing voice for the karaoke judging from giving out musical lessons."

He doesn't argue that this was all to pay her back for the free lessons and this is already going to get them into a cycle of owing each other. Best not to press that argument. It's no fun anyway.

23. - Top - End - #203

[Sans Swordwoman]

Since he mentioned going to talk with her, she assumed he meant today.

"Okay" she says, "I will. By the way, what wad your name, again? In case we get separated." Still probably a good thing to ask even if they don't get separated.

Having finished her drink, too, Venus stands.
    She nods. "Yeah."
    Then, she looks down at her feet. "Just need to decide which legs I should have." If they're going somewhere narrow or hard to go around, probably best to keep things as-is, she thinks.

[Perfectly Normal Walk]

Oh! This is great! Everything seems to be working, somehow. Completely ignoring him, and he even found the pool. Sure, there's a chance that once he gets closer they mi—

. . .

. . .

Oops.

He tries to think of a way out of this.
    June looks at the nearest disembodied eye. He's not sure how it can hear, but hopes it can somehow, anyway. "Um...hi," he says. "Like...I was told to come to this room. 'Cause, y'know, I'm friends with the gal you guys are looking for. And...and that was the only way I could think of to get someone's attention."
    He prays that this works and doesn't backfire horribly.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-06-10 at 02:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

[Searching for Jo]

Fade doesn't seems to be afraid of her explanation. You just need to hit it enougth to scare it away? Sounds easy. But the client insists on staring. Maybe he should use this for getting an advantage.

"If you keep staring we should head on until the area is in our favor." He will then attemp to grab Carmen over his shoulder so she can still stare at the Jaguar and they can go on. This way they should be slower, but in the end they move.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Towards Delmah Phor

"Magic ducky. Put it in water and it'll lead you to where you want to go. Except it's quite quick, so I'd not recommend putting it in a river or something. Works like a compass, though. Yeah. This way, guys." Jack gestures forward and leads the way, looking both ways before crossing every road. Kinda needed, too, there's a lot of vehicles about, and they're a mishmash as well. Howdahs on the back of triceratops, hovercraft, cars from electric self-driven limousines all the way to Ford Model Ts, and even steam engines and battered, recycled cars with no engines pulled by horses or weirder things.

"So, uh, always look both ways. There's a lot of traffic. I don't have a car, if I need to get around I generally fly if it's in Inside or I'd try the Riftline. That's, like, a load of the cars all on a single rail that they can't leave, but it goes really quick and it goes everywhere. Riverside, Skyside, most of the larger locations Outside, parts of Seaside, and the big organisations, too. Merc, the Good League of Good, HALO, and Vigil. Merc does mercenary and adventurer work, so if you're planning on making a living by beating people up, talk to them. The Good League of Good mostly do volunteer and charitable work, they've got a campsite out in the wilds, I hear. I've not been there, though. HALO I know nothing about, just the name. Heroic, uh... nope, can't remember the acronym, either. I think it's interested in magic. Vigil look out for the big stuff. Anything that threatens one of the cities or the world, they try to stop. I think they're quite successful, because we're able to be walking around, right? Nothing like continued existence to prove the people dedicated to stopping the end of the world are doing their job." Riftline's a train, or maybe a monorail. Earl can't remember. HALO does science research, but, well... Jack doesn't know the difference. And I think they're interested in magic as well.

26. - Top - End - #206

[Searching for Jo]

But it's a big cat! Big cats are dangerous.

Carmen can be picked up. She only weighs like 60kg. She's rather surprised when she gets picked up, but figured out what he's doing pretty quickly. "I...I'll try to not say anything that would make this awkward," she says, even though she has dozens of comments running through her mind that could do so.

The jaguar keeps on stalking behind them, not letting up.

Eventually, they reach the outpost. It looks well-maintained and includes a watchtower that they have to pass, but it all seems empty: there's nobody there.
    That's probably good! Nobody there means they can probably just stroll right in with no resistance.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Towards Delmah Phor

"Magic ducky. Put it in water and it'll lead you to where you want to go. Except it's quite quick, so I'd not recommend putting it in a river or something. Works like a compass, though. Yeah. This way, guys." Jack gestures forward and leads the way, looking both ways before crossing every road. Kinda needed, too, there's a lot of vehicles about, and they're a mishmash as well. Howdahs on the back of triceratops, hovercraft, cars from electric self-driven limousines all the way to Ford Model Ts, and even steam engines and battered, recycled cars with no engines pulled by horses or weirder things.

