New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 72: Halfway to a Gross

Temple of Bahamut

G'nichi hasn't been visiting the temple quite as much as he used to. But he has been going from time to time.
    And Tiamat has requested that he come when he had Imhullu in hand. He's not sure how well that's going to go but no one stops him as the bespectacled hero wanders into the temple during the off-hours and gently lays a shiny magic net onto one of the shrines.
    The temple is oddly plain for a temple for dragons. It's large to be fair, and polished all over. But there aren't exactly gems encrusted on every surface.
    Our hero finds a seat off to the side to pray for a while.
    (closed)
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Temple of Bahamut]

Imhullu sits there atop the altar, as placid as the sea on a windless day. If something is happening, anything at all, it isn't obvious. Just a magical net sitting on an alter.

Usually offerings get left on altars.

And when something as fancy as an obviously magical weapon (even if that weapon is something like a net) gets placed it catches the attention of the clergy.

In this particular case?

A dragonborn cleric emerges from one of the back rooms of the temple to trim the candles when she notices the VERY shiny and likely VERY valuable artifact. It wasn't there when she left the room, so obviously-

Oh!

There!

That great big half dragon guy over there praying! He wasn't here before so clearly he must have left that... net? on the altar.

"May justice and goodness flow from your deeds, friend," says Nala, the dragonborn cleric. She's dressed in armor and robes, always ready for battle should the need arise. The breastplate obscures her chest, hiding the fact that she bears the shameful Curse of Tiamat. "If you're here seeking works blessed by the Justicemaker there are some tasks that are most needful."

After all, Bahamut isn't very interested in being worshiped through objects and rituals. Prayer through action is the Platinum Dragon's favored means of veneration.

There's no indication that Nala recognizes G'nichi at all.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

G’nichi bobs his head in response to the lady entering. His expression becomes as much of a nervous, friendly smile as his reptilian features can manage.
    ”Oh, good morning Nala. How is your abuela doing? I know I’ve been a bit behind on my deeds. But after all the bullet and stab wounds I made a promise to quite a few people to stay out of trouble for a while.” His claws nervously start tapping the rhythm of Winged Hussars.
    ”Oh and don’t worry if Imhullu vanishes off that shrine in a while they kind of do that if I leave them anywhere for a while.”

4. - Top - End - #214

[Temple of Bahamut]

The cleric pauses mid-step, a look of confusion and concern crossing her face.

"My... how do you know my name?" she asks.

Then takes a few steps forward, studying G'nichi's face.

There's still no spark of recognition, but now she's suspicious.

"Do I know you from somewhere, sir?" she asks.

She's pretty sure she would recognize a HUGE half dragon guy.

Because in spite of any suggestion to the contrary, half dragons aren't THAT common.

Really! About as common as non-evil drow from the underdark.

She doesn't even comment about the net-related remarks. Figuring out who this half dragon is? That's more pressing.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

The man beside her seems to shrink into his seat.
    ”What, you told me your name when we were in middle school. Don’t tell a coat of scale paint has you mixed up.”
    There’s nothing on that bronze and silver face that Nala would recognize.
    The green glasses with the little cut G’s on the sides? Those might be more familiar.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Heresy Fighters

"Stop! I don't think you're thinking clearly!" Purple jumps back from the initial thrust, only for the second attack to hit her arm. Luckily, she's wearing full armor on her upper body, including gauntlets preventing her from being seriously injured there, but she clearly doesn't have the skill necessary to defend herself against an adversary like Gold.

Necropolis of Kysimax

The sword strikes the skeleton's shoulder cleanly. If there had been flesh, it would have been skewered. In response the skeleton nods, seemingly in approval. Then, completely unharmed, he steps up again and attacks, unleashing a flurry of sword blows at Venus's head and shoulders, all stopping just short of harming her, should she fail to avoid them.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #217

[Temple of Bahamut]

Okay now Nala is looking a bit irritated.

"Sir, I've never seen you before in my life," she admits. "Unless you're a temple regular who found himself transformed into a half dragon I'm afraid you've somehow mistaken me for someone else."

Which would be hard.

Let's be honest here.

How many dragonborn have you met in the Nexus?

Tieflings?

TONS of those.

But dragonborn?

