New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Artificer homunculus servant and steel companion

Do you guys think it's a waste to keep the homunculus servant when I get steel companion at third level. Being that I can only control one at a time with my bonus action

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Artificer homunculus servant and steel companion

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post
    Do you guys think it's a waste to keep the homunculus servant when I get steel companion at third level. Being that I can only control one at a time with my bonus action
    Not necessarily, because you don't need to control both. It's context sensitive, but you can use the move and reaction of both freely without spending a bonus action. The homunculus servant's primary job is moving and reacting anyway (for spell delivery), so having it dodge every round isn't a problem. If you're using your steel defender as a mount, there are many contexts in which you'll want it to dodge anyway, also freeing up your bonus action.

If you also know Spellwrought Tattoo, meaning you have a familiar owl, the homunculus servant isn't as useful, but it's still much more durable than the owl.

Now, that said, at L3 you can only have 2 infusions "out", and as a Battlesmith, you probably want a magic weapon, so it's a tough call choosing between the homunculus and +1 armor. Really depends on your playstyle.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've used both, the Homunculus Servant served as a scout and ranged option, the Steel Defender melee. Even if you're attacking with the Homunuculus you can still utilise the SD's Defensive Pounce and even use it as a mount if you like.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Will the homunculus get an opportunity attack with his reaction. I thought he just had a ranged attack?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Will the homunculus get an opportunity attack with his reaction. I thought he just had a ranged attack?
    Anyone can make unarmed attack. The servant is horrible at it (4 str means it does 0 damage, not to mention the penalty to attack), but it can technically do it.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey does anyone know if the homunculus servant adds proficiency bonus to his range attack. Says it adds my spell casting modifier but nothing about proficiency bonus. Is that implied?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey does anyone know if the homunculus servant adds proficiency bonus to his range attack. Says it adds my spell casting modifier but nothing about proficiency bonus. Is that implied?
    Your spell casting modifier has your proficiency bonus already factored in.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Three minions sounds like a lot of work/fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    Core part of the drone alone 2 artificer build(s) is having a ton of little actions and positions floating about and being pains.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    why go only 3 when you can have so much more?

You can have your:
    -steel defender(up front walling enemies)
    -homunculus servant(at range and using ssi)
    -Cast an early Tiny servant spell(same uses as homunculus servant, can also use them to block off spaces)
    -In combat cast construct(used side by side with your steel defender for reactions, especially the metal form)
    -And eventually Animate object (i am rock gnome and make myself a bunch of clockwork toys with bombs worked into thier frames... animate them all to attack enemies, and if they take dmg and die well...kaboom)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

I picked the homunculus up for rp-related reasons (the thing was essential for a plan of my character) the other day. Having both out is bonus action intense if you want one or the other doing anything but dodge - but it has its advantages. The SD does more damage, but it’s golden feature - dishing out disadvantage - only takes an reaction. You can use your HS to deliver touch-spells, or giving out health potions, both of which can be useful if one of your teammates ever gets downed.

It does take up an infusion though. I would much prefer slotting another infusion, but after the last fight, I feel kinda hesitant since it feels like a valueable addition to my action economy.
    Last edited by Vulryn; 2021-04-20 at 01:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vulryn View Post
    I picked the homunculus up for rp-related reasons (the thing was essential for a plan of my character) the other day. Having both out is bonus action intense if you want one or the other doing anything but dodge - but it has its advantages. The SD does more damage, but it’s golden feature - dishing out disadvantage - only takes an reaction. You can use your HS to deliver touch-spells, or giving out health potions, both of which can be useful if one of your teammates ever gets downed.

It does take up an infusion though. I would much prefer slotting another infusion, but after the last fight, I feel kinda hesitant since it feels like a valueable addition to my action economy.
    SD dishing out advantage via Help is golden too, way better than its attack in my opinion.

As I've stated in other threads, at L11 you put Warding Bond on your SSI and have the SD cast it on you while you front-line and it just dodges all combat in the back, soaking half your damage which you can mend out of combat.