New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Circle of Land Revamped (5e)

The Circle of Land is one of the best Druid subclasses before level 6. After that, it sucks.
    Bonus Cantrip, Nature Recovery, and an expanded spell list! Awesome.
    Land’s Stride, Nature’s Ward, and Nature’s Sanctuary…not so much.

This document will serve as a complete revamp of the subclass.

This Stays the Same:

Bonus Cantrip
    When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you learn one additional druid cantrip of your choice.

Natural Recovery
    Starting at 2nd level, you can regain some of your magical energy by sitting in meditation and communing with nature. During a short rest, you choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your druid level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

For example, when you are a 4th-level druid, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level slot or two 1st-level slots.

Circle Spells
    Your mystical connection to the land infuses you with the ability to cast certain spells. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to circle spells connected to the land where you became a druid. Choose that land – arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain, swamp, or Underdark – and consult the associated list of spells.

Once you gain access to a circle spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.

These are the new changes:

Nature’s Strength
    At 6th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any Druid cantrip.
    Nature’s Gift
    Starting at 10th level, when you cast a spell of 5th level or less that targets only one creature, you can have it target a second creature.
    Nature’s Dominion
    When you reach 14th level, your mastery of nature grants you additional spellcasting ability: you can cast a 1st or 2nd level spell without expending a spell slot. You can do so a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Any advice? I don't want to make overpowered homebrew, just make a weak subclass that I love the flavor of into something I would actually want to play.
    Last edited by Jon talks a lot; 2021-04-18 at 05:07 PM.
    I steal Signatures, and like General Grevious, add them to my collection. Or, I would, if there wasn't a forum limit to signature length.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Circle of Land Revamped (5e)

I’m not the best judge of balance, but it looks decent to me. The one thing I ma be concerned over is the 14th Level feature, as it’s awfully close in function to the Wizard’s 18th Level feature, but the limited uses per long rest might be enough to balance it, though you’ll probably want a second or third opinion on that.