There are probably more half-dragons than dragonborn in the Nexus. Which is... demographically pretty weird.

But hey, the Nexus is a weird place.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Sans Swordwoman]

Since he mentioned going to talk with her, she assumed he meant today.

"Okay" she says, "I will. By the way, what wad your name, again? In case we get separated." Still probably a good thing to ask even if they don't get separated.

Having finished her drink, too, Venus stands.
    She nods. "Yeah."
    Then, she looks down at her feet. "Just need to decide which legs I should have." If they're going somewhere narrow or hard to go around, probably best to keep things as-is, she thinks.
    [Sans Swordwoman]

"Oh yes. My apologies. I am Reinholdt, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire!" Reinholdt performs his trademark flourish. It's truly exceptional and one of a kindTM.

He'd normally offer to fly them, but that would be a bad idea when you're trying not to see things. "Alright..." He steps over to the door and reaffixes his mask. Mostly. It might have a little wiggle room to peer when needed. "Let me think. Umm... from here, you want to jump onto Nameless avenue, take that until Shades of Gray road, keep an eye out for Nomlas alley and an employee only entrance to BDD should be in that back corner of the Nomlas and Neon Knight intersection."

There's nothing more back road than those roads. Only a few people are even capable of traversing them as they require knowledge of their existence to use, so it's unlikely the elementals would bother with such sparsely traveled areas.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-06-11 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #219

A clown is walking through the city streets, his oversized shoes squeaking every step with a maddening monotony that soon forces the clown to adjust his pace just to vary the timing. First he tries walking faster, then he tries slowing down, and when neither of those sound any better to him he just takes to skipping and stumbling at random intervals. Improvised musical jogging, he thinks. "Jazzercise, hahaha. Ha..."
    He's putting up flyers all over the more populated parts of the city, so he'll unfortunately be at this for awhile.

THE GOLDEN CIRCUS IS NOW HIRING!

Have you ever wanted to be a part of something greater than the sum of its parts? Have you ever watched a grand spectacle and wished you could have been involved in it? Have you ever wanted to give something back to the Nexus that gave you so much excitement and fun? The Golden Circus will be putting on a show like nobody has ever seen before, but we need YOUR help!

Are you a Mad Doctor, Insane Postgrad, Crazy Undergrad, Zany Student, Evil Genius, an engineer, a trained craftsman, an amateur stagehand, a technological supervillain, a superhero gadgeteer, or someone who just likes building things? We have several openings for jobs that will build most of the Circus' attractions. Help us bring our dreams to life!

Are you a wizard, witch, sorcerer, warlock, cleric, priest, hedge mage, arcanist, divinist, illusionist, thaumaturgist, occultist, ritualist, theologist, philosopher, dabbler, hexer, practitioner, spellthrower, or bard? We are hiring a large team to design rituals, craft wards, and weave enchantments that will make the Circus more safe and fun. Help us have a magical time!

Are you a henchman, mook, gladiator, adventurer, entertainer, clown, Magclone, theater student, flashmob musician, angel, devil, magical girl, magical boy, antimagical child, manual laborer, juggler, acrobat, ACRO rat, mutant, geek, or someone with no more dignity who just wants to be able to afford food this month? The Circus has many entry level positions for staff and workers. Help us put a smile on everyone's faces!

Do you want a job with reasonable hours, challenging assignments, opportunities to network and make friends with the Nexus' best and brightest, competitive pay in negotiable currencies, free medical benefits, and life insurance?

The Golden Circus is now holding interviews at [Office building in Inside's Blue Zone]! Apply in person today! I am looking forward to meeting you.

