New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Next-strip predictions

Wait new prediction:
    Orange voice starts talking to Elan telepathically, surprised to find someone on the same wavelength, but also pleased to find someone who can be briefly distracted while it subdues the rest of the Order.

2. - Top - End - #92

Flumph

I was right: Elan's character development died.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Wait new prediction:
    Orange voice starts talking to Elan telepathically, surprised to find someone on the same wavelength, but also pleased to find someone who can be briefly distracted while it subdues the rest of the Order.
    Pretty dang close!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #94

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I was right: Elan's character development died.
    It’s just strip #152 recycled with new artwork!
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-06-15 at 04:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Wait new prediction:
    Frighteningly close, especially given past predictions-for-fun. XD
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-06-15 at 03:33 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

6. - Top - End - #96

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Frighteningly close, especially given past predictions-for-fun. XD
    I can't help but feel you're congratulating me for hitting the dartboard rather than the wall XD

7. - Top - End - #97

I can't help but feel you're congratulating me for hitting the dartboard rather than the wall XD
    It was absolutely sincere; the "frighteningly close" could have stood alone. Just trying to tip my cap for the fun predictions prior.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

1237: Despite being the bait, Elan is not Serini's actual first target when she springs the trap. Given that Elan is the one being lured away, I'm gonna guess that Haley is the intended first strike...because when you're an outnumbered rogue, you don't want the other side thinking like a rogue.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    1237: Despite being the bait, Elan is not Serini's actual first target when she springs the trap. Given that Elan is the one being lured away, I'm gonna guess that Haley is the intended first strike...because when you're an outnumbered rogue, you don't want the other side thinking like a rogue.
    Haley is most likely to figure out Serini's ploy, but V can do the most and is probably the squishiest, especially since Team Evil has no ranged attackers and Serini is one.
    Toss up as to whether Serini would go after H or V.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-22 at 11:44 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Haley is most likely to figure out Serini's ploy, but V can do the most and is probably the squishiest, especially since Team Evil has no ranged attackers and Serini is one.
    Toss up as to whether Serini would go after H or V.
    I'm still guessing that Serini will not target V first, specifically because it's the most optimal move...and therefore the most predictable.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am still going with the dwarves as the first targets. Get rid of the healers and the fight doesn't last as long. I am about six strips past that prediction, but...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm still guessing that Serini will not target V first, specifically because it's the most optimal move...and therefore the most predictable.
    Serini has quite the ego, but I'm not sure she would risk shooting herself in the foot so hard just to avoid being predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I am still going with the dwarves as the first targets. Get rid of the healers and the fight doesn't last as long. I am about six strips past that prediction, but...
    I don't know. Dwarves are a tough lot, especially if she's going to try poison again.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Serini has quite the ego, but I'm not sure she would risk shooting herself in the foot so hard just to avoid being predictable.
    I don't think it has to be about ego. Morale is a finite resource, and if your enemies feel outmaneuvered or outsmarted by an unseen adversary, they're more likely to get panicky and make stupid mistakes. Look at how Tarquin-era Linear Guild fell apart at the pyramid ambush, starting with a single clever trick that relied on getting inside Nale's head.

Having a plan and contingencies makes you feel confident. "Take out the spellcaster" is a common tactic, and we've seen The Order recently exploit that in the HPoH fight. If they're expecting their attacker to go for V, then applying all of her pressure elsewhere could be a surprise.

14. - Top - End - #104

I don't think it has to be about ego. Morale is a finite resource, and if your enemies feel outmaneuvered or outsmarted by an unseen adversary, they're more likely to get panicky and make stupid mistakes.
    I'd think that losing the most powerful member of your party in the first round can be demoralizing enough. Haley's good, but she's not quite at the top of the food chain and unlike the casters, she cannot negate invisibility, flight and the other magic tricks that she needs more than the Order needs an archer (who's extra damage dealing trick has a 0 chance of working against an epic level fogue).

Look at how Tarquin-era Linear Guild fell apart at the pyramid ambush, starting with a single clever trick that relied on getting inside Nale's head.
    That was in part just luck. There was no guarantee Nale would trigger exactly the right trap to shut Malack out. Also, Tarquin made short work of half the Order immediately thereafter (their only caster that counts included). He probably could have beaten the rest again (he was consistently shown to be a melee combatant easily superior to Roy and Haley); he just had different tactical priorities.

Having a plan and contingencies makes you feel confident. "Take out the spellcaster" is a common tactic, and we've seen The Order recently exploit that in the HPoH fight. If they're expecting their attacker to go for V, then applying all of her pressure elsewhere could be a surprise.
    A surpirse, yes, but a costly surprise if the more powerful members of the team, including those that can negate her buffs are left standing at the end.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

That's assuming Serini would succeed trying to take V down, though. If the Order knows that V is the most likely target, then V is also more likely to have additional buffs and defenses.

Picking an unorthodox target can give you a chance to strike where your opponent doesn't have their guard up as strongly.

16. - Top - End - #106

That's assuming Serini would succeed trying to take V down, though. If the Order knows that V is the most likely target, then V is also more likely to have additional buffs and defenses.

Picking an unorthodox target can give you a chance to strike where your opponent doesn't have their guard up as strongly.
    [Shrugs.] Currently everyone's buffed up for a fight with Xykon, so…
    As for unorthodox targets, wasting the element of surprise on an unorthodox target who could do precious little against you is just that: wasting the element of surprise.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-23 at 10:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Shrugs.] Currently everyone's buffed up for a fight with Xykon, so…
    As for unorthodox targets, wasting the element of surprise on an unorthodox target who could do precious little against you is just that: wasting the element of surprise.
    People put too much faith in the meta. As OotS has demonstrated numerous times, raw power is not the end-all-be-all, and Haley has shown her value to the team in "thinking like a rogue" more than once. If I was an Epic-level rogue trying to take down a capable party using guerrilla tactics, the last thing I would want is somebody like me, who can easily guess my next move.

