New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Resource Value - Character creation

In the grand scheme of things what do you consider more important when building a character? Some of them can be substituted but some can't and are highly limited. In your opinion, what is the normal hierarchy of importantance/rarity? If I missed some thing please let me know.

More important

Feat (level 1 specific or regional)
    Feat
    Class levels
    Ability points
    Gold (items, gear, wands, etc)
    Skill points

Least important

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Resource Value - Character creation

That question can't really be answered without additional context. What hierarchy are you talking about and in which context? some builds are feat starved and every feat is spoken for, some builds require strict adherence to a specific sequence of class levels, some builds are highly item dependent. an arbitrary and objective importance cannot be assigned to any of these character ingredients without first having some kind of lens through which to evaluate them. If you were to ask this question and as "what is the importance of these resources if I want to build a strong cleric?" then arguments could be made for the value of feat resources for investing in things like DMM, or ability points if someone advocates for a highly MAD build.

As it stands, without further context, I would rank class levels as first and feats as second in a general sense, with significant exceptions to this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_tea View Post
    In the grand scheme of things what do you consider more important when building a character? Some of them can be substituted but some can't and are highly limited. In your opinion, what is the normal hierarchy of importantance/rarity? If I missed some thing please let me know.

More important

Feat
    Class levels
    Ability points
    Skill points

Least important
    Attributes, attributes, attributes. In 3.5 they dictate everything you do.

Level from there because it dictates everything else
    Followed by feats, they're stronger than everything else
    And then skills, they seem to be what really makes a character
    Lastly gold, it's fun to play with, not to eat! But it fills in the holes and gaps covered by everything else
    Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    The quest is to slay the dragon, doing the sword work is easy enough, it’s getting to the part where you can sword it to death that’s hard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In the context of value as being related to scarcity, feats are almost always the most limited resource a character has. Even if your build is flexible about feats, you still have very few feats to choose compared to skill points or class levels. In this sense, they are the "most valuable" resource a character has.

In the sense of "most impactful", class levels are probably the thing that mechanically defines your character the most. All other things equal, a Rogue and a Barbarian will be play differently and want to build differently, influencing their choices on how to assign skill ranks, ability points and feats themselves.

I'd probably rank gold at the bottom, as it's the only "renewable" resource a character has. Character build resources are limited by design, and even if your party follows the WBL guidelines, during actual play if you need to earn some extra money to pay for that magic sword, you can find ways to get it.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_tea View Post

More important

Feat
    Class levels
    Ability points
    Skill points

Least important
    I wonder if I m answering wrongly, but ...

Base Class
    Attributes
    Prerequisites

Class levels
    Feat
    Skill points

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd put class levels at the top of the list.

Occasionally, I might be willing to give up a class level to gain a feat. (That is, take a level of Fighter.) But usually I'd rather have the class level.

Similarly, I'd rarely be inclined to take a class level that does nothing for me except increase an ability score, give skill points, or increase my wealth.

I'd put feats second. If a DM told me he let players start with bonus feats in exchange for using a lower point-buy, I'd strongly consider it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Personally I'm amazed someone hasn't already put "caster levels" up the top of the list.

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Personally I'm amazed someone hasn't already put "caster levels" up the top of the list.
    I did.
    Not every character is a caster, but by "base class" i mean to imply that such choice is first.