Ringmaster Reynard.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

Dragonborn suffer from a great injustice of aesthetic. The Nexus rejects them and their weird tailless selves.
    Except for proper ones like Ferdie and Kai who do have tails.
    "H-Half-dragon? I just assumed I was a dragonborn with a tail." See?
    "Well, you see Nala, that's- well it's that I- it all started with- oh bugger."
    The large man slips a little plastic ID card from out of his pocket.
    The one that has a little green fellow on the front with the text: NICHI, G'

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

[Golden Circus Office]

By the door of that very office in the Blue Zone, something sparkles bitterly. In a sequined outfit, a lithe cat lady balances on top of a large ball, and not even her extremely glittery makeup can hide how little she enjoys this. The occasional lash of her tail gives it away. That she is very good at this acrobat stuff does little to make this better for her. She hopes people show up, if only to provide a momentary distraction from her sparkly torment.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Heresy Fighters]
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Stop! I don't think you're thinking clearly!" Purple jumps back from the initial thrust, only for the second attack to hit her arm. Luckily, she's wearing full armor on her upper body, including gauntlets preventing her from being seriously injured there, but she clearly doesn't have the skill necessary to defend herself against an adversary like Gold.
    "I wasn't thinking clearly. It had all become fogged. But now I see once again."

The thrusters on their armor flare up again as they try to dash around Purple, demanding that their opponent turn to block a wide jab, hoping that after that, they won't be able to avoid a kick sweeping out her leg
    "Will you put down your sword and listen?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #223

[Temple of Bahamut]

Nala doesn't have a tail.

If she DID then she might be mistaken for a lizardwoman!

Or a really big, really buff kobold? Maybe? Or an unusually swol Argonian? Or maybe a Lizard with an unusually short neck.

Really, there are lots of options. But she isn't any of those things.

But what she DOES have is the ability to read identification cards.

There's a gasp of shock from her. "G'nichi?"

Her face flows through a range of emotions. Shock, relief, and then... anger?

"I thought you were dead!"

Ah, that's probably why.

"You went out to distribute alms and then there was that terrible accident and you just disappeared and everyone thought you were dead!"

Oh no, is she crying? What a terrible ball of emotions this is bringing out.

"I kept thinking what if... what if I had gone with you. I knew you liked me but I never said anything because I wanted you to be more confident and if it wasn't for my silly pride you might have been alive if I had gone with you but I DIDN'T and then you were dead and it was because of me!"

Then she punches him in the arm.

Not super hard.

But she isn't being gentle about it, either.

"And now you're fine! And huge! What happened down there?" she asks, starting to calm down a little.

Story time?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

Oh no G'nichi is punched in the arm!
    "I- but- but- they didn't tell you??" He certainly seems incredulous.
    "So I got pretty badly messed up and Kara had to heal me up and then I went on a quest and got shot a bunch of times and got healed up again and then finally got that potion but that was maybe a week. My parents know I'm fine and they've been in here on all the usual days. I mean I've been here, I even joined Paladin Tanngo's gym club!
    I just- it's-they, did they really not tell you? and did you just say you liked me"

Oh dear she's making him sputter now.
    "Um long story short I got saddled with a bracelet of magical weaponry which binds me to grand and heroic destinies or something and I went looking for a way for that to be less likely to kill me which resulted in...this. I think it worked out. Yurioc was very sweet to me." He sounds sad at that last part. G'nichi doesn't think Yurioc is doing very well at the moment. But then again he did say he was beyond ancient by mouse reckoning.

15. - Top - End - #225

[Temple of Bahamut]

"Nobody told me! Nobody tells Nala anything," Nala huffs. "I just tend to the temple and find causes to add to the Heroic Deeds register so Bahamut's champions can pray through their mighty works but no, no reason to let Nala know that cute little G'nichi is alive and well and a half dragon now somehow."

Boy she's fuming.

Why didn't anyone tell her?

But then something else catches her attention.

"W-wait. Kara healed you? You can't be talking about Karaglen. The silver dragon? She's back in the Nexus? Does she still have that abominable sword?"

It was around the time of That Day, wasn't it?

Karaglen found that daemon possessed sword and stopped coming to the temple. Nala had heard rumors that she had left the Nexus. Maybe even that she had gone off the deep end and was killed. But those must have just been rumors.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

G’nichi files the “cute” comment for later.
    And judging from the pattern of his scales he’s half TWO dragons.
    ”Um. I think that’s her. Young one, bronze brother, related to Zee from Trog’s? She didn’t have a sword. Don’t think she’s big enough for one.”
    Come to think of it, Kara did seem nervous when G’nichi had mentioned his faith. Maybe she was just shy of getting the response that he just did?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Heresy Fighters

Purple goes down when her leg is swept, and the sword clatters out of her hands. "Are you crazy!? What!?" She doesn't seem to amenable to listening, but her sword is down now.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #228

Default [Heresy Fighters]

Gold dives over to try to grab Purple's sword, and if they can manage that, return their own sword to its sheath.
    "Not crazy. You don't have the whole story. Do you want to know it?"
    Well, Gold doesn't have the whole story either. But they think they have an importantly larger part of the story.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

[Two Detectives]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Michalson can barely finish his sentence before Aitana replies. "Let me get straight to the point then. The reason I'm calling you is that we need someone to oversee the investigation that's going to happen once the dust settled. The Inside police will make this their highest priority but as this is matter is political dynamite I need police that aren't biased. That have no alligeances whatsoever to New Inside. If not you, then one of your collegues. Someone that can make sure things go properly, that we find out what actually happened here. The official investigation might not mean anything to you, but it will mean something for the people of New Inside."
    Michalson mutters something into his beard, that would quite certainly be unsuitable for print.

"Sod it all and call me a gereleth's groom. I'll do it. But I'm bringing in my partner and that's not negotiable."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-06-11 at 03:05 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #230

[Temple of Bahamut]

He's quarter dragon, but two of those quarters are both dragon.

Anywho!

Nala doesn't reply to that.

She just looks puzzled and concerned.

While Nala was aware that Karaglen spent lots of time over at Trog's (including sleeping in the rafters) she wasn't aware that she had any relationship with the tavern's... unusual... barmaid. Nala had heard that Zee returned after being gone for seven years, though she really doesn't visit the tavern. Mostly she had just heard tales from adventure-y types who frequent the rough and tumble bar. Nala knows that Zee is some sort of thing from the Outside. Dangerous and not to be trusted. Though for all intents and purposes the barmaid seems to be aligned with the cause of justice and goodness if her deeds are any indicator.

Clearly something strange is going on.

She'll have to get to the bottom of it.

She owes Karaglen that much, right?

"I see," she says after a few seconds of silence.

Then?

G'nichi is given a pleading, hopeful look. "Please don't just vanish like that again. Let me know. The holy work of Bahamut is often dangerous. Many champions leave for quests and I never hear from them again. I never know if they've just moved on or if they fell fighting for the Justicemaker's cause. It would put my mind at ease."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Heresy Fighters

"Do I have a choice?" Purple asks, slowly getting to her feet. With her weapon secure in Gold's clutches, there's not much she can do, and she suspects Gold would get violent again if she did refuse to listen.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Perfectly Normal Walk]

Oh! Good.
    Getting shot at would be pretty unfortunate.

That thing with all the legs earlier said it wouldn't make sure that she was safe...so there's no way he can just bring her here. Especially because he hasn't even got the chance yet to call and make sure she was safe and wasn't gotten by that snake thing and that red person.

"What do you mean by madder message?" he asks. Besides, this is absolutely something she should decide for herself, he thinks. Just betraying her and turning her over to people who don't even care about her...that's impossible. "Are you talking about that angel person that was looking around earlier? She said something about you guys, too, but she didn't give a message to pass on."

Honestly, this whole situation, he's way in over his head. All he can do at this point is pray that everything turns out alright, one way or another.

[Necropolis of Kysimax]

Venus has no choice but to back up as she gets attacked with the flurry of attacks.
    Obviously, she protects her head, since that's obvious. If there's a sword swinging at your head, you stop it. This means her shoulders have slightly less protection as she moves the sword back and forth and rotates it to block the skeleton's sword. Backing up helps a bit, too, to give her time to react.

Unfortunately, even though the sword she's using is wood, it's still a bit heavier and bulkier and different-sized than she's used to, which makes it harder to react as quickly. So some of the strikes towards her left shoulder would get through.

Since he's just striking nonstop, Venus just hopes he tires out before he backs her all the way across the field into a corner, since that would be unfortunate. Although, she's not really sure if skeletons even do tire out. They're just bone, right? So there's nothing to get tired.

[Sans Swordswoman]

Flying would make it so you can see everything around; that's a good point. Glad he thought of it, because Venus wouldn't have thought about it until it was too late.

Venus laughs: that was a very nice flourish. Definitely ups the mood and makes it easy to forget about the potentially-serious problem of either having memories tampered or body altered.