Rich has said clearly that he cares more about telling a good story than he does about faithfully recreating actual, optimal 3.5e combat. Even if you think Haley could do "precious little" against Serini, there are valid story and character reasons for her to be a potential target here.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2021-06-23 at 11:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

People put too much faith in the meta.
    There's no such thing as too much faith in the Meta!

As OotS has demonstrated numerous times, raw power is not the end-all-be-all, and Haley has shown her value to the team in "thinking like a rogue" more than once. If I was an Epic-level rogue trying to take down a capable party using guerrilla tactics, the last thing I would want is somebody like me, who can easily guess my next move.
    Ambush tactics and magic are not specific to rogues (the latter is not their specialty, and the former is something the value of which one can easily learn in Fighter College) and the greatest advantages Serini has are 1) home ground, 2) the element of surprise and 3) obscene amounts of magic rather than "thinking like a rogue". Also, the Order doesn't know Serini is alive, let alone that she's attacking them. The Tomb is officially choke full of powerful monsters, and SLAs are a commonplace tool on those (heck, separating the weak from the herd is more of a predatory tactic than a roguish one).

Rich has said clearly that he cares more about telling a good story than he does about faithfully recreating actual, optimal 3.5e combat. Even if you think Haley could do "precious little" against Serini, there are valid story and character reasons for her to be a potential target here.
    And to facilitate that, he often ends up taking out V in the worst possible moments lest they solve the encounter on their own. Further, there are valid reasons for taking out pretty much every member of the Order other than Belkar first (elven wizards are squishy but powerful; clerics are the worst (and of crucial importance in a fight where people get hurt); beheading a group by removing their leader and chief tactician is always a wise move if you can pull it through), so I see nothing special about Haley in that regard.

(And a last little parenthetical remark: if one is a rogue and is afraid of getting predictable, one should stop thinking like a rogue.)

19. - Top - End - #109

Ambush tactics and magic are not specific to rogues (the latter is not their specialty, and the former is something the value of which one can easily learn in Fighter College) and the greatest advantages Serini has are 1) home ground, 2) the element of surprise and 3) obscene amounts of magic rather than "thinking like a rogue". Also, the Order doesn't know Serini is alive, let alone that she's attacking them. The Tomb is officially choke full of powerful monsters, and SLAs are a commonplace tool on those (heck, separating the weak from the herd is more of a predatory tactic than a roguish one).

And to facilitate that, he often ends up taking out V in the worst possible moments lest they solve the encounter on their own. Further, there are valid reasons for taking out pretty much every member of the Order other than Belkar first (elven wizards are squishy but powerful; clerics are the worst (and of crucial importance in a fight where people get hurt); beheading a group by removing their leader and chief tactician is always a wise move if you can pull it through), so I see nothing special about Haley in that regard.

(And a last little parenthetical remark: if one is a rogue and is afraid of getting predictable, one should stop thinking like a rogue.)
    I practically tripped across this one, despite having thought for a while that Serini needs to take out Haley first: If Serini's been watching, she has less motivation to do so. Her epic "thinking like a rogue" left Haley flat-footed.

Haley erroneously assumes there's no shell game in play back in panels 3/4 of 1198. Which is understandable, since she's only thinking about the rest of the chasm being "the ball". But despite learning about the portals -- and Belkar pointing out they may be in "the real dungeon, then? The one with the Gate thing?" (panel 1) -- she doesn't revisit her assumptions, and she's the first one to say they should use the portals to ambush Xykon (panel 6)... giving away the location of the ball, unless they achieve TPK (on Team Evil, that is).
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-06-23 at 06:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like I did not predict the Sea of Holes redux in 1137.

I predict that, in 1138, Haley gets held/attacked/trapped/zapped by Serini.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Haley wait, stop, just because I predicted you'd be top of Serini's hit list doesn't mean you have to willingly deliver yourself to her!

Anyway 1238: Haley (with Elan) gets separated from the group.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

1238: Roy, Durkon, V, Belkar and Minrah are attacked.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #113

1239: Elan casts Neutralize Poison (in your face, Serini!).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Looks like I did not predict the Sea of Holes redux in 1137.

I predict that, in 1138, Haley gets held/attacked/trapped/zapped by Serini.
    Nope, it was Roy. Once again, prediction didn't come true.

Prediction for 1239: Haley shoots toward the voice.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #115

Flumph

1239: Haley is doomed because of some Elan related reason.

26. - Top - End - #116

1239 (massive long shot but hey, it’s fun): Serini takes out the rest of the order except for Belkar who escapes and runs out, right into Team Evil or the MiTD.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Welp, I should've had the courage of my convictions and stuck with my prediction from awhile back, that Serini would spend her first attack trying to take out Roy. I still think this will be an opportunity to show how much they've grown, that even without their leader the order is still capable of holding together! That'd be a nice payoff given DStP and Roy's "getting drunk and botching the rousing speech" at the end of last book.

1238: The Order fights back, and gives Sunny a black eye (har har). They're having trouble with the antimagic, and Belkar remembers that Bloodfeast hasn't always been a ferocious little lizard...

28. - Top - End - #118

Lizardfolk

I'm not sure shutting off magic is in Serini's best interest. Without access to it, she is toast.
    Wow this comment dated badly huh

29. - Top - End - #119

Wow this comment dated badly huh
    Now I hate you!

30. - Top - End - #120

Lizardfolk

Now I hate you!
    Haha OK I'll tone down the insufferability. It's just so rare that I guess something!