"So, uh, always look both ways. There's a lot of traffic. I don't have a car, if I need to get around I generally fly if it's in Inside or I'd try the Riftline. That's, like, a load of the cars all on a single rail that they can't leave, but it goes really quick and it goes everywhere. Riverside, Skyside, most of the larger locations Outside, parts of Seaside, and the big organisations, too. Merc, the Good League of Good, HALO, and Vigil. Merc does mercenary and adventurer work, so if you're planning on making a living by beating people up, talk to them. The Good League of Good mostly do volunteer and charitable work, they've got a campsite out in the wilds, I hear. I've not been there, though. HALO I know nothing about, just the name. Heroic, uh... nope, can't remember the acronym, either. I think it's interested in magic. Vigil look out for the big stuff. Anything that threatens one of the cities or the world, they try to stop. I think they're quite successful, because we're able to be walking around, right? Nothing like continued existence to prove the people dedicated to stopping the end of the world are doing their job." Riftline's a train, or maybe a monorail. Earl can't remember. HALO does science research, but, well... Jack doesn't know the difference. And I think they're interested in magic as well.
    "Pft! Come on. We've all been in the world-saving business long enough to know it's 90% downtime." Vlad chuckles.

"For you, maybe it is." Rose deadpans.

"Hey, like Confucious says, 'choose a job you love...'"

Rose gives him a friendly punch in the arm; their agreed-upon way of saying "touchè". Vlad humors her by rolling it a little, hand over where she'd hit it.

Eun looks around at the anachronism cleverly disguised as a city street, trying to make sense of it all. It said something when their shadowless bird-lady of a guide didn't break the top ten when it came to "things wrong with this picture". How were these triceratops surviving in an atmosphere like this? Why were those hovercars still spitting exhaust? How did all of these animals get about without making a mess of-

sqlch

"Ewewewewewew-" Eun cringes, wiping her shoe rather forcefully against the sidewalk with each step, trying to scrape the muck off.

Miranda, however, was listening intently to what Jack was saying, a notepad in hand, jotting down everything that sounded relevant; which is to say, everything. "So, what parts of the city do we need to avoid?" She asks. "I mean, everyone you listed off is presumably on the up-and-up, but surely not everyone who ends up here is so well-intentioned..."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Towards Delmah Phor

"Most- not all, but most- of the city's parks in Inside. They aren't all dangerous, but they can be. One's got a volcano in it now. Another, my favourite park, goes on forever. Literally, you can go around it fine but going through's not a short cut. If you try, keep the fence in sight otherwise you could be going on for miles before you find a way out. There's a wishing fountain in the middle, if you find that turn around and go back the way you came. It's not the same distance from there to the fence on the other side." It has a finite circumference, and a finite radius (about a half day's walk) but an infinite diameter. "I'd advise against Skyside, too. The whole city. They keep slaves and there's no laws, except whatever rules the local power group is able to enforce, with whatever punishments they feel like. Um. There's dangerous spots in Outside and Seaside, too, if you go there stick to the roads because they're usually safer or at least more consistent. Was a group called AMEN, but I've not heard from them in a while. Uh, what else... The Mispeld Semettarie is usually overrun by undead, and if you see anywhere that is labelled Red Zone, keep out. Those lead to places where Inside rubs against something dangerous, like a city being besieged by aliens or whatever. And don't trust any child in an alleyway, especially if you can't see its eyes. They're monsters that want to eat you." But kyldren aren't particularly dangerous, since they don't spit fire and are relatively easy to kill. Also they're mine.

29. - Top - End - #209

[Towards Delmah Phor]

"Misspelled Cemetary, Red Zones, most parks, Outside, Skyside, Seaside, and dark alleys, got it."

"Wait a minute... Skyside? Isn't that where Klaus went?" Eun asks, concerned.

"He knows it's dangerous. That's why he went." Rose replies.

"We can discuss this later." Miranda sighs. "For now, we should be a little more concerned about where we're going." She turns back to Jack. "What else can you tell us about Delmah Phor?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #210

[Sewer System Purple]

The angel watches the discussion between the living fiend and the mechanical fiend. How interesting. Almost comical to watch.

"We do. Are these Sargon's forces, then? And who are you led by?"
    They nod to the other question. They temporarily brought down the communication block, and got a few people up to the giant demon ship.
    But then Ilpholin turned on them and that was pretty much the end of their contribution.
    It all ended up well, though.

"I can open a connection for them to talk to our queen. Even here, if that is acceptable to the king."

[Perfectly Normal Walk]

What he's saying seem to carry over somehow, because June gets a response. And that response isn't the snake-monsters firing their cannons.
    Darkness swarms over the area like a solid living thing, hiding everything further than that one disembodied eye.
    Words and ideas press their way into his thoughts.
    Attention given. She is one of us, but not with us. Alone. Unfinished.
    Here, splintered, dying. We may yet survive, even with us, but with her power it would be assured.
    Will you bring your...friend...or...do you carry some madder message?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine