Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Epic adventure with real role play (Found DM)

Other than the “I wanna play a monster” aspect, how do you see yourself fitting into a group?
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Other than the “I wanna play a monster” aspect, how do you see yourself fitting into a group?
    Well, if we're trying to overthrow a corrupt church regime (that's the gist I'm getting) then that fits pretty well with the idea of an anti-tyranny celestial creature whose whole purpose is to put corrupt rulers in their place. That was what I was thinking
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You can attempt to Magic Jar during the game, but you cannot start with a Magic Jar'ed body.
    Well, to be fair. The idea was to cast Magic Jar on a creature, most likely a Simulacrum, cast True Polymorph on my body, wait until the casting becomes permanent, and then transferring myself back to my new body with all of my class features intact.

I wasn't thinking of trying to make myself into a Dragon or something equally as powerful either. As fun as that might be, it doesn't really fit my character, as I especially want to lean into the melee capabilities of the Bladeslinger. Because of this, I was focusing on retraining a humanoid form. Not to mention I don't really have any interest in Innate Spellcasting, as I already have my own. It might have basically let me double up with my spell list, but I think I have enough spells already.

I was either thinking of making myself a Githzerai Anarch, or if you believe that is too powerful, I was looking at making myself into a Warlord, a Dragonborn one of course. Though I will admit that the Anarch with its higher Dexterity, is far more useful to my character than the Warlord is with only 16 Dexterity. Though I will admit, now that I stop to think about it. Stealing the body of a 'Planetar' to spite the Church, or turning myself into a Marilith to show how far I would go is tempting too... but, they are probably too strong.
    Last edited by D&D_Jedi; 2021-06-11 at 04:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph Null View Post
    Well, if we're trying to overthrow a corrupt church regime (that's the gist I'm getting) then that fits pretty well with the idea of an anti-tyranny celestial creature whose whole purpose is to put corrupt rulers in their place. That was what I was thinking
    And a common ordinary class wouldn’t fit into that? Cleric? Paladin? Anything else?
    I like the globe warm...

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

And a common ordinary class wouldn’t fit into that? Cleric? Paladin? Anything else?
    A common ordinary class will never fit any of my character concepts.

Well, to a degree, it could, if it weren’t me. I’ve had enough of common and ordinary. Both of those words have such a negative connotation to me.
    Normality is boring. I will never play a human, for instance, because they are common and thus boring. If playing 5e means that you can never go beyond ordinary, then I just won’t play 5e.
    Which is, as I know it, not always the case. I do on occasion run into a GM open-minded enough to let me do these kinds of things. Unfortunately these are few and far between.
    Last edited by Aleph Null; 2021-06-11 at 04:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph Null View Post
    A common ordinary class will never fit any of my character concepts.

Well, to a degree, it could, if it weren’t me. I’ve had enough of common and ordinary. Both of those words have such a negative connotation to me.
    Normality is boring. I will never play a human, for instance, because they are common and thus boring. If playing 5e means that you can never go beyond ordinary, then I just won’t play 5e.
    Which is, as I know it, not always the case. I do on occasion run into a GM open-minded enough to let me do these kinds of things. Unfortunately these are few and far between.
    I understand. Just doesn’t look like this is the game for you. Good luck and have fun!!!
    I like the globe warm...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Lio, can you close the recruitment for this?

Can one person make a table of applicants?

And everyone who's interested, can you make a post with a summary of your PC and what you'd like to see in the world?
    Reposting a summary of my character for JNA.

This is the character sheet for Moskra Rhadan. I have not yet decided on my third language. I don't know where to begin spending the starting money you gave us and am open to suggestions.

I am copy-pasting his backstory here so the following paragraphs will be in context:

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Moskra Rhadan is one of the last elves in the world of men. He worked as a soldier of fortune throughout his youth. Having little scruples, he took any job, doing more bad than good in the world.

One day, Moskra suffered a major defeat that left him for dead. However, he was rescued by monks who taught him how to do good in the world.

Almost a century later, Moskra is an accomplished vigilante who has vanquished many evils. He once had a massive network of spies and contacts that aided him in various ways. Currently, an unknown force has been dismantling his network, eliminating his allies one by one. This has forced Moskra out of a recent hiatus to save what contacts he can.

Moskra has a daughter. Still young at 110 years old, she believes him dead. Moskra has gone to great lengths to protect and provide for her without revealing her existence to anyone, and his existence to hers.