"I knew about a way there that goes through the underground to a delivery-only door, but I've never heard about those roads," Venus says. Luckily! This particular path - Nameless, Shades, Nomlas, Neon - doesn't seem too difficult to remember. Just two and a half roads and one intersection.
    She leaves the bar.
    "So the nameless avenue is in..." She looks both directions, trying to see if she can intuit where it is. Ultimately, she decides, "Well...I'll let you start off. Less chance of getting lost." And then if he wants to be blindfolded after that, he can just follow her floral scent.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

G'nichi does his best to nod reassuringly. He would never want to make Nala fret.
    "I promise, Nala. And like I said, I'm taking it easy for a bit to get actual training before I go into something more dangerous. Um..." he holds his arms out to give Nala a hug! That's the most reassuring thing possible, right? A hug from a really big dragon-person?

24. - Top - End - #234

[Heresy Fighters]

"You can leave. I will not harm you if you do, and you do not have to be involved." Gold offers.
    "You could try to stop me unarmed. It would be very difficult, but you are pretty brave, aren't you?" Their voice is confident now, unwavering.
    "You could learn on your own terms. Listen to the hidden secrets and try to make sense of them for yourself."

[Perfectly Normal Walk]

The mental voice considers June for a moment, and gets to the point.
    You did not bring your friend. You did not bring a message from your friend. Why are you here? They probably wouldn't like the truth.
    One of the serpent monsters starts slithering closer to him.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-06-12 at 10:43 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Towards Delmah Phor

"Um, they don't have any abandoned attics? Really, I've never been to Delmah Phor before, so this is going to be new to me, too. Yeah, I know, I'm not much of a tour guide, but normally I'm showing people all the stuff up there, the rooftop gardens and the parkour tribes and stuff." Jack points at the roofline. A rickety-looking rope bridge crosses a very busy main road just ahead, and a man with a whip and a fedora is running across it rather rapidly whilst holding a stone hedron, chased by a group of red-skinned goblins carrying crude spears and throwing stones at him.

They should get to the edge of Delmah Phor soon.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Towards Delmah Phor]

Well, that was helpful. Most of the group keeps going toward Delmah Phor, except for Eun, who's stopped to watch the chase.

"...Bu. Come on."

"In a minute. This is the best scene in the whole movie."

"...What movie?" "Never mind that, come on!"

"Ugh. Philistines." Eun mutters as she joins them again.

Nobody really has anything to say until they reach the enclave.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

27. - Top - End - #237

[Temple of Bahamut]

Nala looks at G'Nichi for a few moments as he awkwardly stands there with his arms out.

Then she gives a sigh, a good natured smile, and hugs him back.

There.

Hug accomplished.

"Well, I'm glad that you didn't decide to be stupid with your good works. Wisdom is just as important as valor," Nala says. "You take care of yourself, G'Nichi. And don't be a stranger!"

No strangering, G'Nichi!

Not even a little bit.

Meanwhile! The net sitting on the altar is doing something weird. The area around it smells faintly of both sea and river, the air heavy with moisture. It seems... sunnier there? And warmer. There's an unmistakable sense of hope.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple of Bahamut

Quick G'nichi don't let it end there! She called you cute!
    "Um, sure Nala. Maybe we could get drinks sometime? I uh, I mean clearly I need to talk to you more often than just when I bump into you here by coincidence."
    He gives a sidelong glance at Imhullu. He'll have to retrieve her in a moment.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Necropolis of Kysimax

The skeleton doesn't tire or let up. He keeps forcing Venus back with his constant attacks. The edge of the ring is getting nearer and nearer.
    Hopefully she has a way to get out of this situation.

Heresy Fighters

"Fine, lay it on me." Purple is still armed, but not calling attention to it. She has the cutting torch Gold gave her. She's hoping talking will distract Gold enough that she can get close enough to use it.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #240

[Temple of Bahamut]

Nala gives G'nichi a sly look.

"Are you asking me on a date, G'nichi?" she inquires.

Uh oh.

She's got your number, G'nichi! How did you expect to pull one over on a cleric who has invested in Sense Motive?

What are you going to do?

What are you going to say?

Quick!

Saying something clever and suave!