Moskra Rhadan is a high-elf vigilante inspired by the pulp hero The Shadow. He is skilled at stealth, disguise, and deception. His class is Rogue and Assassin is his Roguish Archetype. He embodies a rigid code of justice but has little patience for the "corrupt" rules and religions of men. His alignment will likely be Neutral Good. I chose the charlatan background for Moskra because of the false identity feature. Moskra's secret identity is that of a half-elf playboy known for throwing large parties in random locations. I can create more details for this identity as the story progresses. Moskra speaks in red-coloured text.

I view Moskra as a tragic character. Someone who will outlive most everyone he cares for and is slowly losing his touch with humanity. The dismantling of his network is but the start of a series of events that could very well end in his destruction. (Not necessarily his death).

Considering that no one else seems interested in playing an elf, perhaps there could be a shortage of elves in this world. Maybe they've been killed out or perhaps they simply left the world of men for greener pastures, like in the end of Return of the King. Being one of the last elves would certainly be an interesting wrinkle in Moskra's backstory, but I'm not married to it.

What I would be interested in seeing in this campaign:
    • Moskra avoids interfering in morally complex issues. His specialty is administering lethal justice to "obvious" evil-doers. I want to see Moskra pushed out of his comfort zone into situations that do not have an easy moral solution.
    • A chance to use Moskra's secret identity.
    • If the "last of the elves" plot point is ok with you, I would like to see the campaign dig into elf lore and the circumstances of their disappearance from the world of men. I'm not picky about the details.
    • Moskra's daughter being involved in the story.
    • In general, I would like to encourage the DM to hold Moskra accountable for his mistakes and to make his tragic situation go from bad to worse whenever possible.

Most of those are character-related. I don't have a huge preference about the setting or genre. I think Moskra would w fine in pretty much any of them.

As far as the church connection goes, perhaps the church was the organization that put him on the right path a century ago, back when it wasn't so corrupt. He could have worked for them originally before branching out on his own path. He stopped aiding the church when he realized that it was unrecognizable from the benevolent organization he had once known.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

"Closure is Bullsh*t"
    -James Ellroy

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Here's the basic crunch for Eugenia the Apostate. Backstory in progress.

LEOSTALES:

Spoiler: Thanks so much!
    Show
    Your advice was very helpful. I'm not on discord regularly, so will have to make do with your excellent points so far. Thanks for clearing space in your PM box, but you must be popular - you're full up again!
    You're welcome! Glad I was of help. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. (Hopefully my inbox will have enough room then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Here's an attempt at a table:

Spoiler: Applications
    Show

Player Character Classes Concept
    Lioslaith Garrik Dragonborn Paladin Fallen Angel, now hermit
    Leostales Moskra rhadan High Elf Rogue (assassin) The Shadow
    Miinstrel Hagard Red Blade Wood Elf rogue/fighter Survivalist
    Aleph Null Archon of Falling Stars
    D&D_Jedi Bladesinger
    Heavenblade Monk Former Saint
    Toliudar Eugenia the Apostate Halfling bard Former soloist & preacher, now rebel leader

Nice table! Not everyone may know who "The Shadow" is though. "Vigilante master of disguise" may be a clearer description
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

"Closure is Bullsh*t"
    -James Ellroy

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Everyone should feel free to copy-paste the table and add in new/altered information.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

10. - Top - End - #130
    Colossus in the Playground

It looks like we have four completed PCs, so I'll just take everyone.

OOC Thread
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh.

I was, waiting for information to be given about whenever or not I would be allowed to gain a new body through the previously mentioned Magic Jar and True Polymorph combination. As it was going to have a rather significant effect on my build... If I had known the recruitment would have been closed today, I would have made sure to make my character sheet with the assumption that it was not allowed.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Jedi View Post
    Oh.

I was, waiting for information to be given about whenever or not I would be allowed to gain a new body through the previously mentioned Magic Jar and True Polymorph combination. As it was going to have a rather significant effect on my build... If I had known the recruitment would have been closed today, I would have made sure to make my character sheet with the assumption that it was not allowed.
    You probably still have time to make that assumption.
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

You probably still have time to make that assumption.
    Except for the fact that I have spent all day making changes to a character sheet for a different game, and that took up all of my energy.

I probably could if I really wanted to. But JNA's snap decision to just close the recruitment with no warning does not exactly instil me with confidence.